Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline RPG Codex's Top Non-RPG PC games - VOTE THREAD

Gregz

Arcane
One of the most powerful features of Bayesian Analysis, which felipepe uses in these polls, is that just a few people voting for obscure titles can make an impact.
This particular voting system doesn't work very well with Bayesian because then giving a game 1 point would be worse than not voting for it at all.

One of the valuable services pepe provides is that he breaks down the results in several different ways to provide maximum visibility into the data.

No vote is a wasted vote, vote your conscience.

jebsmoker

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In I helped put crap in Monomyth
What the hell, all you young retardos have pushed me over the edge :

5 Points :

Lord of the Rings Online
Any John Tiller Panzer Campaigns title
Any John Tiller Panzer Battles title
Any John Tiller Squad Battles title
Gary Grigsby's War In The West
Gary Grigsby's War In The East
Football Manager
Out of the Park Baseball

3 Points :

Any John Tiller Civil War Battles title (redone Campaign series)
Flashpoint Campaigns : Red Storm
Terminal Conflict
Wolfenstein: The Old Blood
Twilight Struggle

1 Point :

The Operational Art of War 1-4
Alea Jacta Est
Endless Legend
Eastside Hockey Manager
Crusader Kings II
Cogmind
Panzer Corps

hell fucking yes john tiller. glad to see i'm not the only grognard dope here

RolePlayer

Augur
When people list starcraft i'm pretty sure they are referring to starcraft and the broodwar expansion ... broodwar was basically everything great about starcraft with a few new units added to each race and then another 30-level campaign that expanded on the story. Same with Warcraft 3 and The Frozen Throne expansion I'd imagine.

Thunar

Educated
5 Points:
Thief 2
UFO: Ennemy Unknown
Dwarf Fortress
Street Fighter 2 (There's a dos and amiga version ha!)
Unity of Command

3 Points:
Doom 2
Super Meat Boy
Half Life 1
Hotline Miami
Panzer General

1 Point:
Dishonored
The Binding of Isaac (Afterbirth+ or rebirth, they're all the same game with more stuff.)
Dishonored 2
Max Payne 2
The Operational Art of War 3
Close Combat 2
Quake 2
The Bizarre Adventures of Woodruff and the Schnibble
Mafia 2
Gary Grisby's War in the East

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
You can't just write "tomb raider", "dawn of war" or "king's bounty" and expect felipepepe to be able to read your mind as to which of the numerous games it could be referring to.
Not sure about Dawn of War but Tomb Raider and King's Bounty refer to first games obviously (although there is 2013 Tomb Raider the default one is from 1996). Just like Fallout refers to Fallout 1.

Which "first" King's Bounty game? The original from 1990, King's Bounty: The Legend from 2008, or the sequel to that one, Armored Princess?

Or what about Colonization and Pirates? Are people referring to the original 1993/1987 releases, or the 'updated' editions released in the 21st century?

If you give space for confusion, it'll happily fill up all that space in record time.

Gregz

Arcane
You can't just write "tomb raider", "dawn of war" or "king's bounty" and expect felipepepe to be able to read your mind as to which of the numerous games it could be referring to.
Not sure about Dawn of War but Tomb Raider and King's Bounty refer to first games obviously (although there is 2013 Tomb Raider the default one is from 1996). Just like Fallout refers to Fallout 1.

Which "first" King's Bounty game? The original from 1990, King's Bounty: The Legend from 2008, or the sequel to that one, Armored Princess?

Or what about Colonization and Pirates? Are people referring to the original 1993/1987 releases, or the 'updated' editions released in the 21st century?

If you give space for confusion, it'll happily fill up all that space in record time.

This is going to cause problems for sure. Crossworlds is a very minor DLC for Armored Princess, but it's the version I prefer. So I had to put them both together as the same vote. Hopefully felipepepe will fold all DLC votes into the core game.

As for the version releases and updates...yeah it's a mess. I would ignore cosmetic changes and fold the 1987 and 2004 versions of Pirates! into the same vote, but that's just me.

Then there's the problem of mods...Battlefield 1942: Desert Combat is a fantastic mod, the underlying game is just so-so.

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Which "first" King's Bounty game? The original from 1990, King's Bounty: The Legend (...)
King's Bounty and King's Bounty: The Legend are games with different names so it's a stupid question to ask. If someone writes "King's Bounty" then it's obviously 1990 game and if someone says "Tomb Raider" then it should be assumed it's the one from 1996 since it was the first one. Writing Quake 1 or Fallout 1 or Half Life 1 or Settlers 1 is just redundant.

RolePlayer

Augur

This is going to cause problems for sure. Crossworlds is a very minor DLC for Armored Princess, but it's the version I prefer. So I had to put them both together as the same vote. Hopefully felipepepe will fold all DLC votes into the core game.

As for the version releases and updates...yeah it's a mess. I would ignore cosmetic changes and fold the 1987 and 2004 versions of Pirates! into the same vote, but that's just me.

Then there's the problem of mods...Battlefield 1942: Desert Combat is a fantastic mod, the underlying game is just so-so.

Agreed. Another wrinkle to consider is the "games as a service" many modern popular games are released as. And games can change very heavily with patching almost into new games entirely.

I listed World of Warcraft in my games list but I'm specifically talking about the original game and even the first expansion The Burning Crusade after that though the game was dumbed down and went into my trash bin. Heroes of the Storm is another game that was originally pretty good on release but then was dumbed-down to shit thanks to Blizzard's greed.

Some games like Out Of The Park Baseball have just gotten better & deeper every year. There really isn't a particular version from the past that is better than the current and the next one when it's released will be better than the current. How to list this adds some special kind of difficulty. So I just listed "OOTP Baseball series"

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Which "first" King's Bounty game? The original from 1990, King's Bounty: The Legend (...)

King's Bounty and King's Bounty: The Legend are games with different names so it's a stupid question to ask. If someone writes "King's Bounty" then it's obviously 1990 game and if someone says "Tomb Raider" then it should be assumed it's the one from 1996 since it was the first one. Writing Quake 1 or Fallout 1 or Half Life 1 or Settlers 1 is just redundant.

I'd rather have redundancy than inaccuracy. The problem in the above example is that you're assuming, you don't know for certain.

Redunancy eliminates the assumptions.

I honestly do not understand why you're arguing this.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
5 Points :

Lord of the Rings Online
Any John Tiller Panzer Campaigns title
Any John Tiller Panzer Battles title
Any John Tiller Squad Battles title
Gary Grigsby's War In The West
Gary Grigsby's War In The East
Football Manager
Out of the Park Baseball

8 =/= 5

taomcio

Educated
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
5 points:

Faster Than Light
Heroes of Might & Magic III
Little Big Adventure 2
Civilization II
Rayman Legends

3 points:

Age of Emipres II
RollerCoaster Tycoon
Half Life
Worms Armaggeddon
Batman: Arkham Asylum

1 point:

Transport Tycoon Deluxe
Starcraft
Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2
Doom II
Metal Gear Solid V
Fifa '98
Playerunknown's Battlegrounds
GTA Vice City
Call of Duty 2
Portal

Last edited:

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
5 points: Thief: The Dark Project, Thief II: The Metal Age, The Operative: No One Lives Forever, Operation Flashpoint, Monkey Island 2: LeChuck's Revenge
3 points: Grim Fandango, Civilization IV, SWAT 4, Half-Life, Rainbow Six: Rogue Spear
1 point: Doom (1993), Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne, Pro Evolution Soccer 5, Championship Manager (1992), Hitman: Blood Money, Silent Storm, Giants: Citizen Kabuto, S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl, Mafia, Rome: Total War

I tried to include only one game per series, but Thief had to be an exception. The list isn't really about the best games per se, but the ones that I've played a lot or those that have had a big impact on me at some moment in time.

iZerw

Arcane
Vatnik
5 points:

Hidden & Dangerous 2
Doom (1993)
Unreal
Heroes of Might and Magic III
SWAT 4

3 points:

StarCraft 1
Blood
Hitman 2
Max Payne 1
Grim Fandango

1 point:

UT
Dishonored
Dead Space
System Shock
Alien Isolation
Tron 2.0
Operation Flashpoint
Silent Hill 3
Amnesia the Dark Descent
Warcraft III

CRD

Cipher
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
5-
Rainbow 6 siege
Invisible inc
rimworld
factorio
Kerbal space program

3-
total war rome 2
spelunky
talos principle
civilization 4
europa universalis IV

1-
portal 2
binding of isaac
Company of heroes 2
antichamber
la-mulana
wargame: red dragon
Endless legend
Doom 2016/2020

Last edited:

Optimist

Savant
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
I'm really looking forward to the results.

Giants: Citizen Kabuto
Dominions (I don't think it's fair to pick one; the game is constantly developed and gets the number bumped up every two-three years, if I'd had to pick one then it'd be 5)
Freespace 2
Heroes of Might and Magic 3
Master of Orion 2

Armed & Dangerous (I miss the original Planet Moon like you wouldn't believe)
Red Alert 2
Star Wars Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy
Alpha Centauri
Postal 2

Devil Daggers
Into the Breach
Besiege
X-COM: UFO Defense
Populous
Dwarf Fortress
Shandalar
STALKER
Master of Magic
Enter the Gungeon

Serus

Arcane
Patron
I'm not sure if it should be best games for historical value or games that are best today (because of better UI but not better gameplay)?
I'll try to list the latter but there will be still many old titles who are still great today and still greatly playable.

5 points
Pirates! (1987) - Yep, it's still the better version.
Master of Orion 1 - The first one has the most elegant design but the second one is great as well.
X-Com EU (1994) - What i can say? DUH.
Civilization - Not sure which version, 1, 2 an 4 all have merits so i'll vote the 2nd one.
Master of Magic - Still the best of it's kind

3 points
Secret of Monkey Island (1990) - THE best point & click adventure game.
Star Control 2 - As someone already mentioned - Definitely NOT an rpg and a truly great game (mostly adventure/action if you ask)
Mount & Blade: Warband (2010) - I consider it an action game with lite strategy and rpg elements. Replace with CK2 if needed.
Sim City 2000 (1993) - Nothing to say, still a great building game
Europa Universalis 4 - The one I find most playable but Crusader Kings is damn close

1 point
Crusader Kings 2 - Three more great games by Paradox.
Europa Universalis 3
Hearts of Iron 2
XCOM (2012)
- Because of the Long War mod
Master of Orion 2
King of Dragon Pass
- I will always remember the idiot who gave it 1/10 in Secret Service - a potato game magazine
Railroad Tycoon (1990)
Prince of Persia (1989)
Battle Brothers (2015)
Rome: Total War (2004)
Colonization (1994)

Some more games i considered for 1 point but run out of room
Maniac Mansion 2: Day of the Tentacle (1993)
Heroes of Might and Magic 2
GTA: Vice City (2002)
Freespace (1998)
Flashback (1992)
1994 for PC version. I finished it both on Amiga and PC

Some morons not very monocled gentlemen included Jagged Alliance 2. :outrage:
At least one of them included it in the very first place of his whole list. :incline:

Lagi

Savant
5 points
Heretic
Heroes 3
Fantasy General
Age of Wonders 1
Myth 2: Soulblighter

3points
Total Annihilation Escalation
FTL
Thief: The Dark Project
C-evo
Master of Magic

1points
Curious Expedition
Prince of Persia Warrior Within
Carmageddon 1
Factorio
Alpha Centauri
Dawn of War 1: dark crusade
Age of Empires 1
Spelunky
Starcraft
Master of Orion 2

Last edited:

jerfdr

Educated
5 Points:
Victoria 2,
Crusader Kings 2,
Kerbal Space Program,
Homeworld,
Vangers

3 Points:
What Remains of Edith Finch,
Machinarium,
This is the Police,
Portal,

1 Point:
Hearts of Iron 4,
Endless Summer,
Europa Universalis 4,
Stellaris,
Defender's Quest: Valley of the Forgotten,
Distant Worlds,
Rimworld,
Space Rangers,
King of Dragon Pass,
Half-Life 2

Rake

Arcane
5 Points:
Sacrifice
Warcraft 3

3 Points:
King of Dragon Pass
Total Overdose

1 Point:
Sengoku Rance
Total Annihilation Kingdoms
Primordia
Art of Magic

ultra loser

Scholar
5 Points: 9 Hours 9 Persons 9 Doors, Virtue's Last Reward, Devil May Cry 4, Resident Evil 4, GTA San Andreas
3 Points: Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance, Devil May Cry 3, Max Payne, Silent Hill 2, Sleeping Dogs
1 Point: Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory, Hitman: Blood Money, Max Payne 2, Stalker: Call of Pripyat

jesus almost all ports, pc has no games

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom