Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

NWN Neverwinter Nights (NWN & NWN2) Modules Thread

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
Any cool classic module pnp conversions that you would recommend? I played a couple, but they were so so.
Only one I really liked was The Accursed Tower, set on Icewind Dale.

Some of the better PnP conversions:

C2 - The Ghost Tower of Inverness and S4 - The Lost Caverns of Tsojcanth, by SirOtus
N1 - Against the Cult of The Reptile God by Rich Barker
Uk2 - The Sentinel by heresiologist
S1 - Tomb of Horrors by Ghool

If you liked Accursed Tower, you could always try some of Udasu's other conversions.

Are these all hack&slash, or is there enough of a plot, quests, and expression/roleplay in them?

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Any cool classic module pnp conversions that you would recommend? I played a couple, but they were so so.
Only one I really liked was The Accursed Tower, set on Icewind Dale.

Some of the better PnP conversions:

C2 - The Ghost Tower of Inverness and S4 - The Lost Caverns of Tsojcanth, by SirOtus
N1 - Against the Cult of The Reptile God by Rich Barker
Uk2 - The Sentinel by heresiologist
S1 - Tomb of Horrors by Ghool

If you liked Accursed Tower, you could always try some of Udasu's other conversions.

Are these all hack&slash, or is there enough of a plot, quests, and expression/roleplay in them?
It's possible to completely avoid what little potential combat exists in S1 Tomb of Horrors, and this module has no plot, no quests, and no "expression". What the Tomb of Horrors does offer is excellent exploration, and it is one of the greatest RPG adventure modules of all time. +M

rogueknight333

Arbiter

That depends on what you would consider to be "enough." These modules tend to do a bit better than the average NWN module in terms of having things like a decent plot, well implemented side-quests and/or roleplay options but they are still for the most part predominantly hack & slash modules. I doubt I would recommend any of them to a dedicated storyfag. This is the norm for PnP conversions, since most of the "story" elements in such typically depend on a DM and thus do not translate well into a SP cRPG format.

rogueknight333

Arbiter
Good module for a Paladin/Cleric?

I cannot really think of anything in which a Paladin/Cleric would be dramatically more suitable than many other possibilities, but a character along those lines is recommended as a thematically appropriate class for the Return to Ravenloft module (and its sequel, Ravenloft - Beyond the Gate), as well as for the Aribeth's Redemption series.

If you just want to play a straight Paladin (the series does not really support multi-classing) then Rick Burton's Twilight and Midnight are good modules, but be warned that the intended third part of that series was never completed so it will end abruptly on a cliffhanger.

Gargaune

Magister
I got the most idiotic of urges to try and replay NWN 2 over the past couple of days but, fuck, I'd forgotten what a consummate and relentless shitshow Obisidian made of it. It's not the "camera" that's the problem, it's the party controls and AI. I sometimes get this behaviour where I pause combat, switch to a different character to do something, but when I resume the other characters rush towards the new party "leader" despite having Puppet Mode and Hold Ground in effect. How am I supposed to hold a front line when my fighters start shitting white flags the instant the sacred camera floats away from their heads?

So is there any way to make this fucking game any less of a cocksuck? And I don't mean mods like Tony's AI to make companions smarter, I mean the opposite - something to make those fucking assholes do nothing but what the fuck I click them to do. I mean, broken AI is a staple of any NWN platform, but at least Zarala in Swordflight has the decency to turn invisible and go sit quietly in a corner.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
You can make the camera really good, it just takes some screwing around. I though the original campaign was pretty boring though. Mask of the Betrayer expansion is decent though.

Riddler

Arcane
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
I've played the official campaigns a long time ago and even enjoyed the main one which everyone seems to hate. I've been feeling nostalgic lately though. Are there any good undead focused modules I should play? Maybe something with vampires?

Auren trilogy.

Gargaune

Magister
Ok, the penny finally dropped, when you mouse-over an unselected companion in NWN 2, the cursor actually changes into a little "go to" icon. Brilliant! 'Cause that's what the CRPG genre was missing, a "go to" button! Of course, you could just click on the ground next to motherfucker you want to go spoon, like in every other game since Dune Fucking II, but no, this is much better.

Now here's the rub - the Game Options has a setting under both Exploration and Strategy modes to "Take Control of Companion on Left Mouse Click." And I always had that enabled... And it works... But only if you've currently selected just one character! If you have more than one character selected, when you click on an unselected one it swaps and also applies the approach behaviour. Fantastic work. I think I'm safe if I only switch characters via portraits, will see.

You can make the camera really good, it just takes some screwing around. I though the original campaign was pretty boring though. Mask of the Betrayer expansion is decent though.
It most certainly is boring, but I've kept at it since I sort of remember the trial part being interesting. I've just managed to push through Act I and all that paint-by-numbers combat so I guess I'll soon see how much nostalgia is at play. My plan was to play some of the OC and then move onto MotB well immunised against this marvellous interface the game keeps throwing at me.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
I can't even remember it, I just remember it was kinda boring and also it seemed too easy because I just fireballed and ice stormed the hell out of everything and I didn't even have to worry about damaging my group because the friendly fire damage seemed really low and you can just rest after every fight. I guess I could have played at a higher difficulty but I figured that would just make it all more tedious. I played until I got my own castle and had to add some stuff to it, then I uninstalled, just got bored.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
rogueknight333 Anything you can tell us about the availability (and potency) of different weapons in Swordflight? Just so we could have an idea of a weapon to take WF/IC/WS/EWF/EWS in. Earlier you wrote something about weaker base weapons having significant magical bonuses in Swordflight; does that mean that, let's say, daggers or clubs in Swordflight are on par with scimitars and rapiers? Thank you.

Last edited:

rogueknight333

Arbiter
Anything you can tell us about the availability (and potency) of different weapons in Swordflight? Just so we could have an idea of a weapon to take WF/IC/WS/EWF/EWS in.

It is viable to specialize in any type of weapon, as powerful magical versions of all types are available from Ch. 2 on.

In Ch. 2 what weapon types one first finds good magical versions of depends on where you choose to explore first (much like in Baldur's Gate). Scimitars are a good choice at this stage of the game, both because they are inherently a good weapon under NWN rules and because I made magical versions fairly common in Calimshan for lore reasons. For the same lore reasons, longswords, the usual default weapon you can always find in most modules, are actually quite rare in Calimshan, though there is still one decent version to be found. Exotic Proficiency can also help since one will tend to find good exotic weapons earlier (though this is not guaranteed, it depends on exploration order). The walkthrough for Ch. 2 actually includes an appendix indicating where in the module one can go to find a magical weapon of any desired type. In Ch. 3 you will eventually obtain a powerful weapon whose type is determined by your feats and so guaranteed to fit with them, though equivalently powerful weapons of select types might be found earlier (especially, again, if exotic). In Ch. 4 powerful versions of all types will be available for sale in the stores.

Earlier you wrote something about weaker base weapons having significant magical bonuses in Swordflight; does that mean that, let's say, daggers or clubs in Swordflight are on par with scimitars and rapiers? Thank you.

No, scimitars/rapiers/kukris are still ultimately better, and in general the standard NWN hierarchy of optimal weapons would still more or less apply (though in Ch. 1 I did mess around a little by making the best available weapons there be of rare and sub-optimal types). I just did enough that if someone is absolutely determined to fight with a club, etc. for some role-playing reason or whatever, he will be able to get away with doing so.

Last edited:

rogueknight333

Arbiter
How does it work if you don't specialize in any weapons at all?

If you have no weapon specific feats, then the relevant script will just check what weapon proficiencies one has (and all classes in the game start with some sort of proficiency feat) and provide a weapon appropriate to those, with some randomness. For example, if you have Martial Weapon Proficiency (and do not have Exotic), you would be randomly given either a Battleaxe or a Warhammer (unless you also have the Weapon Finesse feat or are a halfling or gnome, in which case you would get a shortsword for that proficiency).

Since we are getting into the nitty-gritty details, perhaps I might also mention that the script runs through a list of weapon types and produces the first type where one has a matching feat, so if you have taken weapon specific feats for multiple weapons types, you might not get the type you most want.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath

If you have no weapon specific feats, then the relevant script will just check what weapon proficiencies one has (and all classes in the game start with some sort of proficiency feat) and provide a weapon appropriate to those, with some randomness. For example, if you have Martial Weapon Proficiency (and do not have Exotic), you would be randomly given either a Battleaxe or a Warhammer (unless you also have the Weapon Finesse feat or are a halfling or gnome, in which case you would get a shortsword for that proficiency).

Since we are getting into the nitty-gritty details, perhaps I might also mention that the script runs through a list of weapon types and produces the first type where one has a matching feat, so if you have taken weapon specific feats for multiple weapons types, you might not get the type you most want.

Still awaiting you to build a party based campaign in NVWN 2 :negative:

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Man, why? Just making a map takes ages.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath

Man, why? Just making a map takes ages.

Swordflight is a very good module, unfortunately, I prefer party-based games over single PC games with the exception of maybe Underrail. I just wish he will make a wonderful party based module for NVWN 2 :negative:

rogueknight333

Arbiter
Swordflight is a very good module, unfortunately, I prefer party-based games over single PC games with the exception of maybe Underrail. I just wish he will make a wonderful party based module for NVWN 2

I generally prefer party-based games myself (ironically enough, given the time I have invested in single-character based NWN). An NWN2 module from me is not happening though, that game has way too many issues. Maybe someday with some other party-based game, if I ever find one that is both good and easily moddable.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
It would be nice to see Swordflight or some other campaign by Rogueknight built on the UrWelt/Realms Beyond engine.

rogueknight333

Arbiter
Swordflight was designed around the specific capabilities of NWN, so if I were working with a different engine I would make a whole new campaign. Even small details of the game system can make a significant difference for how I would design something. In any case, I think I should really finish Swordflight first before looking into other possibilities very seriously. That is still years away so who know what the options will be by that time?

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Re: building principles

Do you guys generally prefer min-maxing or having a wider spread? For example,

STR 10 DEX 20 CON 12 INT 14 WIS 8 CHA 8

or

STR 12 DEX 18 CON 14 INT 14 WIS 10 CHA 8

Seeing how increasing attributes from 14 to 15/16 costs 2 points, and from 16 to 17/18 costs 3 points (in most cases), the former could be regarded as inefficient.

On an unrelated note: what are some core building staples in 3rd ED/NwN that you like to uphold?

- the rule of four (crucial for BAB progression)
- Str-based favors a low magic setting, Dex-based is better in high magic, lvl 20+ worlds
- Choose smite-proof alignment if you can
- Uncanny dodge is a must for melee fighters (for flat-footed)
- Best buffs: Imp. Invisibility / Stoneskin / Keen
- Low saving throws are VERY bad!! Generally keep an eye on your saves/AC/AB (if a fighting class)
- When multiclassing start with the class that has the most skill points (usually Rogue or Bard)
- Spellcraft gives a hidden bonus to SR
On an unrelated note: what are some core building staples in 3rd ED/NwN that you like to uphold?

- Max out the Tumble skill for a big AC boost, ideally by multi-classing to a class that has it as a class skill (assuming your primary class does not), but as a cross-class skill if necessary.
- On a related note, Skill dump. Unlike some other implementations of 3E, NWN allows you to save any and all skill points gained on level up to spend on a later level-up, so multi-class characters should save up skill points until taking a level in a class that has crucial skills as class skills. E.g., a Rogue/Fighter/Wizard could take no new skills on Fighter levels, Concentration and Spellcraft only on Wizard levels, and spend all the additional saved skill points when taking Rogue levels.
- Crit bonuses are usually by far the most important weapon stat
- Multi-classes are almost always better than single classes, but dedicated casters usually need a high number of levels in their core class to be effective, so keep multi-classing to a minimum with them (generally only a rare off-level for skill-dumping purposes or a special feat).

- Uncanny dodge is a must for melee fighters (for flat-footed)

Always a good feat to have, but I would not say it is essential unless a significant chunk of your AC comes from Dexterity. Evasion is also a nice feat to pick up if you can, protecting against spells, traps and possibly other effects.

- Low saving throws are VERY bad!! ....

This depends on the environment. In many high magic modules you can get items making you immune to just about anything you would save against, making boosts to saving throws redundant. Also, with Auto-fail on 1, boosts to saves will eventually reach a point of diminishing returns. Though obviously having good saves never hurts.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom