Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dwarf Fortress - How the hell do I play this silly thing?

Cael

Arcane
Can I adopt trolls? I have this female cave troll charge out of the cavern I tunneled into and then just sat there by the doors to the cavern (yes, the very first thing I did when I tunneled into the cavern system is to build a wall and doors between it and the rest of the fortress). My dwarves just walk right past her like she isn't there and she isn't attacking anyone. Having a bunch of tamed trolls around would be hilarious when the gobbos finally attack :D

RoBoBOBR

Arcane
Patron
I don't know why this happened
You defined this room as dining room, that makes it a meeting hall as well, so idle dwarves and non-pastured/non-chained animal will hang there. Create zones for animals, pasture them there.

You can not "adopt" trolls, only creatures with the [PET] or [PET_EXOTIC] creature token can be trained. Trolls don't have them.

Read http://dwarffortresswiki.org/ already.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
You can not "adopt" trolls, only creatures with the [PET] or [PET_EXOTIC] creature token can be trained. Trolls don't have them.

Proper answer: your Trolls are faulty, fix them by giving them PET_EXOTIC and TRAINABLE_WAR -flags. Remove the LEARNS -flag if you want to be able to butcher them.

Also your ethics are faulty, add USE_EVIL_ANIMALS to dorf entity file.

Cael

Arcane
My little tunnel in the ground is at the base of a hill, surrounded on three sides by rivers. The big one is below the entrance to my little colony. The smaller one is on the plateau above, and it joins the bigger one in a spectacular waterfall.

Since there is already rivers on three sides (the big on runs from the north and curves east where it joins the smaller one coming north-south), I decided to make a second waterfall by digging a channel from the smaller river to the larger one, cutting across the top. This will give me a hill to myself with enough space for a depot, surface farms and a nice big pasture for the grazing animals.

All was fine, until new migrants came. From the north. Which is now cut off by a 4 tile wide channel. So, what do they do? Instead of waiting for me to build a bridge for them, they all decided to go swimming.

Let me reiterate: Waterfalls at the end of BOTH channels of the smaller river.

Yeah. Half of them didn't make it...

:deathclaw:

Serus

Arcane
Patron

Cael

Arcane
Oh my god! I had my 6 hens incubate their eggs and next thing I know, I have chicks EVERYWHERE!!! My 3x10 chicken pen isn't going to be enough!

Cael

Arcane
I was imagining the poor dwarf who first opened that door after the chicksplosion inside...

giphy.gif

Cael

Arcane
UGH! Was playing happily and then a caravan arrives and the game crashes. Tried again and it crashed again at the same spot!

Game also crashed when trying to revive an abandoned colony.

Grr!!!

Cael

Arcane
Can you prevent immigrants from entering your dwarf colony?
Yes. Drown them or lava them is the easiest ways. I did a series of drawbridge catapults that also seem to work. Why would you, though? The more, the merrier, especially when they haven't made any friends in the fort yet, so them dying isn't as bad. Troll fodder, anyone?

Valky

Arcane
Manlet
Why should outsiders profit from the fruit of the labor that your original colony worked for? Otherwise I would say, put them to work mining and segregate them as a lower caste.

Cael

Arcane
Why should outsiders profit from the fruit of the labor that your original colony worked for? Otherwise I would say, put them to work mining and segregate them as a lower caste.
I find that I only start getting things done when my population start hitting the 30 mark. Before that, it was too much work, too few hands.

Cael

Arcane
Welp, that was fun. 1 year into the current game and suddenly 22 migrants show up. Pop went from 18 to 40.

Luckily, I needed some rocks (for crafts), so was doing a mass apartment excavation during the whole of winter...

Cael

Arcane
The most passive-aggressive thing I've seen in DF.

DF-Tombstone.png

I guess the wife wasn't happy with him being a soldier..

Cael

Arcane
I can't think of anything more terrifying than a dwarf wearing one of these...

DF-Thong.png

Note: HE.

Cael

Arcane
Guys, any ideas, tips, fun stuff that I can use a magma crab for? I have about 7 of the bloody things in cages, both males and females, and I can't butcher them, drown them or any of the usual things people do to get rid of things and reclaim the cages.

Catacombs

Arcane
Patron
Guys, any ideas, tips, fun stuff that I can use a magma crab for? I have about 7 of the bloody things in cages, both males and females, and I can't butcher them, drown them or any of the usual things people do to get rid of things and reclaim the cages.
Can you get them to fight each other?

Cael

Arcane
Can you get them to fight each other?
No. Same species don't generally fight each other, unfortunately, unless under exceptional circumstance (e.g., highly compressed into a single square).

Cael

Arcane
I don't know why people hate the elves in DF:

DF-War-Animals.png

War jaguars, giant war jaguar, war leopards, giant war leopards, war grizzlies, war giant black bears, war bobcats, war cougars, war giant cougars...

Cael

Arcane
I... I...

DF-Spiked-Yak-Bone-Ball.png

What the FUCK have you been feeding that yak, you perverse little twerps!

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom