Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Atlus Persona 5

I'm not even sure "prolly" is real human speak. Sounds more like something you'd say jokingly, and only before saying "aight", maybe after saying "yea yea yea." Doesn't seem like a word someone would just drop into a naturally spoken sentence.

Blink

Prospernaut
Batshit Crazy
I'm not even sure "prolly" is real human speak. Sounds more like something you'd say jokingly, and only before saying "aight", maybe after saying "yea yea yea." Doesn't seem like a word someone would just drop into a naturally spoken sentence.
Hence why It's called teen speak.

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
That's teen speak fool.

Every character in the game does it though. Even the old man the MC lives with and the teachers. It's cringe as fuck and makes me think the translators are super cringey people too. I've literally never seen it in any game or anime. I've only seen it in P4, P5, and my old ICQ chats from middle school 26 years ago. I thought that shit was cringe by high school

Edit: Between this shit and the censorship I think I've finally gotten pissed off enough to go full weeb and learn Japanese so I can avoid this kind of crap. Wish me luck Codex.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
lolPersona.png
lolPersona2.png

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
^ That kind of shit makes me feel violent. This is why I need to learn Japanese and get off the western internet for a while. Resetera is cancer. I've heard on 8kun that they use VR games to meet up and plan DDOS and other illegal shit

Falksi

Arcane
About 20 hours into it now and it's OK. Enjoyable enough, but nothing spectacular.

I've only ever played Persona 3 before, which I thought was brilliant in some respects (music, combat, vibe etc.) but overall too repetitive & too much of a grind to see through.

5's dungeons are great, and it's combat's good enough too (if a little predictable and easy so far). I like the plot & where it's going, but the day to day stuff really doesn't do much for me. Overall I really don't care for the social link system. It's all a bit dull, and the fact that there's a "fast forward" button says a lot to me.

S'ok, but surprised at the amount of praise it gets tbh.

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron

It gets the crazy amount of praise because the style, the story, and the music are all top tier. The combat is really good too imo. The social link system is meh. I can take it or leave it. Also it has the best waifus of just about anything I've played. Tae is awesome. We need more punk rock waifus in anime games

Falksi

Arcane

It gets the crazy amount of praise because the style, the story, and the music are all top tier. The combat is really good too imo. The social link system is meh. I can take it or leave it. Also it has the best waifus of just about anything I've played. Tae is awesome. We need more punk rock waifus in anime games

There's definitely loads going for it, just a shame the main bulk of the game is fannying about doing fairly dull things. Still, can't complain too much, that fast forward option is there to be used after all.

Ann's more my style, but yeah Tae is still defo gravy.

z3xfPF3Vyxhdh5OsO5bSCd_yAGy9vSmTy9qFKtZG80JiWdmuoAYVwVBFaI8PylEBYHVHkPrXnZT-XtZ6_53k4wsPvdMRCofXhB-Hq0D9NNFOauGATEyKdIRvH5YBgSfRLfIigeJi1uxzudmyjR9n_u83YIQBILN-Y5IGD1KSdnxRJR8pkg

FbpipRM3Pqu7-UiLg37VfJocSLtA0c17EffOdYJoGMw.jpg

722350_psinclairnsfw_tae-takemi-from-persona-5-in-sexy-nurse-outfit.jpg

JFE4Jek_WZNlBLyJtvw_moBgMfU6jjCeXBkTcBtzOwU.jpg

ann-and-tae-having-a-fun-time-persona-5-cutesexyrobutts.jpg

2762394-ann_takamaki-persona-persona_5-tae_takem_01CRX3E0Y33PG65CP8B9H9NSYB.315x0.jpg

Last edited:

flyingjohn

Arcane
The obvious next step for the localization team is to change yen into dollars and make everybody eat hamburgers,oh and change the setting into something more relate able like San Francisco.

Terra

Cipher

There's definitely loads going for it, just a shame the main bulk of the game is fannying about doing fairly dull things. Still, can't complain too much, that fast forward option is there to be used after all.

Ann's more my style, but yeah Tae is still defo gravy.

z3xfPF3Vyxhdh5OsO5bSCd_yAGy9vSmTy9qFKtZG80JiWdmuoAYVwVBFaI8PylEBYHVHkPrXnZT-XtZ6_53k4wsPvdMRCofXhB-Hq0D9NNFOauGATEyKdIRvH5YBgSfRLfIigeJi1uxzudmyjR9n_u83YIQBILN-Y5IGD1KSdnxRJR8pkg

FbpipRM3Pqu7-UiLg37VfJocSLtA0c17EffOdYJoGMw.jpg

722350_psinclairnsfw_tae-takemi-from-persona-5-in-sexy-nurse-outfit.jpg

JFE4Jek_WZNlBLyJtvw_moBgMfU6jjCeXBkTcBtzOwU.jpg

ann-and-tae-having-a-fun-time-persona-5-cutesexyrobutts.jpg

2762394-ann_takamaki-persona-persona_5-tae_takem_01CRX3E0Y33PG65CP8B9H9NSYB.315x0.jpg
Ah shit, you reminded me that in this game all the best waifus in the game aren't in your fucking battle party! Doctor chick was indeed the best waifu.

Readher

Savant
Surprise, surprise. The beloved crowd of Resetera has found out something that will make all that catering to them irrelevant. Good job on that censorship Fatlus, here's your reward lol.

Atlus West invites known racist and sexual abuser RelaxAlax to Persona 5 Royal preview event

RelaxAlax is a known racist and sexual abuser. That didn't stop Atlus West from flying him out for a Persona 5 Royal preview event in Los Angeles this week. The Alexandria ballroom that served as the venue for the event has been described as Kamoshida's palace come to life. For those unaware, Kamoshida is a scumbag teacher sexually assaulting students in the game. Perhaps, so Atlus, that made RelaxAlax a perfect fit for the event.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/at...alax-to-persona-5-royal-preview-event.170855/

Readher

Savant
The obvious next step for the localization team is to change yen into dollars and make everybody eat hamburgers,oh and change the setting into something more relate able like San Francisco.

They literally changed characters names and made one black in Western PS1 version of Persona 1 to make the game more "relatable" for Americans.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Whats stupid about that censorship is the fact Kamoshida exists in the game. An actual bone fide sexual predator. Oh he is Straight so its fine.

And then there is some 4 lines gay jokes and the world is in flame.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron

They literally changed characters names and made one black in Western PS1 version of Persona 1 to make the game more "relatable" for Americans.

Tbf its old Japanese games folly. At that time nobody thinks that a very Japan centric with Japan high school setting would sell in west so thats pretty much passable for me.

I'm starting Persona 5 for like foruth (?) time.

Before release I was sure it will be best Persona ever but I never went beyond completing Kamoshida Castle and watch rest of the plot on youtube (and plot is shit).

Persona 4 had kinda boiring dungeon but overall expression made it the best title in the series.
Persona 3 had shit cast, the same boring dungeon and weak plot but i managed to finished it (female route on PSP) and didn't regret.
Persona 1 had average cast, boring main blot but Snow Queen route was unique (time-limited so little to no grinding, relying on low/mid level Personas with high level spells).
Persona 2 had boring and repetitive gameplay but awesome style and best plot.

Persona 5 seems to have great, polished mechanics but everything else feels like a triumph of form over substance. Maybe it's just me being burnt out for that long-ass slog type games, maybe there's too little innovation... lots of detailed got improved but there's no revolution.

Are most of those 10/10 reviews really from people who finished most of previous MegaTen? I can understand someone was delighted if P5 was his first Persona or even first SMT but for the hardcore fans?

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Persona 5 is the dictionary example of trying too hard.

I'm sure there's a good game in there somewhere but it's hard for me to feel it.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
I'm starting Persona 5 for like foruth (?) time.

Before release I was sure it will be best Persona ever but I never went beyond completing Kamoshida Castle and watch rest of the plot on youtube (and plot is shit).

Persona 4 had kinda boiring dungeon but overall expression made it the best title in the series.
Persona 3 had shit cast, the same boring dungeon and weak plot but i managed to finished it (female route on PSP) and didn't regret.
Persona 1 had average cast, boring main blot but Snow Queen route was unique (time-limited so little to no grinding, relying on low/mid level Personas with high level spells).
Persona 2 had boring and repetitive gameplay but awesome style and best plot.

Persona 5 seems to have great, polished mechanics but everything else feels like a triumph of form over substance. Maybe it's just me being burnt out for that long-ass slog type games, maybe there's too little innovation... lots of detailed got improved but there's no revolution.

Are most of those 10/10 reviews really from people who finished most of previous MegaTen? I can understand someone was delighted if P5 was his first Persona or even first SMT but for the hardcore fans?

Since Persona 3 you can consider Persona to be different series from Persona 1 and 2, and even more different than SMT main series.

It's not really the same game series anymore besides borrowing demons/spells/1-press system.

While hardcore fans might be stretching it as I never play and probably will never play SMT1, SMT2, and Persona 1, for what its worth I enjoy Persona 3 and 4. It's not some hardcore dungeon crawler like Noctrune/SMT4/SMT4A/DDS1/DDS2 and shouldn't be treated as such. The story is very "shonen" compared to Persona 2 or other SMT games.

All in all I can even say I enjoyed Persona 3 & 4 more compared to other SMT series because heavy dungeon crawler has never been my thing. Story-wise its more shonen urban fantasy compared to cosmic law/chaos/gods of mainline games, but I do enjoy both. Still, I agree completely that Persona 2 is the best thematically and plot-wise. It is dark, gripping urban-occult fantasy stuff which is very rare in video games. I wished Atlus would make games in style of Persona 2 plot-wise. Heck Persona 3 is quite dark as well in some places, but with P4 and P5 the theme has become more and more lighter which is suitable to the target demographic I guess.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
5 is too long and too easy. I mean, yes, 3 and 4 were also really long, but 5 feels too long anyway. 30 hours too long. I made it to the final, final dungeon and honestly I am bored out of my gourd. Just want it to be over.

My big problem in this one is that the social links break the game. Those Futaba abilities, as well as many of the abilities in general, just make no fight challenging. I am playing of Hard, for what's it worth, because I didn't want to grind like an idiot on the DLC difficulty.

4's still my favorite, likable cast, peppy soundtrack, just the right length, and the final boss isn't some long slogfest.

For people who have played 3 or 4, but not 5, imagine if some social link made it so that you randomly got Heat Riser on every party member. For free, just like that. Or any other -kaja buff. Or sometimes even free Focus/Concentrate on everyone, without using any turn on anyone. Ridiculous, right?

GarlandExCon

Arcane
Does anyone know if Persona 5: Happy Tentacle Monster or whatever edition that was suppose to come out in March in the U.S. is still releasing?

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
5 is too long and too easy. I mean, yes, 3 and 4 were also really long, but 5 feels too long anyway. 30 hours too long. I made it to the final, final dungeon and honestly I am bored out of my gourd. Just want it to be over.

My big problem in this one is that the social links break the game. Those Futaba abilities, as well as many of the abilities in general, just make no fight challenging. I am playing of Hard, for what's it worth, because I didn't want to grind like an idiot on the DLC difficulty.

4's still my favorite, likable cast, peppy soundtrack, just the right length, and the final boss isn't some long slogfest.

For people who have played 3 or 4, but not 5, imagine if some social link made it so that you randomly got Heat Riser on every party member. For free, just like that. Or any other -kaja buff. Or sometimes even free Focus/Concentrate on everyone, without using any turn on anyone. Ridiculous, right?

Completely agree. 4 was the best, 5 was overdone.

It's not really the same game series anymore besides borrowing demons/spells/1-press system.

I wish Persona back to its roots. P3 is revolutionary game but how many times should we grind the pattern 'Let's learn Mathematics hard so we can became teacher's favourite pet so we can fuse fucking Beelzebub'. It's getting old.

Persona with P2 atmosphere, pure dungeon crawling, P5 mechanics and 'everyone is a wild card'... and adult cast, like in Eternal Punishment - that would be awesome.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom