Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

DOOM Eternal - the sequel to the 2016 reboot - now with The Ancient Gods DLC

Onionguy

Educated
Doom Eternal is a pretty meh game.
Not to mention that when you glory kill or saw someone, you are not in control of your characters while others can attack you and run around you while you are "stunned" from the animation.

You know how in Dark Souls that you can't move while attacking and thus have to think ahead about when it's safe to attack?
It's the same thing.
So if you are up to 3 stronger enemies and you don't have enough ammo, you are "Doomed"? Because you can't run away from their projectiles, you move slowly, and you can't replenish the little ammo you have because you will get killed.
Maybe you need to plan ahead to kill one of the big guys with the Chainsaw, and then work out from there.
What you then do is leave some of the fodder enemies alive because they only take one charge to kill with the Chainsaw.

Doom Eternal is a pretty meh game.
Not to mention that when you glory kill or saw someone, you are not in control of your characters while others can attack you and run around you while you are "stunned" from the animation.

You know how in Dark Souls that you can't move while attacking and thus have to think ahead about when it's safe to attack?
It's the same thing.

They are nowhere near the same.

If the Doom "Slayer" moved as fast as the Doom Guy did, the fights would be much, much easier, where as movement speed would do nothing in Dark Souls, as you still have to figure how the enemy moves. Dark Souls is finger learning kind of difficulty. You have to memorize the boss move set with your hands so that it then becomes second nature. But in a gun and run game like this the variables are too random. It's all about dodging things at the last moment and you can't do that efficiently because your movement is hamstringed so you have to rely on movement boosters like double jumping, jumping platforms or teleporters, or tricks like the hologram grande.
If you could move during or cancel out of any move in Dark Souls, the game would lose 70% of its difficulty because you're no longer put in a vulnerable position after attacking. Instead of getting punished for whiffing or attacking an enemy with super armor, you can dodge everything on reaction and don't have to bother with reading ahead, like dodging in any Platinum game.

It ain't rocket science. If you want to Glory Kill without getting hit right afterwards, you either need to do it in a spot where you aren't surrounded, or set up a situation where you can safely do it. You have the tools for that; 16 gave you the spammable Stun Bomb and Eternal gives you the Ice Bomb. Instead of going right for the Glory Kill you stagger other nearby enemies first so they won't interrupt you by the time you're done Glory Killing. People feel strangely compelled to execute a Glory Kill when they see an enemy glowing even though it puts them in a worse position, and then they complain about how its gets them killed.

To use a better in-game example, Glory Kills are like charging up Siege Mode. You can't move while charging it (unless you upgraded it at which point it becomes trivial to do), but the rewards are worth it.
So what? sure, you can approach many situations tactically in regards to glory kills, but that's not the point. The point is, the whole mechanic is so fucking boring, it slows down the action and it looks samey and boring. Not a good fit for a fast paced fps game.

Seethe

Arbiter
Personally I am upset because the game forces you to look for zombies in a crowd of demons, so you can use your low fuel chainsaw on them, for the ridiculous looking pinata ammo. Ammo which is really scarce and you run out of very often from what I've seen. Also the fact that gory kills became more of a main mechanic disgusts me. That's not how a shooter is supposed to work. It breaks the pace and it feels too gimmicky.

OctavianRomulus

Learned
Personally I am upset because the game forces you to look for zombies in a crowd of demons, so you can use your low fuel chainsaw on them, for the ridiculous looking pinata ammo. Ammo which is really scarce and you run out of very often from what I've seen. Also the fact that gory kills became more of a main mechanic disgusts me. That's not how a shooter is supposed to work. It breaks the pace and it feels too gimmicky.

Not necessarily a zombie. The weaker enemies can tear you a new one too and knowing which to chainsaw and when can make the difference between life and death.

Curratum

Scratch that. The game is such complete ass, it won't even let me load into the menu unless you're on the very latest drivers and I'm not going through 20 minutes of driver updates and reboots just so I can hate more competently on a heap of garbage. Deleted.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Bathsheba should make RPGs, not FPSes.
I mean, it's ok this exist, but they don't seem like a company to make FPSes.
Some companies have more experiences and infrastructure to make FPSes.

Yeah, we should get id software to make FPS games.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron

Yeah, I've beaten two levels now and pretty much agree. They took the kind of annoying but didn't hurt the game much aspect of Doom 2016 and then focused WAY more on it, actually hurting the game a good bit. I'm playing on ultra violence and there's just no way to finish the bigger fights without constantly glory killing for health and frequently chainsawing for ammo. The hell knights do like 80 damage in one hit, so as soon as you get hit once you have to glory kill something for health. As you say, it's obvious the retard zombies waddling around are like mobile ammo and health crates. Reviewers praised the shit out of this system in 2016 so I guess it makes sense they'd amp it up, but I think amping it up makes it waaaay worse.

Also the jumping shit is stupid. It just doesn't belong in a game like this, and is also focused on way too much.

darthaegis

Cipher
Tried the "extended demo", uninstalled after getting tired of seeing the LOW AMMO warning on my screen and walking around looking for small demons to chainsaw. Feels like half the fucking combat is trying to get ammo instead of just playing the actual game. The combat itself is enjoyable (weapons feel better across the board IMO) , but between retarded platforming and constantly looking at glory kill and chainsaw animations, it's not good enough to bother.

orcinator

Liturgist
Here's my review from playing up to the snow level:
They improved some things. For example, the regular shotgun doesn't suck (you'll still never use the primary, but that's because secondary is OP) and the weak enemies are less bullet spongy while the strong ones feel about as tough as they were in NeoDoom1.
They made some things way worse, some weapons being super effective against certain enemies is shit design and using a chainsaw on a weak enemy every now and then isn't particularly interesting. Instead of trimming the fat they added semi-redundant features like the flamefart and doompunch.

And a lot of stuff like the "run in circles while demons spawn randomly around you" encounter design is pretty much the same.

Still better than a regular Halocod shooter but it just makes me want to know when Dusk2 is coming out/10

Also I have no idea why people are complaining about being hit mid-glorykill, I hit that button when in a swarm on nightmare and come out okay 90% of the time.

Last edited:

SumDrunkGuy

Are there not ammo storage upgrades later on? If the whole game is like these early bits it's going to be one miserable experience.

OctavianRomulus

Learned
Are there not ammo storage upgrades later on? If the whole game is like these early bits it's going to be one miserable experience.

I don't know, I like this kind of gameplay. I think it's superior to 2016. I guess I am a sucker for punishment. In one of the games I faced 2 Cyberdemons and about 15 other monsters. When I killed them a Hunter spawned too. Good times.

I think Eternal is the better game but 2016 is the better Doom game due to better exploration and secrets, which at least for me are a huge part of the experience not just because of gameplay reasons but also because they contribute to the atmosphere. If Eternal had better exploration it would have been flatout better.

For me, Ion Maiden is the bar when it comes to exploration. I am quite good at finding secrets in general but I found only like 50% of them. That is what I am hoping for.

TheHeroOfTime

Arcane
Platforming? Lmao what is this Metroid: Prime or what

I heard there's also a lot of focus on arena moments in this game so I'll avoid playing it for now. Not my favourite mechanic and there's a other couple of games I want to play instead.

Like Skyrim

With Sexlab mods

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
There is 4 armour upgrade that give max ammo. But the whole ammo is all around scares because of the retarded chainsaw mechanic. At the beginning of the game you can have 12 shotgun shells at max,an upgrade gives you 6 more,so you could end up with 48 max,that is like 24 supershotgun shots. You constantly run around with the low ammo flash light.

The whole game really feels nothing like old doom. The mobility is nice,but retards decided to put up some retarded platforming. Also the whole idea of the game is for you to get from arena to arena and fight respawning mobs without any savegame options. The arenas are like something from quake 3,and the encounter are really fucking cheap because 99% of the times you die is because something spawned behind you and killed you when you were strifing in to it.

The story on the other side is darksiders level of generic garbage. Angels and demons being muh space/universe beings etc etc.

Maybe if the game wasn't called doom,it could have been ok.

Monkeyfinger

Cipher
Chances are pretty high they'll do a first month gameplay patch for all the babbies complaining about scarce ammo.

Excessive platforming sections on the other hand, I have to imagine those are here to stay.

Draconis

Liturgist
People have to be really bad to actually run out of ammo. To not like the gameplay mechanics is one thing but run out of ammo? Lol. Time to put gaming back on the shelf old timers.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
People have to be really bad to actually run out of ammo. To not like the gameplay mechanics is one thing but run out of ammo? Lol. Time to put gaming back on the shelf old timers.

Are you playing on ultra violence or higher? Certain enemies take a lot of hits, and you start with literally 16 shotgun bullets. Even with the machine gun and plasma gun now, I still have to chainsaw pretty often. They throw a lot of enemies at you, and everything moves pretty quickly so even ace god gamer is gonna miss here and there. You take damage very fast as well. It's not like you can't manage though. I only died a few times in two levels. It's just annoying to have to constantly switch and constantly chainsaw/glory kill. They said in interviews they wanted to force people to use all the guns and glory kill more often, but I thought they meant like a little bit. Ends up they meant all the fucking time.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
If it's like Doom 2016 the only reason you run out of ammo is because your max ammo capacity is very low and will stay low until you pick up some upgrades.

Once you get to max ammo capacity there's almost no point to chain anyone, and in fact since it's an instant kill attack you only end up using it during emergencies. Certainly not to replenish ammo since it's fucking everywhere by the end of the game, even more so if you use broken runes like The Rich Get Richer, where you have infinite ammo as long you have armor.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom