Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Solasta Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Bara

Arcane
Myzzrym whatever weapon gets selected please consider giving it to a monster to be used against the party.

Best way to feel like you earned using a strong weapon is to take it from they're cold bloody hands.

Myzzrym

Tactical Adventures
Patron
Developer
(Not so) fun fact: I had to take footage of that goblin fights so many times.

Reasons included:
- Forgot to replace the goblin placeholder icon (the image didn't belong to us)
- Forgot to turn off the fog of war which isn't tuned yet so it made the video look weird
- Part of the level was still showing whitebox, so we had to put a huge rock to hide it
- The video was shot at like 1pm in-game so the sun was so bright you couldn't see much at all. Had to spam short rest (didn't have enough food for long rest...) until we found better lighting (no way to "skip time" in the current build)
- Numerous crashes because development build :argh:
- Shitty RNG, so many dead adventurers while trying to record cool stuff

(Not so) fun fact: I had to take footage of that goblin fights so many times.

Reasons included:
- Forgot to replace the goblin placeholder icon (the image didn't belong to us)
- Forgot to turn off the fog of war which isn't tuned yet so it made the video look weird
- Part of the level was still showing whitebox, so we had to put a huge rock to hide it
- The video was shot at like 1pm in-game so the sun was so bright you couldn't see much at all. Had to spam short rest (didn't have enough food for long rest...) until we found better lighting (no way to "skip time" in the current build)
- Numerous crashes because development build :argh:
- Shitty RNG, so many dead adventurers while trying to record cool stuff

Are you going to replace those 3d portraits with drawings?

Rinslin Merwind

Erudite
Only the most generic skill class, the most generic martial class, the most generic divine and most generic arcane...

So, any class who don't fit your narrow class selection is generic class? Also how these classes can be "generic", considering that "four horsemen of D&D" such as Wizard, Rogue, Cleric and Fighter gave a foundation to all other classes that trying their hard to be "look at me, I am different and quirky". I have nothing against other classes, but let's not pretend that they "special" in some way.

IMO :
Barbarian > Fighter
Sorcerer > Wizard

Barbarians doesn't need expensive armors and sorcerers doesn't need expensive spellbooks. Both can spend their money on wine and woman like true chaotic guys.
Sorcerer is better than Wizard only in CRPG, where types of enemies you encounter always fixed in quantity and quality, so sorcerer player can cheese through game easier (game that was already easy, lol) + in some computer games it's preferable that main character was able to persuade (mosly because companions is dimwits or no skill share between members of party). Also, what kind of cheap ass would regret spending money on spellbooks? Pretty sure any wizard with chaotic alignment can spent money on wine and woman too, so this argument is invalid.

Telling that Barbarian is better than Fighter equal to comparison of waterfall to whirlpool - both are water, but fucking dangerous in their own ways. And again, "expensive armors" are normally not issue and even if for some reason you can't buy armor like true murderhobo - you can find it on corpse of enemy or treasure.

Obtaining armor for fighter/spellbook for wizard can be adventure on it's own and rewarding experience. I don't like play monk for this reason, feels like I play depressed emo vegan that don't need anything in this world and his only pleasure is to punch anyone who disagree with his ridiculous ideals. Fucking boring.

Rinslin Merwind

Erudite
^I was with you until you took a pot shot at monks. Not cool, man.
Sorry, I can't force myself to like this class. Sure there people who enjoy it, but unfortunately I not from these people. Usually, I trying not focusing on things that I don't like, but one particular individual showed so much love to monks on codex in pathfinder thread- it invoked not very good memories.

Elex

Arbiter
5e monks are good they suffer to find their place, fighter is the one with tons of attacks. Monk tend to be more about mobility and surgical strike.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
The problem with monk in D&D is that they don't fit in most contexts. Punching a well-armored knight with a tower shield doesn't seem reasonable. And it isn't, so that's why monks are Naruto-style elemental ninjas who fight with fists on fire. Which in practice isn't as awesome as it sounds. If we get an eastern setting, I'm all for monks, but otherwise eh.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
o, any class who don't fit your narrow class selection is generic class?

NO. My point is just that this 4 classes remembers me a lot of 4e essentials(a complete bs like the entire 4e) and they are used on adaptations since 80s. Why not use use new classes? And make your game more unique? I know that the final product will gonna have more classes.

Sorcerer is better than Wizard only in CRPG, where types of enemies you encounter always fixed in quantity and quality

I an not talking about raw power. I an talking about role play opportunities and cool factor. Sorcerers on 5e has his/her bloodline much more important than anything else. Imagine having a chromatic draconic bloodline. How it affect your character? It makes people scary of your character? How such creature got in contact with you ancestors? Do you like your powers or hate it? The society see you as a abomination? (...)

Prepared casters are stronger than spontaneous on TT but my point is not raw power.

Punching a well-armored knight with a tower shield doesn't seem reasonable.

Using a sword against a heavily armored knight also makes no sense. Maces and hammers are much better

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Using a sword against a heavily armored knight also makes no sense. Maces and hammers are much better
Uhm, yes, it does, you try to shiv the guy between the armor plates or in the hole in the helmet. Or just use general thrusting force to push them to the ground so you can more easily shiv them between the armor plates. I also said it's not reasonable, not that it doesn't make sense (which it doesn't as well). I mean it stretches the suspension of disbelief a little bit too much.

Codex Year of the Donut
I can only reiterate: fuck charisma-based casters. Charisma is dump stat, has always been and will always be. It was designed as a dump stat. Stop trying to make charisma happen.
Charisma-based classes usually end up being too good in crpgs. Charisma ends up controlling the most skill checks in a lot of d20-based games.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom