Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Pre-Release Thread [EARLY ACCESS RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Elex

Arbiter
So basically:
RT and TB are meat and veggies (order irrelevant).
RTWP is vegan meat substitute.

Sounds about right.
yes, what rtwp argoument forgot is that real time RPG with no pause exist.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
It was a screenshot he posted where he had like 6 or 8 camping supplies.
Yeah it was some talk about camp supplies and i posted a google pic that had a lot of supplies and from there it became a joke that i play on story mode. In reality i played on hard but cheated and didn't used supplies.
giphy.gif
Are you really that dumb or are you just pretending....weirdo?

If you want to be taken at your word, you need to inspire confidence (which you seem to take joy and pride in not doing).

Harthwain

Magister
Playing without supplies does allow you to rest as much as you want, which invalidates part of the gameplay balance where managing your supplies is important factor for the overall difficulty of the game. Imagine rest-spamming in Baldur's Gate and loading a save each time you're attacked during camp. Compare that to Darkest Dungeon, for example. In Darkest Dungeon getting waylaid after camping can be severe, because the game does not have save system that allows you to reload at any given moment (unless you cheat, but I was never interested in getting around that to know if you can do that or not) and you have limited camping supplies for the duration of the dungeon.

So, yeah "playing on hard, but not using supplies" is somewhat self-defeating.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
fantadomat

You pointlessly antagonize other posters and generally act like a manic troll.

There's a reason why emotional restraint and stoical indifference become traits of the nobility in most cultures, because it inspires the confidence of the rabble.

So when you insist you are a core gamer and that you used a Google image rather than your own screenshot, it doesn't inspire belief.

In contrast, when Vault Dweller (who does embody those traits) posts something, people always believe what he posts.

Gargaune

Magister
SoD wasn't that bad.
You're in the wrong thread, try here: https://rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/trigger-the-codex-with-a-statement.112015/page-78

Jokes aside, I enjoyed the combat (so I enjoyed at least 90% of the game) and some areas were cool, but it's written in a way that's almost impossible to give a fuck about what's going on. I don't remember why, but I know I had fun with the siege part with Khalid.

I thought that wasn't such an outrageous opinion on the Codex anymore. Yeah, the writing was shit and it was pretty linear, but the dungeons were lovely and it had a couple of nice touches, like the loot and the preset travel encounters.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
fantadomat

There's a reason why emotional restraint and stoical indifference become traits of the nobility in most cultures, because it inspires the confidence of the rabble.

So when you insist you are a core gamer and that you used a Google image rather than your own screenshot, it doesn't inspire belief.

In contrast, when Vault Dweller (who does embody those traits) posts something, people always believe what he posts.
Ahhh i never really cared about what you believe or not,fuck you are here for 7years now and i don't even know who you are. I was having a friendly banter specifying things with the people i know from the poe2 waiting/hype thread. If you don't believe that shit,you are free to go dumpster diving in that thread and check it for yourself.

As being antagonistic....well yeah,it is the codex and i am passionate about rpgs. Of course i will get antagonistic with people that hold opposite opinions in certain topics. I don't know what kind of person will take that personally,it is a fucking forum. In some threads we are enemies in other we have the same views as each other and brofist.

Oh and i am confused by your statement. Trust worthy has nothing to do with being antagonistic and rude,those are very different qualities in a man. Are you one of those weirdos that thing "anyone that is rude to me is wrong and lying" ? Call me liar if you find something fake in my posts,not if you find me offensive or rude.

And yeah vault dweller is a good chad,don't see what that have to do with you calling me a liar.

fantadomat

Ahhh i never really cared about what you believe or not,fuck you are here for 7years now and i don't even know who you are. I was having a friendly banter specifying things with the people i know from the poe2 waiting/hype thread. If you don't believe that shit,you are free to go dumpster diving in that thread and check it for yourself.

As being antagonistic....well yeah,it is the codex and i am passionate about rpgs. Of course i will get antagonistic with people that hold opposite opinions in certain topics. I don't know what kind of person will take that personally,it is a fucking forum. In some threads we are enemies in other we have the same views as each other and brofist.

Oh and i am confused by your statement. Trust worthy has nothing to do with being antagonistic and rude,those are very different qualities in a man. Are you one of those weirdos that thing "anyone that is rude to me is wrong and lying" ? Call me liar if you find something fake in my posts,not if you find me offensive or rude.

And yeah vault dweller is a good chad,don't see what that have to do with you calling me a liar.

Not caring goes both ways. I'm only here because I'm bored and don't feel like starting my work yet. That's the limit of my empathetic connection to this conversation.

I also didn't call you a liar (there's no way for me to know that and I lack the emotional investment or the flair for drama to make accusations like that of strangers). I stated a clinical fact that you don't inspire confidence, so it doesn't matter if you are an honest man to your core or a unrepentant liar. People can't feel the difference.

I'm also not suggesting you should change if you like being like this (there are zero stakes and you won't get anything for it), but you should assume that you're going to be on the receiving end of humanity's instinctive tendency to assume that other people are bullshitting them.

Skepticism of anonymous posters on the Internet making claims about their prowess is sort of the normal reaction.

Last edited:

jackofshadows

Magister
Now you're talking about Action/RPGs? It's ridiculous, then let's take it further and argue about TB mode for the nuDOOM.
Are you illiterate or just dumb?

Because I don't think I have written what you think you have read.
This
For single character RPGs best make them RT, preferably FPP or TPP with actiony controls, for best timing, movement and targetting precision.
For party based, just make them TB or Phase-Based for unintrusively multiplexing the control flow between different characters.
is quote from your original post. If you had in mind Action/RPG only then of course RT is best for them, I think no one argue about it so my hyperbola regarding nuDOOM was about that.

But I've guessed you was talking about RPGs in general and get curious why you're dismissing single RPGs where TB is a very appropriate mode which gives them tactical depth like AoD, ATOM, Fallout, Eschalon series and others.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
fantadomat

You seem to have missed VD's younger years posts about BG2, lol. May I direct you to Roquey?

Delterius

Arcane

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
The statement by felipepepe isn't to be taken seriously. If CRPGs started as turn based because of technical limitations, this doesn't explain why they have been returning to turn based in the last few years.

Part of the explanation is consoles, but another part is that it's simply easier to read turn based combat.

jackofshadows

Magister
You can't have an action game be TB, those are opposites.
Can't agree more, that's what I meant.
And action RPG is also a nonsensical word salad that doesn't mean anything, but that's a different matter.
I agree and generally not a fan of endless genre affiliation arguing so pretty cool with various teg mixing, especially when dealing with complex genre such as RPG. But I prefer that *Action/RPG* designation regarding games like TW3, ME1-3, F3-4 etc where player's skill in terms of shooting/reacting/dodging matter more than significance of the game's systems. It's a pretty common designation, isn't it?
Part of the explanation is consoles, but another part is that it's simply easier to read turn based combat.
That and the coop. Real time coop games are different story entirely.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
And action RPG is also a nonsensical word salad that doesn't mean anything

Deus Ex 1

where player's skill ... matter more than significance of the game's systems

Actually in an ARPG the player's skill and the character's skill must be of equal importance to succeed
If it has like you said then any action game with a simple progression system(s) would be an ARPG

Last edited:

jackofshadows

Magister
Actually in an ARPG the player's skill and the character's skill most be of equal importance to succeed
If it has like you said then games like DMC and Doom would be ARPG's
Well, that's exactly why I'm "not a fan of endless genre affiliation arguing".

First, difficulty options must be taken into account. While on the highest ones it's common that player suppose to dig into game's mechanics in addition to his skills in order to succeed it's wrong applied to the lowest. Player can succeed on'em either thanks to his "action skills" or simply by using the right gear while being slow as fuck and making tons of mistakes.

Second, I disagree about equality in general. In some games despite the action-like basis, progression/gear/other systems matter a lot, like let's say in F:NV (dialogue check win excluded) but in others, like heavily lvl-scaled Bethesda games it might not matter much.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom