Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

STALKER Shadow of Chernobyl Mod Thread

cretin

Magister
Douchebag!
So uh, NLC 7 3.0 finally has a machine translation. https://www.moddb.com/mods/nlc/downloads/nlc-7-addons
https://www.moddb.com/games/stalker/downloads/nlc-7-build-30

Ive briefly played after finding videos of the mod very interesting. The machine translation is awful, but enough to know where to go and what to do i guess.

Are you the poster in the comments section for the mod known as "cretinous?" I had a good lol at your crankiness. Personally I would never play a machine-translated game these days. Life is too short and getting shorter.

Yes thats me. The dudes faq is like 90% cock riding the mod and 10% actually helpful. I had to learn basic shit from a stalker discord.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Gee, Anomaly story line(s) are awful.
Found Strelok, a Living Legend as they say, with his new comrades (Rogue and Stitch). Writing is bad. Western modders in Stalker should get back to weapon packs because they can't do anything else.

Had to beat some Monolith boss who is supposed to be immune to everything except Gauss, yet die like a bitch somewhere, somehow? Strelok mentioned that he have rare artefact in his dead body, problem is - body is nowhere to be found.
10/10, get fucked

Now - ChNPP here we go. What's worse than corridors full of Monolithians and 1shot kills?
Babysitting bunch of retards (Living Legend and his crew) through aforementioned corridors, being constantly pushed out by Rogue from cover and them switching stance from "don't shoot!" with gun holstered to mindless rampage unable to react to my commands.
Statistically, out of 10 raids 8 failed because they died like a bitch and their HP can't regenerate in combat stance. Since they are trigger happy - they rarely calm down.

Other story line is about going from one leader/important NPC (Beard, Sakharov, Lukash etc.) and being send to another important NPC.
Why?
No idea. Made a task on 5th NPC and nothing happens to the story, if there is any.

Next in line - Rerum for Dead Air, more retarded story lines. Caaaan't wait....
But first - need2upgrade my PC.
Anomaly and STALKER mods in generale are one of the few reasons to upgrade at all.
This is sad.

edit
oh my, second storyline tells me to go to NPP AGAIN
this time Monolith forces are aided with Sin members
what's the difference between Sin and Monolith? Well, Sin are basically murderhobos and never maintain their equipement, compared to Monolith with top notch gear in good condition

Oh and beating storylines unlocks new factions, all of them hostile to almost everyone
good riddance then

Last edited:

Katana1000S

Angrier OtherSide Refugee
What would be an eye candy visual improvement only mod for Stalker SoC ?

Never did finish this game and feel like giving it a go again but with improved visuals only before looking at more involved gameplay mods.

Gerrard

Arcane
Ok NLC is both interesting and infuriating.

Lets start with the good:
- Custom engine gives SOC good visuals without going over the top on dramatic lighting like some mods are want to do.
- Custom engine also allows for a much needed rework of stalkers gunplay/aiming.... this feels, I dare say, the best shooting I've played in a STALKER mod. It also has 3D scopes, albeit not PiP (presumably to avoid the inevitable performance hit seen in other mods).
- Weapons are all very high quality models with good animations. Some of the best I've ever seen for STALKER actually.
- Inventory system is the best Ive ever seen. You carry everything in your bag and then if you want stuff to be easily accessible, you have to mount it/put it on various parts of your clothing, early in the game you get a tactical rig which allows for keeping multiple magazines of ammo and grenades at the ready and so on.
- The zone is deadly, and doesn't feel like a theme park as it does in some mods with too many people wandering around. This mod apparently has the highest anomaly count of all mods and there are huge numbers of mutants too.
- "hardcore" economy based - sensibly - around Artifacts, rather than MISERY's retard "hardcore" economy based on absolute nonsense and make believe.
- Artifacts are actually useful and worth getting. Even "degenerates" - artifacts with only negative properties - are still valuable for trading.
- AMK style artifact transmutation.
- Probably the most amount of C&C ive ever seen in a STALKER mod. There are often multiple ways to deal with a quest and your choices affect later quests/characters.
- unlike MISERY mod item bloat, every single item in NLC has a purpose, and its usually logical and intuitive.

The bad:
- The beginning of this mod is awfully unfair, and repeatedly asks you to eat shit and then laughs in your face for actually doing it. An example of one very bad beginning quest is the standard fetch an artifact for Sid. You will be very low on HP and also sleep deprived (so running very slow as a result) - which the mod doesnt make you aware of - and picking up artifacts barehanded gives a random amount of damage and chance to bleed, so its pretty much pure luck if you can make it back to sid's bunker and get necessary meds as reward from him before dropping dead.
- the mod does the opposite of hand holding - it instead literally asks you to remember crucial details yourself to the point where there is apparently a note writing function in the game. Seriously - no "quest" entries in your PDA, no map markers etc. You still do quests, but all the information comes from dialogues and items.
- the machine translation is very rough, and this is a mod that requires attention to detail.
- Changes to mutants are annoying. Boars emit a minor radiation field that stops you from sprinting, blind dogs have a psy effect that gets stronger the larger the pack, pseudodogs have an infuriating effect that throws your aim and vision off, tushkanos cause massive bleeding. Zombies, for whatever reason, cause hunger and deafness just from being near you. I'm sure it will get worse from here but i havent found out yet.
Everything sounded incredibly :obviously: until the inevitable modder autism started.
:negative:

cretin

Magister
Douchebag!
Curratum

On discord, i mentioned wanting to steal Anomaly's great sound layering and distance attenuation and put it into a less autistic mod. Someone asked "like what" and I linked them your package. Cue much hubbub over you being a banned member from two discords for aggressively berating people for playing anomaly instead of coc
:excellent:

Curratum

Holy crap, the little shits still remember? :D

Yeah, I did get banned mostly because autists on there were stroking each other off, arms criss-crossed, over Narodnaya Solyanka and Joint Pak and I wasn't very onboard with that!

Well, I'm flattered the little unemployed, Eastern European, 20-year-old, barely literate shits that comprise the majority of those discords still remember me! :D

cretin

Magister
Douchebag!
managed to fix gunslingers shockingly low fps by forcing it to use my GPU through nvidia. I know should be obvious - isn't, because it still uses the xray exe after. Also absolute nature 4, despite containing a LOT more geometry due to the tree models, actually seems to make it run better. I'm guessing COP grass is insanely unoptimized despite its ugliness, which is probably why it had a render distance of like 5 meters in the original game release. So the game looks better and runs better. What a boon.

cretin

Magister
Douchebag!
Midyear 2020 roundup:

NLC 3.7 is out and with a machine translation that is allegedly a improvement over the previous one, although i really couldn't tell when i played it. It's still the worst machine translation in existence, primarily because (so the slavs tell me) NLC's writing is very good and the people talk like actual slavs, not scientific textbooks, so BEEP BOOP has trouble translating it accurately. One thing is the new translation also covers the characters who spoke in ukrainian and belarussian, so thats a definite improvement over the last translation.

3.7 is a perplexing update. On a technical level, nothing has changed, so if anyone was hoping for improvements in stability, nah. Feature wise, nothing is new, with the exception of the deletion of one line of quests and the replacement with a new line of quests. Oh and they decided to make the mod even harder on every difficulty, because fuck you.

The hand translation is being furiously worked on, and will apply to both 3.0 and 3.7, but is still several months away. Ultimately, while NLC remains by far the most impressive stalker modding effort I've ever seen, I can't recommend it to anyone unless you're really hardcore into stalker. This is an extremely difficult mod that requires attention to detail, and it just got even more difficult, and the machine translation is so bad it just adds an extra layer of difficulty for us monolingual gwailos. According to the slavs, while all the technical and gameplay stuff is of course fantastic, the real joy of NLC is the writing and story, and we can't enjoy that or even understand a fraction of what is going on with the MT, so its probably best to wait for the hand trans.

other thangs

I can recommend onegriot's Muh Immersion Pack for Anomaly. A merge of some of the larger and more quality Anomaly addons, along with a bunch of QoL improvements. I was indeed immersed.

Gunslinger has been quietly getting updates. Unless you follow the russian pages you dont actually hear about it, for example the moddb page has remained untouched since feburary. I cant speak to the full list of changes, but of significance is all the weapons have complete upgrade trees now, a few QoL improvements, the performance is better and they added the Bizon.

The Last Stalker was adapted to the OGSR engine. Can't comment much on this one, TLS is one of those niche esoteric fanfic story mods. I never played any version of it. A fella on discord summarized it as "good but really shit" :| .

NS2016 was adapted to the OGSR engine along with a new texture and weapon pack. Unfortunately for gwailos, the extensively hand translated version of NS2016 from moddb is not ported and its not just a matter of copying and pasting. No word from Codex on this development yet.

DoctorX's Call of the Zone is finally out. I haven't played much of it, but the few people who have sing its praises and rate it highly. One thing i dont like is DrX by default having addons such as warfighter built in, and his decision to use "vanilla" weapons that arent actually vanilla at all, including garish retexs, bad sounds and highly modified behavior. If you're bored of the aimlessness of CoC derivatives, this might be the cure. Protip: create a shortcut and use the -smap4096 switch to get good shadow quality. For whatever reason, the shadow quality by default is ATROCIOUS looking. worse than soc.

Other than that, theres not much happening. 2020 is the year of excruciatingly-close-yet-so-far-away in the mod scene. OLR 3.0, OP 2.2 on 64bit, Dead Air 1.0, hand crafted trans for NLC, and so on. It all seems to be always a few months away.

jebsmoker

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In I helped put crap in Monomyth
i'm working on a hand translation for goldsphere on and off with a small team, and it has made a great deal of progress. i can't promise when it'll come out, but it'll be sometime in the near future. it's a somewhat wacky but very good story total conversion built on top of OGSE 0692

cretin

Magister
Douchebag!
i'm working on a hand translation for goldsphere on and off with a small team, and it has made a great deal of progress. i can't promise when it'll come out, but it'll be sometime in the near future. it's a somewhat wacky but very good story total conversion built on top of OGSE 0692

The little i played of goldsphere was amazing, and probably the closest any STALKER mod comes to capturing the Roadside Picnic feel.

jebsmoker

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In I helped put crap in Monomyth
just for reference, zoloty shar/goldsphere is the mod that has
burers that have fully gone 1488 or whatever for some reason, and you're introduced to them after you wake up from being knocked out by having.. a barrel thrown to your head. it has to be seen to be believed

Last edited:

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
DoctorX's Call of the Zone is finally out. I haven't played much of it, but the few people who have sing its praises and rate it highly. One thing i dont like is DrX by default having addons such as warfighter built in, and his decision to use "vanilla" weapons that arent actually vanilla at all, including garish retexs, bad sounds and highly modified behavior. If you're bored of the aimlessness of CoC derivatives, this might be the cure. Protip: create a shortcut and use the -smap4096 switch to get good shadow quality. For whatever reason, the shadow quality by default is ATROCIOUS looking. worse than soc.

Does this differ much from his addons for Anomaly/COC? Or is it basically just a standalone version.

cretin

Magister
Douchebag!

Does this differ much from his addons for Anomaly/COC? Or is it basically just a standalone version.

Differs quite a lot in scope and size AFAIK.

Curratum

Just played Call of the Zone for a while...

Spawned as Loner in rookie village, explored all of Cordon bar the military outpost. Not a single NPC.
Went through the Garbage. No NPCs in the train station, near the tunnel or near the blockade leading to Rostok / Bar.
Went through Rostok, Bar is completely empty, even Barman is gone.
Went to Wild Territory, first area was empty then I got one-shot point blank by a military guy in the narrow tunnel.

God, what a colossal waste of time making that must have been. Deleted.

[Edit] I almost forgot - there was a pseudogiant some 100 meters outside of rookie village. Such dynamic A-Life, such immersion...

cretin

Magister
Douchebag!

Spawned as Loner in rookie village, explored all of Cordon bar the military outpost. Not a single NPC.
Went through the Garbage. No NPCs in the train station, near the tunnel or near the blockade leading to Rostok / Bar.
Went to Wild Territory, first area was empty then I got one-shot point blank by a military guy in the narrow tunnel.

[Edit] I almost forgot - there was a pseudogiant some 100 meters outside of rookie village. Such dynamic A-Life, such immersion...

Thats definitely not normal

Curratum

Thats definitely not normal

Did absolutely nothing, just unpacked it and played.

lightbane

Arcane
Soo, I was considering to play Call of Pryat after having not touched it for years. Which mods do you recommend me to use that are QoLs, graphic improvements and the like instead of hyper-autistic "realism" ones for a first playthrough?

cretin

Magister
Douchebag!
Soo, I was considering to play Call of Pryat after having not touched it for years. Which mods do you recommend me to use that are QoLs, graphic improvements and the like instead of hyper-autistic "realism" ones for a first playthrough?

gunslinger with AN3 lite is fun and looks great. Heres some screens from my recent play:

ss_admin_06-16-20_22-24-56_zaton.jpg

ss_admin_06-16-20_22-26-35_zaton.jpg

ss_admin_06-17-20_10-57-09_zaton.jpg

ss_admin_06-17-20_17-29-25_jupiter.jpg

to install AN3 lite to gunslinger, first install AN3 lite to its own folder, then delete shaders.xr in the gamedata folder and copy the gamedata folder to your gunslinger folder. I dont bother with Atmosfear 3, because it changes the colors and weathers for the worse IMO, in addition to adding obnoxious events like acid rain, fallout and psy storms. That stuff is probably cool for someone first experiencing it, but to me these things are just mandatory 5 minute time outs from actually playing the game. The game already has blow outs, it doesn't need more shit like that. As for why AN3 lite instead of AN4, because AN4's added geometry is unoptimized, and the changes make the scenes look way too busy. Also AN4 fucks with the ai spawns and I'm pretty sure it results in less activity. Gunslinger has engine edits, so for things like grass draw distance can be easily set through the console with the command r__detail_radius (thats two underscores in r__detail)

alternatively, you could do the same things i just described with OWR3 instead of gunslinger. OWR3 doesnt have the bells and whistles of gunslinger, but it is complete, and before gunslinger was the highest quality weapon pack for CoP by far. OWR3 is also much closer to vanilla balance.

Icewater

Artisanal Shitposting™
Patron
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2
looks nice. where can I find the most up to date translation for gunslinger?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom