Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

DOOM Eternal - the sequel to the 2016 reboot - now with The Ancient Gods DLC

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
They always have dude. Obviously there haven't been that many memorable milestones since Doom 3 (id tech 4 was one of the earliest games to implement physics, complex shadows etc - very impressive at the time ) But idSoft has always had the option to really push top tier hardware on PC at the time of a release, they kind of took pride in making sure their engine looked bleeding edge.
Their tech is simply amazing. I'm sure RTX and other goodies are coming.

I'm also sure ...

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
I just played Doom Eternal. What a putrid mess.

When Doom 1/2 came out, Carmack And Co were focusing on realism. They wanted you to feel IMMERSED.

I run this game, and everything looks like there's a gamey "we're in the Matrix Neo" overlay on it. "I'm a gamey game which likes to game, also you're in a game, game guy!"

Weapons feel like shit. Killing enemies feels like shit. Music is shit. Levels are created for visuals, not with maze logistics in mind. The game half-plays itself and chainsaws monsters by itself. There's no RUN button, you're walking everywhere, apparently. This is considered FAST in 2020.

Fuck this game and fuck id.

Curratum

Oh, my! So it gets WORSE later on. You literally have a shitty checklist of things to do when playing if you want to keep your ammo and armor topped up.

Who in the actual fuck thought this would be fun? Fuck you, Tim Willits and fuck you, Hugo Martin.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
Finally got to play this today, on Nigthmare. Quick thoughts:

Either the engine is pretty good or the game has a fantastic optimization (maybe both) has I can run it with max settings with an average of 120fps (I have a mid-range desktop). Plus now that they ditched the megatextures game occupies far less than D16.

The ammo capacity has indeed been considerably lowered, but specifically for the shotgun. In the first level I ran out of ammo very fast, which forced me to chainsaw someone/look for ammo constantly and that pissed me the fuck off. But again it's mostly the shotgun. Once I got the first ammo upgrade the machingun had a confortable amount and once I found the plasma rifle the game never once again had that problem that kept fucking up the flow of the battles. By the 2nd ammo upgrade the shotgun actually lasts.

I've reached the super shotgun and stopped playing after the first arena with it. The weapons so far are an improvement (for the most part).
The shotgun has a smaller range than D16, but the weapon mods make up for it, and while the way the enemy's weakness are set-up it favors much more the grenade attachment but the auto shotgun is super fun to use.
The plasma rifle seems to have been the weapon that got the best overall, in this game I actually enjoy using it. It does a good amount of damage, it's attachments are better than ever and it just looks and feels great to use. It's super useful to sweep the levels.
The rocket launcher is the same.
The Super Shotgun also has a smaller reach and spread but it's damage seems sigthly higher than the base super shotgun of D16 but much lower than the uranium coating upgrade. The meathook is pretty fun to use and allows for cool movement.
The machine gun however... the upgrades are the same but now the scope is actually useful because of the weakspots. But the weapon itself is worse than it's previous iteration. It does poor damage and the it's new sound fx is equally weak and embarassing.
The chainsaw can be used from a ridicolous distance. Seriously you can instantly cut down an enemy that's around 10 meters away. Plus now it auto refeals 1 bar, it's obvious why they did this, it's because the enemy count is much higher than D16.
The flamethower is more useful than it first seems but I keep forgetting to use it. Being able to throw a grenade without having to stop shooting is useful and so is the ice grenade.
The melee attacks now does no damage unless it's a blood punch. That's a stupid modification.

I am pleased with the challenge Nigthmare offers.
The enemies are more agressive than ever and now even the zombies can be a problem, given that now they carry flamethowers and plasma rifles.
I feared the enemy weakspots would make the combat too mechanical, but so far that doesn't seem to be the case. It's a neat mechanic, the only enemy I would say the failed are the Cacodemons, it's too easy to pull of and the "reward" is massive (immediately becomes staggered). They should made the conditions more difficult to pull off (for example: he can only swallow a grenade during attack animations; or you have to deal X damage to the eye) plus made the payoff not as broken (the cocademon can no longer use the fireballs).
The levels are IMO pretty chunky, considering I am half-way the 3rd level after playing the game for the afternoon.
There's actual optional content in them, and I've seem some challenges that I am sure where designed with a late game arsenal in mind, so they much more replayable than D16.
Also I am quite liking the location variety and how much more fun the arenas are.
There was an encounter on the second level, near a giant mech slaying a demon, that had 3 arachnatrons, and boy has that though.
I noticed some invisble walls specially on the 2nd level, where I could spot some areas of the level below my current but the game would "kill me" if I tried to jump. This is obviously artificial and hurts exploration and speedrunning.
The game has faster pace than D16, since there's more enemies, they are more mobile and agressive, the player has more movement related abilities and the movement speed seems sightly higher.

Well it's being more fun than the best levels of D16, so I'll see how the game progresses.

Last edited:
Vatnik Wumao
7DKeeR9.png

Silentstorm

Learned
But is the plot good at least ?
Meh, Doom Slayer now has a ship he got from somewhere, either Vega called it in or it was in wherever Samuel Hayden left Doom Slayer at, and said ship happens to let him teleport, so now he's after three priests who are behind the demons, he kills one of them fast, turns out they were sentinels before, you talk to a ghost king who calls you off for killing a priest summoning demons, you find that the Sentinels worked for these aliens that are basically techno aliens but not really called Maykrs who are also behind the priests, you track down another who has started a cult, you find that the Super Shotgun from the old games is a relic being hidden away by the demons rather than destroyed for some reason, you take control of a demon to get it, kill that priest, the Maykrs take the last priest away.

And then you decide to go meet your old pal Samuel Hayden who was wrecked in a fight before, so you just put his mind into your ship so he can try helping you find where the last priest is, you also pick up a demon sword, you go to the world of the Sentinels, find a relic that will help you track down the priest while learning that the demon sword is the only thing that can bring demon Kaijus down, you do learn there is a relic on Mars you need so you invade an UAC base where everyone is scared shitless of you, you activate a big cannon upon Mars, go there and kill some demons, you go to the Maykr's world, kill the priest and they trap you on your ship while disabling your teleporter, so you power the ship with your demonic sword and carry on, you go back, learn that they made a pact with demons to give them worlds in trade of energy, blast them away until you interrupt a ritual breaking their pact leading the demons to attack the Maykr world, just before you go their leader tries to kill you and summons the Icon Of Sin out of spite, if her race dies, so will yours, you go to Earth, you blast the crap out of the Icon Of Sin, stick a big demonic sword on it's head and then you just leave.

Oh, and you learn that Doom Slayer absolutely is Doomguy, and Vega is left behind on the world of the Maykrs as a sacrifice to open a portal to Earth, also, Samuel Hayden knows a lot more about relics, the Sentinels and the Maykr than he should, oh, and some random Maykr rebel was the guy that gave Doomguy a new armor, apparently to specifically screw over his race, that one only appears on a flashback and we don't see his face, but the theory seems to be that it's Samuel Hayden...despite there being evidence of his story as a human being and what led to him picking a robotic body, just to explain how the fuck the guy knows so much now.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
this comment said:
I am so cultured and refined for not liking thing. I think I'll spend months talking about the thing I don't like.

Y6c0j5M.jpg

hurr durr i have shit taste but wont admit it so i eat more shit just to prove to those retarded haters that im right oh no im dying of shit, damn u haters u did this to me!!!

oof, that rando /v/irgin must have hit a nerve

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
The ammo capacity has indeed been considerably lowered, but specifically for the shotgun. In the first level I ran out of ammo very fast, which forced me to chainsaw someone/look for ammo constantly and that pissed me the fuck off. But again it's mostly the shotgun. Once I got the first ammo upgrade the machingun had a confortable amount and once I found the plasma rifle the game never once again had that problem that kept fucking up the flow of the battles. By the 2nd ammo upgrade the shotgun actually lasts.

It definitely gives a really bad first impression because of having one or two guns and little ammo, that gets considerably better in just a couple levels. They should have figured out a way to have it be better at the beginning, but I don't know how.

orcinator

Liturgist
Beat it on nightmare, opinion hasn't changed, it's two steps back one step forward compared to NeoDoom1 which already had a ton of problems and NuDoom2 doubles down on most of them. Unsurprisingly all the OP powers and weapons made most of the second half a lot easier.

The arena fights still blend together after a while. Run a lap around the perimeter, freezenade the demon you want to kill fast and empty out your favorite gun on him, empty out what's left of your other guns on whatever else is blocking your path, press E to regen health, press R to regen armor press C to regen ammo, pray a big demon won't spawn on top of you, repeat.
Running laps is all you need to do to defeat everything but the Marauder, who really wants you to memorize his pattern instead of shooting your BFG at him.

NuevoDoom1 was one step removed from having regenerating health and this is one step removed from having both regenerating health and regenerating ammo and all the arguments about how it's so innovative how you don't have look for pickups are giving me some flashbacks to the start of the CoD era. Yeah a game is a lot faster paced if there's less things to worry about but at some point it just gets braindead.

Well, there were a grand total of three instances where I thought about ammo; the first was the Marauder fight on the bridge where the zombies either didn't respawn or were in an obscure place and so I had to beat the marauder the manly way with a gun instead of with rockets, the second was a fight between arenas in the final level where they spawned a bunch of big demons but forgot to spawn the small ones, I had nowhere near enough ammo to fight em but fortunately they somehow despawned when i went to see if there were any ammo pickups I missed(there weren't any), and the last was the final boss, who spawns infinite small enemies like the other bosses, but spawns em pretty slowly so I was worried for a bit.

SumDrunkGuy

I heard you can continually stunlock Marauder with a super shotty/ballista combo. You gotta have fast weapon swap perk thing.. So basically the toughest enemy in the game is now trivialized.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom