Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Why VR can't(won't) win.

Unwanted

a Goat

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Edgy Vatnik
VR is the dumbest idea there ever was in gaming and hereby in this very thread I will share my issues with the concept and why it will ultimately fail and remain curiosity in the future. For that I will consider 2 reasons that have implications on each other in complete isolation, as to make it easier on VR.

I. The adaptability to different games/genres.

In theory you can use VR to do your daily work on excel spreadsheet, but obviously it's not something anyone would actually want to do, which however brings a question - what games will translate well into the new eh... screen system? Obvious first candidate are all sorts of first person shooters, however even early adaptations of "CoD-like" multiplayer shooter have shown that it's too fast and elements like quick respawns etc. make it at times nauseating to large part of the test audience(here I'm only using my memory of seeing an article about it back when OR was still a prototype that wasn't bought by Facebook yet). With the more recent attempts, especially Flop Life: xXxAnusxXx you can see that even idea of letting the player to move fluidly with use of analogue stick is something they'd rather have you to choose, as the default movement mode is "teleporting". Now I suspect it's not THAT bad, but the movement in general is bound to be slower and less fluid than you'd actually want from videogames.

That's just FPP game. The amount of issues the most obvious genre brought VR devs already shows you that we're in for a wild ride. Overall for FPS you can predict they're gonna get slower, more static and more of a "exploration-storygame" than actual shooters, meaning the dreaded influx of STORYFAGGOTRY into yet another genre, rotting it even more than consolitis did.

A place where VR will in my opinion succeed completely are simulators - flight, train, submarine, you name it. I don't think there's much to say here besides it.

With non-FPP games the problem again is that you can do it... but why would you? There's DOTA2 VR, I guess everyone prefers that to normal DOTA oh wait. It won't make even TPP game more "immersive"(what a silly idea it is that it would), obviously strategy games of all kinds are outside of the considerations.

II. The mass appeal

Just because you can make something work doesn't mean it will be bought. Let's say you'll make that CoD:Battle Royale:VR Edition work. It's mass appeal product adapted to new technology. For a mass consumer however, this comes at the steeper price(of at the very least the headset alone) while potentially being nothing burger. Are the VR companies capable of convincing the mass consumer that theirs is the product they should COOOMSOOOM now? Well let's think about it - it's potentially an improvement to gameplay experience that differs only partially from the base product. Meaning that even perfect adaptation of CoD:Battle Royale into VR will be essentially the same game... on 2 monitors strapped to your head. $400 for that one. Oh you're console gamer - I guess you're gonna have to play it with degraded graphics. Oh, you're a PC gamer - well if you don't want to get downgraded graphics better upgrade now(add $400 on top of headset).

This will unleash a vicious circle where nobody will finance a game that actually takes the most out of the little VR has to offer because the more half-assed attempts sold badly and the customer base is smaller, meaning slow death of the systems outside of simulation circles.

Therefore I conclude that VR must be destroyed its creators buried alive in mass graves, which later should be ploughed and covered in salt, as no life shall ever come out of their rotten bodies, rotting with the same vice their brains did as they pushed the VR meme.

Bigg Boss

Arcane
When I was a kid this was VR.

iu

You kids and your complaints.

A horse of course

My top 10 suggestions, in no particular order:

1. CzechVR 251: Angry Missus (Kiki Minaj)
2. CzechVR 096: Bouncing Huge Tits (Katarina Harlova)
3. NaughtyAmericaVR: Gamer Gasm (April O'Neil)
4. VRCosplayX: Queen of the Damned (Canela Skin)
5. MilfVR: Banged my Stepmom (Bridgette B)
6: VRCosplayX: The Road to El Dorado (Gia Milana)
7: CzechVR: Asian Private (Polly Pons/Poopea)
8: VRBangers: Cheerleader Diaries (Luna Star)
9: VirtualTaboo: How I Met my Stepmother (Heather Vahn)
10: MOODYZVR: MDVR-026 (Hitomi Tanaka)

And remember to sub to DarkDreams patreon for waifus.

Mark.L.Joy

Prophet
VR will always have place in niche market for sims cheaper than full setups, other games there besides puzzles and gimmicky will most likely always suck yes but mass appeal may come if they make it simpler to setup most people play shitty phone games ffs.

tritosine2k

Erudite
Romero went on to compare VR headsets to other nonstandard peripherals that have had trouble catching on because they are not included with the base hardware, and he suggested that head-mounted displays and VR controls require too much physical work for many users. "Really the best optimal design for games is minimal input for maximum output," he said. "That's the way that games work best. When you watch people playing with a mouse and keyboard, you see them barely moving their fingers and hands, but on-screen you see crazy movement and all kinds of stuff. Everyone always goes for the path of least resistance, and that kind of input is it. Until it can fix the path of least resistance, I can't see how VR is going to be something that's popular."
https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2014/07/doom-co-creator-john-romero-skeptical-of-virtual-reality-fad/
Called by Romero.

At least we'd get some new controllers out of it but nooooo, puny grippers with tingle effect are the moronism epitome.

Falksi

Arcane
Remember playing that Nightmare game in Meadowhall's arcade. Loved it at first, blew me away, but the novelty soon wore off.

Breathe in the 90's............

Dexter

Arcane
Ah, the fated Cope Thread:
The butthurt this will cause with VRlets is gonna be amazing, we're off to a really good early start!

https://www.roadtovr.com/steam-survey-vr-headset-growth-january-2020/
steam-monthly-connect-headsets-january-2020.png

https://www.roadtovr.com/100-vr-games-exceeded-1-million-revenue/
Cumulative-VR-Software-Grossing-Over-1M-by-Platform-fixed.png

This would be a lot less funny if most high-end VR HMD's weren't sold out since last November and new stock of tens and hundreds of thousands didn't sell out in a few minutes and make Steam buckle like their Seasonal Sales. :lol:

https://www.roadtovr.com/rumor-valve-index-stock-return/
New Valve Index Stock Lasts Less Than a Day, Backorders Reach Eight Weeks or More
Valve expects to run out immediately
By Scott Hayden - Mar 9, 2020

After making new Index stock available today after more than a month of the hardware being sold out, most regions saw the headset and other hardware quickly backordered by eight weeks or more.

But I thought Streaming was the inevitable future? It seems consumers have a choice in what they support with their money after all.

Wipeout tho

Always dreamt of Wipeout VR as kid.
Unfortunately it's PSVR Excl000sive:

When I was a kid this was VR.

iu
That wasn't VR, that was a Monochrome 3D Viewer.

VR won't win because most of us aren't alone in the house. VR won't win because families already won.
Imagine being stuck at home for weeks during a Quarantine without even one VR Headset. :lol:

"Radio/Television/Walkman/The Internet/Video games/MP3 Players/Smartphones/etc. won't win because families"
Like OK grandpa, eat your porridge.

Last edited:

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
VR could be a massive, massive success but it will never "replace" anything. It will be its own thing. There are many genres or styles you can't do in VR, and many people don't want to wear headgear during their relaxation time. The two can co-exist, like singleplayer and multiplayer.

Dexter

Arcane
3 or 4 years on the market and barely 2 million users? Are you trying to prove VR flopped or what?
Another retard that doesn't understand growing exponential trends on Muh Codex? I gotta say I'm not very surprised anymore.

Also those are Active Steam users taking the Hardware Survey every month, there were already 4 million PC Headsets sold Early 2019 before the Index and Rift S were even on the market, it's probably somewhere around 6+ million by now: https://uploadvr.com/nvidia-ceo-four-million-vr/ with more coming: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1271440/Next_Gen_HP_VR_Headset/

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
3 or 4 years on the market and barely 2 million users? Are you trying to prove VR flopped or what?
Another retard that doesn't understand growing exponential trends on Muh Codex? I gotta say I'm not very surprised anymore.

Also those are Active Steam users taking the Hardware Survey every month, there were already 4 million PC Headsets sold Early 2019 before the Index and Rift S were even on the market, it's probably somewhere around 6+ million by now: https://uploadvr.com/nvidia-ceo-four-million-vr/ with more coming: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1271440/Next_Gen_HP_VR_Headset/

Ah yes, the fruits of exponential business growth, every moment now the VR singularity will happen

Dexter

Arcane
Ah yes, the fruits of exponential business growth, every moment now the VR singularity will happen
Are you denying there's an exponential growth about doubling the number of VR users about every year? Do you think Half Life: Alyx will help or stop that trend in the coming months given the general popularity and Hype surrounding it (and the fact that most VR HMDs have been sold out due to it since last November and they're producing them as fast as they can), being the highest rated PC game this year so far and the millions of viewers watching Streams and Let's Plays?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yi7KGA_i2r8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f1SwlsZMUWE

Other than that I'm not sure what your argument is? It just seems like thinly disguised :butthurt:?

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
I'm making fun of you for using exponential when no business grows exponential forever but rather follows at best an S curve and you don't know the saturation point for VR business, which makes your whole yipping amusing when you really have no clue about the real size of your target market

Unwanted

a Goat

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Edgy Vatnik
Another retard that doesn't understand growing exponential trends on Muh Codex?

Basic banal technology improvement rather than a new product like a new phone model sells 60 millions in a year(next gen consoles sold around 20 to 40 millions in their first year). If VR was actually good and fit for the market it would have said more as "the next big thing". That it has some exponentiality right now, doesn't mean it will be sustained. Typically however, successful new products, new technology finds a lot of early adopters(and to repeat myself - smartphones did) - VR isn't one of them.

Furthermore the commercial success is imo just a side of the problem, the bigger problem, which is why it's marked "I" is the how well fitting it is to games, and all things considered it seems that even FPS has to take some compromises when in gameplay department. If I think of the previous-era examples of such "genius" technology it reminds me FMV's, which at some point was also thought to be something amazing by few retards and they tried to at least do something tangentially similar to existing successful products, while it sort of worked with on-rail shooters(all FMV games of this type are shit tho), obviously worked with adventure games, there was one genre that there was one attempt of and it was obvious that it was bad. Forgot the name of the game itself, but it was a fighting game, that turned from the typical free-form fighting game shenaningas into what we'd describe in modern lingo as QTE fest, except with addition of disk-swapping.
Now this kind of reminds me of what I've seen in the new half life, where the game design, AI etc. had to be tweaked to allow for the teleport-style movement. You can turn it off, but obviously this is an FPS evolving into on rail shooter direction, no matter how you frame it, and while that genre imo has plenty of nice games(NES 1990 Punisher one for instance is quite great or at least I remember it being good), it's obviously not what Valve thought they'd make when they started the development. In practice it means that the very company that has resources time and experience to work on delivering the best possible adaptation of FPS genre into VR, delivers something that's much slower, more static and more focused on void spectacle instead of gameplay than the worst "our game will be CoD-killer, we know it will succeed because we're introducing elements from Gears of War" era abominations. We live in a society.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom