Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

RTS Command & Conquer Remastered Collection from Petroglyph

baud

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I remember watching a friend playing Red Alert on PS1, was the balancing changed compared to the PC version to account for the worst controls?

Terra

Cipher
I don't know if anyone really looked all that deeply into the differences between versions and I've never gone back to replay the PS1 version after switching to PC. Off the top of my head I recall the following notable differences:
-PS1 RA had a different grass colour than PC because... reasons?
-in linked games (two ps1 consoles connected skirmish mode) any AI units became ridiculously aggressive (possibly cheating?) but were far, far more deadly than anything you'd see in regular single player skirmish mode
-some post-mission FMVs (the more violent ones I guess) were missing in the PS1 version; affects both C&C + RA
-the final GDI mission in Sarajevo always shows the FMV where the Temple of NOD is Ion Cannoned, there didn't seem to be any way to trigger the other FMV on PS1

Last edited:

Renfri

Cipher
I didn't realize that this in works, and it actually looks good too like WTF

Beastro

Arcane
I don't know if anyone really looked all that deeply into the differences between versions and I've never gone back to replay the PS1 version after switching to PC. Off the top of my head I recall the following notable differences:
-in linked games (two ps1 consoles connected skirmish mode) any AI units became ridiculously aggressive (possibly cheating?) but were far, far more deadly than anything you'd see in regular single player skirmish mode
-some post-mission FMVs (the more violent ones I guess) were missing in the PS1 version; affects both C&C + RA
-the final GDI mission in Sarajevo always shows the FMV where the Temple of NOD is Ion Cannoned, there didn't seem to be any way to trigger the other FMV on PS1

The UI, especially the unit icons, were downgraded and of poorer quality. Some were completely different, iirc.

Endemic

Arcane
Base defences were easier to destroy in the PS1 version of RA. Only two V2 rockets per Allied anti-tank turret, for example.

Deflowerer

Arcane
Never was lucky enough to play these at the time they were released.

Hoping that it will have a decent multiplayer community at least for a while.

I've never played them either since my first PC was only acquired in 2003. I'll want to go through campaigns when this is released but I'd imagine these games are probably gonna be bit too simplistic for multiplayer to remain engaging for longer time. Do correct me if I'm wrong.

Naraya

Arcane
I've never played them either since my first PC was only acquired in 2003. I'll want to go through campaigns when this is released but I'd imagine these games are probably gonna be bit too simplistic for multiplayer to remain engaging for longer time. Do correct me if I'm wrong.

Have you tried OpenRA? If not, I recommend you try (it's completely free) before spending money on the remasters - this way you will know what to expect. Also from what I understand, OpenRA is THE way to play C&C if you want to go multiplayer.

Hellraiser

Arcane

The UI, especially the unit icons, were downgraded and of poorer quality. Some were completely different, iirc.

The PS1 ports are based on the DOS versions of both games which ran at VGA resolution. Win 95 versions of C&C (C&C Gold) and RA used SVGA. The key differences are that, of course, you see 4 times as much map space on the screen on the windows version and also have more detailed sidebar icons based on 3D renders, as opposed to the simple low-res ones on a dull grey background.

maxresdefault.jpg

XZUSgvVl.png

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane

Yeah, I think it's only gonna work for someone who is nostalgic for these games and even then I'm fairly sure it'll be "oh cool I'll buy and never play it" for many people. Looking at this gives me the same vibes as seeing Diablo released on GOG not long ago. I quite liked these games back in the day for their overall charm, awesome music, graphics and videos and the simplistic gameplay was ok, but fuck me if I see any point in playing this in current year. I mean, it's obviously a decent effort so all power and good luck to them, but meh.

Generic-Giant-Spider

Looks like this'll be joining the Age of Empire remasters as remasters that aren't low effort trash ala WC3.

This almost makes up for the knife in the heart that was that mobile game from a couple years back.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Yeah, I think it's only gonna work for someone who is nostalgic for these games and even then I'm fairly sure it'll be "oh cool I'll buy and never play it" for many people. Looking at this gives me the same vibes as seeing Diablo released on GOG not long ago. I quite liked these games back in the day for their overall charm, awesome music, graphics and videos and the simplistic gameplay was ok, but fuck me if I see any point in playing this in current year.

100% this.

Another example - back in the day Dune 2 was probably my favourite game ever. Played the everloving shit out of it.

I still admire it but I wouldn't dream of playing it today, even fully remastered. The same way I admire Ford Model T but....you know the rest.

(Interestingly in the recent years I replayed games like Wizardry 6, Betrayal at Krondor or Battle Isle 2 and had a nuclear blast. Not sure what the difference is).

Grimlorn

Arcane
I've seen people talking/asking for the console version of C&C. I mean WTF? Forgive my ignorance (I've never owned a console in my life) but can you connect a mouse to a console? And if not, then how the hell are you supposed to play a RTS?
I have played CnC on console along with Warzone 2100. It's not great. You have to use the analog stick like a mouse. Click a button to hold and drag. etc.

Generic-Giant-Spider

I played WARCRAFT II: THE DARK SAGA on a PS1 once, it was one of the most mindfucking experiences I've ever had. The game came out in that time when the PS1 didn't have the analog controller as the standard so you had to use the D-Pad as the mouse. Holy shit. Holy fuck. The game was also pretty zoomed out compared to PC and lacked a lot of detail on the units.

And looking it up apparently there was Command & Conquer on the PS1 as well AND the N64? The latter looks like an entirely new game too. Hahaha, imagine if you challenged kids at school back then when you'd talk massive amounts of shit on who was better. "Play me in Command & Conquer on the N64, BITCH." Hahahahahaha, god you'd deserve to be bullied.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom