Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Hearthstone

Dawkinsfan69

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
Which makes no fucking sense. As far as I can tell (Having not actually played yet) there's no connection between your Hearthstone collection and this, so if someone is a battlegrounds fan and doesn't give two shits about Hearthstone they have to buy 30 packs, which if you aren't earning gold is pricey ($40 for 30 packs at the standard rate) and the buffs only last until the next expansion. And then "Bonus stats" and "Choose from 3 heroes" sound like actual gameplay benefits, too. How much they actually matter I have no idea but that seems like some weird monetization. Why they didn't just repurpose their HotS assets into an auto battler I have no idea, since HotS is pretty dead and they could've had bouncing tits to try to sell it rather than static Hearthstone art.

Edit: Looks like "Bonus stats" is just telling you more about your gameplay stats, rather than bumping up your critters.

Yeah it's pretty shitty that they lock 3rd hero choice behind opening packs. The whole thing should be free tbh and if they monetize anything it should just be extra emotes or something cosmetic like that. What they probably actually should be doing is occasionally rewarding battlegrounds players with packs so they can convert auto-battler players into people who play the actual card game.

I actually think hearthstone works really well for this genre though, because you can see stats and shit very clearly it makes the game a lot easier to pick up than the dota/league battler. Plus it works really well on phone, it's actually pretty nice mindless fun if you have a 15 minute break or something.

I DO vote for more bouncing tits though!!

What they probably actually should be doing is occasionally rewarding battlegrounds players with packs so they can convert auto-battler players into people who play the actual card game.
Agreed. Hearthstone's already a cash cow for them, so trying to flip auto battler players into Hearthstone players would probably be a decent idea. They could even try to add some dust/gold/cash sinks into battlegrounds for cosmetic shit to try to drain the people who play both, too. I guess they're hoping battlegrounds players will move to Hearthstone if they have to buy packs to upgrade their account, but I dunno.

Did the tutorial since it's all I've got the time for at the moment, but I agree on it being easier to pick up. Visually there's not much going on since it's Hearthstone cards bumping into one another but mechanically it's super easy to grasp and feels better, from my perspective of having barely played any of the others. Only questions I've got gameplay-wise are if there's enough card/hero variety to keep things feeling interesting, and if there's enough to differentiate different "Builds" since it seems like the winning move is to stick to a tribal and pump it up as much as possible.

Doktor Best

Arcane
Isnt it only 20 packs? And you can earn 10 packs with the legendary quest so you only have to collect gold for 10 more packs, which isnt that much to be honest.

Anyways i played the autobattler a little and i dont get the appeal yet. If i want to waste time with hearthstone i just brew some jank ind wild and go at it. No need for extra rng in a game mode that is so much seperated from the "real" game.

Doktor Best

Arcane
Day 2 of the new expansion and the meta is already absolutely broken by Galakrond shaman. I will just play wild until this ridiculousness is dealt with.

Who the fuck lets this through playtest?

Dawkinsfan69

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
game's fun atm.. I still really enjoy arena despite constantly getting my ass whooped and I had enough dust to craft a resurrection priest and galakrond lock decks which are lots of fun! Res priest in particular is cool as hell

UNFORTUNATELY the last update totally broke the game on my android and it just crashes everytime I try to launch, so that's a bummer

The dupe protection at all rarity levels is really nice. Not enough to make me give a shit about playing Hearthstone competitively since it's the gameplay more than collection issues holding me back, but that's still a fantastic change.

Doktor Best

Arcane
Hsreplay is the most accurate since it actually tracks data from thousands of players rather than relying on the conclusions of semi pro players. The decks on the metagame page lists them per archetype though, you have to look up specific decks in order to get a clear picture. Looking at winrates of "most popular" decks is the best way to go.

v1rus

Arcane
Hsreplay is the most accurate since it actually tracks data from thousands of players rather than relying on the conclusions of semi pro players. The decks on the metagame page lists them per archetype though, you have to look up specific decks in order to get a clear picture. Looking at winrates of "most popular" decks is the best way to go.

Not necessarily. Hs replay tracks wins of players around the game - an average player you might say. Thus, complicated and hard decks tend to be lower than they actually are, while simpler decks, like aggro, tend to be higher placed than they actually are.

I mean, I also use HS replay a lot, but its important to know its methods. Imho, there is no way to know the "true" meta list, because even pros themselves have differing opinions. Tho, browsing Tempostorm meta snapshot, Vicious syndicate meta snapshot and HSreplay should get you a pretty good picture.

Dawkinsfan69

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
I don't understand arena meta right now, I was doing well a few months ago (like 5-6 win average per run) but right now I just get demolished and probably have an average of like 1 win per run ugh.

Just seems so imbalanced, like there's a set of cards (I think from the new xpac) that are so powerful they make all other cards useless, and if you aren't passed options from that set in draft you're fucked. At least that's the impression I get. It's probably partly because I'm bad, but really I was doing fine a few months ago when they had the bucket system now I'm clueless. I wonder if it's also because of the auto chess thing causing there to be less arena players and only serious dedicated arena players still use the mode. Pretty much everyone I go up against has a golden hero (500+ wins/hero) while I'm sitting here like a moron with maybe 20-30 lifetime wins on each hero lol.

But yeah I typically check HSreplay there's also HearthArena but that's more cumbersome to use

Doktor Best

Arcane
Anyone still playing? I'm thinking about reinstalling...been away from it for years though

I do. Mostly dicking around in wild as the meta is in a good spot right now after quest mage nerf. If you didnt log into Hearthstone after mid november until march 17 you will get a pretty decent free deck once you reach rank 25.

I would either take the mage deck (contains the important highlander cards so its really good value with versatile cards especially for wild, but its weaker out of the box) or the rogue one (really strong out of the box for standard, also pretty versatile as you can go for the other galakrond decks, less useful in wild as there is only one semi viable galakrond deck in that format)

They also announced a new game mode that supposedly makes use of wild cards. I suspect a rotating format with older expansions (which would be great) so dont dust your wild collection. Standard is a cost trap anyways.

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
Tag me if they ressurect Paladin.
I have played slow Paladin decks since beta. I quit the game when they nerfed Equality.
As far as I understand all Paladin decks have been rock bottom in strength ever since that change, and if they work its Murlocs of all things.

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
Is this a good time to get back into the game? Hows the meta?
I have seen a few spoilers for the upcoming scholo, and the new Paladin cards look incredible. I never played that Pure Paladin deck, but has it a chance to end T2 after the patch? How is that battlegrounds pass bullshit?

Seeker
In My Safe Space
Hard to tell what will happen but the Libram archetype will become stronger if that's your thing. Personally I hate all paladin decks, the only one I liked was secret paladin. Best time to return is in spring when the rotation happens in standard and you need fewer cards to craft a competitive deck.
State of the game is same old clown fiesta with rng over the top and ridiculous highlander decks.

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
Hard to tell what will happen but the Libram archetype will become stronger if that's your thing. Personally I hate all paladin decks, the only one I liked was secret paladin. Best time to return is in spring when the rotation happens in standard and you need fewer cards to craft a competitive deck.
State of the game is same old clown fiesta with rng over the top and ridiculous highlander decks.

This doesnt sound too bad actually, my favourite decks/metas were Elven Archer/Equality control paladin back in Beta/Vanilla and Reno Highlander Paladin in UnGoro. Both kinda memes even back then but still very much constructed playable.

Atlantico

unida e indivisible
Patron
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Vatnik In My Safe Space
Make the Codex Great Again!

It's a good a time as any, the standard meta is fine - it's midrange heavy. No stupid long control games and no mega-crazy aggro. Combo is good enough to play, but not good enough to be broken.

Wild meta is bullshit, but that was inevitable.

Doktor Best

Arcane
I have seen a few spoilers for the upcoming scholo, and the new Paladin cards look incredible. I never played that Pure Paladin deck, but has it a chance to end T2 after the patch? How is that battlegrounds pass bullshit?

If you didnt login for atleast 4 months you can choose a free starter deck. I believe the paladin version is some form of pure paladin.

Doktor Best

Arcane

It's a good a time as any, the standard meta is fine - it's midrange heavy. No stupid long control games and no mega-crazy aggro. Combo is good enough to play, but not good enough to be broken.

Wild meta is bullshit, but that was inevitable.

I agree that standard is much improved with the final nerf round. However i disagree that the wild meta is shit, it is actually quite well balanced and diverse to be honest.

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron

If you didnt login for atleast 4 months you can choose a free starter deck. I believe the paladin version is some form of pure paladin.

I got a lot of stuff when I tried it yesterday evening, but today I uninstalled again. Catching up on all three adventures would be 60€. Also now after having played every single other card game on the market extensively its hard to get excited for a game without interaction in the enemies turn.
It was just a sudden bout of nostalgia, although the game seems to have improved greatly compared to where I left.

Atlantico

unida e indivisible
Patron
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Vatnik In My Safe Space
Make the Codex Great Again!
I agree that standard is much improved with the final nerf round. However i disagree that the wild meta is shit, it is actually quite well balanced and diverse to be honest.

While it's literally impossible to play control or midrange in Wild, it's not balanced. You either play aggro or combo in Wild.

Doktor Best

Arcane

While it's literally impossible to play control or midrange in Wild, it's not balanced. You either play aggro or combo in Wild.

Well we have LPG mage, cube lock, big shaman, reno priest (yes it has a combo included but it is much less reliant on it and feels more like control with its abundance of removal) as prominent midrange and control decks so i wouldn't say its impossible.

We have a pretty stable trinity of archetypes right now:

Pirate Warrior beats Quest Mage due to its weakness to aggro with big board development

Quest Mage beats Reno Priest due to its weakness to noninteractive gameplans

Raza Priest which beats Pirate Warrior due to its weakness to AOE removal.

Other decks that fit these archetypes fill in the space that is created by this trinity

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom