Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

TBS Panzer Corps 2

Unwanted

Horvatii

Unwanted
Some of the positive commander traits that work on the tactical level make this into Unity of Command...
Deadly grasp doubles the encirclement penalties and Perimiter contorl cancles enemy ZOC if you stand on a hex, so now you can path through your units to the enemy back to get an encirlement going.
ySxBXf2.png

Btw, encirclement, how does it work...? The dark green units are enemies
0an0hcg.png

Even wrose, I moved my selected tank from north east of my scoutcar and suddenly the game decided that we are encircled now... in white...
gUaG4WF.jpg

Tank is encircled wtf. Is my infantry also encircled? xD
uZFwmqd.jpg

But before I could finish my first Admiralissimo Ironman mission, this happened:
05HlVTM.png

nice path name...

The map looks prettier in the brief under the fog of war and remids you of PG2
83pxGYq.jpg

The visual readability is pretty damn terrible, as said before
sgANWMe.jpg

This is the first "demo" that I uninstall after trying, that I remember...

Also, that bizzness with recons having a "1.5" rate of fire reminds me of that Warhammer Armageddon game, where you cannot tell what the unit attack numbers mean because of the overloaded complexity. Thats not good.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
I played a bit of the polish campaign and it feels a bit on the meh side. Very unrealistic lol,tanks are useless and bombers and artillery do almost no damage,which is retarded. It seems that only the infantry units are a bit useful. All the tanks get their asses handled by infantry which full on retardation,and not even talking about anti-tank infantry.

I played a bit of the polish campaign and it feels a bit on the meh side. Very unrealistic lol,tanks are useless and bombers and artillery do almost no damage,which is retarded. It seems that only the infantry units are a bit useful. All the tanks get their asses handled by infantry which full on retardation,and not even talking about anti-tank infantry.
you guys just are not using your units right then. Tanks are useful and bombers are too, you have to use actual combined arms strategy for them to be effective however. You can't just beat things up with tanks over and over, especially head on, unless they are soft targets out in the open.

And terrain matters, and entrenchment and suppression matter, and only some units can suppress and un-entrench, and using recon for spotting helps artillery and bombing, and having engineers next to entrenched enemies helps in the attack, and surrounding causes suppression, and level bombers causes suppression which last the entire turn. You have to use all the units in combination and they become very effective as a force, you can just run up and smash a tank into things, especially as germany in the beginning of the war, germany has weak tanks.

anyway, the game is actually more complex than people think, and then they complain about it being simple. I think half the people might not really understand how to play it correctly, or believe it is more simple than it is. I mean its not super complex, not like world in flames, but its also not super simple either, there are a lot of subtle things that add up.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
not all that is true, especially because 88's no longer work well on smaller aircraft like fighters
Cool story bro. Moot point anyway, since it's still not really worth it and you need a trait to get good results.
also suppression is way more valuable than you seem to realize
Yes, suppressing a bit of strength on an airplane if you're lucky is super valuable. Especially compared to spending the slots on units that win you the game, including units that will outright delete the aerial threat when it appears.
Half-tracks for pioneers take up an entire extra spot
You're a bit special, I made this point precisely saying they cost a point. And yes, giving mobility, survivability and stat boost to your most important units is 10x the investment.
if you do that for very one of your infantry its an incredible waste of resources.
And what's your rationale for using infantry other than pioniere in current campaign, unless you're playing low difficulty and larping? Grenadiers might be useful on the defense, but again, I'm talking about what we have now.
encirclement
Yeah, some of the situations are really silly, like units encircling each other. Also, it makes baiting the silly ai even easier. It's really sad that in 2020 we still have the same "can't play to win, just to deal as much dmg when possible" ai that we had in the nineties.
Also, that bizzness with recons having a "1.5" rate of fire reminds me of that Warhammer Armageddon game, where you cannot tell what the unit attack numbers mean because of the overloaded complexity. Thats not good.
It's a bigger overall issue - the game just takes too much influence from other, worse, games instead of focusing on being an evolution of PC1.
New to this type of game?

Tanks work more or less the same as always - they are good for their firepower and mobility, but you cannot attack close terrain/entrenchments with them, although still use them for encircling and mass attack bonus. With overrun and good heroes they are easily op and what you use with sp art and tac bombs to clean the map outside of cities. There's a trait that gives tanks increased movement and ability to move through small rivers which is hilariously good. Traits need major overhaul in general, but if you're struggling now then definitely pick it up, I think it even costs only 1 point lol.

Artillery is a bit weird in PC. It did good damage in PG, but here it's used pretty much solely to suppress and destroy entrenchments. They want to make a big deal out of the encirclement mechanic, so attacking cities head on is absolutely brutal now so you do need that suppression. Destroying entrenchments is relatively minor, on higher difficulties (and probably lower, too) to be effective you need pioniere and they ignore entrenchment anyway. Artillery is also good on the defense, but similarly to at support it doesn't come into play often enough to be of notice. All of this makes arty a relatively niche unit that's super-expensive, but rather necessary. Not ideal, but the game is what it is. Oh, a more advanced tactic is using art as bait, as ai absolutely shit their pants in excitement when they see an opportunity to attack your arty and they will do completely stupid kamikaze attacks against it whenever they can. Can be useful in certain situations.

Tac bombers definitely do dmg, unless you use them to attack infantry in cities. They're great tank support since they're effective against enemy armor and there's no better target of opportunity striker, because they can hit vulnerable units in places other units can't. Strategic bombers are less effective flying artillery, they used to be super meh in PC1 outside of ship hunting, but now they are a bit better because their ability to destroy supplies combines well with encirclement.

Last edited:

jebsmoker

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In I helped put crap in Monomyth
Any reason to play this one instead of free mods for Panzer Korps 1 Comrades?

if you want every beer-and-pretzels wargame under the sun in your collection, this game is is pretty worthy - and it's pretty fun, too. it's very much SSI's Panzer General with a Unreal Engine 4 coat of paint. but if you want to play more than just the Wehrmacht campaign, hold off for half a year or so. the mission design in the Wehrmacht campaign is tight, but i want *more*; specifically, i want an soviet campaign, a japanese campaign, and a chinese nationalist/warlord/maoist campaign. if PC 2 already had those off the bat, it would basically be one of the best beer-and-pretzels wargames in years

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
Any reason to play this one instead of free mods for Panzer Korps 1 Comrades?
Currently, no. Unless you didn't play this kind of game since forever and going through the same German campaign really excites you. Also, I don't believe I'm saying this, but PC2 needs serious balancing (tm, r, lol) when it comes to three things: core slots, heroes and commander traits. Probably victory conditions too, since no victory grading + copious amount of turns sucks major balls. There are some nice changes here and there, but nothing major. Graphics suck and while it doesn't happen for me, looking at the forums seems like the game can bre really tasking on your pc.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
you guys just are not using your units right then. Tanks are useful and bombers are too, you have to use actual combined arms strategy for them to be effective however. You can't just beat things up with tanks over and over, especially head on, unless they are soft targets out in the open.

And terrain matters, and entrenchment and suppression matter, and only some units can suppress and un-entrench, and using recon for spotting helps artillery and bombing, and having engineers next to entrenched enemies helps in the attack, and surrounding causes suppression, and level bombers causes suppression which last the entire turn. You have to use all the units in combination and they become very effective as a force, you can just run up and smash a tank into things, especially as germany in the beginning of the war, germany has weak tanks.

anyway, the game is actually more complex than people think, and then they complain about it being simple. I think half the people might not really understand how to play it correctly, or believe it is more simple than it is. I mean its not super complex, not like world in flames, but its also not super simple either, there are a lot of subtle things that add up.
New to this type of game?
LoL no,my complain was not that i don't get the game or it is hard. My complain is how detached from reality is and how arcady feels. I am well aware of how to take cities,which make the gameplay pretty tedious. You just run to the next city,encircle it and then drop some bombs and attack. The game is a rock paper scissors while in war there is such retardation,some units are far superior than others. Tanks were used in actual combined forces with the infantry to provide cover while pushing in to town or village. They were the cavalry of 20th century,a decisive force on the battlefield that was never enough. Diminishing its role to just "muh you park it behind the town so they feel encircled" is an insult to the player lol. And don't get me started on the artillery,the greatest horror for a infantry man. When that thing was singing you knew that a bunch of dudes are shitting bricks a few kilometres away. Whole battles were won and cities levelled with that shit lol. The whole suppression system looks like some retard watched too many action films where people scream suppression fire a lot. If those thing actually did some damage to the city and didn't let the enemy be just "muh reinforce to full" next turn and you need to bomb them yet again because their position bar when to full.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
Well, this game ain't realistic, that's for sure. But imo it captures the overall idea of combined arms, blitzkrieg and different uses for different unit types rather well.

And tanks are very much a decisive force, with overrun back and some decent heroes they completely wreck anything that's not hidden in towns, forests or hills.

There is this trend in this type of game to make everything do less and less damage and for enemy units to just retreat time after time to reinforce. I agree this sucks, but PC2 isn't as bad as OOB in this regard.

Overall, just play PG2 and maybe check what's happening with Open General. You'll get better graphics, sound design, atmosphere, deadly artillery, tanks with overrun and 2 range for better models, best overall flow in the (sub)genre by far, heroes that are unique and useful but not op and much more. Also PC1 is definitely worth trying, it has better balance between different unit types than PG2 and is much more modern hardware friendly of course.

This game could get much better with some patching and care, but looking at the dev and publisher's record I wouldn't be surprised if they just started pumping out overpriced content dlcs without improving the game itself.

Last edited:

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Yeah i looked up the first game on YT and it looks far superior to this thing. Fuck this franchise reminds me of sudden strike and its modern garbage version. The decline is real.

jebsmoker

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In I helped put crap in Monomyth
Yeah i looked up the first game on YT and it looks far superior to this thing. Fuck this franchise reminds me of sudden strike and its modern garbage version. The decline is real.

shiiiiiiiitttttttt, sudden strike. the non-fireglow sudden strike game sucks so bad. hell, even 3 is far better than 4

mbv123

Arbiter
Why would anyone play this when PC1 still plays well enough and has shit loads of more content with all the dlc? From what I've seen, PC2 has pathetically small maps, only one basic german campaign and 3d looks like garbage.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Sooo i decided to ditch the polish campaign and try out the african one....and it is pretty good. Shame that i haven't seen a full on water mission tho. It would be better game with some jap and Stalin campaigns. Also the music on the Georgian mission is pretty good.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
Lol, encircling mechanic is completely broken. You make a breach in a defensive line, you put your hardened unit in there to form a spearhead and it gets auto-encircled instantly without enemy doing anything, despite being supported and connected to your other units. "9,28/13 King of Wargames is back! (IGN)".

I struggle to understand how combat calculation/prediction works in this one. Example: I see a full strength t-34 standing in the open without any aa support. I target it with my full-strength stuka and the prediction is 0-4, I attack and the game rolls 4. I then attack it with my panzer III, dealing 1 dmg and some suppression and in ai turn it attacks my tank bank, suffering 1dmg again. As soon as my next turn start, I target the 4 strength, suppressed tank, still with no aa support, with exactly the same stuka and prediction is now 0-2. Ok. I saw the devs directly denying baking in low dmg modifiers for damaged units (idiotic idea that OOB had) on steam forums, but something funky is definitely going on, especially with aerial combat.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Lol, encircling mechanic is completely broken. You make a breach in a defensive line, you put your hardened unit in there to form a spearhead and it gets auto-encircled instantly without enemy doing anything, despite being supported and connected to your other units. "9,28/13 King of Wargames is back! (IGN)".

I struggle to understand how combat calculation/prediction works in this one. Example: I see a full strength t-34 standing in the open without any aa support. I target it with my full-strength stuka and the prediction is 0-4, I attack and the game rolls 4. I then attack it with my panzer III, dealing 1 dmg and some suppression and in ai turn it attacks my tank bank, suffering 1dmg again. As soon as my next turn start, I target the 4 strength, suppressed tank, still with no aa support, with exactly the same stuka and prediction is now 0-2. Ok. I saw the devs directly denying baking in low dmg modifiers for damaged units (idiotic idea that OOB had) on steam forums, but something funky is definitely going on, especially with aerial combat.
There is a slider in the options about that shit,if you like you could make it a raw number. Also later on you can't kill some tanks without fucking encircling ,fuck those SU series and the Stalins lol. My heavy panzer 4s were doing like one damage at the time.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
Yeah, I know, there's a deterministic option in PC1 too, but that's not what General games are about:obviously:

it defiantly gets progressively harder to kill units as they take damage. Lots of games model this, and it makes some sense. People whine about PG being a 'puzzle game', then people whine about it being not a puzzle game. People just whine.

first release of the new Grand Axis Campaign. They are calling the Grand Campaign for the Germans 'Axis Operations', and it seems like maybe they will be focusing on allowing you to experience many of more obscure allies and battles as well as the larger ones as the war progresses, so maybe more focused DLC on Romania, Italy, Norway, Finland, Crete, Hungary etc as well as the major scenarios...the next DLC after this Spanish Civil war is going to be 1938 Czechoslovakia..... so that is interesting because I do not think that has ever been in a computer war game that I am aware of.

Supposedly DLC will be:

1: Spanish Civil War
2: Axis Operations 1939 Czechoslovakia
3: French Invasion Germany 1939 Saar Offensive
4: 1939 Operation White Invasion of Poland
5?.......................................?????

Is there anything else they could conceivably add before 1939 Poland? Italian Invasion of Abyssinia?? When did that occur? China? That would not really fit 'Axis Operations'..china and abyssinia happened before spanish civil war, so I don't think they would go backwards

edit:

so I just looked up. Italian invasion of Albania happened in 1939, they could maybe do that, but it does not really seem to fit with their design which is that whatever troops you manage some core of them stay with you and follow you to the next DLC like a RPG. So the condor legion troops in Spain make sense, but some Italian troops in Albania would have no reason to be in your core Poland invasion, so the early Africa stuff probably won't happen.

But I do think they will eventually release an Italian grand campaign, lots of people want that. I would want that. Probably not before USA, and USSR at least and maybe British too, then maybe Italian. I would be happy with Italian next, but they will probably do an ally grand campaign next, either USSR or USA. I would prefer Britain myself though.

Last edited:

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
Oh, just remembered I wanted to post some broader impressions about the game after I crawled to the end of the campaign. But the thread, unsurprisingly, died so I forgot.

Anyway, I see they're doing Civ VI with this and the super duper premium edition will cover this dlc that was, all by accident I'm sure, split in two and another 24 will follow. How slitherine of them.

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
PC 1 has user made Italian campaign from Ethiopia to England, and this one is good with lots of alternative scenarios, events and Italian OOB, only problem having to survive the 1942 - July 1943 gap until Kursk whey you finally got P-26/40 tanks which are on pair with Shermans/early T-34s.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Oh, just remembered I wanted to post some broader impressions about the game after I crawled to the end of the campaign. But the thread, unsurprisingly, died so I forgot.

Anyway, I see they're doing Civ VI with this and the super duper premium edition will cover this dlc that was, all by accident I'm sure, split in two and another 24 will follow. How slitherine of them.

Never pre-order DLC when you don't even know what it'll be like. I've seen quite a few people disgruntled with their choice in purchasing the Field Marshal edition now that they saw that the first one is the Spanish Civil War.

Never pre-order DLC when you don't even know what it'll be like. I've seen quite a few people disgruntled with their choice in purchasing the Field Marshal edition now that they saw that the first one is the Spanish Civil War.
I am happy to see spanish civil war and more obscure battles instead of same ones we always get. Seems like no matter what they choose people will complain though. One reason they said they wanted to do spanish civil war despite wanting to try and do new battles was in order to try and differentiate many types of infantry units and add that into the game. For example you will have militias, mine laying/trap laying units, and mixed units with trained soldiers mixed with untrained soldiers and then the overseas militia types who were attracted to that war. But it may allow there to be partisan and security units later in the war since they have some base for doing it here.

Last edited:

if they actually do a grand campaign for Axis, USSR, USA, Britain, Italy, Japan, and Maybe Axis Minors along with a few other add ons I could see them making 40+ DLC if people were buying them..lol

I never finished the main campaign, because it was just the same old thing, I stopped at the end of Africa.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom