Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Why is Dragon's Dogma a top 101 rpg?

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
Monster design is one of the things they do well.

Huuuuuhhh, yes and no...
They are clearly inspired by DnD (which is awesome) and all have very neat details in their weakness, strengths and behaviours. But they never fully achieved their potential and have some obtuse problems.

One of core problems is the somewhat lack of thought put into the grab mechanic. I mean it is cool to grab goblins and chuck of cliffs but when it comes to climb larger enemies that the mechanic becomes a problem. Those enemies are both too big (to be holded down or thrown by the player and his party) and too small (which makes any kind of meaningful traversal impossible). There's not alot to do while grabing on other than mashing the attack button, which you can do as long as you have stamina (an "issue" solved as simply as chucking down a herb/potion from the item menu that pauses the action), so there's not much challenge to be found in these situations.
I get they implemented this so warrior builds could reach weakpoints ranged builds can easily attack, but it just feels half-assed and there's not much decision making other than what body part you want to hack away, on what amounts to a safe position. So overall it doesn't have enough going for it to make the climbing an fully fledged system.
The Limb based damage really is the redeeming aspect to this system.

Then you have the level scalling straigth out of Skyrim.
Where after X level, enemies get a stat upgrade and a paint job with no real meaningful alterations.

I think DD best serves as a rock solid foundation for a franchise to build upon.

It just takes a little bit longer to kill the bosses in the expansion.

That's putting it mildly, some of them take almost a fucking hour kill.

Last edited:

Sjukob

Arcane
None of this is true by the way
what do you mean by that?
Oh really ? Balancing issues are not a thing ? Some of the classes are just better than the others, like warriors really struggle against a good portion of bestiary due to required climbing or ranged combat, while strider can comfortably deal almost anything the game throws at you, then there are monsters that are just unfun to deal with: golems, ghosts, maneaters, ur-dragon is a fucking mess and there are probably some others that I've already forgotten about. So it's either monsters that are not designed with certain classes in mind or it's the classes that aren't well thought out, these two issues really complement each other. The attribute progression system is completely retarded and is further made worse by the fact that some classes stay weak (mystic knight and archer) for a long time and require specific way of playing to become strong in the late game. And as an icing on the cake, there are consumables, which completely negate health and stamina management.

The pawn inclination system is messy and unfinished, I've seen some videos with pawns performing exceptionally well, but those are exceptions. There are not enough tools to manipulate the pawns, they won't do exactly what you tell them to do, because their behaviour is screwed by them trying to copy their master. Do you remember what happens if you play an agressive melee and want your pawn to be a healer ?

As for the late game, my minmaxed lvl 100 character wasn't able to beat second run of BBI and I had some great weapons and armor, but I was just barely scratching the monsters, because their stats are absurd. Even during the first run I wasn't killing advanced monsters (gorecyclops, eliminators, garms) as quickly as I would've liked to and I was actively abusing monsters' weaknesses. And if you'd like to tell me to switch vocation, guess what do I need to do ? Grind experience, give up my prefered playstyle, find new equipment. All of that is very exciting and doesn't require grinding at all, yeah right. Still disagree that the game isn't well thought out ?

If you've played the game, you should be well aware of all that.

C'mon 1 has plenty of flaws and is lacking in plenty of areas, specially after you play the other games.
Ah dude, we've been over that already. Btw, what do you think of Bayonetta ?

Last edited:

Onionguy

Educated
Codex tends to overrate/overhype games to an absurd degree.

I played and even "finished" it, spent a good amount of time on it and it's an alright game, but I doubt that I'll ever come back to it. There are quite a lot of good ideas thrown in, but the game seriously suffers from being unpolished, unfinished, generally just not being able to pull out what it tries to be. Monster design, pawn system and especially balancing and AI have a lot of issues and really drag down the game, it's also pretty grindy and beating engame enemies requires you to overcome some seriously bloated numbers. What's really bizzare is that there's no coop, what the fuck ? Implementing coop should've been in their top 3 list of priorities, I have no idea what were they thinking. And finally it's a console game, so every console limitation applies to it.

You know, this game was directed by Itsuno Hideaki - the guy who took over DMC series after the first installment. And not a single one of DMC games (can't speak about DMC5) was as tightly and well designed as the first one, all of them were flawed and lacking in something, not counting DMC2 which was a complete shit show for other reasons. I learned it way later after I was done with DD, but looking back at it, I'm not surprised it turned out the way it did.
I haven't played DD, but my feelings about Itsuno's dmc games are pretty similar. Its not that i loved DMC 1, In fact, I thought It was a definition of a flawed gem. But what puzzles me every time, is why so many people put dmc3 leagues above the first one. Dmc 3 combat design seems to be more complex, but it's impossible to deny its many problems with enemy and boss design. Those drawbacks are only partially redeemed by adding the style switcher mod. But when i played the vanilla all those years ago I though it was a really mediocre game with somewhat cool story and visuals. DMC 1 feels a bit simplistic, and I am also not a big fan of its bosses, but the enemy design in that game is overall much, much better. Analogically, I think that Bayonetta 1 is noticeably better then Bayo 2. It's a shame that Kamiya lacks any sense of restraint when it comes to adding extra bullshit like turret and run and gun sections, but the core gameplay in his titles is always spot on. It really does not matter how deep your combat system is if you your enemies are inherently flawed in their design-> I hope that Itsuno took that to his heart when making DMC 5, but i won't find out anytime soon.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
C'mon 1 has plenty of flaws and is lacking in plenty of areas, specially after you play the other games.
Ah dude, we've been over that already.

Yeah, I guess I just can't help myself...

Btw, what do you think of Bayonetta ?

Great game!
Quite possibily Kamiya's best work. And overall a worthy game to be counted among the best action games.
Although I didn't much like the overreliance on witch time.
Have yet to try out Bayo 2, from what I've heard it's 1 but it more bonkers shit and no bike segment (thank god for that).

Dodo1610

Arcane
Dragon's Dogma is one of those game which I tried to get into several times but I always lose interest once I reach the capital. Combat is great, the pawns are one of the best ideas in the genre, but everything else feels so dull from the annoying inventory to the weird fake old English dialogue and the nonexistent story doesn't help either.
I get how someone who only cares about combat can love this but I hope if it ever gets a sequel or a game like it they should create a more rounded experience.

Sjukob

Arcane
Onionguy
I wrote a massive wall of text about DMC3 issues, enemy design was my biggest problem with the game. In the same thread I've also talked with the folks about why I think that DMC1 is better than DMC3.

Great game!
Quite possibily Kamiya's best work. And overall a worthy game to be counted among the best action games.
Although I didn't much like the overreliance on witch time.
Have yet to try out Bayo 2, from what I've heard it's 1 but it more bonkers shit and no bike segment (thank god for that).
One of my friends recommended me to check it out after I told him that I was trying out DMC and liking it. I watched some gameplay videos and was strongly put off at first: gummy bear enemies, hoe instead of a proper protagonist, disgusting music, awful visuals. "Japanese getting high on unwashed pantsu again" I thought, I even felt uneasy afterwards, but the game turned out to be great once I actually tried it. I liked it so much that I hastily bought it after I finished some early levels. I hope Kamiya delivers more.

Grimlorn

Arcane
One of core problems is the somewhat lack of thought put into the grab mechanic. I mean it is cool to grab goblins and chuck of cliffs but when it comes to climb larger enemies that the mechanic becomes a problem. Those enemies are both too big (to be holded down or thrown by the player and his party) and too small (which makes any kind of meaningful traversal impossible). There's not alot to do while grabing on other than mashing the attack button, which you can do as long as you have stamina (an "issue" solved as simply as chucking down a herb/potion from the item menu that pauses the action), so there's not much challenge to be found in these situations.
What are you complaining about exactly? Climbing onto a cyclops and attacking it's eye to do extra damage and stun him is a great mechanic. There are abilities designed for attacking weak points. You don't just hit the attack button. Unless you're saying using an ability to attack is just spamming, in which case you can begin to argue that using any ability over and over to kill enemies is spamming.
That's putting it mildly, some of them take almost a fucking hour kill.
Uh no, if you're spending an hour killing anything then you're doing something very wrong. Death excluded, but I know he disappears and reappears randomly.

Then you have the level scalling straigth out of Skyrim.
Where after X level, enemies get a stat upgrade and a paint job with no real meaningful alterations.
I'm going to need a citation on this. I don't recall any sort of level scaling. Everything becomes trivial after level 30 except the drake in the base game. The enemies don't ever get stronger. Or if there is something it's not noticeable. Enemies just get easier to kill as the game goes on. True of BBI as well since the level cap is 200 and you continue to get slightly stronger as you level.

Oh really ? Balancing issues are not a thing ? Some of the classes are just better than the others, like warriors really struggle against a good portion of bestiary due to required climbing or ranged comba
Muh balance. Who cares about balance. Some classes are always better than others in RPGs. That's what makes them fun and unique. You're not going to find a good RPG where all the classes are the same and just as viable as one another. There are 5 other classes that have melee and range if you want both. Just don't play a fighter or warrior if you don't want to deal with lack of range options.

The pawn inclination system is messy and unfinished, I've seen some videos with pawns performing exceptionally well, but those are exceptions.
No I never had problems with the inclination system. Like I said there's a mod where you can edit the pawns inclinations. Sure there are some abilities they use better than others, but I never had problems with pawns. You can put health potions into their inventories and they'll use them often to heal, unfortunately it raises Nexus so you have to drop it down to 0 often, but this isn't a problem. I suggest using the mod so you can control what they do and learn how inclinations affect their behavior. Not equip them with abilities like spells that take long times to charge.

As for the late game, my minmaxed lvl 100 character wasn't able to beat second run of BBI and I had some great weapons and armor, but I was just barely scratching the monsters, because their stats are absurd. Even during the first run I wasn't killing advanced monsters (gorecyclops, eliminators, garms) as quickly as I would've liked to and I was actively abusing monsters' weaknesses. And if you'd like to tell me to switch vocation, guess what do I need to do ? Grind experience, give up my prefered playstyle, find new equipment. All of that is very exciting and doesn't require grinding at all, yeah right. Still disagree that the game isn't well thought out ?
I forgot about augments and switching classes to learn them, but it doesn't take long to get the ones you need for your class. I kind of like that there is incentive to switch and try new classes.

If you were having problems with BBI at level 100 then you were doing something wrong. Likely you were using a split damage weapon or something. You want to go full physical or full magic weapons depending on class and damage type you do because monsters have separate defense and magic defense stats and if your damage in your weapon is split between both then it has to go over both stats to do damage. I had trouble my first time as well in the 70s because of this, but once I get a new weapon in BBI and upgraded it, it was smooth sailing. I don't know what to say to someone who couldn't even make it through the second run of BBI. I soloed through the game on my second playthrough with a magic archer. Sure it's the easiest class to solo with, but I just can't believe you couldn't beat it at all with a party of 4 and then you thought it was a good idea admitting it to support your argument.

Last edited:

TheImplodingVoice

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
The jews did it.
fcb.gif

Ventidius

Arbiter
In a nutshell:

-Best third-person Action RPG combat engine ever.
-Great enemy variety and bosses.
-Good itemization (somewhat held back by some questionable item placement issues, especially early game).
-Lots of options and playstyles for your character and party.
-Great at capturing that elusive sense of classic fantasy adventuring.
-Refreshingly grounded fantasy art direction and all around nice visuals.
-A reasonably large world dense with content (encounters, dungeons, forts, secrets, etc.)

Can be a bit too easy at times, but it's rarely mindless, and it's not significantly easier than most Action RPGs and/or immersive sims.

Sentinel

Arcane
then there are monsters that are just unfun to deal with: golems, ghosts, maneaters
why are they unfun? their unique traits are what make them a new experience. are you some kind of retard that demands balance and that all classes must be able to deal with everything or something? besides there are items that can help you deal with golems as a warrior

Puukko

Arcane
Sjukob I really have to question your claim about struggling against BBI 2.0 on "minmaxed" lvl 100 characters because I have cleared it up until the daemon with gear that was far from optimal on Hard. I last played the game in 2018 so I don't have everything in fresh memory but going from the first clear to the second, I can't say I remember the enemies outscaling the levels and gear you get without grinding. I didn't beat daimon 2.0 but that was mostly because I put the game down for something else, rather than giving up on it.

Rafidur

Learned
Sjukob I really have to question your claim about struggling against BBI 2.0 on "minmaxed" lvl 100 characters because I have cleared it up until the daemon with gear that was far from optimal on Hard. I last played the game in 2018 so I don't have everything in fresh memory but going from the first clear to the second, I can't say I remember the enemies outscaling the levels and gear you get without grinding. I didn't beat daimon 2.0 but that was mostly because I put the game down for something else, rather than giving up on it.

Hell you can do it level 1 with the free crate of throwblasts.

Sjukob

Arcane
Muh balance. Who cares about balance.
Yes muh balance, I do care about balance. I'm tired that most games boil down to either:
  1. The player is absurdly overpowered, it doesn't matter what you do, you will win anyway;
  2. A lot of options are simply weak and going for them means that you are just screwing yourself.
You know, I'm just ranting about the warrior here, I haven't even started talking about class skills and movesets, because this post is already huge and bringing it up can take this discussion to a whole new level. But just throwing a bone here: ranger is a one button class basically and fighter is a local "spin to win" meme embodied.

Some classes are always better than others in RPGs. That's what makes them fun and unique.
It's not just that some classes better than the others, sometimes the classes are just gimped, why should I put so much more effort to get a worse result ? Warrior is just terrible, the class has no redeeming qualities (except some augments) at all. I don't care how many videos of people beating strong monsters with warrior or soloing BBI or whatever there are, I'm sure if you try hard enough you can wipe your ass with your foot, it doesn't change the fact that the warrior sucks. Mage serves no purpose after a short period of early game, mystic knight and archer don't kick in until way later. So, 4 out of 9 vocations have some glaring issues, that's pretty fucking scary if you ask me.

I guess you can make an argument that some vocations are meant for the early game and some for the late, but it doesn't apply to DD, it's simply not well structured:
  1. The basic vocations: Strider is great throghout the whole game, same with fighter but he's not as amazing, mage on the other hand falls off super hard past the beggining part;
  2. The hybrid vocations: Mystic knight and archer require a good investment and understanding of how the game damage and stat progression works, they become really strong later. Assassin is good from the moment you unlock him and doesn't require you to know anything in advance, especially if you consider the fact that it's the class with the highest physical attack gain per level;
  3. Advanced vocations: Everything here is good from the get go (if word good can be applied to warrior at all), I don't have much experience with the sorcerer, but I know that even at early levels he can spam magic bolt while jumping for a very respectable DPS and it only becomes better later, and for supporting he also brings elemental enchants, which are very useful at any point.
There are no in-game hints about vocation power curve either, so I don't see anything implying that certain classes are purely late game options.

You're not going to find a good RPG where all the classes are the same and just as viable as one another.
Can I at least get a game where all classes are just viable ? And I mean really viable. I don't consider fighter and assassin to be super strong, but they are viable, they may be outmached by other classes, but they are still truly useful. I don't think it's too much to ask the developers to make it so none of the classes feels like crap and has a proper progression.

No I never had problems with the inclination system. Like I said there's a mod where you can edit the pawns inclinations. Sure there are some abilities they use better than others, but I never had problems with pawns. You can put health potions into their inventories and they'll use them often to heal, unfortunately it raises Nexus so you have to drop it down to 0 often, but this isn't a problem. I suggest using the mod so you can control what they do and learn how inclinations affect their behavior. Not equip them with abilities like spells that take long times to charge.
It's not just about inclination, pawns will try to repeat the actions you do. If you play a warrior it's likely that you are spamming jump attack, eventually your pawn will try to do it too, needless to say they are terrible at it, this behaviour is not affected by inclination as far as I know. Then there's knowledge system and unless you have all three stars unlocked, the pawns will purposefully act dumber in a fight. Never heard of the mod that enhances your control over the pawns, but the last time I played the game was in 2016. No spells for pawns, really ? They can't be hybrids, which is pretty bad on it's own, but now you say that 2 out of 6 remaining options for them aren't good either, am I understanding you correctly ?

If you were having problems with BBI at level 100 then you were doing something wrong. Likely you were using a split damage weapon or something. You want to go full physical or full magic weapons depending on class and damage type you do because monsters have separate defense and magic defense stats and if your damage in your weapon is split between both then it has to go over both stats to do damage. I had trouble my first time as well in the 70s because of this, but once I get a new weapon in BBI and upgraded it, it was smooth sailing. I don't know what to say to someone who couldn't even make it through the second run of BBI. I soloed through the game on my second playthrough with a magic archer. Sure it's the easiest class to solo with, but I just can't believe you couldn't beat it at all with a party of 4 and then you thought it was a good idea admitting it to support your argument.
Yeah, I did use hybrid weapon, but I'll get to that point, and yes I read about monster defences and hybrid damage problems. Anyway, I was playing a fighter, with fighter and warrior damage augments (getting that vocation to lvl 9 was a torture) and all that, BBI wasn't that bad on the first attempt, I remember my first encounter with gorecyclops, I did the usual thing - climbed it, positioned myself on his head and started swinging: "1/3 of the life bar per attack, BBI isn't so scary after all" I thought. Then I encounterd garm: "Why does this thing take so long to kill ?", obliterators appear "These guys are fun, but for fucks sake why do I have to clubber you so much ?!", poisoned undead takes something like 4 dragon maws to die and my weapon is holy enchanted, oh well. I even tried picking a fight with death, but that thing was impenetrable, whatever, you aren't meant to fight it anyway. I was using ascalon and dragon's dogma, which are like the best weapons you can get pre BBI.

So after my first run through BBI I get this, I thought that I would beat everyone into dust with my new weapon. First room after Barroch, undead dragon spawns. Cool, time to test my new murderstick ! Apply dragon's maw to the chest - no damage. What ? Try again, still no damage. Look up dragon's resistances on the wiki, says it's weak to holy and I'm using the best holy weapon in the game. Alright, may be my old sword will do the trick, use dragon's dogma, still no damage. Fine, may be this type of dragon is absurdly strong, re-enter the room until another enemy appears, super lightning dragon spawns, can't damage it either. So I can't beat the enemy that spawns at the very beggining, what am I going to do against garms, obliterators, living armors, daimon ? Well, I guess I'm fucked. I could've tried to acquire a better pure physical weapon, get even higher stats, but att that point I just lost my interest in the game, I've already seen everything it had to offer, so the only thing that was left there is to keep cranking up numbers, but what for ?

I think it's fair if you blame me, but looking at how one of the supposedly best weapons in the game wasn't killing stuff that was weak against it, and how it was never an issue before second visit to BBI, and how I spent a lot of time on that character, it was all very discouraging.

why are they unfun? their unique traits are what make them a new experience.
Dude, have you even played the game ?! Let's start with the monsters I mentioned:
  1. Ghost - poses no threat, yet for some reason wants to you to chase it around and take time to kill it;
  2. Maneater - you are absolutely forced to play it's gimmick and there's nothing you can do. Remember mimicks from dark souls ? Now imagine that you can't hurt them untill you try opening them up and get chewed, and that's literally how maneater works. Don't try telling me how it's a party game and that the pawns will save you, it's beside the point. The game basically tells you: "Get bitten, fuck you !";
  3. Golem - oh dear, explaining this would require me to also talk about something else.
Here's the thing, in DD vocations not only differ in strength, they also differ in convenience and it's not just about the damage they do or many resistances they can bypass, it's also about the controls. When I was done with the game I wrote a post about my impressions in DD topic, it's a mess but I'd rather quote myself, than type another message with the same context:

One of the major problems with combat is bow dominance , but it's not that bows are overpowered by themselves , several factors contribute to this . First of all you MUST exploit enemy weakness , there is no way around it in this game , if you don't do that your damage will be heavily reduced , a lot of the enemies have weakspots in hard to reach places and either require you climbing on them or waiting for them to expose , while bow users can rain arrows at any moment from afar , putting themselves in a much less dangerous position than melee . Magic users are hampered by wonky aiming and significant delay ( casting ) before they can attack , bow users have almost zero delay between their attacks and manual aiming is very responsive . Secondly , it's easy to deal with flying enemies when you have access to ranged combat , much harder when you don't , another point scored towards archers . Third , magic users HAVE to utilize elemental weakness of the enemies ( see the point above ) which results in additional running to the tavern to change skills , this becomes much more annoying in BBI where you can only change skills with the help of Olra , and again bow users don't have to deal with this problem , their skills are "equip and forget" . And the last one , although not directly conserning bows , all classes that can use bows have the best mobility in the game , they can roll , double jump , cancel their actions , while other classes are much more limited in movement , this becomes especially noticeable when you are playing casters . The only thing casters and melee users can provide over archers is knockdown/stagger which is quite a big thing , but not big enough to compete with the advantages the bow provides .

P.S. Fuck Ur dragon . This is the most badly designed enemy in the whole fucking game . Pure melee classes are fucked , you can kill him as pure melee , but that's like pulling your eye out of it's socket through your ass with your broken arm . The fucking thing jumps around and spins in circles constantly making it hard for you to aim . And sometimes he flies to the tower where you can't even properly damage him and there is no way to make him go down except waiting and if you hide , he flies away forcing you to restart the fight . WHAT THE FUCK ?! What kind of idiot designed this shit ?! Talking about bad design , the retard that made golems ( both of them ) was surely desperately looking for a way to get analy raped by his boss and the game community .

and then I'll also quote other people to save myself some time:

At this point the game has truly stretched its enemy variety thin. The golems I saw in the woods are here in the pass to the tower, and they have the exact same movesets as cyclops except they're made out of rock and they only get harmed in the specific gems around their body. I'm really not liking this specific design of a monster taking most of the damage on very small gems on the body while the rest of the body receives only 10% or 0% damage.

It works in Shadow of the Colossus because the Colossi there are much much larger than the monsters here. Here, you get stupid things like trying to hit a drake's chest that is practically on the ground meaning most of my dagger hits fail to hit the actual gem on and instead just register as a chest hit. Even worse is the golem who has a gem on the palm of his hand and can't be harmed anywhere else on his body, so you have to try to hit that ridiculously small target with a sword or dagger while it's flailing all around. Mounting the monster doesn't even make it easier. How disappointing to cast a meteor and multiple crash down on your opponent just to do zero damage because it hit its back and not it's palm or knee gem?

Yeah, Metal Golems are bullshit. Had a fight were the last medallion was floating high in the air and I was solo with a melee-only assassin...the solution was climbing on top of the golem and jumping to land like 3 hits in mid-air on the medallion.... like 15 times.

What do you think would happen when you require a strong party cooperation to take down a monster in a game where AI is braindead and coop mode doesn't exist ?

are you some kind of retard that demands balance and that all classes must be able to deal with everything or something?
Heh, archers in this game can virtually take down anything (mystic knight can literally take down anything) and it feels pretty good to control them. Why not bring everyone else to the same level ? Does relying on wonky AI make for a better experience ?

Last edited:

Grimlorn

Arcane
Just ignore Sjukob. Everything he says is wrong.

No spells for pawns, really ? They can't be hybrids, which is pretty bad on it's own, but now you say that 2 out of 6 remaining options for them aren't good either, am I understanding you correctly ?
No I said spells that take long times to charge are less useful on pawns, not all spells. I had a couple of Sorcerers in my first playthrough. They were great as long as you didn't equip them with the strongest highest charging spells because they take forever to charge and don't get them off in a battle. Usually they are hit or stop charging to dodge an enemy or get hit and have to start all over.
Yeah, I did use hybrid weapon, but I'll get to that point, and yes I read about monster defences and hybrid damage problems.
Apparently you don't understand how defenses work which is why you're still using one and complaining about it.

If a weapon does 500 physical and 500 magic damage (1000 total) and a mob has 450 defense and 450 magic defense. You're only going to do about 100 damage per hit. But if you have a weapon that does 800 physical damage you'll do 350 damage per hit. That's how it works. That's why split damage weapons are always bad. A dragon forged dragon's dogma likely would have done more damage than the weapon you were using. That's also not taking into account you needed to dragon forge it to raise it's damage up.

You never learned how basic mechanics in the game worked and that's why you sucked. It wasn't the game. It was you. Stop trying to convince people the best aspects of the game that as far as I know haven't been done better in an action RPG since sucked. You also should have probably played something besides a fighter.

Sjukob

Arcane
Apparently you don't understand how defenses work which is why you're still using one and complaining about it.
Do you actually read what I'm writing ?

I think it's fair if you blame me
Yeah, I did use hybrid weapon, but I'll get to that point, and yes I read about monster defences and hybrid damage problems.
and how it was never an issue before second visit to BBI
I could've tried to acquire a better pure physical weapon

You never learned how basic mechanics in the game worked and that's why you sucked
Oh please, at what point does the game teach you about magic and physical damage calculation ?

That's why split damage weapons are always bad
At least you agree that it's poorly implemented.

It was you. Stop trying to convince people the best aspects of the game that as far as I know haven't been done better in an action RPG since sucked
I've never told that anything in the game sucks, except for the warrior and some monsters. You are just getting overly defensive, because I'm trying to point out that the game has obvious issues.

You also should have probably played something besides a fighter
It was a deliberate choice, it was the class I liked the most.

Last edited:
Unwanted

a Goat

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Edgy Vatnik
Oh really ? Balancing issues are not a thing ? Some of the classes are just better than the others, like warriors really struggle against a good portion of bestiary due to required climbing or ranged combat, while strider can comfortably deal almost anything the game throws at you, then there are monsters that are just unfun to deal with: golems, ghosts, maneaters, ur-dragon is a fucking mess and there are probably some others that I've already forgotten about.

Honestly most of it comes from 2 issues. 1 is the leveling system which is absolutely retarded and I think everyone acknowledges it. 2nd is mostly related to the way your pawns learn and then how well their AI works. For instance, I've played fighter and decided to grind 10 levels with ranger because I wanted some extra stamina. My main pawn was also ranger so that was a very good solution. Several times I fought golems in the Everfall(the ones with talismans floating around) and I thought - wow, that's great, my pawn will know to shoot the talismans now. Next time I fought one as fighter I've had to jump on the golem and jump of him to hit the talismans mid-air because pawns were completely ignoring them. Obviously the pawn isn't using his skills/spells nearly as efficiently as I'd want it(or as I did) either.

I really like the game but obviously it has issues, which makes the possibility of sequel that would fix these quite attractive imo. A lot of other complaints, like the C&C being kind of hidden etc. is imo. just stylistic and doesn't make or break the game, these two are obviously just brainfarts of the devs.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I am honestly baffled by this inclusion lol. The game is a second hand Two Worlds with a spice of kingdoms of amalur. Both of those games are not some kind of classic or very good,but they are still far better than dragon's dogma. Why is this third rate action rpg a codexian top ????

Well, I haven't played Two Worlds... but Amalour has almost nothing on Dragon's Dogma. No contest really. DD is immensely more fun and rewarding.

Sentinel

Arcane
ost - poses no threat, yet for some reason wants to you to chase it around and take time to kill it;
Or not. You can run past the ghost. But what's the problem with that mechanic? Plenty of action games have that, it's called harass.
Maneater - you are absolutely forced to play it's gimmick and there's nothing you can do. Remember mimicks from dark souls ? Now imagine that you can't hurt them untill you try opening them up and get chewed, and that's literally how maneater works. Don't try telling me how it's a party game and that the pawns will save you, it's beside the point. The game basically tells you: "Get bitten, fuck you !";
3(6) of the classes have ways to not get grabbed by it. The remaining can instruct a pawn to open the chest instead. What is the problem here?

You're just a retard. Go play PoE.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom