Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Temple of Elemental Evil versus Knights of the Chalice

Temple of Elemental Evil or Knights of the Chalice?

• Temple of Elemental Evil (Troika, 2003)

• Knights of the Chalice (HFG, 2009)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
You don't really need to talk to every NPC in Hommlet, 3 major places all point to Moathouse pretty fast. That aside, I can't name a worse start in any cRPG that I played, assuming you play for the first time and expect anything of interest to be in Hommlet. Most non-combat quests in ToEE suck, now that I think about it.

Yeah, if you have passing familiarity with RPGs, then you know that the inn/taven is the first place to go for adventure.

ProphetSword

Arcane
Developer
This is tough. Both games scratch the same itch. But, in the end, KotC is more fun. The challenging turn based combat in KotC is the true successor to the original Gold-Box games.

ToEE hands down is by far the best D&D game out there.

Finally, an oxygen-breather that sees fucking sense. Have any of you fucks even played the original PnP module ? If you had, you would know that Hommlet is a very NECESSARY part of the FUCKING story. All of the whining about Hommlet, let me ask -- are you all PoEites ? Gygax - Begue. I think Gygax wins any fucking day.

Max Damage

Savant
Namedropping the original module won't earn you points, since this isn't identical adaptation, quite a lot things are different. The only necessary part of the story in Hommlet is Burne, in a couple of endings. Triviafaggotry has no power here.

Deitti

Augur
Close race between the two but ToEE wins it for me by the end of it. Both are still good.

Murk

Arcane
I like both a great deal, but ToEE offers me more build variety and replay value.

ProphetSword

Arcane
Developer
To be honest, this is such a retarded question from the start. Both are good, both appeal to people who prefer prestigious turn-based combat, and both use a similar rule set. There’s enough room in the universe to love both of them.

So, I withdraw my vote on the basis that only dumbfuckery like this would ever require me to pick between the two.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Wasn't around the time of the CRPG release of TOEE that Return to TOEE pnp module was released being 3-3.5 ed?

circle of 8 mods plus look fantastic and I fully support modding, hacking, changing ANY game. I wish ancient games would get remade and modded more with user-friendly build/construction engines for the programming challenged.

Namedropping the original module won't earn you points, since this isn't identical adaptation, quite a lot things are different. The only necessary part of the story in Hommlet is Burne, in a couple of endings. Triviafaggotry has no power here.

Obviously you are a mental fucking midget who has NOT played the original tabletop masterpiece by Gygax & Mentzer, or if you did, you were too busy jerking off by the beer fridge instead. The important point in realizing Hommlet's importance is just how amazing a job Troika accomplished in setting the tone for the beginning of this grand adventure. Read the introduction on the first page to Hommlet, brainlack, and maybe you will realize that the gentle, country atmosphere was what Troika were aiming for, and hit bullseye on.

Max Damage

Savant
They set it up so well that I skipped it first time, and every time after. Seriously, what's your point, you inarticulate ape? What does "tone" and "atmosphere" have to do with Hommlet being absolute bore? You're trying to flex with trivia without adressing the only point that matters, can you read?

Cosmo

Arcane
Project: Eternity
I liked playing KotC but i think above all it should be valued as a lean and airtight design blueprint for everything combat in a CRPG, be it systems, encounters or AI.
A lot of disappointments would have been avoided had designers (mainly those from the first kickstarter wave) committed its design philosophy to heart.

Last edited:
They set it up so well that I skipped it first time, and every time after. Seriously, what's your point, you inarticulate ape? What does "tone" and "atmosphere" have to do with Hommlet being absolute bore? You're trying to flex with trivia without adressing the only point that matters, can you read?

Listen you little shit, your taste is obviously up your arse, and it is glaringly obvious (there's that word again) that you missed the fucking boat when they were handing out brains. You really are dumb as shit, aren't you ? Either that, or you don't have a true appreciation for the greatness of D&D's past, back when WotC was TSR (Tactical Studies Rules, for those in the know, you faggot). If you had RPed Hommlet as an actual player, you would know that tone and atmosphere are key for setting the pace for that part of the module. It is a country / agrarian setting, and as such has a SLOWER, more laid back pace. Now go and crawl back under your fucking rock and continue playing Diablo 2 or WoW.

Max Damage

Savant
Again: the literal fuck any of your verbal diarrhea has anything to do with what was said before or after? Are you drunk? The fuck does "RPing as an actual player" even mean in context or cRPG adaptation, and how would that make fetch quests with bad voice acting better? If the true greatness for you is being medieval wedding service and flour supplying, maybe play something that's more suitable for that than combat-focused game? You're trying to bring up outside stuff to somehow prove that Homlet in cRPG doesn't suck, how does that even work? :lol::lol::lol:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Finally, an oxygen-breather that sees fucking sense. Have any of you fucks even played the original PnP module ? If you had, you would know that Hommlet is a very NECESSARY part of the FUCKING story. All of the whining about Hommlet, let me ask -- are you all PoEites ? Gygax - Begue. I think Gygax wins any fucking day.

Gygax created a town with briefly-described NPCs. It was the responsibility of the DM to create interesting content with that; unfortunately, Tim did not.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik

Gygax created a town with briefly-described NPCs. It was the responsibility of the DM to create interesting content with that; unfortunately, Tim did not.
He probably didn't have time.

you should make polls visible for people who don't want to vote,i've never played either of these games but i had to vote for KOTC just to see the results.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
KotC was great and has a lot going for it in terms of encounter design, but I have to give the edge to ToEE mostly due to having all the classes in and multiclass options.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom