Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Half-Life: Alyx - Valve's full-length flagship VR game set between HL1 and HL2

Latro

Arcane
what the hell else would it look like

A new game? In a new area? Do sequels/prequels usually take place in the same spot with a graphical upgrade? Not really.
Alyx is basically EP3, HL3 won't be a retread whatsoever. Or shouldn't be, you never know with Valve.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Alyx is basically EP3, HL3 won't be a retread whatsoever. Or shouldn't be, you never know with Valve.

Well it's $59.99 and came out 15 years later, so I'm not sure that holds water, but... whatevs. It looks very nice, I'm just saying I wish I were blown away by the new Half-Life visuals rather than just thinking "wow they made Half-Life 2 look amazing."

Doktor Best

Arcane
There is no sprint button and smooth turning is bugged. I dont want to crawl through the levels let me run at a reasonable speed ffs. I play quake vr, i dont need a game to nanny me so i dont vomit on the floor.

Venser

Erudite
I hope Alyx gives them enough money to finance Portal 3, HL3 and some new game in that manner.

The money isn't an issue with Valve. They can finance anything they want from that Steam$$$

Terenty

Liturgist
It looks impressive graphically, but its linear as fuck as far as i can tell(i dont have a vr). But gameplay wise is there something that is unique to vr that cant be accomplished or experienced otherwise?

And i cant see the future for vr either. Sure valve and maybe some other company can afford to make a linear game with insane attention to details, but what about vr games with more than a single room that leads to a corridor that leads to a room etc? How much would it cost? Its not feasible imo

Venser

Erudite
Sure valve and maybe some other company can afford to make a linear game with insane attention to details, but what about vr games with more than a single room that leads to a corridor that leads to a room etc? How much would it cost? Its not feasible imo

The cost of making a VR game shouldn't really be any higher than a normal game. The problem is making a return since not enough people have VR headsets yet. Why it shouldn't be feasible? There are open world VR games. No Man's Sky added a VR support after it's release but it's done just as good as in any native VR title. Valve didn't have to design it in a linear manner, they chose to do it.

Last edited:

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Sure valve and maybe some other company can afford to make a linear game with insane attention to details, but what about vr games with more than a single room that leads to a corridor that leads to a room etc? How much would it cost? Its not feasible imo

The cost of making a VR game shouldn't really be any higher than a normal game. The problem is making a return since not enough people have VR headsets yet. Why it shouldn't be feasible? There are open world VR games. No Man's Sky added a VR support after it's release but it's done just as good as in any native VR title. Valve didn't have to design it in a linear manner, they chose to do it.

Valve has money to burn on experiments and "innovators".

From their perspective they are probably aiming for long term returns with this.

Venser

Erudite

All 3 of them got motion sick from the Index and switched to Rift S, saying they were willing to sacrifice better visuals for more comfort. Hmm...first time hearing something like that. Thought you would be less prone to sickness on the Index since it has much higher refresh rate

A horse of course

All 3 of them got motion sick from the Index and switched to Rift S, saying they were willing to sacrifice better visuals for more comfort. Hmm...first time hearing something like that. Thought you would be less prone to sickness on the Index since it has much higher refresh rate

Maybe they were below 90fps on the higher res models.

Terenty

Liturgist

Non linear, open games with such attention to details and interactivity? Seems too resource costly. Isn't VR whole schtick is being this intimate with environments and basically simulating every aspect of it in 3d space ala Alyx? Static non interactive environments with objects glued to the ground wont cut it anymore. Maybe i'm wrong i have no experience with VR

Unwanted

a Goat

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Edgy Vatnik
DAY AFTER RELEASE
aUjqN08.png

HALF LIFE FLOPYX: SUCCESSFUL ONLY IN VIRTUAL REALITY

Egosphere

Arcane
I just realized that blink movement in VR is basically like the stuttering movement in Myst and Riven, but with an unlocked camera. Return to tradition!

And i cant see the future for vr either. Sure valve and maybe some other company can afford to make a linear game with insane attention to details, but what about vr games with more than a single room that leads to a corridor that leads to a room etc? How much would it cost? Its not feasible imo

I don't get how Alyx is supposed to open the door for other devs to try out VR. Half Life has been around for 20+ years, has a massive fanbase, was getting a sequel that has been hyped up for 16 years; the devs are turning a big profit from the headsets AND have endless cash from Steam on top of that.. If you're in charge of $100m project, would you pivot to VR because of Alyx? I wouldn't. Valve can make money from the hardware and 100% of the money from sales (+ money from complementary demand for other HL games) + 30% cut on all the titles if this leads to a boom in demand. Everything is stacked in favour of Alyx

Lots of shit to interact with and lore to find if you look around, for instance there's a globe in the apartment that basically indicates that the good old US of A is no more and you are or there is something of interest in Russia:.

Interesting. Those free levels they released for index owners had all the writing in Bulgarian. Seems like they turned the setting back to Russia some way into development.

Unwanted

a Goat

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Edgy Vatnik
I just realized that blink movement in VR is basically like the stuttering movement in Myst and Riven, but with an unlocked camera. Return to tradition!
If anything it's admission of defeat of VR devs realising that there's no fucking way to make convenient control scheme for FPS games with VR.

In a decade from now the headsets we have now will still be the most advanced pieces of VR ever made, with simulator fans fighting for the ones that still work. The tech is shit, the concept is shit and thankfully Half Flop:Alyx is the final nail to the coffin of this retardation.

GewuerzKahn

Savant
If anything it's admission of defeat of VR devs realising that there's no fucking way to make convenient control scheme for FPS games with VR.
Is just use the trackpad on the controller to move around. You don't have to teleport (except for some jump sections). It's not difficult.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom