Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Best blobbers of the last decade

Which modern blobbers have you enjoyed the most?

• [TB] Descend (2011)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • [TB] Silversword (2011)

• [TB] Dark Delve (2011)

• [JAP] Class of Heroes 2 (2013)

• [TB] Coldfire Keep (2014)

• [TB] The Legend of Candlewind: Nights & Candles (2015)

• [JAP] MeiQ: Labyrinth of Death (2015/2016)

• [RT] The Deep Paths: Labyrinth Of Andokost (2016)

• [JAP] Ray Gigant (2016)

• [JAP] Town of Night (2016)

• [JAP] Mary Skelter: Nightmares (2016/2017)

• [JAP] Demon Gaze 2 (2016/2017)

• [RT] Haunted Dungeons: Hyakki Castle (2017)

• [JAP] The Lost Child (2017/2018)

• [RT] Arakion: Book One (2018)

• [RT] Moonshades: a dungeon crawler RPG (2019)

• [TB] Heroes of a Broken Land 2 (2019)

• Total voters

Bruma Hobo

Lurker
Let's vote for the best blobbers of the 10's folks.

This poll is about pure blobbers, and no hybrids are allowed. This means that all games must have first person blob exploration, and first person blob combat (this excludes games like Lords of Xulima or Realms of Arkania HD), and must have proper parties, which means single character games like Vaporum and Geisterschiff are out, sorry.

Blobbers from all over the world are allowed, which means there will be some decadent loli JRPGs next to more monocled games. BUT there must exist an official English release of a game to qualify.

Lemming42

Arcane
Grimrock is awesome, would be even better if it were turn-based which it clearly should have been. I've not played many of the others but I had a lot of fun with Might & Magic X, it overstayed its welcome though.

V_K

Arcane
It's not like there's a lot of competition. It's either Grimroire or Grimrock (II), depending on how deep your hatred of the 2-step dancing is. Unless you have OCD and too much free time, then it's Elminage.
Also, a few of the games on the voting list (Arakion, Dungeon Kingdom, maybe some others) are (very) early access and haven't been released yet.

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
I enjoyed the ones I've played.
Swords and Sorcery is a cool fast paced Might&Magic clone, big fully connected open dungeons are the best.
I like good blobber combat and Paper Sorcerer fits this bill perfectly.
Legend of Grimrock is OK, you play these real-time games for environment puzzles and high level of interactivity so it hits the right spot, second one is much better though' with better puzzles and openness adds to the game since you can get lost without being sure where you've missed something but also at the opposite you can explore somewhere else instead of waiting stuck in front of a closed door.
Elminage Gothic has some cool dungeons and the devs are very skilled when it comes to balancing the combat part in a game which is very non-linear and gives a lot of options to the player.
I only spent some hours on Frayed Knights but my impressions were that it was very fun with good combat and especially many spells to unlock.
In no way a best game material but since it's not in the list I guess I can mention Festivus because despite being free, being a christmas game and something like that, and only appearing in the middle of 1,000,000 other games in the Slime Salad forums, it's actually a full fletched game. It is sort of casual though', combat is very easy, but level design is alright provided you like one-way doors, holes, ... and combat and equipment management are not all bad, for example basic attacks make no damage, also the spells available to a character depends on equipment.

I own Grimoire and Legend of Amberland and I'm sure I'll enjoy both, I'm also sure I'd enjoy Might&Magic X as well but I won't bother playing it unless I've got nothing at all to play or a DRM-free version is available.

Last edited:

thesecret1

Arcane
Enjoyed Labyrinth of Refrain quite a bit – it was a good mix of story and combat with good mechanics, albeit it could be a touch grindy at times.

Ysaye

Arbiter
Best blobbers of the last decade

Blobbers of the last decade which Codexers have actually played

Fair point - I will admit of the ones I didn't vote for, I have only played the following:
  • Might and Magic X - Good game, I liked the maps, would have liked six party members ala Xeen, also the game had some broken mechanics in it and was very short.
  • Legend of Grimrock - okay game, not as good as I had hoped though.
  • Legend of Grimrock 2 - better game than Legend of Grimrock - some good maps and the open island was a nice touch. Also the classes and mechanics felt better this time round.
  • The Fall of the Dungeon Guardians - Wasn't taken by it, Legend of Grimrock was better although some of the production values felt higher in this game.
  • Coldfire Keep - I didn't play for that long and felt this was very bland, worse than Fall of the Dungeon Guardians. Play Grimrock 2.
  • Etrian Odyssey 4 - Good game - I liked the mixture of classes and some of the maps were really good, almost voted for it.
  • Etrian Odyssey 5 - Don't know but just found this really disappointing.
  • Operation Abyss - I liked this game, dungeon design was good (although I know some people hated) and the classes felt more balanced here than any of the other experience games.
  • Operation Babel - I liked this less than Abyss, dungeon design was weaker I thought....
  • Stranger of Sword City - Good game, I loved some of the interlinking dungeons but didn't like the NPC interactions that much (who plays a blobber for those? And why is there a quest to find a dead girl's panties?), also the Ambush mechanic is painful. Also the new class change mechanic I didn't like. Also Samurais feel overpowered in experience inc. games.
  • Bards Tale 4 - I actually liked the new mechanic, but this felt too linear for me, also the graphics in places were bad (even though the production values on this were higher than a lot of other games).
  • Legend of Amberland - Good game, closest thing in recently memory to old M&M games (including M&M X).
  • Wizardry Labyrinth of the Lost Souls - okay game, nothing really too bad (although why have fixed portraits that portray distinct classes when class change is a key component? on the other hand BOOBS!) but nothing stellar either. Nothing on Elminage Gothic.
Yes I will play Grimoire at some point; I do feel however that some of what people see in this game comes from a blind passion/prejudice towards of Wizardry 7 (and maybe a prejudice against anything not this), which is fine, but that is not necessarily what I am looking for in a blobber.

I have heard Labyrinth of Refrain is really good and may play that. Was also thinking of playing Lost Child but some of the Codexers have confirmed things about this that I thought would put me off it, so now unlikely to pick that up.

Also shouldn't Das Geisterschiff get a gurnsey in this list? It is better than many of the games listed here IMO.

3tju7r.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom