Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

NWN 2 OC

Xavier

Novice
So I started playing NWN 2 about a week ago and I'm not really enjoying it. I have only played about 3 hours so I guess it might be a bit too early to judge, but up to now, the story is boring, combats are far too easy, characters & dialogues aren't really interesting and I haven't noticed any real C&C.

Does it get any better or should I stop playing right now? Also, should I give MotB a try, since it seems quite liked around here, even if I don't complete the OC?

NiM82

Prophet
I was about as unimpressed as you at that stage, it does pick up a bit towards the middle/end once you go on trial, the war kicks off and stuff, but it's nothing to write home about really. If it's too painful to play, just read a synopsis of the story on wiki and jump into MoTB, it's miles better as widely noted.

inwoker

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Hi. I am new here. I'd like to become member of the codex. As a start I'd like to state 'my opinion is similar to hivemind'. Now I'm the one of you.

Serious_Business

Best Poster on the Codex
Please do a search you will find that this has already been dicussed before more than once. :)

DICKHEAD FUCK CUNT SHIT FUCKING GO TO HELL

Elric

Novice
Xavier said:
Does it get any better or should I stop playing right now? Also, should I give MotB a try, since it seems quite liked around here, even if I don't complete the OC?
Why did you bother asking a question you already knew the answer to?

dolio

Scholar
If you give up now, how will you appreciate the cameos in the expansions?

What you should do is restart from the beginning with the acclaimed Bishop romance mod.

NWN 2 OC is utter shit. Still haven't picked up Mask of the Betrayer because that would actually mean I would have to buy that piece of shit along with it now. Go for Mask of the Betrayer. Epic Gnolls wielding +4 vorpal dildos of penetration at every corner is barely tolerable with the supposedly amazing choices, role-playing, writing,and companions of Mask of the Betrayer; however orc caves, more orc caves, and EVEN FUCKING MORE ORC CAVES :hulkout: aren't really tolerable when the closest thing to good role-playing is a trial that amounts to a bunch of fluff dialogue as no matter what you have to fight some douchebag. How Bioware of Obsidian.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
aurora engine is terrible anyway with parties.

Hory

Erudite
Xavier said:
So I started playing NWN 2 about a week ago and I'm not really enjoying it. I have only played about 3 hours so I guess it might be a bit too early to judge, but up to now, the story is boring, combats are far too easy, characters & dialogues aren't really interesting and I haven't noticed any real C&C.
Hello.
This is an automated response.
My language recognition routines indicate that you may be unfamiliar with current events pertaining to and the status of interactive entertainment. The reasons for these may be:
a) You are a time traveler.
b) You are schizophrenic.
c) You are Cleveland Mark Blakemore.
d) Other.

That said, I shall now bring you up-to-date by selecting a review of the video game industry from people like you.

[Accessing review]
"It fucking sucks."
[End review]

I wish to congratulate you for your newfound knowledge.
Enjoy your stay!

Xavier

Novice
inwoker said:
Hi. I am new here. I'd like to become member of the codex. As a start I'd like to state 'my opinion is similar to hivemind'. Now I'm the one of you.

Welcome!

Serious_Business said:
Please do a search you will find that this has already been dicussed before more than once. :)

You have to admit the google codex search is crap.

Edit: I just noticed the search tab. I guess I have no excuse now.

Elric said:
Why did you bother asking a question you already knew the answer to?

I mostly wanted to know if the game eventually got better & if it was recommended to finish the OC to fully enjoy MotB. That I didn't know.

I guess I'll give the OC a few more hours to make up my mind.

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
It does get better. Play until the end of Act 1 and then make your decision. If you don't like it by then I'd say it's safe to quit.

P.S.- Don't let all the angry cunts get you down.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
NWN2 OC - 7.5

MOTB - 8.5

SOZ - 5 (and that's fuckin' being generous for such a SOZZY game!)

racofer

Thread Incliner
Xavier said:

Why the fuck did you even start?

janjetina

Arcane
Patron
Torment: Tides of Numenera
OC would be much better if there was a mod that enables the player to skip the chapter 1 and still get XP rewards and a few items.
Definitely play MOTB, whether you decide to stick with OC or not (it gets better after chapter 1).

MasPingon

Arcane
sign-gtfo-400.jpg

Xavier

Novice
Dicksmoker said:
P.S.- Don't let all the angry cunts get you down.

Don't worry, I have been lurking the codex for a while and I know what to expect. But these angry cunts are also part of why I enjoy visiting the codex. Sometimes they are genuinely entertaining.

racofer said:
Why the fuck did you even start?

I finally got a computer capable of handling post 2002 games. I have to try some of those "next gen" games.

AlanC9

Liturgist
Barghest said:
Out of interest, can the new races/classes in SoZ be played in the OC?

Sure, though OC dialogues aren't modified to take this into account. But there's little that's race/class specific in the first place.

Livonya

Augur
Patron
Xavier said:

I only recently bought NWN2 gold.

I just finished the NWN2 OC two days ago.

Like you I wasn't too happy with the beginning, but I have to admit in the end I thought the game was quite good.

I finished the game in a 17 hour play session where I stayed up all night and finished the game at like 7 AM. So maybe my brain was fried. But when it was all said and done I was very happy with the game.

My expectations were low, so I am sure that helped.

I just started MOTB and it seems even better.

In any event, I would give NWN2 OC 2 thumbs up, which surprised me as I avoided it as I hated NWN1 so much.

- Livonoya

Ebonsword

Arcane
I actually quite enjoyed the campaign in Neverwinter Nights 2.

I don't know, maybe it was just because I finally had a game where I could make a character who looked like they just stepped out of a Caravaggio painting and wielded rapier and dagger.

That's probably not the only reason, though, since I played through it at least four times.

I will say, though, that if you think it's easy now...that probably won't change (unless you totally gimp yourself in combat by not using available buffs or by not crafting powerful magic items for your characters).

cutterjohn

Cipher
I dunno, I found the first chapter to be OK, just WAY too long. Ch. 2 is definitely MUCH better though.

I've made it through about half of the stronghold building and have just about lost all will to ever finish it off, but I bought MotB started that with a new char then decided to wait until I finish the OC then bring along my OC char. However, like I mentioned earlier I still have NOT ever finished the OC once since NWN2 came out. Maybe I'll take a break from playing Silvern Castle (//gs emulator) and force myself to bumrush to the ending of the OC.

(I had some brief fun also when I first got it, trying all of the nifty conversation options only to find it only minimally changed some text, yet you almost always ended up with the same final result AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom