Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Pre-Release Thread [EARLY ACCESS RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
then game would have almsot 0 item progression :negative:

Good. Monty Haul was a mistake, let us return to the days when getting a magic weapon meant something. :cool:

Stella Brando

Arcane
When I was a kid we were grateful if iron didn't say 'Made In China Nashkel.'

We had to walk to the Nashkel mines barefoot in the snow, attacked by kobolds on the way there and koitalics on the way back.

LannTheStupid

Товарищ
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Well, I have watched (at last!) the interview with Nick Pechenin from Larian which was posted here some time ago. He mentioned that in BG-3 "the A.I. can decide to shoot a barrel near the hero if the A.I. concludes that in the barrel can be some liquid that provides "difficult terrain".

And you know what? If he did not lie, and if this will be implemented at least partially - then screw all your RTwP vs. TB, screw "DoS 3" and all your complains. Let it be DoS dos, DoS tres or even DoS cuatro. Give me this A.I., and other developer teams can burn in fire. And their parents can die from COVID-19 for bringing up children who cannot program the A.I.

It seems that Pink Eye has deleted his post, but if he is monitoring this thread here are the time stamps:
https://youtu.be/yZPj83H38bs?t=456 - about how the A.I. estimates the situation in general.
https://youtu.be/yZPj83H38bs?t=474 - the example I metioned above.

Last edited:

jungl

Augur
latest
Cant wait for the enchanced edition that will eventually come out 20 years later that will make the graphics somehow worse. The black outline on the sprites was terrible decision by beamdog.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Well, I have watched (at last!) the interview with Nick Pechenin from Larian which was posted here some time ago. He mentioned that in BG-3 "the A.I. can decide to shoot a barrel near the hero if the A.I. concludes that in the barrel can be some liquid that provides "difficult terrain".

And you know what? If he did not lie, and if this will be implemented at least partially - then screw all your RTwP vs. TB, screw "DoS 3" and all your complains. Let it be DoS dos, DoS tres or even DoS cuatro. Give me this A.I., and other developer teams can burn in fire. And their parents can die from COVID-19 for bringing up children who cannot program the A.I.

It seems that Pink Eye has deleted his post, but if he is monitoring this thread here are the time stamps:
https://youtu.be/yZPj83H38bs?t=456 - about how the A.I. estimates the situation in general.
https://youtu.be/yZPj83H38bs?t=474 - the example I metioned above.
What's impressive about that?

A simple feature like that can be a great addition to the game, but two points need to be met:
- the AI needs to be able to correctly assess if it's worth it to "shoot the barrel". In KotC enemies try to bull rush you into braziers if you stand near them, but they are very stupid: they use their entire round trying to get you into the brazier even if they could damage you a lot more with their normal attacks;
- the game needs A LOT of different "barrels to shoot", meaning that you need a lot of "items" that can influence the course of the fight. If you encounter the same four or five "items" that behave always in the same way, it quickly becomes a boring gimmick.

Unwanted

Sweeper

Unwanted
Zionist Agent
He mentioned that in BG-3 "the A.I. can decide to shoot a barrel near the hero if the A.I. concludes that in the barrel can be some liquid that provides "difficult terrain".
I'm starting to think that Larian is entirely made up of barrel fetishists.

The_Mask

Just like Yves, I chase tales.
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Am surprised they didn't announce a barrel romance yet....
Every time I play a Larian game I contrast it with Dark Souls where there is literally 1 barrel in the entire game that contains anything of interest, and I just smirk at the difference in level.

Elex

Arbiter
Am surprised they didn't announce a barrel romance yet....
Every time I play a Larian game I contrast it with Dark Souls where there is literally 1 barrel in the entire game that contains anything of interest, and I just smirk at the difference in level.
What about barrel mimics?

In a context of DOS:3 it one of the reasons why they cut down the party size: to reduce the number of mobs therefore reduce average overall encounter's time. Which is a shame.
Yeah no matter what people say about pausing, TB takes significatly more time to get through similar encounters than RTWP. Take kingmaker TB mode for example, it's cool and works pretty well minus the (inmy opinion) unclear UI, BUT going through the entire game with it took me almost twice as much as my average RTWP playthrough on harder difficulties.
TB can implement functions like skip enemy turn etc to reduce that but it's obviously not an optimal solution0
Fun thing about this. RTwP is faster than TB, but most of them shove in so many encounters- playtime spent fighting is roughly the same.

Self-Ejected

underground nymph

I care not!
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
I mean... RTwP was a thing back in times when there were not a lot of options aka active skills per companion except say casters, as well as passive skills that you were supposed to track somehow anyway. In current day DnD we have an overwhelming variety of options per one character. Implementing them in RTwP isn’t impossible, but I would’ve questioned sanity of a person who would like to play this Benny Hill-style shit show.

CappenVarra

phase-based phantasmist
Patron
i pity the fool that defends rtwp on the codex

of all the forums on all the internets in all the world, they walk into mine
I'm kind of a centrist here and care far more about implementation but let's see what you've got: RTwP is more convenient and *realistic* system. It can deliver feel of epic battle thanks to simultaneous action and associated effects.
let's agree on the implementation having the most importance

(skipping OD&D, 1st ed AD&D, BECMI, etc. as having no relevance to a Balur's Gate game)

a 2nd ed AD&D game should use a phase-based system (note simultaneous resolution and "realism", within reasonable AD&D limits) or lose a lot of the system's finesse

a 3rd ed D&D game should use a turn-based system

a 4th ed D&D game should use a... who the hell knows, or cares?

a 5th ed D&D game should use a turn-based system

if it doesn't, the ruleset loses it role - so, what's the purpose?

i do not posses the inclination to rehash two decades of codex discussions, but RTwP is a clunky artefact of its time, a quaint reminder of flash-in-the pan fashions, like disco music or enfield bulpup assault rifles - today, good only to laugh at

DraQ

Arcane
And now for something completely different:
RTWP can make for excellent gameplay.
Some of the best games I've ever played (and not just for story like PS:T) used RTWP.
The thing is:
RTWP makes for absolutely lousiest mechanics possible for controlling small handful of units, each demanding ultra fine precision AND featuring huge number of options (inventory, spellcasting, etc.). Like you do in an RPG.
Then, layering RTWP on top of TB PnP mechanics is just a bad joke.

For single character RPGs best make them RT, preferably FPP or TPP with actiony controls, for best timing, movement and targetting precision.
For party based, just make them TB or Phase-Based for unintrusively multiplexing the control flow between different characters.
:obviously:
(Do any of you muh-RTWP plebes even know what "multiplexing" means? :obviously: Bah! )

Good. Monty Haul was a mistake, let us return to the days when getting a magic weapon meant something. :cool:
One of my favourite itemizations ever was in Witcher 1 (though BG1 wasn't half bad at it either).
:love:
Anyway, both item and character progressions are at their best when they are highly horizontal.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
The fact magic items were rare and their extraordinary acquisition in BG1 is what made them special enough to unintentionally commit them to memory to recite them even on your deathbed.

Last edited:

Deleted Member 22431

And now for something completely different:
RTWP can make for excellent gameplay.
No, it cannot. You always take advantage of the pause and the AI can't handle it. Also, it becomes a total clusterfuck where you can't see wtf is happening, which leads to even more pause and micromanagement.

Last edited by a moderator:

Deleted Member 22431

Yeah no matter what people say about pausing, TB takes significantly more time to get through similar encounters than RTWP.
That is irrelevant. What matters is whether it has more tactical depth. You think RTwP is better suited for games like BG but that’s only because the game was designed with this system in mind. In BG is always a matter of quantity over quality. You have plenty of quests, items, and encounters, but the quality of most of it is debatable. Yet, the fact that you have so much quantity can be a surprise if you are used to smaller games. If you implement turn-based combat in BG2, the game would be dross because it has so much trash combat with so many enemies in each encounter. "But it adds pacing!", screams your inner retard. That’s like saying that overpowered weapons add character progression and nonsensical characters are fun. It’s retarded territory and I’m not going there.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom