Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Grimoire gameplay and hints thread

Cleveland Mark Blakemore

Golden Era Games
Übermensch Developer
Strange how experiences differ: Samhain stayed in my own memory as a place of great evil, the name alone lets me imagine again the endless halls and dark corners, the unholy depths and sinister caverns of this cursed city and its lurking madness. I wasn't expecting something thoroughly lovecraftian however so I wasn't disappointed - on the contrary: The atrocious beast at the end was horrifying for me, its lair was a place of terror and I still hear the unnatural and blasphemous sounds it emitted. While I really admire good old H.P. I'm glad Samhain wasn't just copying/pasting from the master. This way it's a respectful nod towards the venerable Rhode Islander and I'm fine with that.

I don't mean that it should be literally lovecraftian, just that the build up and hype are not in proportion to what you actually encounter there. Maybe having a difficult fight with waves of attackers shortly after entering Samhain would be a good idea too.

I was thinking of sticking the Shoggoth in there for a one-time big encounter instead of just the Roach Canyon, to get a bit more use out of it.

Dorateen

Arcane
Wonder what it would have been like to run into it in Samhain with a lower level party. Probably messy.

0gE9lCG.png

Valky

Arcane
Manlet
The way Samhain was hyped up to me felt like the Mines of Moria from LotR. Actually breaking in and exploring the place, it was fairly empty and lacking the fabled monstrosities that you read about before breaking the seal. The explanation seemed simple to me. It had lain sealed shut for many years and so the inhabitants settled into the deeper areas of Samhain and/or were mostly killed by the Horror. Perhaps the Horror originally patrolled the upper areas of Samhain, or was drawn there by the hundreds of bodies and noise produced by the mining company.

Thunar

Educated
How do I scribe Arcanum spells? I'm using the use button on whoever's got the highest arcanum skill, but I get the message "spell is not in character's spell book", I casted read magic but nothing different happened.

mondblut

Arcane
How do I scribe Arcanum spells? I'm using the use button on whoever's got the highest arcanum skill, but I get the message "spell is not in character's spell book", I casted read magic but nothing different happened.

You need to unlock arcanum magic first. Ask Trismegist Trimestes. Duh.

Last edited:

Dorateen

Arcane
Also, your character needs to have a very high scribe skill. It should show when you ID a spell book, the number of the skill to at least have a chance of scribing it successfully. (Might take multiple attempts.)

Thunar

Educated
Damn, I really love this game but it could really use some balance, enemies are either trashmobs or instakill you. I really don't mind instakill if there's a way to lessen chances of it happening, or maybe if they had lower initiative, but these dragonflies just wipe your party whatever you do and to add insult to injury they always come in groups and TPK in one turn... Why? Am I playing it wrong, is there even a strategy here? I'd just save scum if they were optional, but some are hard coded encounters, leading me to believe that Cleve expects you to beat them somehow.

The dragonflies aside, the usual enemies could really use some added challenge, just having them use stunning abilities and dealing a bit more damage would already make them more challenging.
I don't feel like I'm going through my resources while playing the game, nor do I feel like the combat is very challenging and when it is, it's either in a few glimpses of what could be during a boss fight, or it's an unfair instakill fest.
The same goes for puzzles, the kronenburg one feels more like copy protection than anything a sane person would figure out, while others are just reading comprehension.
There's got to be a way to make it fair somewhat, as it is, it feels a lot like Wizards and Warriors in how it goes from easy to stupidly hard.

mondblut

Arcane
these dragonflies just wipe your party whatever you do and to add insult to injury they always come in groups and TPK in one turn... Why? Am I playing it wrong, is there even a strategy here?

Keeping magic shield up helps against their penetration. Investing into speed, music and lethal blow helps even more.

The same goes for puzzles, the kronenburg one feels more like copy protection than anything a sane person would figure out

There is a clue in the catacombs if one is vigilant.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
these dragonflies just wipe your party whatever you do and to add insult to injury they always come in groups and TPK in one turn... Why? Am I playing it wrong, is there even a strategy here?

You can cast shield several times actually (it stacks) and they won't penetrate you.

As to the overall challenge, you just finished the first 20% of the game. There is plenty more challenge to be found.

Thunar

Educated

You can cast shield several times actually (it stacks) and they won't penetrate you.

As to the overall challenge, you just finished the first 20% of the game. There is plenty more challenge to be found.

Aaaaah, I didn't realize that it stacked!!! This is great then, best game ever :D

Cleveland Mark Blakemore

Golden Era Games
Übermensch Developer

Aaaaah, I didn't realize that it stacked!!! This is great then, best game ever :D

Then people complain about the exploit. "Stacking persistent spells makes it too easy." It's impossible to win. No MUH BALINSE will do it.

Just like Wizardry 7, once you learn the exploits it gets pretty easy except the bosses.

Piotrovitz

Savant
Dudes, dudettes,

Need halp on my party build - doing my first run, so no major spoilers pls.
I've read only the basic tips on wiki - I don't want to go completely blind, since I suffer from chronic restart syndrome, and am afraid I may get burnt out after doing starting areas twenty times in a row : [

The plan so far is:

1. Saurian berserker
2. Saurian berserker
3. Drake/Burrower metalsmith
4. Naga assassin
5. Wolfin ranger
6. Human bard
7. Aeorb sage
8. Feyfolk wizard

Questions:
1. If I ditch the bard and have sage cover the music, won't it dilute his other skills too much?
2. Is feyfolk ok for a wizard, or should I pick other race?
3. Is having priest helpful/necessary early game? Was thinking that if I ditch the bard I could go with durendil priest instead.
4. How many chars are considered to be in front row? I.e will my ranger be able to do melee attacks without reach weapon?
5. Is multiclassing beneficial in so OPd way like it was in Wiz 7, or will single/dual classes are enough to complete this incline of a game without much hassle?
I'd like to avoid rolling with Wiz-style multiclassed clowns like fighter/priest/thief/mage/monk/lift truck operator combo.

Dorateen

Arcane
Party looks fine to me. Humans have slow magic regeneration, so your bard will get his spell points back more gradually than others, although most of this character's use will be playing instruments. Still, bard is the only class besides cleric that has the Refresh spell, so that is something to consider.

For that reason, I found having a priest useful in mid to late game for restoring vitality, as well the the more advanced water walking and remove paralysis spells.

Feyfolk has fast magic regeneration, should make an ok wizard even if they are a lightweight. First two positions (top left and top right) are considered front row and take the brunt of physical attacks. But all characters can hit enemies. It is certain weapons that you will need when facing rows of monsters that require extended reach.

Multi classing in Grimoire is more restricted than Wizardry 7. Characters must have three levels before they can switch professions, and are limited to allowed class changes.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Questions:
1. If I ditch the bard and have sage cover the music, won't it dilute his other skills too much?
2. Is feyfolk ok for a wizard, or should I pick other race?
3. Is having priest helpful/necessary early game? Was thinking that if I ditch the bard I could go with durendil priest instead.
4. How many chars are considered to be in front row? I.e will my ranger be able to do melee attacks without reach weapon?
5. Is multiclassing beneficial in so OPd way like it was in Wiz 7, or will single/dual classes are enough to complete this incline of a game without much hassle?
I'd like to avoid rolling with Wiz-style multiclassed clowns like fighter/priest/thief/mage/monk/lift truck operator combo.

1. Nope, it's fine.
2. I think Feyfolk may have restrictions on what they can equip (due to size), though I think most of the mage stuff is okay for them. Not sure about their squishiness - probably better than Aeorb, but worse than some others.
3. Other magic classes also get healing spells relatively early, though a priest is probably still a good idea for your first run. Wouldn't take Durendil though as they have quite severe item restriction and can not equip many armor pieces. Take a Wolvin Priest instead (+20% skill points and resistances, plus fast magic regeneration).
4. The first 4 are front row I think.
5. You can complete it without multiclassing, probably with no hassle. But multiclassing definitely makes it much easier.

Piotrovitz

Savant
Awesome :shittydog:

Couple of more:

1. Is switching human bard to feyfolk necro or burrower thaumaturge a good idea? Isn't having two pure spellcasters a bit of an overkill?
2. What's the benefit of prestige classes like pirate or jester? Do they have i.e extra skills or spell selection?

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
1. It's really up to you and your playing style, but for me 3-4 pure spellcasters seem normal. And yes, the Barrower Thaumaturge is a great choice, especially if you want to multiclass. It is the easiest one to multiclass in general and one of the few that can realistically become a Jester (though that requires really advanced multicassing). Necros start out weak and only become powerful later.

2. Yes, they have extra combat skils that other classes do not have.

Piotrovitz

Savant
Holy fuck, the beginning is hard as hell, even if I start at the sanctuary and get the free lvl up.

Most of my CC spells don't seem to land often, even when cast at higher levels - bugs and brigands seem to be highly resistant to almost everything.
Thankfully frontline of 2 saur berserkers, drake metalsmith, and naga assassin does help to get shit done.

I don't get how the bard instruments work - I got the sleep lyre in main hand, and the thistle whistle in off-hand, which doesn't seem to do anything. I assume it can cast shrill sound, but I don't get how to use it. Unequiping lyre from main hand does not help.

Does it work only if I get extra attack? : |

Dorateen

Arcane
The off-hand will activate when that character gets an extra attack on their turn. Instruments can also be used from the inventory bar, so it is not necessary to have an instrument equipped in a bard's main hand slot. I often put a weapon there. When you are assigning actions before a round, you select the USE command, and click on the instrument of choice. If you do have a musical item equipped, I believe it should work when that character attacks. However, the music skill needs to up around 20 or higher, to work effectively.

Same with spells, each magic-user class has a specific skill associated with their discipline, such as Sorcery for Wizards, Litany for clerics and of course Necromancy for necromancers. You will need to pump up the numbers on those skills, in order to see magic work consistently.

Last edited:

Piotrovitz

Savant
Got it now, thanks Dorateen! Life is easier now.
I can't recall the sleep from lute to land even a single time tbh, even though I put points in music on each lvl up.

As for magic skills, I pump those up as well - aeorb sage has sorcery around late 50s, but i.e confusion seem to hit pretty randomly/rarely. Same with feyfolk wizard and blinding flash, which is almost always resisted even by the lowest brigands.

@ Lady
Yeah, frontline beasties are using claws/bites.
Since the party creation was kinda overwhelming, I allowed myself to check some basic tips on wiki, even though I usually like to go full blind on my first playthroughs.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Same with feyfolk wizard and blinding flash, which is almost always resisted even by the lowest brigands.

The brigands are actually kind of a higher-end challenge for a beginner low level party. You also need to figure out which spells or instruments what monsters are susceptible to. They have different resistances.

Same with feyfolk wizard and blinding flash, which is almost always resisted even by the lowest brigands.

The brigands are actually kind of a higher-end challenge for a beginner low level party. You also need to figure out which spells or instruments what monsters are susceptible to. They have different resistances.
Yeah, these Green Hand fuckers handed my ass over to me again and again at the beginning. Until I tried something different, sent them to sleep and poisoned them to death. It's a game that encourages experimentation, that's another thing I love about it.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Yeah, you need both. Or you can just run into a door twice and if you have two strong characters break it open. Or you have the Knock Knock spell.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom