Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Obsidian General Discussion Thread

TT1

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
He is a moron. We can actually see the reflection in the glass. Where are our photoshop experts?

Unwanted

Sweeper

Unwanted
Zionist Agent
Pillars of Eternity was the first mistake.
But where it all went completely wrong was the decision to pursue a Pillars of Eternity sequel instead of Tyranny 2, the obviously vastly superior CRPG.
quSZcbe.jpg
On the upside, I'll have a lot of fun hating on whatever shitpile Obsidian decides to grace us with next.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
But where it all went completely wrong was the decision to pursue a Pillars of Eternity sequel instead of Tyranny 2, the obviously vastly superior CRPG.
quSZcbe.jpg
On the upside, I'll have a lot of fun hating on whatever shitpile Obsidian decides to grace us with next.

Tyranny has the virtue of being Bronze Age-themed, which was cool.

Was never really an option because they don't own the IP, though, and relations with Paradox broke down.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
wait it's true for the last two? i thought it was very small team for Grounded and the rest all hands on deck for the Parker project

Boyarsky and Cain aren't directing Parkerrim. It's assumed they're still directing their own project, the most logical choice being TOW 2.

So is Obsidian just going to make FPS RPG's now or what?

Sawyer Elysium will be a walking sim. But yeah, looking at what inXile is making as well, it appears that party-based RPGs with a budget of more than a million are now Owlcat and Larian exclusives (though HBS may be a dark horse with their potential White Wolf game).

Last edited:

vortex

Fabulous Optimist
Sawyer Elysium will be a walking sim. But yeah, looking at what inXile is making as well, it appears that party-based RPGs with a budget of more than a million are now Owlcat and Larian exclusives (though HBS may be a dark horse with their potential White Wolf game).
I refuse to believe that. He likes Hitman so maybe Sawyer Elysium is about social stealth or even better like Dishonored.

Codex Year of the Donut
quSZcbe.jpg
They didn't even finish the first Tyranny game

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
I refuse to believe that. He likes Hitman so maybe Sawyer Elysium is about social stealth or even better like Dishonored.
There is more than one hitman games :lol:

Jedi Exile

Arcanum
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I wonder what is their next game after Outer Worlds. Are they working on something?
Grounded, Parkerrim, Sawyer Elysium, Outer Worlds 2.

Lol, I forgot about Grounded. Parkerrim - I guess it is a Skyrim clone directed by Parker. Most likely, will be cancelled if not already. Outer Worlds 2 sold well, so there is a chance the sequel is in the works. Sawyer's adventure game is a mystery to me.

Quillon

Arcane
Sawyer's adventure game is a mystery to me.

From what he said about it("non-violent"), its not his dream historical game and it seems very idiotic to me that he was able to convince people to make an obscure/experimental game but not to make his dream game which he said would be small budget.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
From what he said about it("non-violent"), its not his dream historical game and it seems very idiotic to me that he was able to convince people to make an obscure/experimental game but not to make his dream game which he said would be small budget.
Sawyer got so burned by Deadfire's failure and his inability to understand why it failed that he's convinced he's unsuited to making party-based RPGs.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I don't know what Sawyer's dream historical game is, but I don't see why his non-violent game couldn't also be historical.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I don't know what Sawyer's dream historical game is, but I don't see why his non-violent game couldn't also be historical.
Turn-based Darklands. Though as I've said, this is possibly his St. George game.

Flou

Arbiter
Sawyer got so burned by Deadfire's failure and his inability to understand why it failed that he's convinced he's unsuited to making party-based RPGs.

Didn't Battle Brothers kinda fill that void already? So why make a game that would be compared to Battle Brothers, rather than making something hasn't been done?

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Didn't Battle Brothers kinda fill that void already? So why make a game that would be compared to Battle Brothers, rather than making something hasn't been done?
Battle Brothers does not come across to me like a Darklands clone. It's a series of battles, isn't it?

Ninjerk

Arcane
Battle Brothers does not come across to me like a Darklands clone. It's a series of battles, isn't it?
I haven't played it since all there was to do was run around the map and fight until undead hordes start showing up and raping everything, but it isn't anything like Darklands and Sawyer would weep deeply and gnash his teeth for the noobs if it's still as hard as it was when I played it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom