Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Pre-Release Thread [EARLY ACCESS RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Sherry

Arcane
Hi!

gosh. Gosh. GOSH!

The reveal was intense I hope many of you caught if inot you can find it on ytoube as original or even as reveal by your favotyite streamer talking about it and all the great ghints it will have. Really hopds we can mnet old friends again too. Some of my favorite from the first two.

DVZuJTM.jpg

z4ZvZub.jpg

6sntQsz.jpg

7FRGEev.jpg

kyJjWqS.jpg

Thanks,
Sherry

Corvinus

Arcane
And now for something entirely different.

The Forgotten Realms, or Faerûn, is often held in contempt for being a completely unoriginal kitchen-sink setting where anything and everything has a place (races, creatures, et cetera). This not false, since it comes with being the "default" setting for D&D. However, the in the early Realms there were some interesting details which made it stand out. Such as the below:

Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting said:
Like the elves the Dwarves are a people whose numbers have been dwindling. In their case the overall population has been declining since the days when the dragons controlled the lands of Cormyr, and the Sunrise Mountains still spouted flames and steam.
The reason for this decline is twofold: For ages lhe Dwarves have engaged in wars bordering on the genocidal, fighting against other races, such as orcs and goblins, who sought out the same caverns and mines the dwarves considered their homes. In those ancient days a live orc was competition both for treasure and for living space, and dwarven armies fought and died to protect and expand their realms. Unlike the goblin races, however, the Dwarves were slow to recover their losses, and in time their numbers have diminished so that in another millennium the Dwarf may join the Duergahydra in extinction in the Realms.

and

FR11 Dwarves Deep said:
The Doom of the
Dwarves

The tragic ‘secret’ of the dwarves is their low birthrate. Fear of clan extinction sometimes drives dwarves to raid human settlements for mates, or even to deal with slavers. The dwarves are usually in search of human women, because the low dwarven birthrate is thought to be due to low fertility among dwarven women. The offspring of a human and a dwarf is always dwarven enough to pass for a true dwarf (although it may be a foot taller than other dwarves). Any offspring it may in turn have with a dwarven mate will be fully dwarven, reverting to usual dwarven height. The taking of human mates is “the secret salvation of the race” referred to by some dwarven elders.

When taking those quotes into consideration, and that the typical life span of a Dwarf is about 350 years (as could be seen in, for example, in PHBR6 The Complete book of Dwarves, 1991, page 8) it means that the northern, typical Dwarves which frequent the Baldur's Gate games will join the Dodo in three generations. There's also not a single Dwarven kingdom of note anywhere on the map (where most campaigns or games are likely to take place). It is not only the Dwarves themselves that die out, but their culture, too.
Consider that during your next play-through of the predecessors!

World-building such as this is what makes a true RPG, and should really be the focus of any new Baldurs Gate game - not if it will be possible to fuck an interdimensional alien up the arse.

Last edited:

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Mmm, trying to get dwarves to fuck/have babies doesn't sound like a particularly engaging use of my time. Can we skip out on the fucking just this once altogether?

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Were intellect devourers nerfed in 5E? I remember the one in the prison in NwN had me pissing blood between DR and fear procs. Meanwhile, Swen just squished one with a pair of shoes.

Neerasrc

Learned
Were intellect devourers nerfed in 5E? I remember the one in the prison in NwN had me pissing blood between DR and fear procs. Meanwhile, Swen just squished one with a pair of shoes.

Swen probably played the easy version of the game. When you played the easy version of the game in Dos2, there were stupid artificial intelligence bugs like climbing stairs. In other words, the enemy would not attack you, only AP actions. (in classic version) I don't know what the situation is in the DE version -)

Dodo1610

Arcane
They have 21HP and 12AC in the monster manual but in BG3 they only have 15HP and 8 AC so Larian definitely nerfed them, though they still have the same amount of DEX

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom