Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder Pathfinder: Kingmaker - Enhanced Plus Edition - now with turn-based combat

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
It's also a stage in the game where the rewards for mastering rest/travel/kingdom management are large. The Eastern Map can be explored in a week tops (preferably before Vordokai), which makes the question of exploration or Barbs moot. In any case it's all carrot as there is nothing mission critical there.

Likewise time mattering is a feature, not a bug. Just because other games suck doesn't mean P:K should suck too, but the opposite. It's about setting a standard. Expectations will change accordingly and for the better.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Fallout 1/2 had time limits. Mount & Blade too. If trolls are attacking your kingdom, be walking in other side of the world is not a good idea... Doesn't matter if you are talking about a RPG, a RTS, a PNP game, a novel or anything else.

I can only say "not all warnings in the game mean anything in actuality" and "warnings like this rarely mean anything at all in 99% of RPGs" so many times. Fallout's time limits were nothing like this and the comparison is desperate. Don't know or give a shit about RTS and PnP games, and am not playing one.

Only people left in this thread are super fans and you like/defend the timer shit. I get it, and that's fine. I'm not even super against it or anything. I merely don't like one long ass main quest chain putting me right into another long ass main quest chain, with no breather. It's a pacing issue more than anything, and not about the timers as a whole (just like my world map complaints are about the interface and not the mechanics). I guess you guys are twitchy after a year of "TIMERZ R STOOPID!" and I get that, but not everything is so simple as for/against.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Does anyone know what happens if you give the Old Wedding Ring to the woman's corpse in the south-west corner of Swamp Witch's Hut?

I already interacted with the corpse and I can no longer do the thing.

Gargaune

Magister
Does anyone know what happens if you give the Old Wedding Ring to the woman's corpse in the south-west corner of Swamp Witch's Hut?

I already interacted with the corpse and I can no longer do the thing.

You just get a slight alignment shift towards Good and a handful of XP, if I recall correctly. If you loot her corpse, you'll get a random encounter later on where a few wisps ambush you.

Dwarvophile

Liturgist
I'm seriously considering to shut my DOS 2 campaign for inventory management reasons and install this again but with the (cough) TB mod.

Desiderius

Patron
I'm seriously considering to shut my DOS 2 campaign for inventory management reasons and install this again but with the (cough) TB mod.

Been exactly there. DOS II is fun until you run out of new skills and into Gear glut.

Worth trying P:K with the autopauses all on (can turn off as needed) and all the mob/toon info showing "always" under the Difficulty menu. Again can turn off what you don't need.

Evidently the TB is flawless and can be toggled as needed.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
If you enjoy TB games, give the mod a try, it's amazing. Just remember to use 5-feet-steps to engage enemies in melee even if you are VERY close to them, otherwise you will miss a lot of full attacks.

I wanted to try the mod only during boss fights, but I am in the middle of chapter 2 and I still haven't turned it off once. It doesn't offer the full set of 3.x tactical options (for instance, you can't use the "ready" action), but it's great.

On an unrelated note: is there a reason not to go full-genocide on the lizardfolks at the lizardfolk village? I already completed the three subquests and saved the child and I don't remember any further involvement.

Pink Eye

Monk
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
If you enjoy TB games, give the mod a try, it's amazing. Just remember to use 5-feet-steps to engage enemies in melee even if you are VERY close to them, otherwise you will miss a lot of full attacks.

I wanted to try the mod only during boss fights, but I am in the middle of chapter 2 and I still haven't turned it off once. It doesn't offer the full set of 3.x tactical options (for instance, you can't use the "ready" action), but it's great.

On an unrelated note: is there a reason not to go full-genocide on the lizardfolks at the lizardfolk village? I already completed the three subquests and saved the child and I don't remember any further involvement.
>is there a reason not to go full-genocide on the lizardfolks at the lizardfolk village?
I don't remember there being any consequences for it. I don't see why you would genocide them though....

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron

>is there a reason not to go full-genocide on the lizardfolks at the lizardfolk village?
I don't remember there being any consequences for it. I don't see why you would genocide them though....
Because there is no place in my barony for those uncivilized beasts.

Also, 633 experience points. Levels don't grow on trees.

Desiderius

Patron

Same reason your favorite companion offed her family, I'd imagine. Same thing kobolds and mites and gobs and that other lizard tribe would do if they could get away with it. Better/more realistic design would have involved making getting away with it a good bit more challenging, akin to that other evil Lizard tribe you run into later.

Erebus

Arcane
Speaking of the lizardmen, what determines whether or not you can save the kid from Lord Glowy Skull ? Does it depend on how much time it took you to reach the village after receiving the quest ?

Erebus

Arcane
Wisps feed on fear and he's a scared kid. You need to do everything you can to stop him from being afraid.

That makes sense, I guess. The first two times I reached this point, I failed to save him. The third time, I did it, though it didn't feel like I was doing anything different. I guess there's a dialogue option I had previously neglected.

Nerevar

N'wah
Patron
Repressed Homosexual
Make the Codex Great Again! Pathfinder: Wrath
So do I need mirror image and uncanny dodge for a good "tanking" build?

Still thinking about my unfair playthrough. Also with vendor inject I can give myself the set of +5 destructive kukris if I want that way I'd save 3 feats from the shieldbash line of feats and one feat for exotic weapon.

Why can't Alchemist just have a potion of mirrior image?

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Speaking of the lizardmen, what determines whether or not you can save the kid from Lord Glowy Skull ? Does it depend on how much time it took you to reach the village after receiving the quest ?

Wisps feed on fear and he's a scared kid. You need to do everything you can to stop him from being afraid.
I didn't say anything to the kid and was able to save him just thanks to a successful Knowledge Arcana check followed by a Glitterdust.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Don't know or give a shit about RTS and PnP games, and am not playing one.

Only people left in this thread are super fans and you like/defend the timer shit.

People are too used to modern BS. I see no difference between a game jounralist "i can't kill a insect swarm with a fast swinging blade, so the game is bad" to "while trolls are attacking my city, i can't be doing nothing in other side of the world without any consequence"

On BG, rest scuming is encouraged. On this game, you are encouraged to win a encounter using less spell slots and hp as possible. If you are having little time to explore and invest in your barony, is because you wasted much time. Time matters in so few RPG's, i love to see it mattering in a modern game.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2

I didn't say anything to the kid and was able to save him just thanks to a successful Knowledge Arcana check followed by a Glitterdust.

I guess there may be a few ways. But there are also the things you can do around the village with the lizardmen for their fear, not sure if you did those.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron

I guess there may be a few ways. But there are also the things you can do around the village with the lizardmen for their fear, not sure if you did those.
Yes, I did the three tasks for the lizardmen, but I thought those served the purpose of removing some enemies from the last fight.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2

Yes, I did the three tasks for the lizardmen, but I thought those served the purpose of removing some enemies from the last fight.

Hm, not sure if this should be spoilered or not.

The lizardmen are all afraid and their fear makes the wisp stronger. Relieving fear in the lizardmen and the kid weaken it. The upshot is that if the wisp is still too strong from the fear, it blows up the kid before you can do anything. There was a rumour that the remove fear spell might help too, but I'm not sure if that was ever verified. Same deal with protection from electricity on the kid.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
People are too used to modern BS. I see no difference between a game jounralist "i can't kill a insect swarm with a fast swinging blade, so the game is bad" to "while trolls are attacking my city, i can't be doing nothing in other side of the world without any consequence"

"I'm gonna ignore all your points to rant about modern gamers even though the classics didn't have these mechanics either herp a derp."

Desiderius

Patron
The lizardmen are all afraid and their fear makes the wisp stronger. Relieving fear in the lizardmen and the kid weaken it. The upshot is that if the wisp is still too strong from the fear, it blows up the kid before you can do anything. There was a rumour that the remove fear spell might help too, but I'm not sure if that was ever verified. Same deal with protection from electricity on the kid.

I'd always done the Glitterdust to reveal him from the dialog menu (there may also be a Knowledge (Arcana) check in there to know who is possessing the boy). This last time the Wisp asked for the Bard at the beginning of the area, so I went and got him then chose not to sacrifice him, he calls out the Wisp, and the King dies trying to kill the Wisp and you get a bunch of EXP. I've always done the other three mini-quests in the village beforehand so not sure what effect those have. Just don't miss the Stealth Cloak in the swamps outside.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
fallout 1 had time limit.

One game, and it's not even the same thing at all.

Listen, like I said before... it's not even the time limit really, it's the pacing. I spent hours getting through the cyclops shit and even though I had like 50 days left on that counter the barbarian shit started immediately after. It feels tiring, like I'm being railroaded. If you want to deny that choosing what you want to do and when is a core part of classic RPGs then go ahead and deny it, but I know you're being silly. I'm a flexible dude though, I was okay with it for 70 hours and I've called the game incline like a dozen times, so I'm not hating on it. However railroading is annoying in an RPG, and everyone but the Kingmaker Defense Force knows it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom