Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter StarCrawlers - indie sci-fi dungeon crawling RPG

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Update from last month: https://steamcommunity.com/games/318970/announcements/detail/1702822670435661892

StarCrawlers Patch Notes 22 Dec 2018 - UPDATED

GuTaK3B.png

UPDATED : 7 JAN 2019
  • OSX : Quick fix to help launch issues on older systems - launch may be slower than usual, but it will get there ;)

22 December Hofix
  • Linux : Fixed an issue causing incorrect resolution on launch.
  • Linux : Disabled "Permanent Free Look" as default.
  • Fixed issue hiding info text when saving was disabled during mission.

StarCrawlers v1.1.2

A bunch of festive fixes and tweaks to hacking and the base game have arrived. Unfortunately, the coolant towers on STIX have overloaded again - enjoy the snow while it lasts!

Base Game
  • Updated StarCrawlers to Unity 2018.2.11f1.
  • Festive gifts have been spotted on missions. In the spirit of the holidays, be sure to steal them.
  • Fixed issue with effects that update their duraton at end of turn sometimes updating at the start also and so shortening duration considerably.
  • Fixed issues with some events that could display no options to proceed.
  • Fixed issue on Final Boss Fight preventing use of combat inventory after phase 1.
  • Fixed Crabomination being able to create an infinite loop of the ability Alpha Strike.
  • Fixed item duplication that could occur after looting a chest with a fully inventory.

Linux
  • Stability should be improved when using the supported distro of Ubuntu 10.04 (or newer).
  • Text entry fields should no longer input characters twice.

Hacking
  • Du Bei in the Hackshop now offers special missions to perform remote hacks from the safety of STIX: no physical danger to your crawlers and your identity will be protected - as long as your Deck Masking holds.
  • Jacking out of a remote hack mission prior to completing your objective will fail the mission.
  • Base health of enemies in Hacking reduced.
  • Base cost of items in Hackshop reduced.
  • Successful node operations play a sound now.
  • Group configuration for enemy hacking systems given additional randomization.
  • Damage to enemies and to player that is fully absorbed by a Barrier effect correctly displays floating numbers and log entries.
  • Fixed issue with generated hacking maps having some nodes unconnected.
  • Fixed clones created by Dupe from setting the player deck’s health to their health value.
  • Dazzle and Flares were receiving too much Stun value per level.
  • Multi-hit attacks (like Shiv) now show damage per hit vs. min to max range.
  • Fixed issue prevent Overwatch from initiating its effect on enemies.
  • Equipping a Utility that modifies max HP / MP now converts current values to a percentage of the new ones (just like Health in the meatworld) instead of just changing the max value.
  • Du Bei will now offer to heal the % missing of your deck HP (instead of charging a flat fee for a full heal, regardless of missing health).
  • Deck HP & MP are displayed during node hacking events to give you better information about whether you want to risk them during node operations.
  • Being jacked out by an event or fleeing combat now returns you to the meatworld properly.
  • Fixed hacking programs carrying from game to new game.
  • Fixed crit and damage reduction values being miscalculated resulting in always / never critting and no / massive damage reduction.
  • Fixed Deck button during hacking becoming unresponsive after completing a previous hack.
  • Fixed several issues caused by using Fast Combat Animations during Hacking.
  • Fixed Mimics mimicking Mimics that could lead to mimiception.

Misc
  • Minor text fixes.

Happy Holidays from StarCrawlers!

So what are they doing? Is another game from them coming?

Browsing Linkinedin, it seems like Juggernaut Games right now is nothing more than George Cochrane aka Thunderflux, CCO (who posted the above patch notes). Even their domain for studio website (juggernaut-games.com) was taken.

Codex Year of the Donut
https://steamcommunity.com/games/318970/announcements/detail/1738855347298796033
StarCrawlers Patch Notes - 1 Feb 2019
Feb 1 @ 4:21am - Thunderflux
StarCrawlers v1.1.3.2

Happy Lunar New Year! Rojo the Lucky has appeared on STIX (and will no longer pelt you with infinite Lunar Coins).

Base Game Changes
  • Added inventory Sort button to Loadout, Stash, and Merchant menus - sort your items by Type, Rarity, Value and apply filters to highlight specific item types.
  • Think an additional menu needs a Sort button? Let us know on the forums!
  • Added Combat Ability Hotkeys (key or keypad #1 - 6) for equipped abilities. Simply mouse over an enemy and hit the hotkey to trigger the ability in that slot. This feature is in-dev and will be expanded and added to the Controls menu in a later patch with customizable hotkeys.
  • Combat Ability Hotkeys does not currently function when Stick Ability Wheel is active.

Base Game Fixes
  • Player hacking Core should now receive the correct amount from effects that boost damage (ex : all ranks of Protocol)
  • Failing to flee from combat with Sticky Ability Wheel enabled will no longer softlock combat.
  • All categories of Dossier will now correctly drop - happy Lore Hunting!

Misc
  • Minor text and UI fixes.
  • Added more bugs for free.

Browsing Linkinedin, it seems like Juggernaut Games right now is nothing more than George Cochrane aka Thunderflux, CCO (who posted the above patch notes).
The game was a two-man project according to Thunderflux.

grimace

Arcane
Have there been any patches/updates to StarCrawlers?

Was there a Codex review?

I found this video of some gameplay.

https://youtu be/KLsrx5PC4Z8

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
For a two man team they did great. Some really good production values on this game, with really nice art and music. What killed the game for me was too-simplistic game mechanics and boring dungeons.

V_K

Arcane
my sentiments towards the game turned extremely negative after a couple hours
What enraged you so much?
I'm playing it right now and having quite a bit of fun. Granted, it's not the deepest blobber ever, but the story dungeons at least are well enough designed with proper resource management and ample amounts of alternative paths/solutions.

What enraged you so much?
Primarily that the game seemed determined to disincentivize exploration in all of its systems and design (i.e. the banal itemization, the explicit design of all difficulty being a result of attrition, the uninspired procedural level generation, etc.), which is a cardinal sin for a blobber, imo. The game also had other flaws (complete lack of class parity and balance, underwhelming and grindy reputation system, lack of enemy variety, awful, awful fucking UI) that wouldn't have been damning when taken alone, but in concert with each other (and, again, the bizarre decision to discourage exploration at every turn) soured me on the game quite quickly. It's a shame, because the reason that I expressed interest in writing a Codex review was that a TB sci-fi blobber sounds like a slam-dunk to me, but... I didn't find that to be the case. I have heard that post-release patches/content addressed some of my initial criticisms so maybe I'll give it another shot someday, but...eh so little time to waste on games that have already disappointed me.

Last edited:

V_K

Arcane
disincentivize exploration in all of its systems and design
I both get and don't get this complaint. I think it only properly applies to procedural missions - which I'm avoiding as much as I can because you never should expect fun levels from procedural generation unless you're playing Unexplored. In story missions, on the other hand, I think finding your objectives provides more than enough fun exploration. I does disincentivize looking into every nook and cranny, I give you that, because usually you're supposed to choose between the combat-heavy and stealth/puzzle paths - and you're not provided a quest compass telling you which is which. But I think it just adds to the fun.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
It's the same kind of exploration found in any Wiz-clone except simpler and less well-executed, with less things to find or do.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
That is true. Avoiding combat is not something that's warranted in the kind of game I'm referring to. As for StarCrawlers, it's the combat itself that became my main grievance with the game, and I think you'll soon see why when the HP pools start bloating. I found myself not wanting to fight enemies the further I progressed into the missions, for a variety of reasons, and that in turn made me not want to explore.

If the devs work on their formula just a little bit more for their next game they can definitely produce something legitimately winning. They came close with StarCrawlers.

Last edited:

Morblot

Aberrant Member | Star Trek V Apologist
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
Yeah the HP bloat was annoying as fuck. Cool little game otherwise. I don't regret the 40-50 hours I spent on it.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
They have a new project: https://connect.unity.com/jobs/5cd54798edbc2a03821f4567

Seeking 3d Character Artist

UPDATE : 15 May 19

Thank you everyone submitting their work and resumes! We have closed the posting as of 15 May and will be reviewing all applications shortly.

Hello! We’re Juggernaut Games, creators of StarCrawlers (https://store.steampowered.com/app/318970/StarCrawlers/), and we’re looking for a talented 3d character artist to work with us on a new project. This task is paid and remote! The task is to create 1 character from provided concept art and there is an opportunity for future (also paid!) collaboration on a variety of characters.

Are you a talented 3d character artist with experience working remotely? Would you like to be paid to create characters working from concept art and collaboration with others? We’d love to talk to you! BONUS : can you also rig and animate your creations? We’d really love to talk to you!

Responsibilities
  • Working from provided concept art and direction, model, unwrap and texture a 3d character suitable for export as .fbx to use in a game created with the Unity engine.
  • Be proficient using industry-standard applications such as Photoshop / Autodesk Maya / Max to create high-to-low poly characters with diffuse, normal, and spec maps.
  • Be comfortable communicating in English and using Skype to keep an open line of communication with Juggernaut Games about your progress - we are based in the UK but work remotely with artists globally.
  • Be receptive to feedback while also providing your feedback - this is a team collaboration and we value working with artists who share their ideas and experience.
Payment & Timetable
  • Payment is negotiable based on experience and is on a per-character basis with payments made after receipt of the deliverable.
  • Our timetable is flexible and this is an ideal opportunity for someone who wants to earn at their own pace.
Interested?
  • Respond to this posting and please include resume, portfolio / demo reel links, and anything else you think we should know about you.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Halloween update: https://steamcommunity.com/games/318970/announcements/detail/1590258590962371801

Halloween Has Arrived!
New user-controlled holiday events, new holiday items, QoL improvements

The Cursed Mün has risen and brings with it a seasonal update!

1. Add user-controlled holiday settings. On the title screen, select Options > Holiday to change the holiday setting or disable it.

2. The holiday intro events for Lunar New Year and Halloween will only trigger one time when the holiday is first set. To refresh the event for a new game or different save, simple reset the holiday from the title screen.

3. Updated items on Halloween vendor in STIX.

4. Ghost Pirates and bosses on the Halloween event Ghost Ship mission now have a change to drop holiday accessories and Skull Candy.

5. Fixed an issue on Ghost Ship that could cause Mr Blood to aggro you outside of his room and block mission progress.

6. Added additional checks against the dread Final Boss bug - if you're still experiencing this bug after the patch, please drop us a note!

Also, the new game also will be turn-based: https://steamcommunity.com/app/318970/eventcomments/1630790506926534568#c1630790506926667363

Thanks - hanging in there! New project in the works, nothing to announce just yet but it'll be posted here first :D

It will be turn-based!

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Another update: https://steamcommunity.com/games/318970/announcements/detail/1619536514982043363

Also "news about what Juggernaut Games is working on next in the StarCrawlers universe is coming... Soon™!"

Black Market Bonanza
New item codes are being released for the Black Market! Have you found them all?

Updated to StarCrawlers v1.1.3.5

New Black Market Codes
30+ Black Market codes for items ranging from Rare to Legendary will be dropped on Twitter (@Juggernaut_News), Facebook (@JuggernautGamesStudio), and here on Steam.

Let's start the many days of Lootmas with 8C2081D79
steamhappy

For Shaw
The Shaw random event has been updated to improve flow and address issues with loading an in-progress attempt at collecting Shaw's Equipment.

Completionists, Rejoice!
Fixed a unique issue that could hinder players from completing the Spymaster achievement.

Minor Text Fixes
Together we'll slay them all.

What's Next?!
More news about what Juggernaut Games is working on next in the StarCrawlers universe is coming... Soon™!

It's not a sequel apparently: https://steamcommunity.com/app/318970/discussions/0/1630791709840842312/#c3159763879057906602

Turn-based RPG in the StarCrawlers universe, but it's not SCII :D

Serious_Business

Best Poster on the Codex
This game is pretty good. The game is pretty slow at first and picks up later ; it gives a good sense of progression on that front, like a good blobber should. The "hp bloat" just means your characters are weak ; it goes away with progression. The randomly generated levels are pretty cool. I recommend playing on Iron man on the highest difficulty level. You'll get some tense moments with the attrition and everything. It doesn't work on any party build though. You need some trial and error with the character system to figure out what works best, it's not very intuitive. The writing is also pretty engaging overall, I was pretty surprised with this. There is some cool faction reactivity in the narrative.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
New game is also blobber: https://steamcommunity.com/app/318970/discussions/0/1747895838225841607/#c1747895838226404381

Thanks for the kind words and we're glad you enjoyed the game! We're actually working on a new title set in the same universe that is also a first-person rpg gridder (nothing to announce yet!), so I'd say we considered it a success for us personally. Was it a smash commercial success? No - but it doesn't need to be. We know we're working in a niche genre but it's one we love and are happy to work in.

Unfortunately the way StarCrawlers was originally built doesn't make modding / Steam Workshop support or localization viable - but these are lessons learned that are being applied to the new project from the ground up. Also the constructive feedback from the forums on what worked and what didn't in StarCrawlers has all been boiled down to be applied to the next game too :D

Darth Canoli

Arcane
-Game is on the whole too easy. I'm playing on second highest difficulty. Had one TPK, but I only had two chars. Next go-round I added two more 'crawlers' to the party and absolutely steam-rolled a mission of the same difficulty.
-I strongly dislike how the exploration elements of the game are basically relegated to freelook (from what I've seen secrets are almost entirely reliant upon using freelook to examine strange areas of the grid).
-Itemization is too WoWinspired. Also the inventory UI is missing some obvious quality of life improvements.
-Character/monster art design is pretty bad, and enemies lack variety.

I strongly agree with these points.

Didn't play for long, skipped the tutorial and played a mission solo (you don't have any choice for the first mission), extremely easy, the game has you pixel hunting in order to find credsticks giving you 5 credsticks (where cheap items are sold for 150).
Freelook is a real pain, at first, i told myself : "i don't like it but it's alright", but it's only alright for the first short mission.

Then, i recruited 2 more crawlers and did an orange mission (two level higher), i was fairly close to the end when i quit and uninstalled.

The good :
  • The settings is nice, Like a futuristic version of Shadowrun (Shadowrun meets Bladerunner)
  • The different classes + background
  • Item comparison (without it, it'd probably have been unplayable)
  • Dungeon graphic design is alright
  • Monsters are visible on the map

The Bad :
  • Character creation/dev. is lacking, no attributes at all.
  • Skill progression is a MMO like skill tree
  • Itemization comes from the same influence, oh, just got an uncommon item giving me +1% evade (+6%) compared to my previous +5% ...
  • Freelook is annoying at best, if you're epileptic, this game will kill you.
  • Enemies variety (none), first dungeon = 1 enemy + the boss, second dungeon = 2 different enemies (didn't fight the boss, probably had one)
  • I don't like enemy design either, it's too simple (bland ?)
  • The exploration is a pain, freelook has you watching everywhere around from your feet to the ceiling hunting down credsticks and hidden compartments, i just want a perception attribute
  • Dungeon actual design isn't very good, think phantasy star III with way less encounters.

I think they could have turn it into a game i'd enjoy playing but laziness, lack of talent and skills made it into the game it is.

Played it for 30 minutes and it was way too much already.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom