Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate The Baldur's Gate Series Thread

Krivol

Magister
Korgan, Edwin and Viconia are great party members and pretty much the best npcs in their respective roles
which makes an evil party also quite powerful.

Yeah, these NPCs all kick ass. The problem with playing an evil party though (as I've mentioned before) is the shop prices become ludicrous due to low reputation, and there is no game mechanic to compensate for that.

There is - infinite stealing :P

And why would you ever have money problem in BG2? You will fight final battle with 100k of gold anyway.

Evil party is just OP, and you can still stay with rep 17 without consequences.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
There is one consequence - party members will fail their morale checks more often.

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
how the fuck do you play BGII on max difficulty? even on normal settings my party gets wiped pretty frequently. though I still don't know how to handle spell casters properly in this game. chaos / confusion / fear destroys me everytime

Dude, you mean original game without all these SCS and such? It's easy-peasy. But with mods and addons its completely another deal.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
I liked the length of BG1. You play as some pissant nobody exploring the wildness and running away from bears and 90 hours later you come out of Durlag's Tower feeling like a fucking war veteran. And you are only level 7 or whereabouts! There will never be such a lengthy epic centered around low level D&D again, you gotta appreciate it for what it is.

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
TOTSC should've been a post-game expansion. Durlag's Tower is a fine dungeon and all, but it's so long that it takes the wind out of the main game's story.

Ninjerk

Arcane
I liked the length of BG1. You play as some pissant nobody exploring the wildness and running away from bears and 90 hours later you come out of Durlag's Tower feeling like a fucking war veteran. And you are only level 7 or whereabouts! There will never be such a lengthy epic centered around low level D&D again, you gotta appreciate it for what it is.
Robbing everyone in Beregost blind because I boosted my lockpicking just over 50 really made it feel like a low-level PnP session. If only Imoen was controlled by another player (or their own toon), it would feel even more like the real deal--forcing your buddies to wait while you endanger everyone with your greed by alerting guards to come kick your ass.

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
Korgan, Edwin and Viconia are great party members and pretty much the best npcs in their respective roles

Every time I start a BG2 run I think to myself "Lets try out some different NPCs for a change. That will liven things up!"

Every time I jump into hell Korgan, Edwin, and Viconia jump with me. True bros those three.

Stella Brando

Arcane
I'm in a weird mood, I feel like playing some Baldur's Gate, but I also don't feel like going through the huge story again.

Starting the Baldur's Gate series is like starting a long TV show. I kind of wish there more options to just screw around like in Bethesda games.

Maybe I'll just fire up BG1 and run around the countryside a bit. Or focus on getting to Dragonspear, I've never played it.

Last edited:

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
TOTSC should've been a post-game expansion. Durlag's Tower is a fine dungeon and all, but it's so long that it takes the wind out of the main game's story.

I know this is frowned on, but it always made sense to me to do it after the event of
the flaming fist hunting for you - even though they didn't outside of BG
as they wouldn't go into the dungeon or the isle. I always wished bioware had dropped your reputation to simulate that, or a modder did it.

I know I can do it myself, but I feel like retardo superman from the animated series - flipping the boulder down the hill on his make-believe scaled down town - and then acting suprised.

Stella Brando

Arcane
Maybe you guys are taking my post a little too seriously, judging by all the negative reactions.

I don't mean that I dislike Baldur's Gate or that I want it to be more like (god forbid) modern Bethesda. I just mean that starting up BG1 and taking my first step out of Winthrop's feels like a commitment - and like you boys, I'm afraid to commit. I know that if I roll up a character I like, I'll be in it for the long haul, sinking hundreds of hours into this thing, until I finally stand over the bleeding corpse of Irenicus (or before the throne of Bhaal). I just spent weeks watching the Office's nine seasons, and I don't start something like that without some trepidation. And it's not like it's a fresh new journey, I've walked it several times.

So that is why I feel split on the idea of beginning a Baldur's Gate game. I don't really even consider this 'complaining'. It's just an observation.

Bethesda games, for all the criticism they get, are easy to pick up and put down. Plenty of times, I've rolled up a character, sent her on her own little journey, and then stopped playing. That's one of the few advantages an Oblivion offers over a Baldur's Gate.

Thanks for reading this far. I hope that makes things clearer. God bless you, and the troops, and the mothers of the troops.

Still upset? Too bad bros, I was playing Baldur's Gate and Daggerfall when you were just an itch in Bhaal's bag of holding.

Last edited:

Salmacis

Novice
Had Imoen in my party for about an hour in BG1.
With this dubbing

The first time she came up to me, I tried to reload and run around the fountain, but I was too out of shape.

Dreed

Bremsstrahlunged
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Had Imoen in my party for about an hour in BG1.
With this dubbing

The first time she came up to me, I tried to reload and run around the fountain, but I was too out of shape.

Jaheira with the old peasant woman accent with rolled R was great as well:

Salmacis

Novice
Jaheira with the old peasant woman accent with rolled R was great as well:

I'd take a stuttering simpleton fighter with awful str rolls over the bossy wench in a heartbeat. To her credit, she underwent a miraculous speech therapy between BG1 and 2.
Alright enough of the baguette stuff, though the various localizations for BG1 must be a comedic goldmine.

YLD

Novice
I would never play Baldur's Gate in English because that kind of grotesque bullshit was half the charm. In a way the massive improvement in BG2 was almost a betrayal, though thankfully they reused voice bits and kept a fair amount of retardo one-liners for secondary characters.

pomenitul

Arbiter
True, but as a non-native I've only ever been exposed to standard French, the weirdest I've heard is Quebecois.

It's a self-conscious context, to be sure, but semi-rolled r's are still fairly common among French practitioners of the mélodie:

Just listen to her pronunciation of 'Revenons, rapportant des fraises' at the end of the first song, 'Villanelle'.

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I'm playing the original version of BG1 unmodded. I just picked up Khalid, Jaheira, Imoen and Viconia and cleared the area south of the friendly arm inn. I ran into x1 dire wolf, a dread wolf, a pack of 10 gibberlings and an assortment of smaller mobs that respawned properly (including bandits x3 to 4) after I retraced my steps, and after an appropriate amount of time.

That's the BG I remember.

Compare that to BGEE: I encountered 1 Xvart on that map. Just one. No respawning enemies at all. Then as I levelled up a bit, the enemies would respawn in between my scout and my party - as the grey fog of war appears outside of your character's line of sight radius. And if you rested, you would get mobbed by enemies that scaled to your level. So at level 5 I was getting mobbed by 10 dire wolves @ 650XP each.

So BGEE essentially ruined the exploration and difficulty curve of the game. As you could get more XP from 1 rest than several maps. And they made the maps boring, with hardly any enemies.

I suppose you could say that BGEE scaled the game to Beamdog's level. Maybe they've patched it somehow since, but I considered that to be a critical fail of the game.

Cael

Arcane
I'm playing the original version of BG1 unmodded. I just picked up Khalid, Jaheira, Imoen and Viconia and cleared the area south of the friendly arm inn. I ran into x1 dire wolf, a dread wolf, a pack of 10 gibberlings and an assortment of smaller mobs that respawned properly (including bandits x3 to 4) after I retraced my steps, and after an appropriate amount of time.

That's the BG I remember.

Compare that to BGEE: I encountered 1 Xvart on that map. Just one. No respawning enemies at all. Then as I levelled up a bit, the enemies would respawn in between my scout and my party - as the grey fog of war appears outside of your character's line of sight radius. And if you rested, you would get mobbed by enemies that scaled to your level. So at level 5 I was getting mobbed by 10 dire wolves @ 650XP each.

So BGEE essentially ruined the exploration and difficulty curve of the game. As you could get more XP from 1 rest than several maps. And they made the maps boring, with hardly any enemies.

I suppose you could say that BGEE scaled the game to Beamdog's level. Maybe they've patched it somehow since, but I considered that to be a critical fail of the game.
I recall walking around the Beregost temple area at night when I first played BG. Big mistake as a vampire wolf very quickly showed me... through the new asshole it tore in my crotch...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom