Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Retro blobber Bloodwych now on Steam

Curratum

Launch discount. Never played it, any opinions are welcome.

ProphetSword

Arcane
Developer
I was just playing a version of this on my Commodore 64 last week.

Bloodwych.png

The version for sale looks like a port from some other system (Amiga or Atari ST, maybe?). Honestly, the game seemed kind of clunky and you could only pick from pre-generated characters. I didn't find a way to create characters.

To be fair, I only played the game for about ten minutes before moving on to something else, and I had never played it previously. Hopefully someone will have a more informed opinion about it that can share some knowledge. Maybe I'll give it another go if it's worth the effort.

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
Regarding characters, there are 16 characters avalaible, one for each of the combinaison of one of the 4 classes and one of the 4 spell elements. Mages get spells faster, adventurers normally and archers and fighters slower. You start with one and can recruit the other ones, you need to convince them to join the party but I don't think I ever got into a situation where the ones I wanted to recruit refused to join my party.

karnak

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In I helped put crap in Monomyth
I was just playing a version of this on my Commodore 64 last week.

Bloodwych.png

The version for sale looks like a port from some other system (Amiga or Atari ST, maybe?).
DOS version.

The Social Justice RPG Warrior once tried to beat the game. He didn't manage to finish it (maybe it's a good sign?).

I played it a lot on the old ZX Spectrum. I think it was the first Dungeon-Crawler which allowed co-op.
Huuuuuuuuuge game. My only point against it right now is that it doesn't have Automap (which is good for those folks who are under quarantine maybe?)

Still it's a nice gem for old-school dungeon-crawling fans.

And here's a cool introduction to the game:

Last edited:

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
The versions I tried had mouse-key movement only, which especially in a blobber can become an utter chore

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA
Wasn't there remake done in mid-90s or so called Hexx: Heresy of the Wizard? Anyone played it?

Last edited:

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
Wasn't there remake done in mid-90s or so calledHexx: Heresy of the Wizard? Anyone played it?

Wikipedia says the same, but from vids you can see it's free-moving, no more grid-based movement, which would make it even more cumbersome for moving around (it's clearly no UU). I remember the reviews scores when it came out where pretty mediocre, if it was reviewed at all

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA
Wasn't there remake done in mid-90s or so calledHexx: Heresy of the Wizard? Anyone played it?

Wikipedia says the same, but from vids you can see it's free-moving, no more grid-based movement, which would make it even more cumbersome for moving around (it's clearly no UU). I remember the reviews scores when it came out where pretty mediocre, if it was reviewed at all

Yeah, I think it was reviewed in finnish gaming magazine at the time, but can't remember what they said about it or the score, so probably mediocre.

Mortmal

Arcane
So it adds Nothing to the already available version on various abandonware sites since decades now , no visible improvement from the amiga version either..What's the point ?
Game was Worth playing back then, but now not even an upgrade, really. It's not especially harder to finish than dungeon master or chaos strike back, if crpg"addict" wasnt able to finish it its probably because he's not interested into gaming but only in an ego boost.

Andhaira

Arcane
I played it back in the 90s. Couldn't play it more than a few minutes due to a system/game bug; not sure what it was. But the game always intrigued me.

However from what little i played it was unimpressive, sadly. Could be wrong though.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
u-https-tse1-mm-bing-net-th-id-OIP.jpg

Wow, it's barely visible from the steam link but after following it, i remembered that box cover, there was a thread about it, this one was absolutely forgotten because of the game, which i never played but the art was quite good and drawing this kind of monster with a weapon was quite unusual too.

It takes me way back.

unseeingeye

Cleric/Mage
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
A tad annoying that the Steam/GoG version is the dos version and not the amiga/st version with the second dungeon via the data disks.
What the? I didn't even know there was such a thing! That's so cool, I read that you can even convince monsters to join your party and that it introduces 8 new spells.

I've had the GOG version for a while, and have set up in my emulation drive copies of the Atart ST, Amiga, ZX Spectrum and Commodore 64 versions but I've only ever actually played the DOS version. Also have the "sequel" setup, either in LaunchBox or in a front end like D-Fend Reloaded.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Last edited:

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Same. During my Dungeon Master phase and Death Bringer gaming this would have been Golden. I see aspects of both here.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Interesting different loading screen:
5fyUcUG.jpg

C64
KkCcFM6.jpg

Hmmm... new avatars? (Only focussing on the most important)
DaYKl8Y.png

Tasha yarr & Riker ... AGAIN!??

Ah! Handsome fella.
xgf3zth.jpg
Damn...I'm looking good.

A horse of course

I had to go to a few other sites to find the amiga. Myabandonware goes fucking anal with shutting down dls. You know Switchblade? That genesis port was a KS project. I couldn't even find the jaguar version which is a conversion. I did locate the some of other ports:
Mobygames
Platforms
Amiga, Amstrad CPC, Antstream, Atari ST, BlackBerry, Commodore 64, Genesis, Jaguar, Windows, ZX Spectrum

Blackberry? Ok. Fuck antstream, fuck Genesis (buy gog for that). There is a Switchblade II also.

Myabandonware basically wipes every single instance of a game as soon as any one port becomes available for digital purchase, even if the port is a "remastered" or "updated" version that is totally different or inferior to the original. Perhaps it's a reasonable attempt to try and reduce the likelihood of legal attention, but as far as I'm aware that never helped other abandonware sites who tried the same tack. End of the day, any game that isn't formally, offically, 100% legally considered free for distribution could get a site shut down.

unseeingeye

Cleric/Mage
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
I had to go to a few other sites to find the amiga. Myabandonware goes fucking anal with shutting down dls. You know Switchblade? That genesis port was a KS project. I couldn't even find the jaguar version which is a conversion. I did locate the some of other ports:
Mobygames
Platforms
Amiga, Amstrad CPC, Antstream, Atari ST, BlackBerry, Commodore 64, Genesis, Jaguar, Windows, ZX Spectrum

Blackberry? Ok. Fuck antstream, fuck Genesis (buy gog for that). There is a Switchblade II also.
I just bought the recent addition of Switchblade on GOG for less than $3; I'm aware of Switchblade II but I guess they aren't offering that as of yet?

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
I remember finishing Hexx, but never Bloodwych.
My DOS version constantly corrupted map itself, walls became portcullises, disappeared or appeared in the passages.
Also Legend (The Four Crystals of Trazere) and Son of the Empire are set in the same world.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
I know I have those as shareware on a disc or cd.

Game: Bloodwych (1989-1990)
86844-bloodwych-atari-st-front-cover.jpg

Game: Hexx: Heresy of the Wizard (1994)
And it had some cool cover art & disks
12374-hexx-heresy-of-the-wizard-dos-front-cover.jpg

175999-hexx-heresy-of-the-wizard-dos-media.jpg

Game: The Four Crystals of Trazere (a.k.a. Legend) (1992)
149423-the-four-crystals-of-trazere-amiga-front-cover.jpg

113637-the-four-crystals-of-trazere-dos-front-cover.jpg

who got that polo shirt?
351723-the-four-crystals-of-trazere-amiga-other.jpg

I must admit those Taiwan disks look pretty sweet.
324862-the-four-crystals-of-trazere-dos-media.jpg

Game: Worlds of Legend: Son of the Empire (1993)
15156-worlds-of-legend-son-of-the-empire-amiga-front-cover.jpg

349603-worlds-of-legend-son-of-the-empire-amiga-front-cover.jpg

So interesting the timeframe of when these came out. I had issues playing this type of party isometric games (usually getting slaughtered). HEXX slipped by me and I only noticed bloodwych at underdogs back in the day. My software stores were piss poor for amiga (akin to a back alley behind an unmarked door like a drug house... it was an adventure just to find it). PC stores... never saw them.

"Image Works was a Mirrorsoft publishing label." And by that they mean Mirrorsoft LTD. And there I see Dungeon Master. Well well well.

"Overview
Mirrorsoft was the Mirror newspaper group's own software house. It mostly published games, but also some eductional and productivity software, notably the Fleet Street Publisher (a DTP package).

It was also responsible for the labels Image Works (original games), PSS (strategy games, after aquisition of the former Personal Software Services in 1987) and Mirror Image (for re-releases at budget price).

It also published many bigger US companies in Europe (like Spectrum Holobyte, FTL and Cinemaware)."

And that's why. I recall seeing many different packaging for Dungeon Master which I always recall FTL. You never really look at publishers and distribution as a gamer unless you really love that archival lore.

353988-hexx-heresy-of-the-wizard-dos-extras.jpg

when professor X Is possessed by Magneto even your rippling muscles won't save you.

Last edited:

madrigal

Augur
Does Bloodwych have the best magic system integration of all time in dungeon crawlers?

Not simply damaging spells, but even they have variety. Firepaths to set traps, arcbolts to cast off walls and kill yourself. Wychwind to deal aoe and kill your partner.

When traps are sprung and monsters corner you, you have:
Deflect to deal with magic missiles. Spamming confuse or terror to allow you to escape. Formwall to create barriers for protection. Or illusionary walls that only you can see through, good for surprise attacks in two player.

If you get trapped in a closet magelock to lock the door to allow you to rest and prepare for battle.

Utility spells:
Armour
Levitate to avoid traps and pits and reach inaccessible areas.
Alchemy to transmute spare weapons into gold.
Beguile to get better prices when trading with people.
Invisibility.
Compass to help you deal with the maze and getting turned around.

Although inspired by dungeon master when it comes to magic Bloodwych does it better.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom