Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

DOOM Eternal - the sequel to the 2016 reboot - now with The Ancient Gods DLC

Generic-Giant-Spider

If they ever did do a Quake game please Christ stick to the tone/atmosphere of Quake 1. Now don't get me wrong, Q2 is a solid game, great game actually, but it doesn't have that personality the OG Quake does.

And maybe that would be a great time to release Mick Gordon and enlist the talents of Trent Reznor or something. Maybe get some goddamn MUSIC you can jam to in this fuckhouse. HOORAH.

Biscotti

Arbiter
Patron
A) They're not going to stick to Quake's tone, that's almost a given at this point.
B) Take a good long look at both vanilla Quake and the kind of stuff people have been mapping with limit removing ports. Now look at Eternal's level design. Need I say more?

That said, this is all just pointless speculation. I don't think it'll happen.
Few people know Quake for its singleplayer (unjustly so I might add), just take a look at Quake's modding scene and general presence in popular culture as opposed to Doom's. I doubt it'll be deemed appealing enough to reboot.

DeepOcean

Arcane
I hate the gameplay because of how fucking in love with its gimmicks it is. I just know, I can just envision these dweebs sitting around planning things out and probably some latent homosexual came up with "LOL THIS WOULD BE FUNNN!" or some egomaniacal bitch made animator was like, "Why would I make these beautiful fatality animations if you're just gonna rocket launcher right through them?" So because of those tyrants you must endure the Doom Eternal gameplay loop. Do you need health? Glory kill a stunned enemy. Do you need armor? Light them on fire. Do you need ammo? Go Leatherface on the schmuck.

Now this wouldn't be bad as some optional thing, maybe a way to spice things up. The problem is, it's not optional. In fact, it's intended that you play this game the way they want you to play it and that's by being some turbo autist that has to MANAGE RESOURCES. Now I know some people like this system but those people are braindead mooks and let me tell you why.

This system, this loop, it is the nucleus of everything bad here in Doom Eternal. The zombies you see wandering around all the time during a gauntlet battle, they're not there for any reason but to be a mobile medkit/ammo crate. They serve no other purpose. Do you know why this gameplay loop exists in the first place? Because the developers here have zero fucking clue how to do item placement and pacing. This all goes to map design. You see in real Doom, the maps were like labyrinths and elaborate mazes. This let them put things around the place thoughtfully and if you didn't use what you were given well, then you'd properly eat shit. In this game because if they went that traditional route (assuming they could make a map that didn't suck) then you'd almost always run out of ammo because... huzzah, the encounter/enemy placement is fucked. In fact, there is no real enemy placement. The way you fight enemies is by entering a room and then hearing Mick Gordon's BLOCK ROCKING BEATS play telling you it's COMBAT MODE now. You'll proceed to face wave after wave of enemies like you accidentally entered a Survival mode, and the enemies themselves vary from Revenants and Mancubi to Hell Knights and Arachnotrons that spawn in from who the fuck knows where. Because you can't chainsaw anything bigger then six feet, you're forced to run around most of the time like a moron to RIP AND TEAR some zombies and keep the fight going. Don't worry about what ammo you need because they drop all the ammo except BFG. There are item pick ups scattered around and medkits of yore, but they seem like a novelty placement than anything else. Because you'll go through an area most of the time once ever you don't have to make a mental note on where they are. Just run over it, if you pick it up then good and if you don't then oh well proceed through the gate of no return as always.

And then there's how tedious shit is outside of that accursed loop. Gauntlet style fight, run through corridor/platform section, repeat. This is the bulk of what you're doing in this game. Over, and over, and over, and over, and over again. This wouldn't be too much of a problem if 1) the combat gameplay loop mentioned above wasn't total goatshit and 2) the platforming didn't suck dick. I don't know who asked for this platforming thing. Maybe it was a sick Make-A-Wish kid who pleaded that they put platforming into their next Doom game even if everyone else that is going to live on has to suffer. If that's the case I hope an Archvile brings that punk back so I can personally dropkick them in the teeth. Everyone knows the platforming is gay, no need to drone on about it.

I also don't like the 37 progression systems they stapled on here. Runes, suit upgrades, weapon mods, mods for the weapon mods, mods for the mods of the weapon mods, some other shit I stopped noticing after 3 hours and just clicked at random. I'm playing Doom you pussies, just give me a super shotgun.
Why did you expect they would make an incline game all of sudden with a proper level design when it was obvious from the marketing material they were making a subpar Serious Sam clone with demons the same way Doom 2016 was?

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
BTW, credit where credit is due and all that jazz but this game's optimization is actually pretty impressive. The loading times are actually faster than the original.

Gotta say though, all those gimmick mechanics are burning me out already, to the point i'm just ignoring the lot of them, all though that's probably not gonna last on nightmare.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Why did you expect they would make an incline game all of sudden with a proper level design when it was obvious from the marketing material they were making a subpar Serious Sam clone with demons the same way Doom 2016 was?

2016 is a very different game in a lot of core ways, so liking (or disliking) Doom Eternal has a lot less to do with what you thought of 2016's game than you'd think. I loved that game and find this one thoroughly meh.

Fucking Khan Maykr fight. :argh::argh::argh: This annoying damaging floors throwing cunt. Stupid gimmick boss fsdjkfdsjlkfsdlkfsdkasljkljk
Almost makes me wanna turn on that "Sentinel Armor" crap I've disabled before starting the game.

Last edited:

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Just got the dash. I like it. It's retarded that you have to run so slow but hey, better than nothing.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
I want to be able to appreciate the level art from new angles, find stuff earlier than official, develop a "relationship" with the level, if that makes sense.

Speaking of that, am i the only one that has an hard time actually getting immersed in the level? I had the same issue with Doom 2016. Many times i had to stop playing and just run around an empty area, trying to soak up the visuals. At first i figured it was my old boomer eyes that were having trouble adjusting to all the extra details those new games have but i think it might be because psychologically i'm not actually looking at the level as a "real" place, if that makes sense.

I mean, like in the first level where you get dropped on earth i think i should have been "wowed" by the giant lumbering in the distance i but felt nothing at all. I did however liked the part with the big doors opening with the famous heavy metal chorus shit.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
It's amusing that you are supposed to use it to fly around in the air but i'm just using it on the ground pretending i'm actually running for a change.

Last edited:
So finally done with Khan Maykr. That was the first fight that actually forced me to use Precision Bolt, to shoot the heads of the stupid drones as that's the only way to get them to drop ammo. The most annoying shit about that fight is how she would regenerate her shield really fast as soon as I stopped shooting for few seconds. And I had to stop shooting to gtfo when she'd make the floors burn. Rocket launcher with lock-on mod ended up being my favorite way to take down shields and saved BFG ammo found in that arena for the last shield.

Last edited:

Generic-Giant-Spider

EXCELLENT QUESTION, DEEPOCEAN. ONE THAT I CAN ANSWER VERY EASILY:

I'm an idiot.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
This is the first game I remember choosing to use a console style "weapon wheel" over the number keys, because I love the chaingun and this game is too fast to hit '7' during a fight. Despair.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
This is the first game I remember choosing to use a console style "weapon wheel" over the number keys, because I love the chaingun and this game is too fast to hit '7' during a fight. Despair.

Maybe if they didn't occupy all the keys around the wasd with retarded shit we could have done what everybody has done in every online shooter ever: rebind that shit.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Maybe if they didn't occupy all the keys around the wasd with retarded shit we could have done what everybody has done in every online shooter ever: rebind that shit.

Also they force every weapon to be used due to low ammo and specific enemy weaknesses, so you can't just rebind dumb weapons you don't like to the end.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
So i tried to kill a cacodemon by unloading 60 rounds from the assault rifle and i couldn't take it down. Are they seriously expecting you to kill every single one of them by dropping a bomb in their mouth? Like, for the whole game?

Got a plasma rifle i'm going to try it on the next caco i see.

sullynathan

Arcane
So i tried to kill a cacodemon by unloading 60 rounds from the assault rifle and i couldn't take it down. Are they seriously expecting you to kill every single one of them by dropping a bomb in their mouth? Like, for the whole game?

Got a plasma rifle i'm going to try it on the next caco i see.
assault rifle missiles or rocket launcher

I actually love Doom Eternal, it made me play Doom 1/2 again, i've already beaten 3 wads in the last two weeks.

i just have finished the third one, Memento Mori.Good wad overall, great soundtrack, there's some confusing levels but still good nevertheless.

I've also uploaded my favourite track from Memento Mori:

This is real music, no edgy tryhard noisy metal.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron

The sticky bomb alt-fire with the normal shotgun acts just like a grenade with them, and is very useful in general. I know the double-barrel is awesome and all, but that sticky bomb for one ammo is pretty great too.

Protips:
Best mods:
Shotgun: Sticky. The fast shooting has usage for the close quarters arachnotron in the first level and that's about it. Throw a cold grenade on a group, use the flame thrower and spam grenades to max out your HP and Armor. Does decent damage and continues to be a good chaff clearer.
Rifle: Micromissles. You don't really have time to be sniping in this game much, and even when you do it does jack shit damage. The Shotgun's sticky grenade is better for hitting weak spots (mostly every mancubus arm ever because they rape you instantly otherwise). If you can't properly arc a sticky grenade on mancubus arm from 200 feet while falling then fucking kill yourself you controller-wielding retard. Micromissiles does decent damage early game. Whole weapon kind of drops off by late game, chaingun is just better.
Plasma Rifle: Heat Blast. More good AoE to use vs. groups on fire or just in a panic. Also your best way of getting glory kills. Everything else has the trouble of doing too much or too inconsistent damage to get a good feel when you can glory kill. Plasma Rifle you just let off a short burst and hit E as soon as you see them glow.
Rocket Launcher: Lock on. This thing shreds everything. 2 lock-ons will take out almost anything. Yes it bleeds your ammo fast, spam chainsaw constantly.
Supershotgun: No options, but I recommend upgrading it quickly. I don't actually like the super shotgun much in Doom 2016 or 2020, but in 2020 the maxed out grappling hook sets things on fire which means free Armor. Your flamethrower takes like 4x as long to recharge as the super shotgun's hook.
Ballista: Arbalest is OK. Get it by the time you see cacodemons.
Chaingun: Mobile Turret.

Runes:
I go for glory kill speed boost, further glory kill launch, decrease equipment recharge. Reasoning is that I want to cover ground in glory kills, teleporting 20 feet forward for a glory kill and then running away at hyper speed has definitely saved me. Quicker glory kills is not that important since you do get invulnerability during it. Also both the speed boost and the range bonus apply to chainsaws. When you are in the air over an arena being able to teleport down and chainsaw for ammo can be useful

Gameplay:
- BOTH GRENADES ARE ON SEPARATE COOLDOWNS!!! Also id is fucking retarded, why is there a "use grenade" button and a "switch grenade" button when there could just be a use frag and use ice grenade button? Anyway rebind these to something you can quicky go 1 2 1 on in order to throw both and annihilate groups of shit. I put them on my 4th and 5th mouse buttons.
- Get Faster Dashes 1st. From there spend the entire rest of the game single tapping the dodge as soon as it recharges. Dodging every .75s reduces the difficulty by about 80%, the other 20% is not getting cornered or body blocked.
- This game is heavily about cooldowns. Get in a habit a pressing flame whenever its available and you are shooting, and chainsawing whenever there is something weak and its available, etc.
- In most of the big fights (the ones that count for points and show up on the map) the only thing that will move you forward is killing the big demons. The small ones are just indefinitely respawned. This is where powerful, quick long-ranged attacks from the chaingun or rocket launcher's lock on come in handy. Gameplay is mostly about bouncing around in a circle and taking pot shots at big things. In smaller fights you find a teleporter to keep running through or change your height constantly.
- When in doubt, ice grenade and lock on missile spam kills everything.
- Except Marauders. Fuck Marauders so god damned much. What a shitty design. Double barreled shotgun -> switch to ballista then back works (make sure to use your power punch if you got it), but there's no good way at all to handle these when they start showing up with help. It's like being asked to simultaneously play DMC while the rest of the game is going on.

Use sticky bomb, and yes. Cacodemon is one of the demons that is most obviously designed to be hard-countered by a specific weapon like sticky bomb launcher. If you ignore it its one of the most deadly enemies in the game but if you sticky bomb it then you can double jump, dash towards it, hit E to cover another 20 feet, get health and armor (if you also use flamethrower), then you get another dash and double jump out of it. They practically help you clear distance.

Last edited:

Generic-Giant-Spider

I actually love Doom Eternal, it made me play Doom 1/2 again, i've already beaten 3 wads in the last two weeks.

I will say that it did put me in the mood to play through Quake 1 and Doom II again in as vanilla a state as possible. It's why I got so critical of the map design in Eternal because playing through those two games reminds you very quickly how a great map can go a long way and then there's the vibe of those two games in general. You just can't beat the classics.

abija

Prophet

Also they force every weapon to be used due to low ammo and specific enemy weaknesses, so you can't just rebind dumb weapons you don't like to the end.

Cmon... at least try a bit. You have 8 weapons + 2 binds for mod/equipment swap. Using default binds you have easily accessible in wasd setup: 1, 2, 3, 4, q, f, alt, z, x, mwheelup, mwheeldown and usually a side mouse button. Way more than enough.

I will say that it did put me in the mood to play through Quake 1 and Doom II again in as vanilla a state as possible. It's why I got so critical of the map design in Eternal because playing through those two games reminds you very quickly how a great map can go a long way and then there's the vibe of those two games in general. You just can't beat the classics.

It's definitely worth playing both games, i think i'm addicted to doom 2 right now, i've been playing Doom 2 non-stop in the last two weeks.

Personally, i'm not a fan of the original ID wads because i've played them way too much in the past.But overall, the community wads are just bigger, prettier and harder.

Every new wad i play is like a new place to explore or a challenge to beat, that's why i don't get burned out(at least, not yet).

It's amazing what the community can do with this old game:

dTrgyqt.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

1.jpg

5.jpg

Hurt_Screenshot_8.png

9tIVS.png

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom