Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Epic Games Store - the console war comes to PC

Theodora

Arcane
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
What's the headline you're seeing? (Does PC Gamer even do regional headers?) "As anger over the Epic Store subsides, what's next?" doesn't read the same as 'Epic won the war'.

The war of relevance, the war of making Steam not the only game in town, etc. etc. I wasn't saying Epic is bigger than Steam, that would be insane. I was saying the article is the opening round of capitulation to "welp we've got two of them now." I also said I'm not sure I agree, as Epic's released numbers seemed weak and Bethesda and EA are running back to Steam.

I get what you're saying, but equating something shit with Steam isn't saying it's better than it + beating it (which is how 'won the war' reads). It's silly, but it's not the same. And to be plain, Steam has plenty of woes; I'd probably keep most of my library on GOG if it had come around earlier.

Steam's greatest asset is that we're all already there (how many of you have friends on GOG Galaxy?), and as a result near everything is made with Steam in mind (plenty of games on GOG don't have achievements despite porting them from Steam to GOG probably being something an intern could do in an hour).

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Steam's greatest asset is that we're all already there (how many of you have friends on GOG Galaxy?), and as a result near everything is made with Steam in mind (plenty of games on GOG don't have achievements despite porting them from Steam to GOG probably being something an intern could do in an hour).

It amazes me that supposedly 80% or whatever of GOG's customer base uses Galaxy. I'd think if you wanted the client experience you'd just get shit on Steam. Obviously I don't know anything, but I like pretending I do on the internet.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
I use Galaxy because I'm, too lazy to use the installers.

Friends? What's that?

Maybe Discord makes the Steam friends list less important these days. I see youngins hanging out in the Discord of their favorite streamer / YouTuber to chat with friends or they have their own channels. Many of the games they play (Fortnite, Overwatch) aren't on Steam anyway.

Theodora

Arcane
Patron
Glory to Ukraine

It amazes me that supposedly 80% or whatever of GOG's customer base uses Galaxy. I'd think if you wanted the client experience you'd just get shit on Steam. Obviously I don't know anything, but I like pretending I do on the internet.

2.0 is a huge improvement over the original GOG client, and honestly it does as good a job as anyone could ask at amalgamating several storefronts/libraries (and even PSN and XBL to an extent, if that's your thing). I don't really use it like that, but I can easily see others doing so. But on a much more basic level it's just way less effort to install/uninstall things through a client.

Anyway, I do primarily get things through Steam, but not everything is available through Valve's store — hell, that is GOG's original marketshare. And if you want to know how much time you're spending playing whatever you own on GOG, using their client is the path of least resistence until Steam stops treating the games you buy elsewhere as second-class.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
2.0 is a huge improvement over the original GOG client, and honestly it does as good a job as anyone could ask at amalgamating several storefronts/libraries (and even PSN and XBL to an extent, if that's your thing). I don't really use it like that, but I can easily see others doing so. But on a much more basic level it's just way less effort to install/uninstall things through a client.

Sure, but the whole reason I buy everything I can on GOG is to avoid using a client.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
The gaming industry deserves better. LMAO. No, it doesn't. That's exactly what pussy faggot developer and publisher cocksucking "gamers" deserve.
And all these screaming for "better" will go and pre-order every AAA game because hey, it seems "not letting them get away with it" means just screaming like a faggot on reddit not actually doing anything.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.epicgames.com/store/en-US/news/wishlists-are-here

Wishlists are here!

Hey all,

We just added the first version of Wishlists to the Epic Games Store!

How do I wishlist a game?

When you’re logged in to your Epic Games account visit any game’s product page on the Epic Games Store on the web or through the Epic Games Launcher. Select the “Add to Wishlist” button, found here:
Diesel%2Fblog%2Fwishlists-are-here%2FWishlist-PDP-Option3-0ebca3b21a2df857f9abf748f20da9df12cf7ff4.gif

What can I do with wishlists?

You can track the games you're interested in for future purchase or discounts, all on one handy page!
Diesel%2Fblog%2Fwishlists-are-here%2FWishlist-View-1355x493-0020e192ac7d8515f7af902178557800e0984c1c.jpg

To start, we'll be adding filtering and smart searching of items you've added to your wishlist. In future iterations, we plan to add email notifications when your wishlisted titles are discounted, or change status (such as a launch, or becoming available for pre-purchase).

How do I view my wishlist?

You can access your wishlist online by signing in to your Epic Games account and heading over to https://www.epicgames.com/store/wishlist. On the launcher, you can find it here:
Diesel%2Fblog%2Fwishlists-are-here%2FWishlist_Launcher-01-6ab811cc8b3f84014516395543e20a1324f3c0b3.gif

We’re already planning some improvements for future iterations, but can always use your feedback. Try it out and let us know your thoughts on our social channels!

Alphons

Cipher
Hey there fellow Epic gamers. I believe we can make a positive change if we wishlist a MOTHERFUCKING SHOPPING CART.

Wunderbar

Arcane
Gabe Newell said:
We get a lot more freaked out not by competition, but by people trying to preclude competition. If you ask us which is scarier, it's people falling in love with Apple's model of controlling everything and having faceless bureaucrats who get to keep your product from entering the market if they don't want it to, or designing a store in a way that minimizes software's value-add to experience and stuff like that

Silly Germans

And the Epic cucks would somehow finds a way to twist that wording to create a narrative that Steam is monopoly and has 'exclusives' :lol:
A rhetorical question,
where can i get legal copies of Half-Life 2, Portal and Left for Dead that work without the Steam Client ?

Perkel

Arcane
And the Epic cucks would somehow finds a way to twist that wording to create a narrative that Steam is monopoly and has 'exclusives' :lol:

What is the difference between Steam and Epic exclusives to end consumer ? None.

Steam gets exclusives because it is the biggest shop and devs simply don't consider releasing anywhere else which can actually increase costs and divide fanbase.

Epic just pays for those.

In both cases devs make those deals because they earn money. If Steam was not so huge no one would care about releaseing their games there and Steam would have to pay to get "exclusives"

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom