Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity + The White March Expansion Thread

Ninjerk

Arcane
The portraits have some especially strong shape language (bordering on animation-tier), but... ugly?

Prime Junta

Thanks for WM advice too, had no idea when I was supposed to start that I probably would have beaten the main campaign first otherwise tbh and idk if the game even lets you continue playing after main campaign

It doesn't but it makes and keeps an auto-save before the point of no return, you can always go back to that and do the WMs.

BarbequeMasta

Learned
Yeah, the white march is the reason I was legit hyped for POE2, I thought they could deliver a full game of that quality. then deadfire happend... sigh....

Yeah, same. It took a while for it to sink in. For me personally I think some of the more obvious flaws in Deadfire would be forgivable if the "micro" level was just more fun. Josh just doesn't grok the importance of per-rest casting and non-regenerating health in this type of game; that removes an entire dimension and a sense of urgency from it.

The writing is also just dull; it's better edited and more polished than in Pillars 1 but none of the characters are anywhere near as memorable, relatable, or just fun as, say, Zahua. The worldbuilding is solid, it looks gorgeous, moment-to-moment gameplay is just fine, some of the encounters are nicely set up, it's big and sprawling, it has cool items and abilities and classes and subclasses to play with, but it lacks the magical spark that brings a game alive.
Yeah, my too biggest problems with Deadfire are the story/writing in general(and especially the new companions, they're just awfull IMO) and the fact they kinda castrated the classic casters. It's not that they are weak in the context of the game, they're just waaay less fun then their counterparts in POE1/IE games/Kingmaker etc...

Priests/Druid/wizards have weaker spells that have longer casting times, they pcik 1 or 2 spells per level(instead of getting a list) from smallers lists, and you generally end up using the same 3-4 spells every fight because you don't have the casts or spells picks to do anything else.

Some of the martial classes I did enjoy a lot however, mainly the fighter and it's multiclasses, it's one of my favorite iterations of the class. but they're just not as fun as real casting class in other CRPGs.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Wizards are the least affected, I'd say. They still get grimoires with "extra" spells, they can even swap those. So some wizzie muliclasses hardly even pick any spells, focus on skills from the other class and passives + cast spells ftom grimoires.
Still has some spells with high impact. Blood mage can recover spent slots. One of the grimoires allows +1 cast per encounter per spell level. You can get brilliant from a (fairly high level) cipher. Or Tactician multiclass. And there are always empower points which can be expanded for extra casts.

Nas92

Augur
Holy shit, White March Part II is brutal if you scale it up. Basically every fight is like a boss fight, especially in Cayron's Scar. Also mini Abydon's hammer fucking sucks, at least on my main char it's shit.
Is there a reliable strategy against the Eyeless? I know Abydon's hammer sometimes just destroys them, but that's not reliable at all, they often just incapacitate my tanks and basically go through my fighters one at a time. Should I just cheese it and draw them away one by one?

Prime Junta

IIRC they’re not immune to Stuck or Stunned. Immobilise and kill at range.

Piotrovitz

Savant
Abydon's hammer slays Eyeless on crit, so just give it to some melee char, buff his acc with potions/scrolls/spells and go to town.

IMO the only difficult parts of WM2 may be cragholdt's bluff and Brynlod bounty, if you're unprepared.
Kraken fight is a joke.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
AFAIR St. Ydwen's Redemeer was way more reliable in the destruction of vessels then the Hammer.
Note such effects also work with AOE both passive and active abilities like Barbarian Carnage/Heart of Fury/Fighter's Clear Out in PoE1...

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
WM2 is actually very easy because you are basically at level cap or close to it. WM1 is the highlight of the series. When I played WM2 I thought it was better than 1, but I've changed my mind since then. While there are cooler visuals and more surprises, they are kinda just there, they don't support all that much, and the story goes bonkers and too epic again. The higher levels don't help.

Dawkinsfan69

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
Finished WM1 on hard, my party's lvl 9 now

I still steamrolled through most stuff, I think my party's kinda OP, but hot damn those fucking battery sirens MESSED me up in a few encounters, hitting my whole group with like a 20 second paralyze ugh

Anyway it was pretty awesome, I like the winter aesthetic and just basically enjoyed every part of it.

Unfortunately, I've been spending way too much time playing this game in the past week and it's starting to eat into real life things.. Now I remember why I stopped playing RPGs for so long.

Comte

Finished WM1 on hard, my party's lvl 9 now

I still steamrolled through most stuff, I think my party's kinda OP, but hot damn those fucking battery sirens MESSED me up in a few encounters, hitting my whole group with like a 20 second paralyze ugh

Anyway it was pretty awesome, I like the winter aesthetic and just basically enjoyed every part of it.

Unfortunately, I've been spending way too much time playing this game in the past week and it's starting to eat into real life things.. Now I remember why I stopped playing RPGs for so long.

Playing WM for the first time myself and it is fantastic. I think my favorite part of the game so far.

Nas92

Augur
Strange, it seems as if inside the Lair of the Eyeless the fights suddenly became easier. The fight with the Kraken was ridiculously easy, even with two Eyeless Hammers appeaing out of nowhere.
About the ending...
That ending conversation with the Eyeless is so cringy. I can't quite put my finger on it, but it doesn't feel deep, it just feels retarded and heavy handed. Also I feel like the writers are somehow trying to force their own opinions as the correct view through the game. What's the outcome of this conversation? I'm guessing there's a correct option that gets me a better ending, right?

Mikeal

Arcane
Strange, it seems as if inside the Lair of the Eyeless the fights suddenly became easier. The fight with the Kraken was ridiculously easy, even with two Eyeless Hammers appeaing out of nowhere.
About the ending...
That ending conversation with the Eyeless is so cringy. I can't quite put my finger on it, but it doesn't feel deep, it just feels retarded and heavy handed. Also I feel like the writers are somehow trying to force their own opinions as the correct view through the game. What's the outcome of this conversation? I'm guessing there's a correct option that gets me a better ending, right?

Abbydon's condition change depending on your choice.

Dawkinsfan69

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
Hey guys question about Act 3:

ok so I told a guard in twin elms to stick his spear up his ass and now the entire faction hates me and auto attacks. If I just rampage through and kill everyone is it possible to still get through the main storyline? Or should I reload?

I have one quicksave that I made right when I got to twin elms that I've been trying not to overwrite lol

Nas92

Augur
Alright, I finished the White March. I really don't have the patience to do the Llengrath fight, honestly I just want to end the main questline at this point, Thaos has been waiting for months at Sun in Shadow by now. Yeah, I'm doing Act III with a level 16 party, literally nothing can touch me, it's just point and click shit at this point. I'm dreading how anti-climatic the Thaos fight is gonna be, maybe even more so than the kraken fight.
I feel like it would have been better if the White March had been a Throne of Bhaal-esque campaign that directly follows the events of the MQ.

Dawkinsfan69

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
Alright, I finished the White March. I really don't have the patience to do the Llengrath fight, honestly I just want to end the main questline at this point, Thaos has been waiting for months at Sun in Shadow by now. Yeah, I'm doing Act III with a level 16 party, literally nothing can touch me, it's just point and click shit at this point. I'm dreading how anti-climatic the Thaos fight is gonna be, maybe even more so than the kraken fight.
I feel like it would have been better if the White March had been a Throne of Bhaal-esque campaign that directly follows the events of the MQ.

Daaaamn i didn't even think you could get to lvl 16 in this game. I'm at thaos and level 10 and he's been whooping my ass hard.
He has something like 150 deflection and will and seems to high roll everything ugh...

I think I know what I need to do to beat him but I literally need to micromanage everything my party does.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom