Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software Bloodborne. Discuss or die!

Black Angel

Arcane
What surprised me more is the Tiny Tonitrus. He basically oneshot those Undead Giants while they're somewhere in half HP. Do Undead Giants has innate weakness against lightning or it's Tiny Tonitrus insanely scales with Arcane?

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Just finished the fight with Maria. Whoa. Nice one. Reminds me of Sir Alonne and a little bit about Artorias: the ballet, having to time everything just to get a single hit, but having to retreat afterwards... I also like the nice little touch regarding the doll.

Continuing now to the Fishing Hamlet. So far there has been no area in this game which would be 'unfinished' like Izalith or lacking in complexity. I hope this one continues the trend, this game is really something; I already hope to replay it on the PS5...

Perkel

Arcane
Never understood what is good about Maria. She just seems like random boss.
Now Ludwig is amazing.

Elwro

Arcane
Well, three different phases, each one keeping you even more on your toes than the previous one... a delightful feeling of accomplishment afterwards. With some bosses I really like the feeling of ballet when you time everything perfectly for an extensive period of time...

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Lady Maria of the Astral Clocktower is the best boss fight in all of soulsbourne.

She is an incredibly fair boss (no immunities or other garbage, she gets stunned and knocked down by your attacks the way a human would), with a moveset similar to the player. Like Gascoigne this creates a very dynamic and hectic fight, while still having a perfectly readable opponent with very clear hitboxes for the attacks (unlike say, ludwig who merely screeches and flails around like a madman). Perfect example of this is her pistol, which can do a really fast, hard to dodge shot, but you can also see if she has the pistol readied, so you know you need to be pro-active about handling it.
While she has multiple phases, each phase feels like it is actually the same fight, using the same rules, it's just that the tempo and precision requirements increase. And there's no fuckery with the healthbar across the phases either.

It also just looks really good, and Maria as a character is built up beforehand, so you're not just fighting a super big pig or something.

Elwro

Arcane
I'd like to understand scaling in mixed damage weapons, e.g. the HMS. Does increasing strength / skill only add to physical damage and increasing arc only adds to the arcane damage? Probably, but would like confirmation (have only used a Fire-gemmed Saw Spear and the Tonitrus so far)

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
I'd like to understand scaling in mixed damage weapons, e.g. the HMS. Does increasing strength / skill only add to physical damage and increasing arc only adds to the arcane damage? Probably, but would like confirmation (have only used a Fire-gemmed Saw Spear and the Tonitrus so far)
Yes, that's how it works. Each stat point gives a percentage of its base damage (physical for Strength, Skill and Blood, elemental for Arcane) as bonus damage. The scaling rating determines how big this percentage is. However, you are still getting a percentage of the base value: this means the even with an higher scaling rating in Arcane you might still get a bigger damage increase investing in Strength (because, usually, physical base damage is higher than the elemental). You can find complete information for all the weapons here.

Then you need to consider how different gems work: you have gems that increase only one type of damage and gems (the nourishing ones) that simply increase all the damage types. This means that weapons like the Tonitrus greatly benefits from any nourishing gem.

Matador

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Orphan of Kos is the only Souls boss I haven't killed. The second phase is next level retardation.

I haven't ever given up any >souls boss, but without flasks, after certain point I didn't bother to go farming vials to beat that ugly random fucker. And I don't want to cheese him with the trick making parries before he transforms.

Maria is not a hard boss, but she is fantastic. from gameplay, animations, music and narrative perspective. Top 5 From software boss IMO.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Orphan of Kos is the only Souls boss I haven't killed. The second phase is next level retardation.
I've heard this complaint a lot, but I don't understand where it comes from. Is it because he is extremely fast? He still gives some big windows of opportunity to deal damage.
To me, he is among the best Bloodborne bosses, combat wise.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
I've heard this complaint a lot, but I don't understand where it comes from. Is it because he is extremely fast? He still gives some big windows of opportunity to deal damage.

For me, it was because he kicked my ass repeatedly, was at the end of the game when I'd done everything else except the final bosses and was optional and I wasn't interested in his drop. I felt like I probably would've won had I kept at it, but after a certain point, I just said to hell with it and finished the game again. I sort of regret it and would probably try again if I replay it, but the last time I went to, I petered out shortly after doing a rush for chikage.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
What surprised me more is the Tiny Tonitrus. He basically oneshot those Undead Giants while they're somewhere in half HP. Do Undead Giants has innate weakness against lightning or it's Tiny Tonitrus insanely scales with Arcane?
Certain Hunter Tools have amazing Arcane scaling.

The most important difference between weapons and tools scaling is that, while weapons hit their final softcap at 50 Strength/Skill (and after that you gain almost no more damage from those stats), certain tools scale very well all the way up to 99 Arcane.
Even better, some of them (like the Tiny Tonitrus) scale better from 50 to 70 than before. Others (like Accursed Brew, Augur of Ebrietas and Blacksky Eye) have a lower scaling between 50 and 80, but ramp up after 80.

You can find all the data here.

Black Angel

Arcane
while weapons hit their final softcap at 50 Strength/Skill (and after that you gain almost no more damage from those stats), certain tools scale very well all the way up to 99 Arcane.
Even better, some of them (like the Tiny Tonitrus) scale better from 50 to 70 than before. Others (like Accursed Brew, Augur of Ebrietas and Blacksky Eye) have a lower scaling between 50 and 80, but ramp up after 80.
N-NANI?!

Silva

Arcane

For me, it was because he kicked my ass repeatedly, was at the end of the game when I'd done everything else except the final bosses and was optional and I wasn't interested in his drop. I felt like I probably would've won had I kept at it, but after a certain point, I just said to hell with it and finished the game again. I sort of regret it and would probably try again if I replay it, but the last time I went to, I petered out shortly after doing a rush for chikage.
You didn't met the Shark Brothers, have you?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom