Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Divinity What makes a "Baldur's Gate" to you?

What are the features without which a game cannot be a part of the "Baldur's Gate" line of games?

• Total voters

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Outdated fags crying about their RTwP, its the 20s!
Ok grandpa,i will send someone to change your pampers. Also don't forget to take your pills.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Is this true?

One reason was, BG2 in Single Player mode you would make 1 main character, and the rest of the party had to be NPC's you met in the game. If you put Multi-Player Mode then you (the lone player) could create up-to 6 (all) of the party member characters. Run your own custom party.

I've done one or two runs with a custom party, and I find it far less enjoyable. Much better to have your childhood ignorance recruit opposed personalities that lead to conflict.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
The characters annoy me too much, and their stupid voices. But I think part of the challenge is forcing their builds into something decent. If you are starting from scratch it is easy to just make a dream team.

anvi I don't really feel like there is much you can do about AD&D builds after they've been rolled. It mostly comes down to item spread across your party, and how well the classes of your party interact. Custom parties definitely decrease the difficulty, but after Level 8 or so, I can't say I notice much of a difference between a character with perfect stats or sub-optimal (unless they are truly gimped like Tiax). I found the best use of custom parties were to do odd synergies not possible with NPCs, like a 6 man party of only Skalds or Druids.

Self-Ejected

MajorMace

Self-Ejected
Patron
The most distinctive feature of a Baldur's Gate game for me remains the party formation and management. I still remember that the aspect of DAO (as it was sold as BG unofficial reboot) which disappointed me the most was that you could actually collect companions like pokémons, and stock them at the campfire. This bugged me out big time, among all the actual problems DAO had. Same disappointment with PoE, over the writing or simply non-existent monsters' AIs.
Companions system & party management is also what makes BG stand out compared to most party-based hack n slashers.
There's no way this game, or any other I suspect, will adopt this design idea. And it's a shame because it allowed for some actual c&c through picking who you'd adventure forward with.
You can learn more on lilura's authoritative & most savant blog.

almondblight

Arcane
I could gladly live without having to strip 5 magic protection spells in every battle.

Eh, I never bothered using breach or pierce and never had any problems. You can brute force just about all of the combat in the BG games without much difficulty.

Decado

Old time handsome face wrecker
Patron
Codex 2014
Putting it on the goddamn Sword Coast, for one, if not explicitly in Baldur's Gate.
Six party members
2nd Edition rules
Some connection to the Bhaalspawn Saga, even if it's years later
RTwP option
Decent writing and dialog
Carsomyr

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
No. I'm saying the thing I actually said.
You can't realistically expect any D&D video game released today to use 2E. It already wasn't realistic in 2002. Only a very small minority of the userbase would want that.

Decado

Patron
Codex 2014
No. I'm saying the thing I actually said.
You can't realistically expect any D&D video game released today to use 2E. It already wasn't realistic in 2002. Only a very small minority of the audience would want that.

I don't give a fuck. I was asked what I considered the characteristics of a BG game to be, and I provided my opinion.

Elex

Arbiter
Putting it on the goddamn Sword Coast, for one, if not explicitly in Baldur's Gate.
Six party members
2nd Edition rules
RTwP option
Carsomyr
so siege of dragonspear?

Decado

Patron
Codex 2014
Six party members
2nd Edition rules
RTwP option
Carsomyr
so siege of dragonspear?

Caromyr wasn't in Siege of Dragonspear.

But otherwise, depressingly, Siege of Dragonspear is more Baldur's Gate than Baldur's Gate III. Let that sink in for a minute.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
The question was born from the discussion around "is it D:OS3 or is it BG3?"

I'm just curious to see how different features would get rated and see if the Codex has a roughly common view of what constitutes the spirit of the BG games.

Games themed around and taking place in the fictional Forgotten Reams city of Baldur's Gate.

So the name was already a misnomer to me when they released Baldur's Gate II. I can tolerate going to distant, exotic locations in expansions like the Throne of Bhaal or later chapters where you need to pursue the boss to his lair, but not the core game.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Maybe Baldur's Gate is so fucking boring of a town so nothing really needs to take place there. So why name the game Baldur's gate (now a trilogy) if its so damn unimportant. Well, maybe it is important. Has anyone put a list of how many npcs (important or otherwise), quests, important items, hidden features, encounters, and other are located in Baldur's Gate 1-2 and the expansions. A nicely detailed bit on JUST Baldur's Gate the city. Maybe its in the walkthroughs. I think I passed through BG a few times in the Savage Frontier Gold Box games (or was that Neverwinter?)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom