Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Why is Dragon's Dogma a top 101 rpg?

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
Notice the "third person" there? Sekiro and Nioh are both the best in their genre, for different reasons. I still hold that opinion. No, I don't include DMC/Bayo/NG in the same genre of DS/Sekiro/Nioh/LotF/Surge/etcetc.

Notice how third person isn't a genre and Sekiro is an action game regardless of whatever sub-genre you want to attribute it?
So in the end you are saying that Sekiro has one of the best action combat systems ever made.

I'm a fanboy because I disagree with an inconsistent opinion that thinks an aspect of rockstar games is bad in rdr2 but when it's present in the user's favorite rockstar game it's suddenly a non issue?

I am pretty sure I never claimed that a flaw of that magnitude is a non-issue even in the R* games I like.
And with that said, in RDR2 that problem is taken to a whole other level of stupidity.

Sentinel

Arcane
Notice how third person isn't a genre and Sekiro is an action game regardless of whatever sub-genre you want to attribute it?
So you're telling me you think Bayonetta, DMC, Sekiro, Dark Souls and Nioh are all in the same genre of videogames?
So in the end you are saying that Sekiro has one of the best action combat systems ever made.
No, I'm saying Sekiro has one of the best third person action combat systems ever made, along with Nioh. For different reasons.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
So you're telling me you think Bayonetta, DMC, Sekiro, Dark Souls and Nioh are all in the same genre of videogames?.

Are you dense?
The Action genre encompasses a wide range sub-genres that include, but are not limited to: shooters, hack 'n' slashes, figthers, action-adventure, platformers and even stealth games.
Whatever the sub-genre it belongs to doesn't much matter because you are saying that Sekiro does have one of the best action combat systems ever made.

EDIT:
Oh and yes DMC, Ninja Gaiden, Bayonetta, Severance, Nioh, Sekiro are all part of the same sub-genre: hack 'n' slash / beat 'em up.
The differance is games like Nioh, Severance, For Honor and Mordhau are a more slower paced, high commitment games that focus on a more grounded and level headed approach to combat. And DMC, Bayonetta, Ninja Gaiden, God Hand and MGR are a faster paced, low commitment vertent of the genre that relish the spectacular and chaotic nature of their combat.
While Sekiro is a mutt that can't decide in which camp it wants to belong.

Last edited:

Sentinel

Arcane
So you're telling me you think Bayonetta, DMC, Sekiro, Dark Souls and Nioh are all in the same genre of videogames?.

Are you dense?
The Action genre encompasses a wide range sub-genres that include, but are not limited to: shooters, hack 'n' slashes, figthers, action-adventure, platformers and even stealth games.
Whatever the sub-genre it belongs to doesn't much matter because you are saying that Sekiro does have one of the best action combat systems ever made.
So, you're telling me that you would compare the combat systems in Bayonetta, DMC, Ninja Gaiden, to games like Call of Duty, Zelda, Ori and the Blind Forest and Splinter Cell? I don't know what to tell you.
I said Sekiro has one of the best combat systems ever in its sub-genre of games. I stand by that. I never said it has one of the best action combat systems ever.

Black Angel

Arcane
This is *RPG* Codex, but to see someone like DJOGamer PT getting so autistically butthurt over someone's preference in fucking *Action* games is amusing. Even the old fucks who put the RPGs of past decades on a pedestal aren't this obnoxious.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
I knew it was a matter of time before a Sekiro fanboy would show up, and of course it had to be the most autisc one.
I not butthurt at whatever game you people enjoy. Not even when TemplarGR made those walls of text defending skyrim and fallout 4 I was I annoyed. Quite the contrary it amuses me.
In fact it's you that's butthurt, because you are forgetting the simple fact that this is the Codex. And in the Codex our prime source entertainment mocking shit games and the people that think otherwise.
This what Templar failed to understand, and why he couldn't take our swagger. :obviously:

So, you're telling me that you would compare the combat systems in Bayonetta, DMC, Ninja Gaiden, to games like Call of Duty, Zelda, Ori and the Blind Forest and Splinter Cell?

No. I was simply saying, before you turned this discussion into genre definition, that your opinions of action game design are not worthy of consideration since you made the claim that sekiro has excellent action gameplay.
Plus by saying sekiro has one of the best action combat systems you are, even if you don't mean it, claiming that the quality of it's gameplay is on same level of other great action games.
And while you can't directely compare these games, since they are part of the same genre, the most fundamental rules of action game design do apply to all them.

Sentinel

Arcane
I don't know if you cannot read, or if you're simply refusing to understand my post because you're embarrassed, but I'll say this:

The question was meant to lead you down a path. If you answer that no, Bayonetta, DMC, NG, CoD, Zelda, Ori and SC cannot be compared, then the next step is to ask yousrself: Why not?
Well, the answer you'll arrive at is because they're not in the same sub genres. Now that you've realized that you cannot compare games in different genres or sub genres, the next step is scoping the question in the context of our conversation: are Nioh and Sekiro in the same sub-genre as Bayonetta, DMC and Ninja Gaiden? Hopefully, you'll answer that no, they're not (unless you're actually delusional). Reaching this conclusion, you'll come across the realization that because they're not in the same genre, they cannot be compared. Now, you apply this to Shadow of the Colossus and Dragon's Dogma, which is the ridiculous comparison that sparked this conversation.

Hence my statement that Sekiro has one of the best third-person action game combat. I set the boundaries here. I did not say of all action games, I merely talked about its sub-genre of games.

Hope this helps, bye.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
I don't know if you cannot read, or if you're simply refusing to understand my post because you're embarrassed,

I've been thinking the exact same thing since the reply to my climbing post

Bayonetta, DMC, NG, CoD, Zelda, Ori and SC cannot be compared,

And I've already answered this.
They can't be directely compared because they are from different sub-genres but since they are action games the fundamental rules to their design (and in some case, similar mechanics) can.

are Nioh and Sekiro in the same sub-genre as Bayonetta, DMC and Ninja Gaiden?

I also already ansewered this (in this very page no less) and again yes they are, the difference is they pursue an oposing approach to their combat.

Now, you apply this to Shadow of the Colossus and Dragon's Dogma, which is the ridiculous comparison that sparked this conversation.

Which again is the easiest one to make in relation to that particular aspect.
All to make a very simple point that even after explaning it 3 fucking times some people still didn't get it.
Besides these games sub-genres aren't that far apart.

jebsmoker

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In I helped put crap in Monomyth
i would rather have one of jeff vogel's crpgs in place of dragon's dogma, but i'll admit that dragon's dogma has been collecting dust in my steam library for ages and i've never touched it. it's hard to say if it's specifically my kind of thing

Terenty

Liturgist
Beat the game after 34 hours.

Hands down the most epic fantasy game i've played. Epic battles with epic monsters, epic landscapes, epic forts, epic dungeons, epic Dragon.

For all the genericness of its setting its infinitely more unique and weird than any Dragon Ages or Elder scrolls.

Lots of interesting mechanics and ideas sadly rendered almost completely useless by fucked up balance(too easy after a couple of hours on normal diff)

If there is a sequel that expands on these ideas and with a proper balance it could be the most hype thing ever

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Let's be honest - you can replace half of the codex 101 with Jeff games and it will be serious incline.

Only about half of Jeff's games are incline, and even then his encounter design is shit.
Ahhh geneforge and avernum series are incline,the rest are mediocre. So 11 good games is more than i could say for most publishers,let alone developers. His newest games are shit tho,i won't argue that. Also what do you mean by bad encounters? Most of the games is about cleaning dungeons. I really like his older games because they look nostalgic and are practical to play and have easy UI.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Also what do you mean by bad encounters? Most of the games is about cleaning dungeons. I really like his older games because they look nostalgic and are practical to play and have easy UI.

Trashy encounter design that is just about samey mobs, and towards the end of the game enemies mostly scale through HP bloat rather than unique abilities.

It's especially bad in the Avadon series but some Avernums also suffer from it.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Also what do you mean by bad encounters? Most of the games is about cleaning dungeons. I really like his older games because they look nostalgic and are practical to play and have easy UI.

Trashy encounter design that is just about samey mobs, and towards the end of the game enemies mostly scale through HP bloat rather than unique abilities.

It's especially bad in the Avadon series but some Avernums also suffer from it.
Fair enough,tho trashy is a subjective thing,i personally don't care about them,it is part of the RPG genre and any game without them is a bad game. They are needed to make the player feel strong. If every single battle is a slog,then you loose the satisfaction of building powerful party and dominating strong enemies. Also i enjoy that catharsis of just cleaning the map and whipping all the enemies while seeing my exp and money grow. I personally really can't get the concept of a trash fights,i never felt that a fight is not worth having in a rpg,i do enjoy to do 100 playtrough in any rpg. If you enjoy rpgs,then why skip a content?!

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
It's not really engaging when 80% of the fights are copypasted and samey and you just go through the rote motions. And when stronger enemies just have higher HP and higher damage, it's also lame. Give them some unique spells and resistances or something rather than just number bloat. It's bad design and I don't find it very enjoyable.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
It's not really engaging when 80% of the fights are copypasted and samey and you just go through the rote motions. And when stronger enemies just have higher HP and higher damage, it's also lame. Give them some unique spells and resistances or something rather than just number bloat. It's bad design and I don't find it very enjoyable.
Sure thing mate,it is as you say. Still to each their own :),i greatly enjoy his games and do enjoy the monotony of the common fight. He does have a lot more unique encounters than most games out there,there are different resistance and immunities,also different mechanics. It is not as monotonous as you make it out to be.

I personally really can't get the concept of a trash fights,i never felt that a fight is not worth having in a rpg,i
Are you sure you're a storyfag?
Oh i enjoy both of them mate,i do dislike that combat fags want make rpgs only in to combat and strip away the story and the exploration. Speaking of combat,did you tried Iron Danger? It is only strength is the unique combat mechanic,it is very satisfying,should give it a try.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
i do dislike that combat fags want make rpgs only in to combat and strip away the story and the exploration
What rpg actually had the story and exploration stripped away so severely?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom