Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Shadenuat

Arcane
That's one which states that hold person is bad spell and fireballs are weak?

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Fireball greatest problem on PF:KM is the team damage... On ToEE the greatest problem was that most mobs had good reflex saves

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
It's not virus which is biggest threat to humanity but people who can't land fireballs so they won't hurt their party, those should be isolated from the rest of the world.

To be fair toons don't stand still on RTwP like they do for the Luddite Amish TBtard Prudes.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
It's not virus which is biggest threat to humanity but people who can't land fireballs so they won't hurt their party, those should be isolated from the rest of the world.
But your party stands up after the battle while the enemy don't. Also you could build your blond lover as a tank that will just ignore it lol.

Yosharian

Arcane
Hold Person is a force multiplier, it can be relatively weak in the hands of a PC but when NPCs are casting it on you and you're surrounded by monsters, it can be fucking deadly even if it only works half the time

I don't think it's a bad spell but it's very unreliable, that's the problem

I think Treantmonk goes overboard a bit in his criticism of spells like Hold Person and Fireball, but what he's saying isn't completely wrong. I mean Fireball can be a very underwhelming spell sometimes.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Hold Person relies on encounter design. The more trashy/faceless mobs there are, the more useless it becomes in a given fight. If it's a party vs party style fight (which includes boss + powerful minions), it's tremendously useful. Fireball is deadly when you can spam it from multiple people (from necklaces for example) while a person with fire protection tanks.

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Optimized Hold Person/Hold Monster - Enchantments in general - is incredibly powerful, even if situational. It becomes incredibly apparent especially if you have the Serpentine or Undead Bloodline(s), which allows you to affect animals/magical beasts/monstrous humanoids or undead humanoids, respectively, or the Fey Bloodline, which is far more restrictive, but adds a solid +2 DC.

As good an excuse to dip Sorcerer or Eldritch Scion (which gets Bloodline Arcana in PF:K, IIRC) as a Bard as any. I wish there was a bard archetype that got a bloodline.

now that this is going to be made for sure, whos gonna make a Starfinder game?
I maintain that it would not work well in the PF:K format, but that it'd actually be a great game for something made by Larian. The setting is pretty gonzo, and the Larian humor wouldn't be out of place. And just like in Larian games, the gearing threadmill is absolutely shit, and would be improved with randomization of weapons and armor anyway. The free-movement turn-based 3D would work well with the more modern, sci-fi feel, and fairly easily generated large areas would lend itself to the primarily ranged combat, as opposed to the by necessity fairly small hand-crafted areas of a game like PF:K.

I mean, Larian won't do it, of course, because they're busy sodomizing Baldur's Gate's corpse like a bunch of gay-for-pay necrophiles, and Paizo has a deal with Owlcat, not Larian, and Hasbro would likely not want Larian working with Paizo on anything, either, for "political" reasons of hunting in the same market. I have no doubt that Owlcat could make a good version of it, though - maybe even a more competent version than Paizo themselves, given Owlcat's apparent love for 3.X - but it'd have to be very different from their Pathfinder games and I'd honestly prefer to see them keep working on Pathfinder games and just keep driving home an evolutionary approach to game serialization. Starfinder wouldn't fit in there at all - but Iron Gods might, which I guess would give them a lot of potential assets to use in a Starfinder game down the line, who knows?

Technomancer

Liturgist
It becomes incredibly apparent especially if you have the Serpentine or Undead Bloodline(s), which allows you to affect animals/magical beasts/monstrous humanoids or undead humanoids, respectively, or the Fey Bloodline, which is far more restrictive, but adds a solid +2 DC.
I think quippoth div spawn tiefling adds another +1 to DC.

To add insult to injury you literally have a spell to make your party immune from friendly fire flame damage.

Last edited:

Nerevar

N'wah
Patron
Repressed Homosexual
Make the Codex Great Again! Pathfinder: Wrath
One thing I am worried about with Pf:wotr is the amount of brony (furry,faggot ETC) influence specifically they have with the game. It seems like these creatures are making a coordinated effort to fuck the game up.

I've noticed this when talking about PF:K certain subjects will receive the same copy paste incorrect arguments and even observing the social media of the company it is VERY reminiscent of Nu-Bioware.

Hopefully it is nothing...

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
One thing I am worried about with Pf:wotr is the amount of brony (furry,faggot ETC) influence specifically they have with the game. It seems like these creatures are making a coordinated effort to fuck the game up.

I've noticed this when talking about PF:K certain subjects will receive the same copy paste incorrect arguments and even observing the social media of the company it is VERY reminiscent of Nu-Bioware.

Hopefully it is nothing...
You could just kill them all. What kind of a crusader will tolerate such impurities is beyond me. After all you can't have a crusade without infidels to crucify.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I know, It is a silly question. I will not just create a thread to ask this and don't know any better place to post.

Between a LV 20 Hellfire Warlock from 3.5 D&D and a lv 20 Winter Witch from Pathfinder, who is stronger and why?

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
I know, It is a silly question. I will not just create a thread to ask this and don't know any better place to post.

Between a LV 20 Hellfire Warlock from 3.5 D&D and a lv 20 Winter Witch from Pathfinder, who is stronger and why?
The Witch reaches 9th level spells, so there is nothing to debate.

The Witch is a tier 2 class: it can do almost anything, but with less destructive tools compared to classes that can change their spells at will, like Druid or Wizard.

The Warlock is a tier 4 class: it can do one thing very well (inflicting damage) and is not completely useless when it can't rely on his main trick (because you still have some useful invocations).

However, these considerations take into account many things that are possible only in a PnP campaign. In a videogame adaptations, casters' versatility is almost nullified. One clear example: the Kineticist is probably the weakest class in PnP Pathfinder, but is regarded as one of the most broken classes in P:K.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
By the way, what is this concept of class tiers - in my observations, it mainly signifies how much a class is twisting the core rules, or how much it can break the game?

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
By the way, what is this concept of class tiers - in my observations, it mainly signifies how much a class is twisting the core rules, or how much it can break the game?
You can read everything about it here.

It's not only about "game-breaking" capabilities, it also takes into account how many things a class can do and how well it can do them.

However, the tier system is almost pointless when we start talking about videogames, because every videogame adaptation imposes strict rules on casters that do not exist in PnP. In Kingmaker the Wizard spells list has 12 9th-level spells; in PnP Pathfinder that number is around 60. Moreover, the only relevant spells in a videogame are the combat related ones, while in PnP you have endless possibilities to influence the world around you.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom