Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Best blobbers of the last decade

Which modern blobbers have you enjoyed the most?

• [TB] Descend (2011)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • [TB] Silversword (2011)

• [TB] Dark Delve (2011)

• [JAP] Class of Heroes 2 (2013)

• [TB] Coldfire Keep (2014)

• [TB] The Legend of Candlewind: Nights & Candles (2015)

• [JAP] MeiQ: Labyrinth of Death (2015/2016)

• [RT] The Deep Paths: Labyrinth Of Andokost (2016)

• [JAP] Ray Gigant (2016)

• [JAP] Town of Night (2016)

• [JAP] Mary Skelter: Nightmares (2016/2017)

• [JAP] Demon Gaze 2 (2016/2017)

• [RT] Haunted Dungeons: Hyakki Castle (2017)

• [JAP] The Lost Child (2017/2018)

• [RT] Arakion: Book One (2018)

• [RT] Moonshades: a dungeon crawler RPG (2019)

• [TB] Heroes of a Broken Land 2 (2019)

• Total voters
How can Elminage:Gothic which is p. much a competent and fun spiritual successor to the Wizardry series, have less votes than Grimrock a fuckign dancing simulator.

Shamefur.

aweigh

I appreciate the sentiment but I don't participate in GRPG threads about blobbers.
Yeah bro, seems like true blobber lovers have to meet up in JRPG.

V_K

Arcane
There should have been two voting options for Grimoire - one for people who actually played the game, the other for those who are in it for the memes.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Xulima should've been in. Third person blobber is still a blobber. Plus a top notch game.

Props for the poll tho. Didn't even know there are so many blobbers.

Is Grimrock really that good ? i saw a gameplay video on youtube and the real time combat looks super retarded,the guy was like: hit and kite,hit and kite....

see what i'm talking about ?

Brozef

Savant
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Grimoire is so far above the rest that there really is no competition.
Otherwise the only one I really enjoyed and keep coming back to us MMX. Even with all of the compromises and missed opportunities i somehow ended up loving it way more than I initially thought possible. I think a big part is that some of the environments just really clicked for me. I really enjoyed walking around some of the cities (karthal and the crag especially) and even some of the tiny dungeons were somehow very comfy (like the underground seas, or the tomb city).

Star Crawlers deserves a mention in my book for being a decent effort at a sci-fi bobber. but it just peters out after a while. The classes and mechanics are to gimmicky to hold interest. And then there is unity which somehow has the power to turn all assets into plastic boredom incarnate.

I still can't stand the Grimrock games, but then I dislike almost all RT blobbers. So I want particularly suprised.

From the jap bobbers I only tried strangers in Sword city, the abyss games, eliminate and Sakura dungeon. But in the end they always seem a bit too autistic for my taste and I always get bored two to ten hours in and just feel like they are not worth spending any more time in. So Sakura Dungeon is the clear winner here.

Excited to see that there are done decent sounding bobbers I missed. Hope there will be some more reviews in the replies so I know what to play during the great wuflu quarantine

Last edited:

Bruma Hobo

Lurker
Also, a few of the games on the voting list (Arakion, Dungeon Kingdom, maybe some others) are (very) early access and haven't been released yet.
You're right, I have been fooled by this list, which is excellent but unfortunately mixes early access release dates with the actual releases. Another game on EA right now is Heroes of a Broken Land 2.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
How can Elminage:Gothic have less votes than Grimrock

Maybe because it looks like this?

3b01b8847975805aedff98a14e424929adf1003ae57dfd33b4b44815e58c8f92_product_card_v2_mobile_slider_639.jpg

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Most if not all of those are more of the dungeon crawler than a true blobber. Tho it depends on what you see as a blobber. I gave it to the operencia,it is a good and fresh games,tired of all the go in to 20 level dungeon and kill the same shit.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
Most if not all of those are more of the dungeon crawler than a true blobber. Tho it depends on what you see as a blobber. I gave it to the operencia,it is a good and fresh games,tired of all the go in to 20 level dungeon and kill the same shit.

Dungeon Crawler and Blobber is synonymous in most cases.

Codex Year of the Donut

Some of the most notable dungeon crawlers aren't blobbers.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron

I usually only call grid-based games of the Wizardry/Dungeon Master-mold dungeon crawlers. Technically other stuff fits as well, like Ultima Underworld and similar games, many roguelikes, but I don't call those dungeon crawlers. It would be pointless to argue over this point anyway, as dungeon crawler doesn't have a common understood and even less clear definition than, say metroidvania, roguelikes or RPGs in general. And we know how often people like to discuss the finer points of those

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

I usually only call grid-based games of the Wizardry/Dungeon Master-mold dungeon crawlers. Technically other stuff fits as well, like Ultima Underworld and similar games, many roguelikes, but I don't call those dungeon crawlers. It would be pointless to argue over this point anyway, as dungeon crawler doesn't have a common understood and even less clear definition than, say metroidvania, roguelikes or RPGs in general. And we know how often people like to discuss the finer points of those
Blobber is when you have a first person party,some dungeon crawlers have a single character. Tho i associate blobbers mainly with games like might and magic and wizardry.

How can Elminage:Gothic have less votes than Grimrock

Maybe because it looks like this?

3b01b8847975805aedff98a14e424929adf1003ae57dfd33b4b44815e58c8f92_product_card_v2_mobile_slider_639.jpg

Remember:

Don't judge a book by its cover.

In this case:

Don't judge a game by its art-style.

Aren't blobbers fans supposed to be gameplay fags ? then, why they're complaining about the anime art-style ?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom