Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Theseus: Journey to Athens - C&C RPG made in GMS 2

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Is there any place to use the silver nugget? Couldn't bribe the guard with it.
Where can you raise intelligence? Only managed to get it to one when i sacrificed to Poseidon.

Uhhhh, you got me. I did a search of the source code and it looks like the silver is useless and Theseus is doomed to be an idiot.

Not sure how I screwed that up. I know the silver was supposed to have a purpose, I think I intended it to be one of the options for bribing the guard actually so that was a good guess.

As an apology, here is the text for all stat levels:

strengthmod[0] = "Strength: (0) Skinny youth";
strengthmod[1] = "Strength: (1) You could hurt someone";
strengthmod[2] = "Strength: (2) You intimidate the locals";
strengthmod[3] = "Strength: (3) Regional wrestling champ";
strengthmod[4] = "Strength: (4) Herakles respects you";
strengthmod[5] = "Strength: (5) Divine";

dexteritymod[0] = "Dexterity: (0) Flat-footed";
dexteritymod[1] = "Dexterity: (1) Able to move";
dexteritymod[2] = "Dexterity: (2) You can dodge a fist or two";
dexteritymod[3] = "Dexterity: (3) Potential Olympic sprinter";
dexteritymod[4] = "Dexterity: (4) Artemis couldn't shoot you";
dexteritymod[5] = "Dexterity: (5) Divine";

constitutionmod[0] = "Constitution: (0) Sickly";
constitutionmod[1] = "Constitution: (1) Healthy";
constitutionmod[2] = "Constitution: (2) Hale and Hearty";
constitutionmod[3] = "Constitution: (3) Horses are jealous of you";
constitutionmod[4] = "Constitution: (4) Disease is afraid of you";
constitutionmod[5] = "Constitution: (5) Divine";

wisdommod[0] = "Wisdom: (0) Your nickname is Epimetheus";
wisdommod[1] = "Wisdom: (1) You avoid touching fire";
wisdommod[2] = "Wisdom: (2) You know when to walk away";
wisdommod[3] = "Wisdom: (3) The gods guide you";
wisdommod[4] = "Wisdom: (4) Prometheus admires you";
wisdommod[5] = "Wisdom: (5) Divine";

intelligencemod[0] = "Intelligence: (0) Possibly an idiot";
intelligencemod[1] = "Intelligence: (1) Middling intellect";
intelligencemod[2] = "Intelligence: (2) Smart enough to be dangerous";
intelligencemod[3] = "Intelligence: (3) Daedalus would envy you";
intelligencemod[4] = "Intelligence: (4) As clever as Sisyphus";
intelligencemod[5] = "Intelligence: (5) Divine";

charismamod[0] = "Charisma: (0) Nobody enjoys talking to you";
charismamod[1] = "Charisma: (1) You told a joke once";
charismamod[2] = "Charisma: (2) You light up the room";
charismamod[3] = "Charisma: (3) Orators imitate your style";
charismamod[4] = "Charisma: (4) Gods enjoy your company";
charismamod[5] = "Charisma: (5) Divine";

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Just noticed we entered a new page. Here are the patch notes:

Patch update
Huge thank you to the brave men and women of RPG codex who made this possible by telling me about the bugs.

- New sign post graphics.
- Kerkyon now stays dead if you defeat him in wrestling. I failed to change the relevant variable in the old version.
- Boutes will not appear in Epidauros if you kill him in Troezen. The game was previously only checking one of the two relevant variables.
- Ardalos now stays dead. The game was not updating the variable post-combat.
- Mortmal is now dead in the slides if you kidnap him. Guess what was wrong with the old version? The variable wasn't being changed.
- Prokroustes is listed as dead in the slides if you kill him. Variable change missing.
- Bacon gang stays dead.

AdolfSatan

Arcane
So that's why I kept getting my head and feet chopped off!
Just throwing some thoughts around, but perhaps you could add some +1 INT when Theseus makes some cunning choices like lying about where he got the staff, or manipulating the priestess of Athenas/that dude who ran away with his fiancée.

Nutria

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
I played again a couple days ago (even managed to win finally!) but I did run into a pretty severe bug: I go into the Asklepeion. When I leave, it takes me back to the other map but puts me right back on top of the place where you go to enter the Asklepeion so I'm immediately sent back. So if I ever go to the Asklepeion I end up trapped there.

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
I played again a couple days ago (even managed to win finally!) but I did run into a pretty severe bug: I go into the Asklepeion. When I leave, it takes me back to the other map but puts me right back on top of the place where you go to enter the Asklepeion so I'm immediately sent back. So if I ever go to the Asklepeion I end up trapped there.

That's a new one; are you leaving by event, or by the sign posts? There's a variable that tracks where you are, so maybe it somehow got set incorrectly. I can't imagine how, though; I fear I will have trouble reproducing/tracking down that bug.

Nutria

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Just leaving by the sign post. I played two games and it happened both times. Maybe one of your patches somehow caused this? I don't remember it happening when I first played.

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
Ok, I'll fix it tonight when I get home. I'll also include some +int bonuses and a use for the lump of silver. Thanks for catching these things.

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer

Problem solved, new patch on steam and itch. when trying to reproduce the main bug, I died immediately because I forgot you drown if you take the boat.

I'm not going to tell you what a shit programmer I am, but it has nothing to do with variables or whatever. Whoever programmed the game is an idiot who didn't realise that the new signpost graphic had different dimensions than the old one, resulting in a collision during the scene shift. I can only pray that this issue did not crop up elsewhere, I doubt it but I cannot be certain without further testing. I guess I could just reduce the collision box, too.

I am really happy you guys discovered this because it means you played it and took the time to post. ANYWAY, it's fixed. Patch is up on Steam/Itch.

- SILVER can be used to bribe the guard in Athens
- Can go back and forth from the Sanctuary of Asklepius near Epidauros.
- +1 int when you bribe the priestess of Athena. I am fully aware the game needs another 3 or so +int events, but that's for a latter patch.

If I broke something... it wasn't me.

EDIT: I spotted some new reviews, brought a smile to my face. I will be announcing a new game in the Workshop forum later this month and will link to it here with another thanks for all the support :salute:

Last edited:

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
Development of Siege of Plataea announced here - https://rpgcodex.net/forums/index.p...evelopment-thread.69297/page-147#post-6478486

Finally, Theseus is still on sale for half price (ends 1/2/20). Depeding how this new project goes and how much I like working with ORK Framework, I might try converting Theseus to the new engine (as a new product, because I would need to pay for a whole new set of 3d assets). I think that would be a big and worthwhile improvement. At any rate, I will continue to patch the current version and include more content/C&C as time progresses.

Edit: new sale on Theseus - 25% off for a fortnight, starting 1/5.

Last edited:

Tavernking

Don't believe his lies
Developer
I would love to see a remake of this game, when your game dev skills come into full fruition. Just listen to this excerpt of the story of Theseus read by Stephen Fry, he shows how epic it can be:

Agesilaus, you should get this book

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
I would love to see a remake of this game, when your game dev skills come into full fruition. Just listen to this excerpt of the story of Theseus read by Stephen Fry, he shows how epic it can be:

Agesilaus, you should get this book

Checked out the vid, it is always interesting to hear how other people handle the mythology. If he focuses on weaving a coherent story out of the historical accounts, and avoids any reference to contemporary politics or his philosophical views, I imagine it would be quite good. It's been done a number of times before.

I'm trying to inspire myself to be productive, or at least read a lot, during this covid thing. Most of my day-job work has been kicked out a few weeks, but I've been spending my time doing family things.

Theseus is 40% off for the next fortnight or so (Steam only lets you do 14 day long sales). Stay safe.

EDIT: Also, this guy did a full, start-to-finish Let's Play for those who haven't seen it yet. It's not with the latest patches, but it's still the same game:

Last edited:

Verylittlefishes

Sacro Bosco
Patron
So inspiration thing...

I wanted to recommend you an amazing book about Titans by Yakov Golosovker, but checked and sadly it is Russian only. The idea is that Olympians are the winners who wrote the history, and monsters whom demigod heroes are slaying are the last Titan descendants mutated due Zeus' propaganda and the overall conditions of the hostile Olympian world.

It is 1955 Soviet book (so probably some Dissident/Proletariat allegory is here), weirdly written in Semi-poetic language. Sad that there is no English translation afaik. Beautiful illustrations also.

1000086490.jpg

v5tgQisJiurl1aET7oA9Xs_RH0vHGxhw-Q1IazFysYhzET_10qxJAgSPLqaNCfsJUAMAqlkXykF1R7Pysg

1509781788132494749.jpg

2MDns5nNtlRcTkteIi2el4MCAzjx811jtyRz2NP1a6tQ4-C544RmvYv79zEdBqNTvyo3UVnpOVdfJSZ7dA

Last edited:
Verylittlefishes I thought that was the general consensus on how things shook out? The Olympians are revolutionaries and the "monsters" are what Titans are left. Zeus's uses humanity for his own pleasure but is afraid of us. We end up obviating the need for God's with technology and virtuous qualities (bravery, cunning, perseverance). Thus, the modern age of iron is born.

Listening to that Stephen Fry book Heroes. Very good stuff and Fry is a highly skilled narrator.

Verylittlefishes

Sacro Bosco
Patron
Verylittlefishes I thought that was the general consensus on how things shook out? The Olympians are revolutionaries and the "monsters" are what Titans are left. Zeus's uses humanity for his own pleasure but is afraid of us. We end up obviating the need for God's with technology and virtuous qualities (bravery, cunning, perseverance). Thus, the modern age of iron is born.

Listening to that Stephen Fry book Heroes. Very good stuff and Fry is a highly skilled narrator.

I don't know what general consensus are you talking about, back in school, university and on TV (hi, Xena and Hercules!) Titans were not the defeated noble savages or the ancient wise ones defeat like in this book I mentioned.

Thanks for the advise, but I don't like Stephen Fry's activities outside of acting.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
well

this game taught me the valuable lesson that old people are much more dangerous than entire legions of wild beasts, bandits and rebel soldiers

though i must say i am disappointed that i never got to throw any oxen

Last edited:

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
though i must say i am disappointed that i never got to throw any oxen

I had to leave material for the sequel, slated for release once Theseus tops the Steam charts thanks to all the reviews.

Remember everyone, the Winter sale lasts for another twenty-something hours, how can you resist this opportunity to meet famous ancient greek serial-killers? Will this game ever go on sale again?? (the answer is probably yes, but nothing is certain!)

I'm only x number of reviews away from Steam acknowledging I exist. Ultimate power.

Last edited:

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Recently purchased the game and I'm going to play it soon. Looks nice at the first glance. I love ancient Greece and it's not a setting often explored by RPGs. I can only think of several games, mostly action RPGs like Titan Quest, Rise of the Argonauts, Numen, Assassin's Creed: Odyssey. So your approach is quite refreshing. Out of curiosity, approximately how long is the average playthrough?

AdolfSatan

Arcane
IIRC, 2h tops. Expect to replay it at the very least three times, though, it's well worth trying all the variables.

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
Recently purchased the game and I'm going to play it soon. Looks nice at the first glance. I love ancient Greece and it's not a setting often explored by RPGs. I can only think of several games, mostly action RPGs like Titan Quest, Rise of the Argonauts, Numen, Assassin's Creed: Odyssey. So your approach is quite refreshing. Out of curiosity, approximately how long is the average playthrough?

Let me know what you think! I still plan to remake the game one day. I am leaving my current job in May, so I will finally have the opportunity to seriously delve back into the world of self-study and improve my programming skills.

Nutria

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Yeah, it's short but very replayable. I don't know if Agesilaus consciously intended it, but it feels like you're someone in ancient Greece telling the story and you're picking and choosing from different versions of it that you've heard.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom