Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Do you play more female characters or male ones, and why?

alighieri

Educated
In RPGs I play mostly male characters primarily for the reason that I don't want to have the urge to masturbate everytime I play the game.

Corvinus

Arcane
Do codex lp of Dance with Rogues.
the degeneracy that entails

Our very own RK47 did a
rating_prestigious.png
LP of that one back in the day. Too bad the pictures are gone. How fast the time flies. Not saying Dances with Rogues isn't sick shit - it totally is, but when compared with the unoriginal, propaganda-filled trash that is produced today I'd say that it is apparent that the author put her heart and soul into the campaign.

Vatnik Wumao

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
When a game gave me the choice between male and female characters, I haven't picked male for at least 10 years now. I think the last time I created a male character in a single-char RPG was on my first Morrowind playthrough. I used to make mixed sex parties in games where you create a full party, but nowadays I go for women-only parties :M

jackofshadows

Magister
I got no particular preference. It depends (theme wise/aestethic wise). Although in games with party-creation I rarely goin' for the same sex scenario and do some mixing. If the game worth a replay I usually picking the other option to see more difference the game has to offer.

Black Angel

Arcane
Depends. If it doesn't have character editor I just go with whatever floats my boat at the moment, which would also depends on what kind of game/RPG I'm playing.

If it does have a character editor, with the exception of Mount&Blade I tend to try recreating American McGee's Alice Liddel, my all-time favorite video game crush :oops:

Vatnik Wumao
When a game gave me the choice between male and female characters, I haven't picked male for at least 10 years now. I think the last time I created a male character in a single-char RPG was on my first Morrowind playthrough. I used to make mixed sex parties in games where you create a full party, but nowadays I go for women-only parties :M
No surprise there given your former (?) thoughts of becoming your own qt. :^)

Empary

Scholar
Male - first playthrough, Female - second. It also depends on the voice

Curratum

Never roll females if it's a single-char game, always males. Feels weird to play females. If it's party based, it's one male, one female, until the roster is full.

BrotherFrank

Nouveau Riche
Patron
Used to always play males, but 2 titles changed my mind: dragon age and...a dance with rogues, the nwn mod.

Being quite fond of dragon age, naturally replayed it with all the origins, and when doing the city elf start, having a female character just seemed to fit the origin better.

For a dance with rogues, which despite mentioning it second was my first experience with playing female characters...Oh boy. Well, as much as most here will laugh at it, imo it did succeed in making me feel like I was actually playing a female with distinctively female problems and situations. The first time I wandered into a dark alley to get jumped by brigands who then raped my pc was an eye opener. It shocked me as a kid (as did getting raped by my "rescuer" in the friggin intro) but it made sense, I was a 18+charisma princess type going to the poorest and roughest area of town happily darting into secluded dark alleys, wtf did I think was going to happen? Choices and consequences.

Didn't even mind how often my pc got hit on by all sorts of men, as I felt more like a surrogate father trying to get the best outcome for his daughter then it being a type of self insert. A distinction I emphasize because when playing a female character there will always be a disconnect since well I'm not a woman irl, so I always feel a degree of separation, thus making it 100% not gay when considering which man my princess pc should end up with.

These 2 examples opened my mind to the possibility of playing a female in games, but only when the game actually treats gender as something that matters instead of them being gelatinous blobs who are completely interchangeable and treated the same by everyone else. It's rare in most games unfortunately, but for titles like fallout 1-2 or arcanum, playing a female is actually worth it imo (attractive dumb bimbo run ftw, just watch out for myron!). Actually now I think about it, will have to check if Age of Decadence treats genders differently aswell.

TLDR: Mostly play males but am down to play females when the game treats gender as important. Sexism in rpgs is great!

Last edited:

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Actually now I think about it, will have to check if Age of Decadence treats genders differently aswell.
Unfortunately, no difference whatsoever. Although I haven't actually tried playing female characters as, say, a Mercenary -> join IG.

No acknowledgment of my character's sex in any of my playthroughs, including IG.

Wyatt_Derp

Arcane
I wouldn't mind occasionally playing as a bouncy titty hot chick, but sadly most of the females in games these days are just wannabe tomboy types. Thus the choice is between strong man or not as strong wo-man who wants to be strong man. If your RPG skill slider had a minimum limit for strength at either 5 or 6, which number are you going to pick? Roll them snake-eyes.

Or to put it in more nerdspeak. Wanna play as a dwarf? Then don't make a 7 foot tall warrior and name him Gimli. Differentiation and specialization are wonderful things.

Hirato

Purse-Owner
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I'd love to play a historical RPG where playing a female character was the hard mode.

I'm trying to think of games where this is the case. The only one that comes to mind is Kenshi where the Holy Nation won't take bounties from female PCs.

Mount and Blade has elements of that as well.
It mostly translates in people looking down on you, and you having to work for your first fief.

Do codex lp of Dance with Rogues.
the degeneracy that entails

Our very own RK47 did a
rating_prestigious.png
LP of that one back in the day. Too bad the pictures are gone. How fast the time flies. Not saying Dances with Rogues isn't sick shit - it totally is, but when compared with the unoriginal, propaganda-filled trash that is produced today I'd say that it is apparent that the author put her heart and soul into the campaign.
I don't remember when Dropbox did their dumb shit and killed the public folder, but it should be backed up on archive.org however.
https://web.archive.org/web/2015012...th-rogues-47-divided-we-stand-finished.63942/

Semiurge

Cipher
Depends on which makes more sense in context. In games like VtM:B it doesn't matter at all since the "real-life rules" don't apply in the society of darkest night, but in games where your character becomes a classic hero and everyone worships at your feet, it doesn't seem realistic to play as female. I try to suspend disbelief in order to make my perfect storyfag experience complete.

Women are dumb and crafty, so I make them my rogues.

Dumb people don't make good rogues :|

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom