Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild for Wii U and Switch

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
my experience with BOTW was:

- wow, this game is amazing. this is the best open world game ever made! It's the best immersive sim ever made! you can cut down trees, blow wind into sails, make kindlin for fire, cook food!

then about 20 hours later, after finishing the 2nd divine beast:

- ...i don't know if i care to keep playing. this shit is kinda boring and it's all built on gimmicks. fun game but... definitely not the classic i thought it was, more like a well-done experiment.

i still think it's worth playing but you wring out everything the game has to offer less than 20 hours in, and since there's not really any story to at least bait you into continuing to play the gimmicks are basically all the game has to offer. In terms of "open world games" though, it is at least much better-designed than the typical Ubisoft fare.

Slaver1

Savant
BOTW is a highly over-rated game. In the long run it provides neither immersion nor mindless fun. I think a game like the Witcher 3 shits on it from a dizzy height from nearly every angle but hell, maybe there's something I'm not getting about its appeal. I swear there's a direct correlation between high soy intake and the ridiculously high critical scores this game (it's more of a tech demo) has attained.

Tigranes

Arcane

- wow, this game is amazing. this is the best open world game ever made! It's the best immersive sim ever made! you can cut down trees, blow wind into sails, make kindlin for fire, cook food!

- ...i don't know if i care to keep playing. this shit is kinda boring and it's all built on gimmicks. fun game but... definitely not the classic i thought it was, more like a well-done experiment.

i still think it's worth playing but you wring out everything the game has to offer less than 20 hours in, and since there's not really any story to at least bait you into continuing to play the gimmicks are basically all the game has to offer. In terms of "open world games" though, it is at least much better-designed than the typical Ubisoft fare.

Doesn't that go for every open world game?

I loved it, but I played by saying "OK I'll just wander around see what I find, I'll cook when I need to, I'll climb that area if I want to, I'll skip that ravine if I want to".

I definitely don't think you should play it in the sense of 'clearing' areas or collecting all those acorns or whatever

Also yeah weapon durability is a non-problem you will NEVER run out of weapons and also it is a helpful way to ensure you remain in scavenging mode instead of using the one supersword the entire game anyone who complains about it is smashing their swords against rocks all day or something I don't even know

What the sequel need is to go with the Majora's Mask treatment.

So condense the content - so not just a shorter map with more density of content but also instead of 100+ shrines give us 10 proper dungeons, they don't need to be all related to the main quest, in fact most of them should be optional but reward the player with a unique power/item/weapon - and make actually good side quests - the contrast between the main quests quality and the level of agency they provided against the tedius, cookie-cutter, fetch quests that was the side content is ridiculous.

Then I would say they should remove leveled enemies (make it like gothic), expand the bestiary obviously, expand the alchemy system a bit to have more effects and design more interior areas (seriously the lack of even things like caves makes the game world a bit more boring after a while).

I think where BOTW succeeds is in impressing sheer scale on the player. Massive mountains and vistas for their own sake. Because of this I don't think "condensing" the map as a correction of the game really works, but I agree that it may be something they'll have to do anyway for a sequel. Just because it would feel like a re-hash otherwise.

Sentinel

Arcane
I have decided that this game is shit. The open world is empty, there is no progression (why the fuck do they give you the glider so early), the rewards are pathetic, armors trivialize the weather system, link is invincible, the shrines are repetitive as fuck for no reward, the story doesn't pay off, the final boss is an environmental hazard at best, the soundtrack is weak, travel is boring, side quests are mmo tier.

It's not worth 55 quid. I'm happy to say I did not spend any money on it.

I like the cut of your jib. BOTW is a pretty tech demo run on a tablet. A Zelda game it is not.

Almost 1 year anniversary of my judgment that BOTW is shit. Glad to see I was vindicated. I also bought lots of TP in January 2020.

Now, go try Xenoblade Chronicles 2, Slay the Spire, or Stardew Valley. All three are better games on the Switch than BotW.

Silva

Arcane
Hey, is there a download where I can get BOTW on a PC emulator in a ready made package ? I remember getting it this way a couple years ago and it worked well (my son even finished the game), but can't find it now.

Sentinel

Arcane
You're probably looking for FitGirl's repack of the game. Although be aware that the version of CEMU she packages BOTW with is outdated as fuck.

That was pretty much my experience with it, too. I got very bored with around the 3rd beast and just couldn't be bothered to play anymore. It was a good experiment but needed more focus, I think the next game will be much better.

You 2 sound like 2 storyfags.

The game was great all around, it still had enough of a story to continue playing, but was mostly carried by excellent gameplay: combat, world interactivity, shrine puzzles, climbing, etc.

sullynathan

Arcane
Hey, is there a download where I can get BOTW on a PC emulator in a ready made package ? I remember getting it this way a couple years ago and it worked well (my son even finished the game), but can't find it now.
Just gonna update this post for new people who want to play the game now or in the future, and because some of the links are dead.

Follow optimized video instructions

Get shaders for the game.

Follow guide for enabling Gyro for whatever controller you're using. There's a decent amount of shrines you'll need this for.

All things considered, it works great on AMD now.

You 2 sound like 2 storyfags.

The game was great all around, it still had enough of a story to continue playing, but was mostly carried by excellent gameplay: combat, world interactivity, shrine puzzles, climbing, etc.
On the contrary, I don't give a shit about story in pretty much any game ever. Breath of the Wild felt like a mechanics playground, it just went on for 20 hours too long- as I said, it was good while it lasted, after awhile I just got bored. I often get bored with games that go on for too long, unless they manage to keep fresh - something that BotW didn't do for me. I should also say that I despise crafting mechanics in games, that definitely had something to do with it.

Silva

Arcane
Sully, thanks for the links. Will try them here.

I often get bored with games that go on for too long
Stay away from Persona 5 then. Friendly advice.
The last Megaten game I played was Strange Journey and that was really good. I can't stand Persona after 3.
Yeah, I liked SJ and P3 too but found P4 and 5 super boring (despite helping my son finish 5).

Have you tried Nocturne? Found it very good, if weird at first.

Yep, I played Nocturne back when it came out. It was very good - especially because it was weird. I replay it every once in awhile.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom