Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Pre-Release Thread [EARLY ACCESS RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Daidre

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
it is also known those people (that prefer RTwP) are free to enjoy as much RTwP/disco/McDonald's as they want - but their judgment is found lacking by the Kodex Kritikal Konsenzus: we are here to define what a *proper* CRPG is, not to munch on BigMacs ffs
It is difficult to comprehend greatness of TB when it is promoted in Larian's thread - studio that achieved success by creating THE most casualtarded RPG-TB imaginable for a wide masses.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
it is also known those people (that prefer RTwP) are free to enjoy as much RTwP/disco/McDonald's as they want - but their judgment is found lacking by the Kodex Kritikal Konsenzus: we are here to define what a *proper* CRPG is, not to munch on BigMacs ffs
It is difficult to comprehend greatness of TB when it is promoted in Larian's thread - studio that achieved success by creating THE most casualtarded RPG-TB imaginable for a wide masses.
I think that is a bit harsh. I mean games like Blackguards are not all that deep either. That game is hard because the battles are so well tuned, but there are not many spells and abilities. RTWP or not, something like IWD is more complex and interesting. DoS is pretty basic but with a full set of AD&D spells it could be much better. My only issue with DoS was the annoying writing and the shallow combat. Change both of those and I'd be really happy with it.

Quillon

Arcane

TB is a very deep strategic and bla bla system but only in the veeeery prestigious games that no one plays. TB in mainstream sucks just like anything else. "turn-based lovers" even ashamed to admit they like DOS'/nu-X-com's gameplay while they are jumping with joy waiting for Larian's AAA TB BG3.

:smug:

RangerOne

Literate
But rtwp is not meat. It's cheap and lazy substitute for both tb and pure rt. Basically - vegan meat.
I was watching a Final Fantasy 7 Remake demo playthrough on Youtube today. The game has real time combat, but you can pause to issue tactical commands, cast spells and such. It would be "a piece of RTwP shit for faggots", if your argumentation were strictly applied.

Question: Could a hypothetical Final Fantasy 7 Remake with pure real time combat, and consequently no option to issue tactical commands, be a good game? Or do the above rules only apply to top-down CRPGs and not, for example, to third-person JRPGs?

Just wondering.

RangerOne

Literate
But rtwp is not meat. It's cheap and lazy substitute for both tb and pure rt. Basically - vegan meat.
It would be "a piece of RTwP shit for faggots", if your argumentation were strictly applied.
But IT IS rtwp shit for faggots!
Right.

So you're saying that Final Fantasy 7 Remake would be a a substantially better game (for an action JRPG nonetheless) if it had a "pure real time" combat system instead of the current RTwP combat system? The latter of which allows the player to pause the game so he can issue tactical commands?

Just wondering.

RangerOne

Literate
It would be "a piece of RTwP shit for faggots", if your argumentation were strictly applied.
Right.

So you're saying that Final Fantasy 7 Remake would be a a substantially better game (for an action JRPG nonetheless) if it had a "pure real time" combat system instead of the current RTwP combat system? The latter of which allows the player to pause the game so he can issue tactical commands?

Just wondering.
No answer other than a retardo and "RTwP is shit!" Reinhardt? Cat got your tongue or something? It is just a harmless question.

You have said that "turn-based is good" and that "real time is good", but "real time with pause is shit for faggots".

That said, I am wondering if Squeenix could improve Final Fantasy 7 Remake if they'd simply remove the option to pause the game to issue tactical commands? That would mean it would be a "pure real time" game and not a "RTwP shit" game, at least according to your argumentation.

Reinhardt

Arcane
Right.

Just wondering.
No answer other than a retardo and "RTwP is shit!" Reinhardt? Cat got your tongue or something? It is just a harmless question.

You have said that "turn-based is good" and that "real time is good", but "real time with pause is shit for faggots".

That said, I am wondering if Squeenix could improve Final Fantasy 7 Remake if they'd simply remove the option to pause the game to issue tactical commands? That would mean it would be a "pure real time" game and not a "RTwP shit" game, at least according to your argumentation.
I said FF7 remake battle system is shit. What exactly you can't understand?
Bringing it as some high point of rtwp is retarded move.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
RtwP is balanced meats and vegetable diet, well-cooked but you need to eat with your not-dominant hand.

Pure TB is like raw meat with high-fat content. You will probably get sick and get salmonella eating it. It needs to be cooked and added a lot of spices to be good.

Unwanted

Sweeper

Unwanted
Zionist Agent
Of course, you, I and all the people who aren't retarded know that already.
I just wanna learn how the TB fag thinks.

Elex

Arbiter
I think that is a bit harsh. I mean games like Blackguards are not all that deep either. That game is hard because the battles are so well tuned, but there are not many spells and abilities. RTWP or not, something like IWD is more complex and interesting. DoS is pretty basic but with a full set of AD&D spells it could be much better. My only issue with DoS was the annoying writing and the shallow combat. Change both of those and I'd be really happy with it.
This is why we should push more on the editor/ DM mode.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
RtwP is balanced meats and vegetable diet, well-cooked but you need to eat with your not-dominant hand.

Pure TB is like raw meat with high-fat content. You will probably get sick and get salmonella eating it. It needs to be cooked and added a lot of spices to be good.
If you think that raw meet NEEDS to be cooked to be good, it only means you never tasted real uncooked meat.

Just like people who criticize TB usually haven't ever played a proper TB game.

Rinslin Merwind

Erudite

Just for you to know - people make comparisons to prove their point/explain somethink, meanwhile your comparison is so biased and arrogant, that even a blind person will see that you just showing your irrational hatred to different opinion and refusal to even listen to other people.
You are really dumb if expected that people who don't like RTwP will change their minds just because you compared it to well cooked meat (comparison insulting to well cooked meat btw).
If you created this dumb comparison to harvest shit and retarded ratings, well you can have mine.

I also can reverse your logic against you, for example:

RTwP: A soup that you trying to eat as fast as possible because it's shit, but you have to pause a bit and chew some of solid ingredients, because otherwise they will stuck in your throat and you die.
TB: A tasty caramel candy that you should take your time while eating it, otherwise you can break your tooth, but careful eating is rewarding by sweet taste and you don't feel to rush ahead and swallow candy as whole.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
My comparison for TB is that it is what it is. On its own, it sucks and needs to be cooked well. Wasteland 2 onwards (KS age of CRPG) with countless modern TB CRPG shows that when not cooked well, TB can range from sucks to bland. It breaks the flow of combat, it is fairly boring tactical wise due to overwhelming advantage to player (with most challenges being playing stats bloating the enemies). It is what I am been saying since several pages ago. Cooked well or supported by good side dishes (e.g. in case of Underrail with its strong character building) it can be tasty.

Rinslin Merwind

Erudite
My comparison for TB is that it is what it is.On its own, it sucks and needs to be cooked well
You are double idiot, because:
1)"it is what it is" is your brainwashed brain that cannot comprehend stuff like "preferences" and "you can be wrong"
2) ANY FUCKING COMBAT SYSTEM should be properly implemented ( it doesn't matter TB, RTwP, RT and etc) otherwise it will suck.
And wtf is shit like "Tb breaks flow of combat", because TB IS a combat. It's like complaining about chess being slow, what the fuck.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
I guess it is expected with western civilization whose idea of food is a slab of meat with salt and pepper and cooked nearly raw

Better than eastern civilization whose idea of food is eating actually raw shit or put it all in a soup.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom