Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Ori and the Will of the Wisps

A horse of course

H76ZWr2.png

A horse of course

DraQ that's highly offensive. I created this piece of art myself without any input from other communities. Sad to see you have so little faith in my creative skills.

Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
crappy picture

Ori is an excellent game with more platforming than combat. Hollow Knight is an excellent game with more emphasis on combat than platforming. They both have really nice progression. Very far away from hipster/soyboy shit.

Rain World is good, but suffers from too much hardcore difficulty (IMO). Haven't finished that yet, being a filthy casual with a life outside games.

What's the game in bottom left corner? Looks a little bit like the sheep from BaBa is You, but that wouldn't fit the metroidvania theme.

It's also missing another quite good puzzleplatformer/metroidvania that came out recently: Mo: Astray. Lovely platforming, with an easy mode for people who suck even more than I do. Bit anime-ish story, but workable for such game. Only downside is enormous difficulty spike on some bosses, especially the final one.

DraQ

Arcane
crappy picture

Ori is an excellent game with more platforming than combat. Hollow Knight is an excellent game with more emphasis on combat than platforming. They both have really nice progression. Very far away from hipster/soyboy shit.
:salute:
Though TBH I've found the little of HK I have played somewhat boring.

crappy picture

It takes a while to get going. Opening ~3 hours are the weakest part of the game.

conan_edw

Arbiter
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Pathfinder: Wrath
Finished it couple of days ago. I think the main appeal of the first game beside the storytelling and art is the platforming which I also found really enjoyable and improved upon in the sequel. Though, I still feel the tree escape sequence in the first game was more enjoyable than all of the current ones, but they are still great.
I think I like the combat better now but it's still not that special and the lack of variety of the enemies make it more lacking but I understand it's not the focus anyway. Music and art are still really incredible but I didn't find the story as captivating as the first one.
Final fight was really great and possibly the best part, I enjoyed every bit of it and it provided some decent challenge especially the mid-air segment. If HK sequel end up releasing this year it will be a really nice thing.

Last edited:

Ivan

Arcane
Left my thoughts in the "watcha playing" thread, but I'll come here to vent about autistic shit: I fucking hate when 2d sidescrollers take control of the camera to pan and preview an upcoming area. LIKE WTF LET ME EXPLORE THE SPACE, DON"T SHOW ME WHAT'S IN STORE. Also, they pull a Revengeance and force Ori to walk for muh drama.

pEGdYIwBDd_r9I5Zuju7lFprLoje11x8AnvXGLYt_LwRh-GFiHo4PabSoil-AAAf7UUkZg49nCsnVCu_giEUzr0UuN4aor07fVKqwEzalEphJGuGUHKb9mV4yYpZRJtANVI8DUG5q4N6Sd9I5O7L__WOopl-NlP64js

Last edited:

DraQ

Arcane
crappy picture

It takes a while to get going. Opening ~3 hours are the weakest part of the game.
If so I will probably play it sometime else (given praises for muh lore I probably will at some point).

At 3h mark you are already doing the first escape sequence in the first Ori IF you are exploring exhaustively.

DraQ

Arcane
Left my thoughts in the "watcha playing" thread, but I'll come here to vent about autistic shit: I fucking hate when 2d sidescrollers take control of the camera to pan and preview an upcoming area. LIKE WTF LET ME EXPLORE THE SPACE, DON"T SHOW ME WHAT'S IN STORE.
Eh, that's tolerable workaround for player not seeing what character should and allows for more adventurous design without forcing player to perform leaps of faith that may or may not kill them.

Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
OaWotW makes you walk maybe 3 times in whole game - beginning, when you find your owl friend, and at the very end. While I hate not having my jumps available, the total sum of those sequences is maaaaybe 60s. So it is forgiven Ivan. I was much more pissed off at the worm escape sequence and the very high accuracy required in couple of sand dashes.

DraQ, HK only get great for me once I got the long dash (basically flying). That unlocked some really cool areas of the map. Also map in HK pisses me off, could use little bit more detail. Having to buy pins is nice. As for story - it's ok, but I wouldn't call it very original or that engaging. It has this really lovely vibe I felt when first playing Dark Souls though, so not complaining. Also, you can completely ignore all the lore and just have fun fighting and platforming.

Ed123 you didn't tell me what the bottom left game is on your picture. I'm curious.

It's Baba is You
Ok so that's what I thought. What kind of imbecile would put a puzzle game next to metroidvanias? BaBa is you is a fine game (though I didn't finish it), but it's completely different kind of entertainment than the rest of the games.

Ed123 you didn't tell me what the bottom left game is on your picture. I'm curious.

I don't even know what this thread is about. I saw a meme and thought "THAT WILL ANNOY PEOPLE IN THAT THREAD THAT KEEPS GETTING BUMPED" and poasted it. pls leave me alone
If anything, it livened up the discussion a little bit, and led to mentions of other very good games. So less of a shitpost than you thought ;)

DraQ

Arcane
OaWotW makes you walk maybe 3 times in whole game - beginning, when you find your owl friend, and at the very end. While I hate not having my jumps available, the total sum of those sequences is maaaaybe 60s.
In around 30h long game.

I was much more pissed off at the worm escape sequence and the very high accuracy required in couple of sand dashes.
Is it really that hard? Either the sequence is much harder on hard meaning different speed as there almost no damage sources there (and I will learn that the next time I play because I plan doing both games on hard back to back), or... I am actually not sure what might be the problem, because even with shitty KB + M burrow I only died a small handful of times. It was adrenaline-y but Ginso was downright murdery in comparison (and I should be able to escape Ginso without dying by now given some warm-up with earlier parts).

Also, you can completely ignore all the lore and just have fun fighting and platforming.
Yeah, that's kind of the problem here - they are not really what I would call fun in HK.
In comparison just getting from A to B is fun in Ori.
In HK were it not for all the destructible (but not persistent, derp) environment you'd wither from boredom before getting anywhere.

If anything gets me into HK it will be elements like atmosphere and (back)story, maybe world size.

Ok so that's what I thought. What kind of imbecile would put a puzzle game next to metroidvanias?
One that communicates exclusively with memes?

The combat drastically improves inHollow Knight once you get a few abilities. It does start off as very basic and boring though, and initially turned me off the game as well. I always recommend people play up to the City of Tears and then make an evaluation; it’s where the game starts to really hit its stride, and if you’re not starting to enjoy it then there isn’t much point in continuing.

index.php

Arcane
Ori and the Will of the Wisps Patch Now Available
We are pleased to announce our next patch for Ori and the Will of the Wisps is now available to download across all Xbox and Windows devices! If you do not have updates automatically downloaded, please check your device and update your game to the latest version. Check out the Patch Notes below!

Patch Notes
– Improved performance
– Improved map loading times
– Improvements to scene and asset loading
– Map remembers the last zoom position now when reopened
– Fixed the buzzing issue for the vast majority of players
– Fixed bugs with obtaining certain achievements
– Fixed missing characters in Asian languages
– Fixed problems with some controller buttons not working for some players
– Fixed crashing / freezing on start issue
– Fixed several issues where player gets trapped behind closed door after respawning
– Fixed several instances of screen going black at certain moments
– Fixed problems with picking up some of the collectibles
– Many more minor fixes

– Introduced an option to hide HUD, along with a dynamic HUD mode
– Added exclusive fullscreen option
– Introduced resolution scaling option
– Introduced motion blur scaling option
– Introduced controller vibration scaling option
– Fast travel from map is now a separate upgrade purchasable from Opher

Achievements fixes details:
Healthy and Powerful achievements should be granted automatically when loading a save that meets all the criteria.
Destiny, Hardcore Fan, Shardless, Lightless, Look at the Time and Immortal will be granted when the player loads the save slot they finished the game on and watches the epilogue again, as long as they meet the required criteria.

Thank you again for continued patience with us this past month as we’ve worked out the kinks and further optimized Ori and the Will of the Wisps with this new patch. We know it has been frustrating for some but hope everyone enjoys all the fixes included in the latest update. We look forward to polishing the game even more and will keep you updated. Have a fun time exploring Niwen!

spectre

Arcane
I've gotten around to playing this. I had the best time ever with the original Ori.
I don't care much about the metroidvania genre, but this one was just perfect for me.
So, I am greeted by an opening sequence that immediately brings back the good times,
the familiar control scheme and animations that feel organic and fluid. Sure, the range of motion could be a tad better, but we'll be getting there after a few upgrades.
But then, a few minutes later...

Jesus fucking christ? A fucking boss battle? With a fucking big HP ass bar? What the fuck is this cunting shit?
No, I don't want to git fucking gud, I don't want to time invincibility frames and and learn attack patterns, I want to play fucking Ori
Must every goddamn platformer be fucking Dark Souls? I swear, I feel like strapping the fucking developers onto a rocket for making that turd because it seems to have forever soiled gaming.

index.php

Arcane
I defeated most of the bosses on my first or second attempt, and I'm not a hardcore platformer player.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom