Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eador Genesis

Matod

Novice
also for chating ai topic yes ai is cheating i played game when he got on turn 18 lvl 28 archmage overlod difficulty also lvl 25 commander

Matod

Novice
i give you short comparsion
There is eador genesis 2d classic ok game
There is eador new horizonts mod is far the best really great tons of content, great ai really upgrade of genesis
Eador motbw its same as genesis but in 3d and really buggy , only plus is semi working MP
Eador imperium same as motbw just little bit more units and only single player

Overall if you play anything else than new horizonts you strip yourself of 500+ artifacts units spells etc.. and play with lot stupider ai

Matod

Novice
Are any if the sequels worth getting?
There is eador new horizonts mod is far the best really great tons of content, great ai really upgrade of genesis
Eador motbw its same as genesis but in 3d and really buggy , only plus is semi working MP

Overall if you play anything else than new horizonts you strip yourself of 500+ artifacts units spells etc.. and play with lot stupider ai

CuckMasher

Novice
Are any if the sequels worth getting?

Cool thanks.

ClaviculaZ

Novice
Having played a bit of Eador Genesis and MoTBW in the past, I have recently started with the New Horizons Mod V2.81a and I can only say that it's a marvelous experience. The feeling really reminds me of the addictive atmosphere that HOMM 3 offered to me in my early teenage years and this is really difficult to accomplish considering that I am now old and jaded and I found most similar games rather lackluster in recent years. I totally need to recommend this to everyone who has ever cherished a fantasy TBS.
The only negative point is that some of the new elements really feel out of place (whereas others fit perfectly). The new portraits are a big issue and some of the creatures such as the way that Gnolls are implemented into the game ( I am especially referring to their totally overpowered rebirth as chaos demons) or the "ghost whisperer" who is reminiscent of a King's Bounty unit. There are certainly some balance issues connected with some of those new creatures, but this takes away surprisingly little from the otherwise mesmerizing experience.

AgentFransis

Cipher
Patron
I find the portraits amusing and don't mind them. Who will my hero be this time, Michael Jordan or Jack Nicholson?

But as you say, some of the new units don't fit stylistically or mechanically. I particularly dislike the bird people who look like ass and are a pain to fight. Will usually avoid them. Behemot still looks out of place and it's very unfortunate to find one in your third ring provinces. And the witcher is an odd addition. Big fan of the dark elves and skaven though.

Alkaryl are extremely OP, among the strongest factions.
I've tried alliances with most races, and Eadors biggest problem is sadly imbalance.
It's not only a question about effectiveness/stats, but also how you get the units. The buildings/resources needed to get the troops.
That's why you see the AI with the same troops every game. Thugs/Bodyguards/Horsemen etc.

wortkarg

Literate
The portraits can be easily replaced and the units and races that don't fit ... it's all personal taste, e.g. i think that the witcher fits the Eador world pretty well. There are a few "worlds" for World Generator to remove some new races (Alkaryl, Drow and Ratmen). World Generator is a program to apply "worlds" to the Eador (like worlds from Eador Masters of the Broken World). The program has not yet been translated (is in Russian). The Wiki for World Generator is here (if anybody want to use it, i would highly recommend make a backup of the Eador folder and first auto-translate and read the wiki to understand how the program works).

There are only few Alkaryl provinces and i wouldn't say that Alkaryl are OP. They are comparable to many other races and "own" units. It all depends on hero and army. They are not a threat for say solo Paladin. The alliance with Alkaryl is the most difficult one, but i wouldn't say they are worth it. Icarus is relatively weak and the rest ... some units are good, some rather average or even below average.

The portraits can be easily replaced and the units and races that don't fit ... it's all personal taste, e.g. i think that the witcher fits the Eador world pretty well. There are a few "worlds" for World Generator to remove some new races (Alkaryl, Drow and Ratmen). World Generator is a program to apply "worlds" to the Eador (like worlds from Eador Masters of the Broken World). The program has not yet been translated (is in Russian). The Wiki for World Generator is here (if anybody want to use it, i would highly recommend make a backup of the Eador folder and first auto-translate and read the wiki to understand how the program works).

There are only few Alkaryl provinces and i wouldn't say that Alkaryl are OP. They are comparable to many other races and "own" units. It all depends on hero and army. They are not a threat for say solo Paladin. The alliance with Alkaryl is the most difficult one, but i wouldn't say they are worth it. Icarus is relatively weak and the rest ... some units are good, some rather average or even below average.

I disagree.
I've played most alliances to the max units/levels and imo Alkaryl are up there among the strongest - at least when they are maxed out.
I was actually contemplating doing a "power ranking" for all the factions, but it seems like a lot of work :)

AgentFransis

Cipher
Patron
They're definitely a threat for solo warriors unless you have a specific kit. No retaliation so it takes a long time to kill them all and some of them have magic ranged attacks that shred you.

They might not be that big a thread if you're facing them as the AI, but backed with a Commander they're damn strong.
The summon just never stops, and you can totally overwhelm your opponent. It's a bit like the Ratmen, just better. Ratmen sucks when you meet enemies that don't care about poison or stamina.

wortkarg

Literate
I disagree.
I've played most alliances to the max units/levels and imo Alkaryl are up there among the strongest - at least when they are maxed out.
I don't say, that they are weak, they are among the strongest, yes, but there are another races that are very strong as well (and it's a way easier to make an alliance with them). Actually castle units are often stronger than the racial units, if maxed out. Berserker or Ironclad are significantly better than Icarus (some rank 2-4 Alkaryl are good though, but there are always a comparable alternative from castle).

They're definitely a threat for solo warriors unless you have a specific kit. No retaliation so it takes a long time to kill them all and some of them have magic ranged attacks that shred you.
"Cat's Reflexes" and Agility will be ignored (it's a level 1 spell). There are a few weapons with Vigilance as well (low rarity). If the warrior has no Vigilance, Alkaryl are rather annoying than dangerous. It means that the warrior can't kill all enemies at once and need to attack them again on the next turn to clear the survivors. The solo warrior's weaknesses are poison and high damage enemies (especially magic damage), but Alkaryl have neither poison nor high damage (except for Arisen Luminary perhaps, but they are not that dangerous).

Matod

Novice
you dont take in consideration that to get alkaryl aliance is very hard to get , and yes they are very powerfu, reincarnation ability its just too strong on t3 unit. And i dont understand talks about balance since game is random based , so shit just happends.Everything depends on map size terains oponents etc , you cant just say something is op everything in this game is situational so you need adapt.If enemy use alkaryl you will be stupid to use op evil units you be crushed anyway...

wortkarg

Literate
reincarnation ability its just too strong on t3 unit
It's balanced by low HP. You can compare Arisen Luminary to Champion. A 30th level Arisen Luminary has something like 31 HP, with reincarnation ca 62 HP and Champion has 55, only slightly lower, but he has a way better defences (40 vs 23 in total). Champions are harder to kill even in spite of reincarnation and regeneration, because of high defences and first strike. As of attack, it depends. Champion has a little higher base attacks, First Strike, Charge 4 (vs 1) and Armorpiercing Strike, but Arisen Luminary has Battle Frenzy 6 and Smite Evil 6 (vs 1). I would say that Arisen Luminary has a bit better attacks in average, but as i said, lower defences, so he is comparable to Champion. Arisen Luminary gains levels really fast though, because of relatively low experience modifier. And Arisen Luminary is imo the best Alkaryl unit, so even the best unit is comparable to the best castle units.

Matod

Novice
well in MP battles is Arisen luminary best much better than knights.. especially you dont have time to have him at lvl 30 , and knight then champion to lvl 58... (18 lvls for upgrade) so this 2 units are not possible to compare since you can have really strong Arisen luminary by turn 60 , you wont have even champion on turn 60...

wortkarg

Literate
well in MP battles is Arisen luminary best much better than knights.. especially you dont have time to have him at lvl 30 , and knight then champion to lvl 58... (18 lvls for upgrade) so this 2 units are not possible to compare since you can have really strong Arisen luminary by turn 60 , you wont have even champion on turn 60...
If you're short of time, then i agree, Arisen Luminary is a clear winner, he is better than Knight, if you can afford him (he costs like 2 Knights). The problem with Alkaryl is, that they are pretty rare, the racial quest is the hardest one and their strongest unit and the only one that can deal enough damage to non evil enemies has rank 3. Arisen Luminary is good, no doubt, especially in early/mid game, but other Alkaryl are not that good (they are mostly not bad either, but still). Additionally Alkaryl are very expensive.

Matod

Novice
well yes but if your oponent goes for evil karma you got almost autowin even with other alkry units wich are weaker i agree but as i said its optional you need to adapt to game not what you think its op , if your oponent play evil karma deely you get alakyr aliance asap and you won the game..

bavarian kid

Educated
hows the turn times in big maps?
eador.cfg contains new setting option "AI turn depth (0 - light/1 - medium/2 - high, default 1): 1"

At least theoretically;), light turn depth should speed things up.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom