Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

CD Projekt already working on their next RPG - possibly set in Witcher universe but not Witcher 4

Vatnik Wumao
Didn't they already say they were done with Geralt?
No Geralt = meh
Based on the quality of their sidequests in the trilogy and Neve's portrayal in Thronebreaker, I trust in CDPR's writing skills for a protagonist even in the absence of source material. Only thing I hope is that they do not go the route of Cyberpunk and make him a blank slate, but rather continue the tradition of a preset character.

Codex Year of the Donut
Didn't they already say they were done with Geralt?
No Geralt = meh
Based on the quality of their sidequests in the trilogy and Neve's portrayal in Thronebreaker, I trust in CDPR's writing skills for a protagonist even in the absence of source material. Only thing I hope is that they do not go the route of Cyberpunk and make him a blank slate, but rather continue the tradition of a preset character.
Thronebreaker would have been a great game if it was an actual RPG instead of a weird card-puzzle game.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
I would play prequel starring Vesemir. Seems like a cool old guy.
I would prefer if they'd focus on a normal human instead. Either an already established warrior noble akin to Meve or a soldier burning through the ranks in the backdrop of war.

Honestly, it would be a waste of a setting. I guess it can be interesting thematically (normal human in fantasy world) but it means that most of your gameplay will be fighting humans and "low tier" monster.

Alternatively, a game starring sorceress and their REAL POLITIK. Narrative wise would be interesting. Gameplay-wise sorceress are not supposed to be walking around killing everything with magic, so a party based RPG?

Vatnik Wumao
I would prefer if they'd focus on a normal human instead. Either an already established warrior noble akin to Meve or a soldier burning through the ranks in the backdrop of war.

Honestly, it would be a waste of a setting. I guess it can be interesting thematically (normal human in fantasy world) but it means that most of your gameplay will be fighting humans and "low tier" monster.

Alternatively, a game starring sorceress and their REAL POLITIK. Narrative wise would be interesting. Gameplay-wise sorceress are not supposed to be walking around killing everything with magic, so a party based RPG?
Eh, both could work. I think that the Witcher world is rich enough as to permit other tales to be told within it. And a normal human can work if the writers focus on the low fantasy aspect of the setting. The Witcher is at its best when it deals with the social issues of the setting (from the impoverishment of the lower classes and the racial conflict between men and other races to the intrigues of the court and the international politics pursued by kings). The issue with sorcerers and high tier monsters is that the former do not tend to hunt the latter outside of exceptional circumstances, so I'd be wary of such a protagonist becoming a mary sue as to justify the gameplay. I don't want CDPR's take on BioWare's Inquisitor.

A 'regular' witcher is a massive step down in power from Geralt to begin with :M
Fair enough, though it is always risky to develop as PC an already established (and beloved) NPC. And in general I think that the Witcher setting shouldn't be resumed to a one trick pony with its Witcher protagonist.

ADL

Prophet
Cyberpunk 2077 and Cyberpunk Online will be the gauge on how I feel about this going forward. I'd love a Kingdom Come: Deliverance-esque game set in the Witcher universe.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Ciri spinoff seems like a no-brainer to me, business wise, since they (and the Netflix show) have made her a known character that could be promoted. Could also see a generic Witcher you design though, set way before the main games.

wahrk

Learned
I have a hard time seeing them do a Witcher game centered on some random nobody. It would appeal to some but I don’t know how they’d sell that to the average person. People who liked the Witcher 3 are going to want the same scope of adventure that you get with Gerald, and you won’t have that if your main character is some average grunt.

If I had to guess, Ciri seems like a natural choice. We already got some playable sections in W3 and she’s now a known character that has potential for lots of other adventures.

Danikas

Arcane
  • Cyberpunk still on track for Sep, has been submitted to age rating agencies.

• Does not expect COVID-19 to impact game development but is too early to comment on full impact.

• Reviewers will get the game weeks before the release date with embargo set for weekend prior to release.

• Pre orders for Cyberpunk higher than Witcher 3 at same point in time.

• After Cyberpunk, one team will work on add ons, another on online ver. of the game.

• A third team will work on a new single player title in the Witcher universe. May take 4 years to complete, will be a high quality RPG.

• Plan going forward is to focus on Witcher and Cyberpunk IP's.
source

Zer0wing

Cipher
Only thing I hope is that they do not go the route of Cyberpunk and make him a blank slate, but rather continue the tradition of a preset character.
Cyberpunk character is not a blank slate but just has three different backgrounds to choose from. So I don't think CDPR will fuck up writing the protagonist.

Vatnik Wumao
Only thing I hope is that they do not go the route of Cyberpunk and make him a blank slate, but rather continue the tradition of a preset character.
Cyberpunk character is not a blank slate but just has three different backgrounds to choose from. So I don't think CDPR will fuck up writing the protagonist.
With several backgrounds and also gender choice, it will be more akin to Mass Effect rather than Witcher. I'm cautiously optimistic about Cyberpunk though.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron

I'd prefer nothing, so you can decide who your character was. I like as little setup as possible for the PC. That said, obviously CDPR went the other way with Witcher, and it worked well for them.

ADL

Prophet
Cyberpunk is definitely going for something grandiose with the story and the Silverhand chip so it makes sense for that particular story. I hope they're going in a less predefined direction for Cyberpunk Online.

jf8350143

Liturgist
The most obvious choice is a game with Ciri, her ability to travel across worlds has so much potential.

But I would prefer to have a game where you choose who you play as, aka a full-blown character creation system.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom