Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Which video game franchise would you buy?

Aemar

Arcane
Let's say you have a ton of money at your disposal and want to invest in a video game company. At the same time you want to make money off a product that has already proven its value on the market, instead of creating something from scratch. Therefore you decide to acquire a video game franchise, since you've been in a THQ Nordic mood lately. Which franchise(s) would you buy?

My choices:

RPGs: Jagged Alliance. I'd most likely attempt to recreate an up-to-date (mainly graphically) version of the second game while trying to remain as faithful as possible to the original product.

Non RPGs: Imperialism. A series of turn-based strategy games that sold quite well back in the 90s (600K units). Last game was released in 1999. No doubt a major source of inspiration for games like Europa Universalis and Anno 1602.

Last edited:

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
My dream game is a space opera Fallout 1/Arcanum, so maybe I'd buy Mass Effect and hire some decent devs to make a CRPG spin-off.

Buying Deus Ex or Thief and getting Arkane staffers to pump a new one out every few years would be cool too.

Falksi

Arcane
Mass Effect is the one with a ton of potential & a shit load of folk already to lap it up.

Dragon Age worth a punt too.

With both I'd erase all events outside the first games + DLC. Start a new story with both, but just refer to what the first games setup, if anything.

Thal

Augur
Buying a franchise is just lack of imagination. These masterpieces are already made. Better to be inspired by them than to make sequels to other people's work.

Personally, I would make a JA2 type game in a fantasy world. Same broad design principles, but with a bit heavier character development, more quest content and dungeons and fully destructible environment.

Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Syndicate - I would update the engine from the first part and make the whole campaign which would be including way more countries. Also add weapons from the sequel.

Abomination: The Nemesis Project - Make graphics better, add turn based mode and make changes to the campaign for more varied missions.

Incubation - great puzzle/strategy mixture, which would be a merged original with expansion pack.

Crusader: No Remorse - since the original is weaker the No Regret, I would hire Pyke as the visual supervisor and add ton of weapons, gruesome death animations and FMV cutscenes. Andrew Sega and Dan Gardopée would make two separate soundtracks, which could be chosen from options.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
The Elder Scrolls
Would then proceed to erase the last 3 games and make a true sequel to Morrowind, but with good action gameplay.

Far Cry

Would make a reimagining of FC2 with gameplay and AI more similiar to MGS3+5. Plus instead of being open world it would mission based with a open ended hub where you could buy/sell/upgrade equipment, interact with the different factions and could do some side quests.

F-Zero
Would simply do a sequel to GX, now with multiplayer, powerful track creator and VR support.

Reality

Learned
If I'm going full cynic - Fire Emblem - I know too much about the map design, and ease of cutting corners and still getting praised by just appealing to a new fanbase.

If I wanted to make a good game I'd take Twisted Metal probably.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The Elder Scrolls
Would then proceed to erase the last 3 games and make a true sequel to Morrowind, but with good action gameplay.

I would do that too. Start over with The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion, turn Cyrodiil into the jungle it was supposed to be, with an epic Imperial City. Have the Oblivion plane be an actual open world map to explore exactly like the normal world, too.

I'd also buy the Total War franchise and make a 17th century title in the series with better battle AI and an open file structure like Rome 1 and Medieval 2 to make total conversion mods possible. Pike and shot warfare, colonialism, religious wars in Europe. Play as a European power, as Ottomans, as Indians, as native American tribes, African tribes, Southeast Asian kingdoms, etc... huge variety of different factions all with unique unit rosters. I'd even go a bit ahistorical and have remnants of Mesoamerican empires existing, so you can play with Aztecs vs Spanish pike and shot formations. Add in civil war mechanics so things like the English Civil War or the 30 Years War happen.

SerratedBiz

Arcane
Mechwarrior.

Suikoden.

Quest for Glory.

Betrayal at (Krondor, Antara)

Warhammer: Dark Omen and I'd just make spinoffs into other races but in the same engine.

Silly Germans

To get a sequel that i actually want in competent hands Heroes of Might and Magic. To make money i'd get Half-Life.
Regardless of its quality, Half Life 3 would probably sell simply due to its brand, so for a single sequel id
say its a pretty save bet.

Onionguy

Educated
Mass Effect is the one with a ton of potential & a shit load of folk already to lap it up.

Dragon Age worth a punt too.

With both I'd erase all events outside the first games + DLC. Start a new story with both, but just refer to what the first games setup, if anything.

Clever idea, but I have a better plan. I would purchase those brands, then announce that they are finally back after many months of anticipation, then hype it all up to ten and keep all the soyboys waiting for years and years to come. I would feed on their tears, obviously never actually releasing it. I would then give dragon age and mass effect for free to codex's gentry, just to see what happens.

As for my own choice, I would acquire Diablo franchise and return it to David Brevik and POE devs.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom