Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Has anyone played all the C&C games, if so what do you think of them?

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
That is a great video, thanks! I didn't know any of that stuff about C&C4. Seems like they were making a totally different game, cancelled it, and just shoe horned it into a semi C&C ish new type of game that wasn't C&C and wasn't the cancelled game either, and call it C&C4 just to hoodwink an existing audience in the name of sales. What a shitty thing to do. Also EA got so over excited about monetizing every aspect of gaming and then designing games specifically to be monetized, it is all a big recipe for a disaster.

But then again, this is EA, so this is completely to be expected. Most companies would nurture their creative staff to get better at what they love, build upon past wins, etc. EA probably have no fucking clue who even works there anymore.

CEO minion: Sir we are making this multiplayer action game and in house testers say it completely sucks. What do we do?
CEO boss: Just scrap it, use the assets in some other IP so people buy it anyway.
CEO minion: Sir we turned it into C&C4 and early testers still say it sucks.
CEO boss: Jeez can't you make it into something at least decent? Don't we have any genius designers that worked on games like this before?
CEO minion: Well we had Westwood sir but some started their own company and the rest all quit and told you to fuck yourself.
CEO boss: Well whatever, just find a bunch of people who are dead inside that can get this shit out the door so we can move on. Oh and by the way, tell them to make it so you gotta grind to unlock stuff cuz that seems to keep people playing.

Olinser

Savant
Yeah, C&C is just another example of EA utterly destroying a long-running franchise with a relatively loyal base.

They buy a series and don't give a shit what the fans of the series actually like and want.

They buy a series because it HAS fans, the studio initially releases a couple games that are OK while they still have some level of control, then EA takes total control and forces decisions on the studio

EA bought Westwood in 1998, when Tiberian Sun was mostly finished, and Red Alert 2 had already had pretty major work done on it. Those 2 games are the last 'real' C&C games (although I agree Red Alert 1 was superior, RA2 was a somewhat enjoyable game).

So EA take control of an RTS franchise with a relatively robust and loyal fanbase. What is their first real decision? "Hey guys shooters are popular. Make a FPS under the C&C name". And we got the giant steaming turd that was Renegade.

After that bomb they pulled back a little and made an RTS, but what did they do? "Hey guys Starcraft has 3 races and Warcraft 3 has 4 races! Add another playable faction!" So we got the unbalanced and underdeveloped crap that was the Scrin.

After that it was just the typical EA death throes of a company they've looted. Keep costs low, re-purpose and re-use assets from other games as much as possible, and milk as much cash as you can from nostalgia and die-hard fans. That's how we got the abomination that was C&C 4. A ludicrously out of place concept with a huge number of absurd units that were very clearly NOT designed for C&C, and a concept that made zero sense for a C&C game.

And that was it for C&C. They'll never make another true C&C game again. They'll just reskin units on already completed games, slap the brand on it, and try to milk the last dollar from it - like the laughable POS that was the mobile 'game'.

And that's it for the franchise. Which makes me sad. Command and Conquer had some fantastic games in its history. But that's gone now. Crushed under the bootheel of EA to squeeze the last dollar possible out of a once beloved franchise.

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Played all up to Red Alert 2 which was after Tiberium Sun if I remember correctly? James Earl Jones and Michael Biehn in-game movies! Fuck the west in in decline. They were all great games even though it isn't my main genre. I bought 3,4 and red alert 3 in a steam sale before Christmas, but have yet to get around to playing them. Had the 2 actresses from Battlestar Galactica...

Vatnik Wumao
The later C&C games (C&C 4 and the last RA) were driven by EA's desire to get a presence in the competitive gaming and MOBA genre. Nothing wrong with that concept per se, the problem was that EA re-purposed a franchise that had no roots in that style of game play and had fans that were just not interested in making the switch.

No surprise the franchise died completely unmourned.

Generic-Giant-Spider

RISE FROM YOUR GRAVE.

My tier list of C&C games:

3PFuQzA.png

Theodora

Arcane
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Tarantulos-Eduardo-Sanchez is basically on point, but more specifically:
  • Tiberian Sun & FS -- Red Alert 2 & YR is peak C&C.
  • Generals gets too much hate.
  • Red Alert 3's cutscenes give it worth on its own terms.

If you want a real chuckle about how C & C 4 ended up how it did, just watch this hilarity from 26:10 onwards to see EA at their finest.

And they will never, ever change their modus operandi.

Wonderful doc, very depressing.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Tiberian Sun is godly. Don't really care about the others. I played them all, they are ok. Zero Hour was pretty cool. Red Alerts are alright. Tiberian Sun is on another level. Best music, best gameplay, best everything.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Tiberian Sun is godly. Don't really care about the others. I played them all, they are ok. Zero Hour was pretty cool. Red Alerts are alright. Tiberian Sun is on another level. Best music, best gameplay, best everything.

The synth which starts at 2:45 sets the mood so well. A dark, gloomy Earth condemned to eternal resource wars. Not unfit of the current coronavirus crisis as well, empty streets and all.

Generic-Giant-Spider

Tiberian Sun had the best aesthetic by far. Pretty much the perfect merge of modernization and future technology all with that atmospheric '90s grit. While the soundtrack may not have been as headbangy as Tiberian Dawn/RA1 (Act On Instinct/Hell March are god tier tracks), it flawlessly fit the gameplay and graphical style so well.

Also had the best campaign in my eyes. In fact, I'll say I think the C&C games had the best campaigns in all of RTS. The FMVs were pure cheesecake but so charming and charismatic you couldn't help but keep pressing on to see what shit unfolded next.

PEACE THROUGH POWER.

Terra

Cipher
Didn't like the jump in tech from track-based vehicles to predominantly walkers in Tib Sun. I missed proper Mammoth tanks and the like. It was great to see Joe Kucan back as Kane with a great campaign and all but Tib Dawn will always remain my favourite, possibly largely for nostalgia.

Theodora

Arcane
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Tiberian Sun had the best aesthetic by far. Pretty much the perfect merge of modernization and future technology all with that atmospheric '90s grit. While the soundtrack may not have been as headbangy as Tiberian Dawn/RA1 (Act On Instinct/Hell March are god tier tracks), it flawlessly fit the gameplay and graphical style so well.

Also had the best campaign in my eyes. In fact, I'll say I think the C&C games had the best campaigns in all of RTS. The FMVs were pure cheesecake but so charming and charismatic you couldn't help but keep pressing on to see what shit unfolded next.

PEACE THROUGH POWER.

It was the first one I played, and was instantly captivated by the contrast between the GDI and Nod stylisations. And Kane's actor is <333.

Beastro

Arcane
I tried to like Tiberian Sun and RA2 but I couldn't for one silly but important reason: The units weren't "solid". The closest to that was the GDI Titan walker, but even it didn't feel the same as the previous C&C tanks.

C&C and RA1 units had a nice, solid feel to how they fought. You built up and threw them at each other and got satisfaction from the fighting, even if it wasn't the best an RTS could offer. The closest I can compare it to is guns in FPS that feel like they shoot with weight to their firepower and have a nice, good impact when you hit your mark. Without that feeling an FPS feels like there's nothing to it.

The other two lacked that, and I can appreciate they tried to do other things with the units to make the factions more asymmetrical, but I played C&C games for the satisfaction of feeling that solidness. And yes, I recognize C&C always had that aspect from Nods lighter units in the first game to the Soviets using subs as their main naval unit and not surface ships, but they had it enough to make the games work.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
I know what you mean about the solidness. Disruptors were pretty good though. But the reason the game is so amazing is the depth of the gameplay. Land deformation, subterranean attacks with an APC that pops out of the ground right in the middle of their base, and out runs a commando which shoots stuff while engineers capture buildings. Or you fly in some big tanks and land them right in the middle of the base. Or you go at them head on. Or you do what I usually did which was to fly a mobile construction vehicle to a nearby valley and make a new base and build it closer to their base and then hit them with an emp. I also used to love in multiplayer, waiting for the other guy to build a huge squadron of planes, and 1 second before they reach my base I hit the Firestorm which burns them all out of the sky. He loses so much money in a split second, it is basically game over. I used to win a hell of a lot but the best match I played was one that I lost. It was on the biggest map in the game and the other guy was using stealth everywhere so I just couldn't even find him. Once I finally killed the independents and reached his base with some stuff that could do some damage, I blew up some of his power plants and it revealed his base... He was covering the entire massive map. I had no choice but to give up, there was no beating that. He basically had 20 bases and a moment later they all went invisible again.

Generic-Giant-Spider

Been replaying through the TS Nod campaign again and I forgot how balls the mission was where you have to recover the Scrin ship with only a handful of troops. I'm trying to avoid walkthroughs but I remember this one was a real pain in the ass even back in the day. Finally got it after a solid hour, those Wolverines are fucking brutal to deal with.

Vatnik Wumao
Couldn't really get into Tib Sun. Its not a bad game by itself but I found the sudden shift to walkers and more outrageous sci fi gear too big a departure from the first game.

Silly Germans

The C&C3 - Tiberium Wars Campaings are pretty good if you play on hard. There are a enough missions where
you can't hunker down and steamroll the enemy. It is also one of the best looking strategy games out there, art desing,
engine and animations all look great and work together. Comparing it with other game series that made a jump into full
3d, i'd say C&C Tiberium Wars did it pretty gracefully.

But the judgement of the games depends quite on the usage. Campaigns, skirmish (AI) and multiplayer are all
quite different experiences. The critic of C&C3 Tiberium Wars only holds if you play vs the ai. I've played it
alot in LAN vs humans which was pretty great. The same goes for Red Alert 2 which was one of the stable titles
at LAN parties where i live.

Tiberium Sun left little impression on me, we only tried that one or two
times in multiplayer but it never took of. I don't have bad memories but neither did it leave a mark as especially good
with me. I guess i'll have to try the campaign again.

Santander02

Arcane
C&C 3 campaign on hard: Fuck Bern, Croatia and Kane's Tower. I had to look at a youtube walk trough to get trough those motherfuckers

Was about to throw operation firestorm in that lot too until I remembered planning mode existed, derp.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom