Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Battle Brothers + Beasts & Exploration, Warriors of the North and Blazing Deserts DLC Thread

Reinhardt

Arcane
Of course you get hit sometimes but the seer + perfect focus + mind over body + high ini can kill a non-armored unhold in one turn alone (3 hits).
Good luck finding lone unarmored unhold. Prolebashers can confirm - they don't walk alone even in very early game. And by day 50 it's usually mountain dude+6-7 regular unholds.
About hitting people with 70+ mdef with decent chance, aside from swordmasters, i don't know who can do that, probably no one.
White doggos can kill even shieldmaiden with tower shield and masteries if they decide to focus her.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
I know, i picked some 30K legendary contracts with my previous run where there were 23 armored unholds and 9 rock unholds amongst them.

But this time, either because i took hexen as favourite enemies first or because i'm playing as a seer, all the legendary contracts are about coven leaders with their white wolves + redbacks + eventually a heart-thing schrat minions.
Easy cash, runes and pelts. :positive:

One rock unhold isn't a big deal, it's annoying but nothing like 9 rock unholds and their minions.

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
What kind of armor should I be giving my Nimble based Duelist using a Fencing Sword? IK Heavy armor is no good, but IDK what to use to best make use of Nimble.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Depends, i used to equip the fencer with a sallet helmet + the 115 dur armor (with matching set) but i recently switched to the necromancer helmet (40 dur and no fat penalty) and an equivalent armor + bone plating.

With a high enough ini, 20+ mdef and dodge, he's mostly alright as long as he's not surrounded; and if he is, you're playing him wrong; so i guess it's up to you.

Of course, this is for a level 11+ fencer, before, just check your nimble buff to see how your armor is affecting damage reduction.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Also, duelist isn't necessary, the two-handed fencing sword is great (or is it a legends only weapon ? didn't play vanilla for ages), specially if you're lucky enough to get a good named one.

Emily

Arcane
No, because again, what you want from an armor is a matching set for the perk (+ fat recovery) or something similar with current ini = half your body armor (or a bit more) for the balance perk bonus.
So you have to keep a lot of layers shit in your inventory hoping for a good match.

I'm not sure this is the right game for an immersion-fag, specially since my other point specially apply to you, layered armors makes all the armors look like shit.
Balance and matching set is shit. It's still either nimble nudist wrestlers or battleforged and heaviest possible armor.
Pretty much.
And back in the day without DLC there was not option even, the battleforged and heaviest was the only way to go.

Murk

Arcane
What kind of armor should I be giving my Nimble based Duelist using a Fencing Sword? IK Heavy armor is no good, but IDK what to use to best make use of Nimble.

Heaviest I went was Noble Mail + weightless addon, or if you find a good famed/named light armor.

It may be worth it to take a bit of a reduction to nimble, like say 5-10% if it means effectively doubling how many hit points of damage you can take through the armor.

Noble Mail + Sallet = 47% reduction still on nimble, and you get 120H/160B armor, plus if you slap on the bone add-on it's first hit totally negated (or one of the fur addons for ranged protection since that can be an issue when out alone).

This was one I found in my Davkul playthrough (the helmet is 260 for 11).

7e34b3ae9af40ab1ee66e5769e2699f6.png

And another, same run, even better ratio:

3e05fe60184526c326362e361f91d4a4.png

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Another great thing about Legends is the new weapons, there's a pole flail which allows you to hit 2 tiles away for 5 AP, great with berserk or perfect focus, it's insanely good if you find a named one.

And recently, a Necrosavant Lord dropped not another good cleaver but a 2H named spear which has a swing move either at 1 tile range or 2, 65-85 dmg only but it's really good.

Vatnik Wumao
We’ve previously covered a good chunk of what the southern city states are about. Now it’s time to take a look at some of their troops that you may end up facing on the field of battle. Charge!

Slaves

Whether born into slavery, made into a slave as punishment by law, or taken on a raid into foreign territory and sold to the highest bidder on a slave auction, it’s on the back of slaves like these that much of the economy of the city states is built. But slaves are not just cheap labor in peacetime, they’re also used as expendable troops in war.

077d9db73375db831b4af24d7f26b483d7c51e97.jpg

Life is cheap in the south, as the saying goes, and nothing makes this harsh reality sink in better than how the city states treat their slaves. In battle, they’re usually send first against the enemy to tire out their lines before the real battle begins. They’re poorly armed, many just carrying tools used as improvised weapons, and rely on swarming, flanking and overwhelming the enemy. They have poor morale and flee easily, but killing or breaking them does not affect the morale of any city state troops that aren’t slaves themselves. In fact, the city state troops have no qualms about friendly fire when it comes to slaves, and they may seize the opportunity that slaves provide by locking down the enemy and fire their ranged weapons into the thick of battle.

Conscripts

Citizens of the great city states enjoy privileges that neither slaves nor outsiders do. For example, they have the opportunity to conduct business with the legal certainty of a codified law and can even hire legal council. In turn, they also have certain obligations to their state. Having to pay taxes is one such obligation, but another one for every adult male citizen is either mandatory military service or paying a hefty sum into the state’s coffers to be exempt. The council of Viziers may decide to conscript the citizens for the defense of the city state or for otherwise protecting and furthering the interests of the state. In practise, this can mean anything between border skirmishes with other states, doomed punitive expeditions deep into the deserts to hunt down raiders, and crushing slave rebellions.

5a6dc5f1ad1b39605966a6f21b0105face105185.jpg

Conscripts make up the bulk of the military force of the city states. They have received some military drill and are most often dressed in a distinct southern armor made of several layers of linen, called a Linothorax, that is relatively cheap to produce. If they don’t have access to helmets, they choose to wrap cloth around their heads to protect against the sun. The color and patterns of these head wraps are often linked to a particular region of the south, and one familiar would know what place a southern conscript calls home by his headwear alone. Just before battle lines clash, Conscripts employ a unique weapon of the city states. It’s one reason why they are a military power to be reckoned with, and you’ll learn about next week in detail!

Officers

Officers of the city states are mostly made up of the wealthy who would have enough funds to buy themselves free of conscription, but seek a career commanding troops in the military by their own volition. A victorious commander will accrue influence and gravitas, and some Officers may consider the army but a stepping stone in a fledgling political career.

ab2c293c4b398d4c5cd7cc2a30ec47a36d5e7bd0.jpg

Considerably better armed than Conscripts, Officers carry finely crafted mail and lamellar armor with intricate southern ornaments into battle. Naturally, all armors can also be bought, looted and worn by your own men in the game!

Assassins

Members of a secretive ritualistic cult, Assassins deal in death and provide murder as a service. They have no political ambition beyond the continued survival of their cult and that of their warped philosophy, and so act only in service to other parties, like individual city states. They’re not encountered roaming on the world map, but exclusively as part of contracts and events.

e3653651e71ece367922ecec960a13430b94e484.jpg

In battle, Assassins wear traditional black robes over finely crafted mail. Many also choose to exchange their own face for that of their master and founder of their cult, the old man on the mountain, by wearing metal face masks. Assassins have a nimble combat style and employ a variety of alchemical contraptions like Flash Pots and Smoke Pots to daze their opponents and move freely between them, only to then use a Qatal Dagger for greater impact on their debilitated victims.

FreeKaner

Prophet of the Dumpsterfire
The artist used these images as template:

DCY7-Umn-Xk-AMELG0.jpg
DBL7n-MKXs-AAJ3uh.jpg

One game where I hoped the medieval Abbasid aesthetic could exist, they go ahead and do like every other game and not use medieval Abbasid aesthetic.

Last edited:

jungl

Augur
They have all these weapons but at the end of the day there only a handful you want to use. Why bother using a shamshir when you have a crypt cleaver? Three headed flails are useless.

Zariusz

Arbiter
One game where I hoped the medieval Abbasid aesthetic could exist, they go ahead and do like every other game and not use medieval Abbasid aesthetic.

Ehh im also disapointed, i start to think that devs wanted to make southern states kinda more advanced comapred to north. Or maybe they think that medieval muslim armor is not different enough from european medieval armor.

And i was right about Linothorax.
What a weird mix, early modern mirror armor and antique linothorax.

Where are muh persian cataphracts:negative:

Emily

Arcane
They have all these weapons but at the end of the day there only a handful you want to use. Why bother using a shamshir when you have a crypt cleaver? Three headed flails are useless.

Pretty much.

i dont see the point of all these new armor and weapons without expanding the actual gameplay lol.

hivemind

Cipher
Patron
Pretty Princess
y why would you pick the new weapons to a point based tournament setup when you could just be using the warschythe for maximum value per point to be able to perform competitively

Teut Busnet

Cipher
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
Why are you comparing a one-handed sword to a two-handed cleaver?

The three headed flail is a good weapon for your tank, if you don't want enemies to leave your zone.

Teut Busnet

Cipher
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
The three headed flail is a good weapon for your tank, if you don't want enemies to leave your zone.

Send a 2H warrior with underdog and reach advantage into the fray, hit kill them, there you have it, he's your tank ...
I prefer guys with 70+ defense, who also - in addition to Lone Wolf - heavily invested in Resolve and HP so they don't break or die and can hold up 3-4 Orc Warriors or Chosen.

They also can make a run to a Necromancer, Geist or Priest, because with defense that high they can slip through enemies' zone of control.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
I prefer guys with 70+ defense, who also - in addition to Lone Wolf - heavily invested in Resolve and HP so they don't break or die and can hold up 3-4 Orc Warriors or Chosen.

They also can make a run to a Necromancer, Geist or Priest, because with defense that high they can slip through enemies' zone of control.

Fair tactic, but i can take them the same way, i just bait them skelingtons and some 2H and the fencer break through their formation; usually 2/3 guys make it through, either in the center or through the sides.
Gheists and necromancers aren't a huge threat.

Undead priests, on the other hand ... but they're heavily guarded so your tank can't do much about them once he's blocked and surrounded, maybe you're luckier than i am but they almost always hit me with a crit on the first turn when they get the chance.

Usually, the seer is the ultimate weapon against undead priests or some very skilled merc pointing a crossbow at them (preferably two)

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Yeah, her teleport skill is just amazing, along with her few helpful spells.
You should give it a try if you have some time to waste on BB (no armors layers, everything else on, don't play the legendary difficulty either)

I think i'll write a sort of guide on what to expect and how to enjoy the Legends mod.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom