Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

A Proposal Regarding Newfag Access and Entrance Fees

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
Gotta give out respect for smaug. He's already been here for more than a year and he's still fighting for newfag rights.

Meanwhile, there are several cucks in this thread literally asking to have their rights waivered in the name of "Codex purity" or whatever.

A horse of course

I hate Crispy more than anyone on this site. Not even joking. Just reading the first one or two lines of anything he posts makes you wish for a nuclear winter.

Bigg Boss

Arcane
DarkUnderlord, Taluntain, and Infinitron, thank you in advance for reading.

I would like to draw to your attention a matter of no small importance: that of the ability for any Tom, Dick and/or Harry (no pun intended) to pay a measly fee in order to have complete, unfettered access not only to General Discussion but also to the holy Box of Shouting.

This is unacceptable, and I will explain why.

First of all, a long-standing tradition of newfags being harassed and having to earn their place amongst us otherwise prestigious Codexers is being bypassed entirely. No longer do they have to earn their stripes, so to speak, through actual effort in posting in the General RPG forums and elsewhere; by simply clicking authorize on their PayPal accounts they're free to clog up what used to be restricted areas with whatever mental dribble they can manage to cough up. It is lazy and a mockery of our once fine traditions.

Secondly, I feel as if the opposite effect of what you might have intended with this policy is occurring. Let me clarify: it is obvious that by taking in these fees, you're generating funds to either maintain your cocaine habit(s) or you're actually putting that money towards server upkeep, etc. (lol). But the real effect that taking in these hobos' money is having is further alienating long-standing, loyal members who instead of being inspired to keep Codex prestigious, might decide they've had enough of this unwashed rabble and decide to take their snobbishness elsewhere. Thus, net loss for Codex, both monetarily and culturally. And no, I'm not referring to the kind of culture you might be thinking of; I'm referring to the culture of Codex Lost: A Bunch of Angry Cunts. We are no longer those cunts. We are a faceless mass of real-time loving, anime-watching mouthbreathers. And this is all due to these admission policies diluting what would otherwise be a still-worthy Codex of old.

So, on to my proposal:

Continue accepting pay-for-play, but do so on a tiered basis:

• $100.00 gets you full access, Shoutbox and everything. Hey, everyone has their price, even us.
  • $50.00 gets you access to all forums including GD, but Shoutbox is still off-limits until you're here for a full year.
  • $25.00 reduces your vetting time to one month, after which you get access to GD, but Shoutbox is still out of your grasp for one year.
  • $10.00 reduces your waiting time for GD to six months, Shoutbox one year.
  • $5.00 still gets you a patron tag, but otherwise we laugh at you. One year sentence.

I think these prices are fair, I think the wait periods are reasonable, and this way everyone's happy.

It cannot be stated strongly enough how important it is to maintain some level of control in allowing these immigrants new users in. The barbarians are at our gate. We must act.

Thank you again for your time.

Despite what the detractors think, this is a good idea. The only people that will disagree are shitposters and die hard noob defenders. Think about it though. Some of the people posting on this site now were born AFTER 2000. It's disgusting.

SerratedBiz

Arcane
If anything, it's real-time shoutboxers that have brought decline to our otherwise monocled, turn-based forum posting community. Just ban anyone who's ever engaged in the shoutbox and things should improve dramatically.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
The problem are not register dates, but the atrocious things people say/write...

• insulting indisputable classics such as Fallout, Arcanum, Baldur's Gate, ToEE, Wizardry, etc.
  • putting the Dark Age of RPGs (Mass Effect, Witcher, Dragon Age) above the Renaissance era which preceded it
  • contaminating RPG discussion with Dark Souls garbage
  • spreading enthusiasm for Bethesda's industrial soulless trash
  • praising pitiful neo-RPGs such as Pillars, Numenera, DOS, Pathfinder
  • mentioning the phrase "it's good for what it is"

All these people should be beheaded, regardless of join date.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
The problem are not register dates, but the atrocious things people say/write...

• insulting indisputable classics such as Fallout, Arcanum, Baldur's Gate, ToEE, Wizardry, etc.
  • putting the Dark Age of RPGs (Mass Effect, Witcher, Dragon Age) above the Renaissance era which preceded it
  • contaminating RPG discussion with Dark Souls garbage
  • spreading enthusiasm for Bethesda's industrial soulless trash
  • praising pitiful neo-RPGs such as Pillars, Numenera, DOS, Pathfinder
  • mentioning the phrase "it's good for what it is"

All these people should be beheaded, regardless of join date.

YES!

Except for the Boulder's Gate part ...

Sjukob

Arcane

Peachcurl

Cipher
As a side note: for newdogs it's not perfectly clear when/how/what you get in terms of "features" for donations. The descriptions seem confusing, covering different campaigns and purposes. You might also get more donations if you clarify what payment details are recorded/stored in your system (i.e., what data is received from paypal).

Not a necessity, but it might help.

Reinhardt

Arcane
No gd for newfags. Move all their threads to gd so decent people could rate and mention them to drive them insane.

Bigg Boss

Arcane
Ignoring does not block the ratings.

Bitch I don't care. I'm explaining the logic behind why people still care. There can be no other reason.

Last edited:

Gerrard

Arcane
Ignoring does not block the ratings.

Bitch I don't care. I'm explaining the logic behind why people still care. There can be no other reason.
It blocks the notifications though. If you don't have them off already.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom