Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Top-down Ultima IV-like RPG with tiles?

Griantor

Literate
Greetings to all the dwellers.

I know that there is none now and will never be in the future an RPG like Ultima IV but still I seek something similar at least in presentation: top-down, tile-based, with lots of exploration and vast wastelands between towns.

There's Bludgeons & Krakens (https://cannibalcat.itch.io/bnk), maybe the savants could advice some more?

Thanks in advance.

Griantor

Literate
Skald looks fantastic. Thanks for a tip. Hope it will result in something.

And Epikos looks really cool. It's a pity it seems really disappeared.

newtmonkey

Arcane
Both old games:

Demon's Winter

Highly recommended top-down tile-based RPG with tactical combat (best described as "light Gold Box AD&D").

Deathlord

Best game to play while in isolation? Ultima-like exploration with Wizardry-like combat and permadeath in a massive world. This is available on C64 and Apple II, just make sure to use unhacked disks because the hacked versions are buggy/don't work.

Bruma Hobo

Lurker
I know this will sound silly for most of you.... But Expeditions: Conquistador scratches my Ultima itch better than most tile-based retro games.

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
There are Lurking and its sequel.

Another one which was released a few years ago was Epikos, but it seems the game has vanished from the internet.

The Lurking series seems amazing.
It is if you like games which don't hold your hand, exploring open worlds, keyboard-based dialogs and taking pages of notes, the games also let you create your own party. Each game is about 50 hour long.

Griantor

Literate
Yes, I do know Demon's Winter, it's one of my favorite old CRPGs. It's closer to Gold Box than to Ultimas though.

Also I often hear and read many good words about The Magic Candle series but still haven't tried it alas.

newtmonkey

Arcane
Looks cool to the degree of Ultima plagiarism...;)

It's a pity I'm allergic to almost everything Japanese:P

If it's any consolation, the Japanese stuff is only the names of classes, etc. The game was designed with a Viking theme, but the publisher forced the designer to switch it to a Japanese setting at the last moment.

mondblut

Arcane
Exile, duh.

And Nahlakh and Natuk.

And pretty much any shareware RPG from before 1995. Compuserve was full of that shovelware back in the day.

Griantor

Literate
So we'll have to wait till he loses his new job or decides to make Epikos free:)

V_K

Arcane
Apart from already mentioned:

Dark Disciples 1&2 are top-down and have some of the best exploration ever, with lots of puzzles, secrets and alternative routes.
dark-disciples-2_1.gif
dark-disciples-2_3.gif

Aleshar: World of Ice is the epitome of "lots of exploration and vast wastelands between towns", even though its perspective is somewhat different and it's much heavier on survival than Ultima.

WarWizard is kinda Ultima meets Goldbox, and the overworld is huge, with several kingdoms to explore.

The two Excelsior games aren't terribly great, but they can scratch that Ultima itch.

Enchantasy: Quest for the Eternal Grimoire is kinda Ultima meets JRPG - you have free exploration and keyword-hunting but with a party of premade characters.

Griantor

Literate
Thanks for all the tips.

And what do the savants think about Eschalon games? Its screenshots look somewhat decent.

Griantor

Literate
Or ask someone who already has it to upload it for you

I don't think it would be fair, to ask someone who paid for a game. If someone already wanted to share it, that one would already have done it via torrents or something.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom