Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Why is Dragon's Dogma a top 101 rpg?

ultra loser

Scholar
It had a cool character creator but respawning enemies make it unplayable unless you like wasting time

BarbequeMasta

Learned
What Dragon's Dogma does well(combat and dungeon diving in general), it does almost better than any other ARPG ever, that gives it a niche, but it also has a butload of obvious flaws and lacks polis. So a potential sequel has a lot to improve/build on.
Kingdom of amalur on the other hand was total garbage without a single redeemable quality.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Besides the amazing combat and nice sense of exploration, it should also be pointed out that the game has A LOT of choices & consequences, including really clever things, like being able to make a forgery of quest items and returning the fake ones to the NPCs.

For example, there's a quest where the king asks you to recover a magical ring.

A - You can recover it and give it to the king, who several quests later uses it you unlock a magical chest and reward you.
B - You fake a forgery and give him a fake ring, so you can keep the real one for yourself. He doesn't notice it, but later he can't open the magical chest, so you miss the reward.... UNLESS you sneak into the castle undetected and use the real ring yourself to open the chest.

Here's another cool example - there's a quest where a friendly NPC duels a traitor. You can:

A - Just watch
B - Step in and attack the traitor
C - Attack the friendly NPC!

All these options change the quest outcome. Moreover, if you kill the traitor, you can then use a magical item and revive him for interrogation!

That's some real good stuff, Dragon's Dogma is basically an immersive sim in this regard. The biggest issue here is that those choices aren't clearly presented, there's no NPC going "you can KILL or SNEAK", so most people finish the game without even realizing that several events could have entirely different outcomes.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Since the more salient gameplay aspects have already been addressed, I'll point to itemization in regard to equipment. Dragon's Dogma has slots for Torso Clothing, Leg Clothing, Torso Armor, Leg Armor, Arm Armor, Head Armor, and Cape, which allows for both matched sets and more creative combinations.

For example, the NPC Ophis wears a Lady's Corset, Striker's Greaves, Assailant's Bracers, Sultry Pareo, Dragon Band, and Alchemickal Cloak:
OPHIS.png

Someone's PC wearing Iron Headgear, Iron Manicae, Iron Lorica, Chainmail Skirt, Gambeson, and Braided Hosen:
Light_iron_armor_set.jpg

Someone's PC wearing a full set of Gryphic armor (Helm, Cloak, Armor, Gauntles, and Greaves):
Gryphic_Armor_Set.jpg

Someone's PC wearing a full Scholar's set (Cape, Coat, Bangle, and Boots) with Circlet, Linen Shirt, and Cotton Hosen:
Scholar%27s_set.jpg

Someone's PC wearing a Cyclops Veil, Feral Cape, Scale Coat, Hard Leather Plate, Scale Armguard, Twisted Leathers, and Scale Greaves:
Barbarian-012.jpg

Similarly, Dragon's Dogma possesses a first-class character creator, relying primarily on a list of options for body parts (not just for the face) rather than on sliders, that can easily create a multitude of distinct-yet-coherent characters and that even has a few effects on gameplay via height and weight categories.

For a serious answer relating to gameplay: Dragon's Dogma boasts the best action-based combat of any party-based RPG, and even among single-character RPGs is rivaled only by Demon's/Dark Souls; it's satisfyingly tactile and allows for your party members to complement each other through their particular skills. Furthermore, although very much a combat-focused game, it has good exploration and decent character-related elements, as well as an entertaining narrative and even a bit of C&C.

BarbequeMasta

Learned
What's good news is that the guy who directed Dragon's Dogma was the same guy behind the Devil May Cry series since 3, which is why it has such a great action combat elements.
He stated a few years ago that the 2 games he wanted to make at Capcom were DMC5 and Dragon's Dogma sequel. Since DMC5 is out and was a huge success for it's genre, hopefully he's working on Dragon's Dogma 2 now.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
and here's what Risen's last boss fight looks like lol
:nocountryforshitposters:

Clearly you haven't played the game and just post some youtube garbage without knowing lol. This comparison is so retarded that no self respecting RPG fan can take seriously. And looking at the people that agree with you....lol. Jenkem and Lhynn could be summed up as people that constantly bitch and brag about games they haven't played. I doubt that any of them had even played Risen. Also i never said that it is my favourite game,i just pointed out that i have the best melee combat in off all rpgs.
Maybe you should play more rpgs instead of worshipping this jap shit.

barghwata

Savant
:nocountryforshitposters:

Clearly you haven't played the game and just post some youtube garbage without knowing lol. This comparison is so retarded that no self respecting RPG fan can take seriously.

Nah i played it; thought it was mediocre and i still clearly remember laughing my ass off when i got to the last boss fight all excited and shit only to find out that it was basically a game of dance dance of revolution lol; i was obviously trolling when i made that comparison since it's a one time thing in the game but i didn't think it would trigger you this much.

On the other hand you're the one who made an entire thread bitching about a game you played for 5 hours and don't know shit about so.........

Grimlorn

Arcane
I haven't played Risen but that final boss fight looks awful. I don't know why the guy doesn't get in 2 or 3 hits between the bosses attacks. Seems to have enough time to. Those action mechanics look like a joke compared to Dragon's Dogma. In Dragon's Dogma you could climb onto his body and start beating his head in with a dagger or sword.

Dragon's Dogma does party based action combat right along with class/character creation. That's why it's fun. The AI isn't perfect but when compared to other games like the Dragon Age series and Skyrim it's far ahead of them all. Pawns controlled by the AI actually make a difference when built properly. It has classes that are unique and fun to play unlike say Dragon Age's 3 class system. It does dragon combat far better than Skyrim ever did. it's problems come from having a large map area that is mostly empty and some quests that are similar to MMO type fetch/kill quests in the base game. There's a lot of recycling of the same enemies on the map as well. After about level 30 the base game becomes pretty easy except for maybe drakes. If you do all the quests in the base game you'll end up around level 70. The expansion sort of fixes the problems with the base game lacking a variety of more enemies and challenge. Even at 70 you'll find the fights in Bitterblack Isle tough and challenging. The game also has a timing issue with a lot of the quests where certain quests will only be available at certain times or in certain orders leading to a unique playthrough for most people unless you read a guide to make sure you get and do everything in the right order.

Overall it's a fun party base action RPG and it would be nice to see other companies build similar games with fun classes to play, an AI that works, and an open world to explore with unique enemies you can use different tactics to kill, but let's face it, they don't have the talent or will to do it. Which is why we continue to get shit like Skyrim and Dragon's Age.

Last edited:

Salvo

Arcane
I haven't played Risen but that final boss fight looks awful. I don't know why the guy doesn't get in 2 or 3 hits between the bosses attacks. Seems to have enough time to. Those action mechanics look like a joke compared to Dragon's Dogma. In Dragon's Dogma you could climb onto his body and start beating his head in with a dagger or sword.

Risen is infamous for its terrible boss battle; although the ENTIRE remainder of the game is completely different and of much higher quality. The game has flaws, sure, but you're losing out by not playing it, expecially if you played and liked the Gothics.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
Dragon's Dogma is a strange creature. Objectively, it does an awful lot of things right, yet I never managed to get fully into it. Fiddled around with it for an hour here and there, but always ended up abandoning it.

Not too keen on the rumored sequel, but who knows....

Sjukob

Arcane
Codex tends to overrate/overhype games to an absurd degree.

I played and even "finished" it, spent a good amount of time on it and it's an alright game, but I doubt that I'll ever come back to it. There are quite a lot of good ideas thrown in, but the game seriously suffers from being unpolished, unfinished, generally just not being able to pull out what it tries to be. Monster design, pawn system and especially balancing and AI have a lot of issues and really drag down the game, it's also pretty grindy and beating engame enemies requires you to overcome some seriously bloated numbers. What's really bizzare is that there's no coop, what the fuck ? Implementing coop should've been in their top 3 list of priorities, I have no idea what were they thinking. And finally it's a console game, so every console limitation applies to it.

You know, this game was directed by Itsuno Hideaki - the guy who took over DMC series after the first installment. And not a single one of DMC games (can't speak about DMC5) was as tightly and well designed as the first one, all of them were flawed and lacking in something, not counting DMC2 which was a complete shit show for other reasons. I learned it way later after I was done with DD, but looking back at it, I'm not surprised it turned out the way it did.

Grimlorn

Arcane

Risen is infamous for its terrible boss battle; although the ENTIRE remainder of the game is completely different and of much higher quality. The game has flaws, sure, but you're losing out by not playing it, expecially if you played and liked the Gothics.
Well a lot of people said Risen's first act was really good then it turns to shit real fast, so I never bothered with it.

Grimlorn

Arcane
Monster design, pawn system and especially balancing and AI have a lot of issues and really drag down the game, it's also pretty grindy and beating engame enemies requires you to overcome some seriously bloated numbers.
None of this is true by the way. Monster design is one of the things they do well. There just isn't enough variety except in the expansion. The pawn inclination system can be a bit annoying but there are guides to deal with it or even a mod that allows you to control it completely. You don't have to grind for levels at all and beating endgame enemies is not so difficult that you need to grind for levels. The only thing that is difficult and a bit grindy is getting the best weapon for your vocation through a lvl 3 cursed weapon, which doesn't take long imo. Level 2 is even easier and only does slightly less damage. Or something I've never done is get the best lvl 3 cursed armor which is a waste of time imo. Now that would be grindy, but you don't need the best armor for defense and you don't really need the best weapon to kill enemies. It just takes a little bit longer to kill the bosses in the expansion. Going through it naturally you're going to level up a ton anyways.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
And not a single one of DMC games (can't speak about DMC5) was as tightly and well designed as the first one, all of them were flawed and lacking in something

C'mon 1 has plenty of flaws and is lacking in plenty of areas, specially after you play the other games.
The residuals of the RE4 development dampen the experience and the game's potential.
All the 2nd bosse figth fall flat, nigthmare is an annoyance and Mundus is anti-climatic.
Due to memory constratints, enemy placement is severely limited and as such different enemies never appear in the same space and just don't complement each other.
Having to collect orbs to S rank the game is just a dumb time waster and hurts the fun of those challenges.
Weapons aren't as creative and fun to use as the other titles, plus they have very limited movesets.
The different Difficulties don't make the enemies more agressive and don't give then new attacks.
The game lacks in the stylish department and extra content.
And finally it lacks that action edge of Itsuno's DMC titles.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom