Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Pre-Release Thread [EARLY ACCESS RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

J1M

Arcane
Unlike coronavirus, exposure to BG3 is completely voluntary.
If you don't want it I would start by leaving this thread.

You're totally missing the point in a true imbecilic fashion that is your hallmark.

If I don't want it does it mean I cannot express my distaste about it? Let alone, what a shocker (!), on a forum with its sole purpose to be a vessel where people speak their mind?

Fuck off simpleton!
Go get a special dispense from Infinitron and start a thoroughly moderated thread where only praise about BG3 is allowed and where Larian arrogant faggots and apologists get their dick sucked in a circle and then where afterwards everybody pats each other backs for a job well done.
Agreed. Whether I like this game or not, it will go on to influence the future of the genre. Josh Sawyer even said the only reason they did full voice acting was because Larian did it so they felt they had to do it too to keep up with the times. Larian pushes a niche genre to have to dress up all fancy which a lot of smaller studios can't do so it makes them look worse from a shallow point of view. But then they regress everything else like writing and mechanics. Their fancy graphic exterior and their shallow writing, mechanics, encounter design etc become a new standard for the crpg niche and that's harmful to the genre at large. Maybe I can't single handedly bankrupt the company and force them to stop but I am going to do all that I can which is shit talk them on the codex.
Obsidian makes lots of questionable decisions. They aren't Larion's fault.

Their market research basically consists of looking at one successful game and trying to copy an element of it. :lol:

No, that is not hyperbole. It's what they have publicly stated.

You can make a good RPG without animated ferns and dynamic shadows. The fact that they thought anyone cared more about those things than fun game systems or a plot involving proper nouns that can be pronounced makes them a bad example of what you are worried about. They fixate on those things and allocate budget to them because they are not content with selling to the RPG market. The majority of their effort goes into trying to trick non-RPG players into buying an RPG.

Last edited:

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik

Their market research basically consists of looking at one successful game and trying to copy an element of it. :lol:

You can make a good RPG without animated ferns and dynamic shadows. The fact that they thought anyone cared more about those things than fun game systems or a plot involving proper nouns that can be pronounced makes them a bad example of what you are worried about.

Basically, what I once said.

YBwqecC.png

Barbarian

Arcane
I'm actually quite interested in this game. Don't really care that they are piggy-backing on the title and that this has nothing to do with the bhaalspawn saga. Been missing a fun D&D romp for a while now. Are people really pissed that it is turn-based instead of real-time with pause? :lol:

Folks tell me Larian is big on releasing finished games and never embraced the dlc industry format which I so despise. Hope they keep this policy.

I'm actually quite interested in this game. Don't really care that they are piggy-backing on the title and that this has nothing to do with the bhaalspawn saga. Been missing a fun D&D romp for a while now. Are people really pissed that it is turn-based instead of real-time with pause? :lol:

Folks tell me Larian is big on releasing finished games and never embraced the dlc industry format which I so despise. Hope they keep this policy.
you will be blowing up countless barrels of acid and mind flayer goo while throwing your boots all over the sword coast, just like classic AD&D modules from back in the day. A real D&D romp. I am gong to make a straight forward fighter with the "Clothes Tornado" feat as my first character I think- just like I played in B2 'The Keep on the Borderlands' way back when....can't wait.

BarbequeMasta

Learned
Pretty much, this is just DOS3 with it's explosive barrels, garbage throwing, coop focus, single player decline, 4 size party and the Larian's signature dogshit writing that makes any other studio look like master writers. It's fine if you like that, but stop lying to yourselves.
Larian are pure decline.

Generic-Giant-Spider

I don't know him personally, but I like Swen. He seems like a nice guy and still has his smile in the industry, he has shown that a turn based RPG can still thrive today and it took balls to take that risk in the first place.

Which is why it will hurt me when I inevitably flush this game down the toilet. You made me into this monster, Swen.

Jedi Exile

Arcanum
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Unlike coronavirus, exposure to BG3 is completely voluntary.
If you don't want it I would start by leaving this thread.

You're totally missing the point in a true imbecilic fashion that is your hallmark.

If I don't want it does it mean I cannot express my distaste about it? Let alone, what a shocker (!), on a forum with its sole purpose to be a vessel where people speak their mind?

Fuck off simpleton!
Go get a special dispense from Infinitron and start a thoroughly moderated thread where only praise about BG3 is allowed and where Larian arrogant faggots and apologists get their dick sucked in a circle and then where afterwards everybody pats each other backs for a job well done.
Agreed. Whether I like this game or not, it will go on to influence the future of the genre. Josh Sawyer even said the only reason they did full voice acting was because Larian did it so they felt they had to do it too to keep up with the times. Larian pushes a niche genre to have to dress up all fancy which a lot of smaller studios can't do so it makes them look worse from a shallow point of view. But then they regress everything else like writing and mechanics. Their fancy graphic exterior and their shallow writing, mechanics, encounter design etc become a new standard for the crpg niche and that's harmful to the genre at large. Maybe I can't single handedly bankrupt the company and force them to stop but I am going to do all that I can which is shit talk them on the codex.

You can make a good RPG without animated ferns and dynamic shadows. The fact that they thought anyone cared more about those things than fun game systems or a plot involving proper nouns that can be pronounced makes them a bad example of what you are worried about. They fixate on those things and allocate budget to them because they are not content with selling to the RPG market. The majority of their effort goes into trying to trick non-RPG players into buying an RPG.

All of this can be summarised into one word: Feargus.

Mazisky

Magister
Guys, who wanna bet? I am 100% sure that Boo will return in the game as a talkable character that makes cringe jokes and also you can romance it. 100% sure since it's Larian.

Elex

Arbiter
Speak with dead spell is confirmed, so why not speak with animals or speak with plants?

these are real D&D spells.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Pretty much, this is just DOS3 with it's explosive barrels, garbage throwing, coop focus, single player decline, 4 size party and the Larian's signature dogshit writing that makes any other studio look like master writers. It's fine if you like that, but stop lying to yourselves.

Larian are pure decline.

Normally you would be right.

getter77

Augur
I suppose we'd have still got Grappling had the community chosen more wisely on that class poll for D:OS 2 way back when as I want to say there was 1-2 that didn't make it among the various and good exotic options that lost out that would've established the foundation proper enough to adapt.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom