Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Pre-Release Thread [EARLY ACCESS RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

User0001

Savant
Level 10 is a decent cut-off point, considering the power spike at 11th level and 5E being at its best in the 4-12 range or so IMO.

It will affect some classes much more than others, so fans of some classes might be disappointed (at least in combat). It's bad news for Bards, Sorcerers, and Druids, while Warlocks (especially with the lack of short rests), Clerics, Rangers, Barbarians, and Monks should be happy. However, if they add the Hexblade, all munchkins will be playing the same build anyway and won't even care.

A majority of classes in 5e get their final college, path, archetype etc between 13-15. If it's hard cap at 10 then some class-paths will be less interesting. I understand a lot of people like lower-level DnD (me included!) but I wouldn't equate 5e's mid-level gameplay to previous systems, 5e being overall more balanced and less epic. If BG3s scope is as big as one could assume, then I'd personally like to see a level 15 cap to get a more accomplished experience with all classes. Good low-level gameplay would still be present and one thing doesn't need to exclude the other, so to speak.

Last edited:

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Most of their answers sound really promising. The only thing I'm still WTF-ing at is the PC dialogue style but honestly I'm expecting the story and writing to completely suck anyway and since it's by far the least important part of the game for me, it's whatever

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
What's there about rests? So most stuff is on cooldowns, and best stuff on camp rest?
Short rest abilities are refreshed at the end of a fight. Long rest stays the same.
Not a big fan of it, but heh, win some, loose some.
Short rest also restores hp. What about hp?

If we're to take their answers literally, then you would spend hit dice after combat and once you run out, you wouldn't be able to regain hit points (sans spells and shit) until you took a long rest. No saying if that's actually how it works, but if they literally mean "any peace time is a short rest" then that's what it should mean.

Decado

Old time handsome face wrecker
Patron
Codex 2014
Anyone who willingly takes Haer Dalis and invests himself in BG2 romance deserves getting cucked.
Haer'Dalis is CN, meaning working best for a Chaotic or Neutral Charname/party composition, meaning if you strictly roleplay the axis, you should be in a romance with Jaheira. Also, the dialogue(s) Jaheira has with Haer'Dalis are much more telling about his... touch-and-go approach to relationships.

Also... Haer'Dalis is *never* a bad choice. Not only he has access to thief-only high level traps, he also can equip any item, and can easily switch between tornado of death, and tank.

You really want a bad choice, look no further than Nalia. That's a bad choice. lol

I'm covering this in my retrospective but as a preview:

Haer Daelis fucking sucks.

Nalia also does suck.

There are two major flaws in BGII NPC distribution: too many multi/dual classed characters, and this problem being especially true for thieves.

Last edited:
Whew... Went full autistic,spent several minutes trying to make a POSITIVE thread advocating for the cause of a six men party on Larian forum: http://forums.larian.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=663555
It's backfiring immediately with people who are giving Larian their own excuse for why four slots is perfect or even too much.

I guess no matter the struggle I really can't have nice things.

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
Whew... Went full autistic,spent several minutes trying to make a POSITIVE thread advocating for the cause of a six men party on Larian forum: http://forums.larian.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=663555
It's backfiring immediately with people who are giving Larian their own excuse for why four slots is perfect or even too much.

Firefox won't let me trigger myself.

Warning: Potential Security Risk Ahead

Firefox detected a potential security threat and did not continue to forums.larian.com.

Riddler

Arcane
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
doesn't that mean that just one of these is a challenge for 4-5 level 1 characters?
Theoretically, yes, but there's a tendency in 5E for creatures to be way weaker than their CR would indicate. They have shitty stats and shitty saves compared to the PCs. I didn't see them use Devour Intellect in the demo, which is what they are all about, so they are even weaker.

There is also the fact that you should be able to handle a CR level equal to your party level without really breaking a sweat. If you are looking to challenge a party you need to be a couple of CR levels up.

Ontopoly

Disco Hitler

Larian puts 4 character party. Larian fanboys: "we didn't like 6 characters anyways"

BG3 is likely going to be a case of having good ideas marred by Larian's execution.

Seems like Larian has no shortage of bad ideas though.
Sometimes it's starting to feel like Larian just hates to have a full win.
For all the good things they achieved with their games (and I won't be a shitlord claiming there's none here) they keep CRIPPLING their own productions with a series of incredibly baffling design decisions that sometime manage to harm the entire thing for no apparent reason.
We aren't even talking about saving on the budget, here. Some of the stupid things they did in the past were basically every bit as expensive as the alternate options.

Slaver1

Savant
Larian have destroyed the hype for a new Baldurs Gate game in record time. Should have known where this was going the second they showed the high quality cinematic to impress the normies. The horrible characterization geared to impress 12-year olds via a handful of pre-made Origin characters (fuck you Larian) together with one of the more awful dialogue systems we've seen in an RPG are deal breakers in and of themselves. That's before the cartoonish hell that is the Larian audiovisual experience assaults your senses.

They truly are a distinctly terrible developer to be handling this project. It's not that they're incapable. More damning yet is that they're unwilling to evoke any part of the Baldurs Gate experience as we know it.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Anyone who willingly takes Haer Dalis and invests himself in BG2 romance deserves getting cucked.
Haer'Dalis is CN, meaning working best for a Chaotic or Neutral Charname/party composition, meaning if you strictly roleplay the axis, you should be in a romance with Jaheira. Also, the dialogue(s) Jaheira has with Haer'Dalis are much more telling about his... touch-and-go approach to relationships.

Also... Haer'Dalis is *never* a bad choice. Not only he has access to thief-only high level traps, he also can equip any item, and can easily switch between tornado of death, and tank.

You really want a bad choice, look no further than Nalia. That's a bad choice. lol

I'm covering this in my retrospective but as a preview:

Haer Daelis fucking sucks.

Nalia also does suck.

There a two major flaws in BGII NPC distribution: too many multi/dual classed characters. This is especially true for thieves.
Yeah,the only good multy class was the pigeon elf girl. The rest were waste of levels more or less. Also too many fucking thieves lol.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

Larian puts 4 character party. Larian fanboys: "we didn't like 6 characters anyways"
Yeah,this thread is filled with fanboy retards and apologists. It is really disgusting to read. Every new day there is new dumbing down and new wave of post about why it is a good thing. Thank God that i am not an admin or i would have banned half the shills here!

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
There is no further dumbing down, lolol. It's confirmed we get feats, subclasses, and multi-classing. Where is the decline in this AMA?

Vatnik Wumao
Where is the decline in this AMA?
Circled it for you, comrade.
VwdOfPK.png

In all due honesty, I agree that it's quite incline for a combatfag. Sadly, this does not make it up for me. L*rian is still L*rian.

Ontopoly

Disco Hitler
Where is the decline in this AMA?
Circled it for you, comrade.
VwdOfPK.png

In all due honesty, I agree that it's quite incline for a combatfag. Sadly, this does not make it up for me. L*rian is still L*rian.
How's it incline for someone who likes combat? It's low level so you have less tools and don't get to grow into your character and Alpha won't even have feats. If Alpha won't have feats, doesn't seem like there will be a ton of emphasis on them even when the game is released. The only thing in this game that could even be considered incline is TB if you're into that type of thing. Nothing else about it can even come close to incline. Imagine even an alpha dnd game without feats...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom