Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Legend of Heroes Thread - Trails of Cold Steel in the Sky

Slaver1

Savant
After having played TOCSI & II (and parts of TITS1), slipping into this game is so unbelievably cozy. Falcom's world building and extensive writing capabilities are monumental- no-one is really touching them there. And yes, Aurelia is a very interesting specimen.

Miner 2049er

Scholar
I'm so burnt out on the series. I have Cold Steel 2 on my rig for years and just thinking about starting it up fills me with dread. Hours upon hours of meaningless drivel. Do we turn left or right ? Now after the decision is made, is everyone still on board ? Fie ? Laura ? Jusis ? Tell us why you want to continue the trip. Really Codex ?

Somberlain

Arcane
Zionist Agent
I'm so burnt out on the series. I have Cold Steel 2 on my rig for years and just thinking about starting it up fills me with dread. Hours upon hours of meaningless drivel. Do we turn left or right ? Now after the decision is made, is everyone still on board ? Fie ? Laura ? Jusis ? Tell us why you want to continue the trip. Really Codex ?

Just play something different, man. Video games are a hobby, not a job :positive:

Miner 2049er

Scholar
It would really improve the quality of my life, if you wouldn't assume, I'm doing something I don't like. Now I like to bitch about a game and enlighten you that the Cold Steel series is overfuckinrated. I don't hate the games, but the longer I played the more it dawn on me, they are not going to become my favorites. I thought the dialog heavy focus worked much better in the Sky games. And after 3 Sky games and 2,5 Steel games I just can't stand them anymore, but I wish you all a happy honeymoon.

Deleted member 7219

Yeah, CS games and LOH ones in general are just flying off the shelfs worldwide with how overrated they are.

I know. And those damn Gamespots, PC Gamers, Eurogamers constantly giving them rave reviews.... can’t look at any gaming website these days without reading coverage on the Trails games. So overrated aren’t they?

Slaver1

Savant
It feels like Falcom are firing on all cylinders with TOCS 3... and goddamn is the music good!

Anyway, so hows it doing on Steam? I think we extrapolate the number of reviews and times it by 100 to get an impression of sales? ... so 210 X 100= 21-000. Seems like the usual level of interest for this increasingly underrated series out of the gate or is it a bit below par?

rashiakas

Cipher
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Just finished act1. Some random thoughts:

Good:
New Systems make combat even more enjoyable. Really like Brave orders and subquartz thingy.
Finaly some new locations. This was my main complain about CSII, the endles recycling of locations.
Fast travel everywhere. No Backtracking for fetchquests anymore.

Neutral:
New Class VII. Its not that I dont like the new characters, but not being able to play with Laura and Fie all the time sucks.
Same MO as the other games. Being a Teach doesnt feel any different. I kinda hoped theyd bring something new.
Better Mech Battles. They seem more interesting this time around, but I still dont like the guess what limb is vulnerable right now system.

Bad:
Some Dialogue is voiced, while others is not. I dont mind this per se, it was the same in I and II, but this time they managed to mix it in the same cutscenes. This is really bad imo. Also, some voices are so bad it hurts. Fucking Mint per example is just pure shit.
Lots of references to stuff I dont know about, especially with the Bracers and the new students. Am I supposed to play Tits before this or what? Also repeated mentions of "him" and "that" in a ominous way, that is totaly retarded, noone talks like that.
HAHAHAHAHA, some of the characters are so THIHIHIHIHIH LETS FIGHT over the top stupid GHIHIHIHIHIHIHI LOOK AT ME I AM SO CRAZY that skipped the dialogue. This was never so bad in the other 2 games, and I really hope shit like that red haired psychopath dies off fast.
Overall, the antagonists are getting worse and worse. Where are great characters like crow and vita? Right now every bad boy/girl is like OH LOOK AT ME I AM SO STRONG HURR DURRR AND I COULD KILL YOU IN 10 SECONDS HURR DURR BUT LETS FIGHT HURR AND EVEN WHEN I LOSE THAT FIGHT I AM STILL STRONGER HURR DURR AND TELEPRT AWAY DURR HURR BUT I AM SO MUCH STRONGER HURR ... urgh

Overall I enjoy it, but it has nothing on CSI. I really hope it gets better storywise.

Jinn

Arcane
Seems like the usual level of interest for this increasingly underrated series out of the gate or is it a bit below par?

The problems with Trails series sales, particularly on PC, are quite simple. They are staggered greatly after the console versions and they are part of a sprawling, multiple hundreds of hours series that kind of demands you play the prior installments to get the full impact of every most recent one. While this is a major draw of the series, it also makes it less likely that newer installments are going to fly off the shelf. On the other hand, it's a way to create a solid fanbase that will ultimately garantee sales trickling in through the years of every title as new fans are formed, and older fans catch up. It's something I hope is well known and established in Falcom's sales model, and that it never leads to internal disappointment with new release sales, especially in the western releases.

On that note

Lots of references to stuff I dont know about, especially with the Bracers and the new students.

Yes, to my knowledge you're going to be missing a huge amount of the appeal of CSIII, as it is the culmination and intersecting point of literally 16 years of world building, character development, and storytelling. You're doing yourself a disservice by playing the series with CSI as your starting point.

Last edited:

rashiakas

Cipher
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
On that note

Lots of references to stuff I dont know about, especially with the Bracers and the new students.

Yes, to my knowledge you're going to be missing a huge amount of the appeal of CSIII, as it is the culmination and intersecting point of literally 16 years of world building, character development, and storytelling. You're doing yourself a disservice by playing the series with CSI as your starting point.

I tried TiTS a few years ago and found it incredibly boring. Kinda wish there was another way to get the relevant story bits.

Jinn

Arcane
I tried TiTS a few years ago and found it incredibly boring. Kinda wish there was another way to get the relevant story bits.

You'll never feel the impact of those moments of connection unless you experience those games and characters in their full form.

And I honestly have a hard time seeing how the beginning of TitS is any more boring or a drag than the beginning of CS, from what I've seen. It's all about the same amount of slow burn.

Edit: I fixed my typo, Rean. Feel free to remove that silly rating.

Last edited:

Ysaye

Arbiter
Just finished act1. Some random thoughts:

HAHAHAHAHA, some of the characters are so THIHIHIHIHIH LETS FIGHT over the top stupid GHIHIHIHIHIHIHI LOOK AT ME I AM SO CRAZY that skipped the dialogue. This was never so bad in the other 2 games, and I really hope shit like that red haired psychopath dies off fast.
Overall, the antagonists are getting worse and worse. Where are great characters like crow and vita? Right now every bad boy/girl is like OH LOOK AT ME I AM SO STRONG HURR DURRR AND I COULD KILL YOU IN 10 SECONDS HURR DURR BUT LETS FIGHT HURR AND EVEN WHEN I LOSE THAT FIGHT I AM STILL STRONGER HURR DURR AND TELEPRT AWAY DURR HURR BUT I AM SO MUCH STRONGER HURR ... urgh

Overall I enjoy it, but it has nothing on CSI. I really hope it gets better storywise.

You haven't met any of the real antagonists yet (and I don't even mean Azure Sigfried and Vita, who do show up at in Act 2); they really only throw the grunts at you for the first three acts. That's not to say you won't have time to get acquainted with the movers and shakers; The "BigBads" do turn up a number of times casually but they either don't tell you who they really are, or in the case of one of the well known ones, they just laugh and just walk away; as they know they have you on strings anyway.

Nostaljaded

Savant
Hajimari no Kiseki self-composite character portraits (complete)
ST7sthU.png

Player can switch freely within each chapter between the 3 routes: Rean, Lloyd & C routes, but has to complete them all before proceeding to next chapter.
VDHpyHQ.jpg

CSZiBR0.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom